• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Looks like we're getting a new Firmware update for the Switch this week after all (was expecting next one, what with Switch Lite releasing and all). That's Ver. 9.0.0, by the way, so big update.

No idea what this one does yet, other than fix this:

Added the following system functionality:
  • Added a search feature for the News Channel.
    • Channels can be searched using filters or free text.
  • Added "Display QR Code to Check In" to User Settings.
    • You can display a QR Code on-screen to check in using your Nintendo Account.
  • Alarm Notifications have been added to System Settings > Notifications.
    • You can check or delete pre-set alarms.
    • Alarms can be set up only within supported software (to be added at a later time).
    • A controller firmware update may be required to use this feature.
  • You can now configure touch screen sensitivity settings.
    • Select between Standard and Stylus sensitivity (optimized for stylus input).
  • Added the option to turn on/off the system button input (Nintendo Switch Lite only).
    • When this setting is turned off the system no longer receives input from the console buttons, with the exception of the Capture and HOME Buttons, and can only be operated from a wirelessly paired controller (sold separately).
    • This setting is on by default and can only be turned off if a compatible controller (sold separately) is wirelessly paired to the console.
    • The setting will automatically turn back on when the console is restarted or after returning from sleep mode.
  • Added "Online Play Invites" section to the User's page.
    • Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
    • Resolved an issue where some users can't start the Fire Emblem: Three Houses game, and get an error instead.

There's also a controller update.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can seemingly send invites to people to play online directly through the OS.

Also, AC icons (or were those already there?)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Ver. 9.0.0 (Released September 9, 2019)

• Alarms can be set up only within supported software (to be added at a later time).
  • Added the option to turn on/off the system button input (Nintendo Switch Lite only).
    • When this setting is turned off the system no longer receives input from the console buttons, with the exception of the Capture and HOME Buttons, and can only be operated from a wirelessly paired controller (sold separately).
    • This setting is on by default and can only be turned off if a compatible controller (sold separately) is wirelessly paired to the console.
    • The setting will automatically turn back on when the console is restarted or after returning from sleep mode.
    • Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.
    • Resolved an issue where some users can't start the Fire Emblem: Three Houses game, and get an error instead.

OP
OP
Lite_Agent

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Patch notes:

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

The lack of folders and icon management continues to infuriate me.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the game invite stuff is nice at least.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still missing some basic-ass features:
  1. Folders
  2. Detailed play-time statistics
  3. Integrated voice chat
  4. Party function
  5. Messages (I don't give a fuck about the "think of the children!" excuse, make it off by default then)

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
Do the Alarm Notifications use the HOME button LED? Maybe that's why it says controllers may need to be updated.

EDIT: Yup! Checked the system settings and you can now use the Notification LED.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
How does the game invite stuff work? It needs to already be supported in the software, right? I'd still need to use the phone app to, say, invite someone to play Splatoon 2—just that now they could accept the invite through their Switch rather than their phone?

Oct 25, 2017
I can actually invite my friends to play games. Holy shit.

Remind me why the people who get defensive when we criticize the Switch's lack of features were against this specific feature.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Still missing some basic-ass features:
  1. Folders
  2. Detailed play-time statistics
  3. Integrated voice chat
  4. Party function
  5. Messages (I don't give a fuck about the "think of the children!" excuse, make it off by default then)
Maybe by 15.0.0?

I'm still desperate for folders and achievements :(

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Alarm Notifications have been added to System Settings > Notifications.

What??

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It shows what game from NES/SNES Online you and your friends are playing. Was it always like this or is it something new?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would like games to allow me to subscribe to online events and get notified, PS4 handles that reasonably well.

The lack of folders and icon management continues to infuriate me.

I actually find that it makes the system very hard to use after you get a lot of games. It is extremely unintuitive - and that's a problem.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Great update. Game invites should have been there at NSO's launch, but better late than never I guess

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
How does the game invite stuff work? It needs to already be supported in the software, right? I'd still need to use the phone app to, say, invite someone to play Splatoon 2—just that now they could accept the invite through their Switch rather than their phone?

I don't believe you could ever invite people in the app so I'm guessing this is a feature that will have to be added to all software. I sure hope it won't be locked behind the app lol

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Invites are long overdue.

I don't want to talk about folders. It's upsetting.