• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to have a setting to keep the Switch in sleep mode when I undock it is a big deal for me. Making the transition from docked to carrying case faster.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So no fix for the console being warm when connected to internet via a cable? That's bad.

Also, no Xc2 player icons is not smart at all, in fact they should simply let the players use any of the SSBU icons in the main account.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
That save data transfer thing is interesting. Could make it viable to actually have multiple active Switches. My desire for a powerful TV-only Switch is rising again.

With cloud backup you could already transfer a save to a new system (without loosing it on other systems).

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I still have a weird UI bug that doesn't let me browse the OS in handheld mode with the left joycon (either d-pad or analog stick): basically if i press down it does nothing sometimes.

I've heard somewhere a while ago that i have to reset the console but that would mean cancelling all my data and redownloading it again (i have cloud saves) which is a lot of work.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to finally be able to unsub from default news feeds. Such a pain in the ass to have to deal with a US, EU, and JP feed -- especially during events when the same stuff gets posted across all three.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Is the data transfer between systems in anticipation of the rumoured new hardware refreshes?
No. You could already do this, just not a la carte on a game-by-game basis.

The feature that already existed - transfer all user and save data - is actually better suited to migrating your stuff to a brand-new system.

But in a world before that feature existed, you might have already created a second profile on a second system. Not having the option to move over data from one system without replacing all your data on a second system really sucked.

It meant my wife, who created her Splatoon profile on her system but had her BotW file on my launch unit, couldn't move her BotW file without wiping her Splatoon file.

This fixes that for people who don't have NSO.

So I can sort all games by play time... but I can't view the play time for all games?

Yeah, I think we should give Nintendo feedback about displaying play times when they're sorted that way, just like how the publisher name is listed when sorting by publisher.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Someone needs to test out the save data transfer in v8.0.0 and see how it it does. Need someone's save data that can't be backed up to the cloud for sacrifice.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Welp, now I can finally deduce my 1-2 Switch playtime (nestled between two "10 hours or more" games). Seems it adds up all profile's playtimes since some games that I've replayed on other profiles are out of order from my main profile metrics. Curious to redownload the Puyo Puyo Tetris S demo and see where it falls. Played that so much those first two months

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
Not waking up automatically when undocked/unplugged is good. Now how about making it not wake up when docked/plugged in either?
It just seems like Parental Options to restrict VR Mode in games that support them (which may imply we might see more than the 3 we currently know about).
Yeah, I think this is the secret most interesting change. A new system-level option doesn't seem like something that would happen for one Labo game and a couple patched modes into old games.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Transferring saves between hardware. How MYSTERIOUS.

I honestly don't get Nintendo dripfeeding these avatars. Splatoon 2 came out nearly TWO YEARS AGO and we are just now getting Off the Hook icons. I get holding some back for new releases like Yoshi, but are these things extremely difficult to add? Is it the Nintendo equivalent of changing your PSN name in terms of hoop jumping? Take all the Smash avatars and make them Switch avatars, boom you've improved that feature tenfold.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Splatoon 2 icons added almost 2 years after release. Guess we'll have to wait until December 2021 before we get Smash Bros icons.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017

This feature being dropped tells me that we are getting those new revisions sooner rather then later. I know that we can't really map past actions to the current administration, but for the New 3DS there was a two month wait between announcement and release. I'm ready Nintendo, I'm ready!

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Hopefully when Nintendo releases the Switch 2 they move the OS over instead of starting from scratch again. It seems silly to waste all the work done when Nintendo seems to struggle adding features to the OS.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I honestly don't get Nintendo dripfeeding these avatars. Splatoon 2 came out nearly TWO YEARS AGO and we are just now getting Off the Hook icons. I get holding some back for new releases like Yoshi, but are these things extremely difficult to add? Is it the Nintendo equivalent of changing your PSN name in terms of hoop jumping? Take all the Smash avatars and make them Switch avatars, boom you've improved that feature tenfold.

They should have somehow tied them to your purchases. Adds small little incentive to buy morw games.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Switch avatars being tied to game accomplishments isn't a half-bad idea. I know some are diametrically opposed to achievements of any kind, but at least you'd be doing it for something palatable.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
They didn't even mention the best QoL change: pressing right on the "All Software" icon now loops back around to the first icon on the menu. I don't remember that being a thing before (and I hope it wasn't, because that would make me look bad).
Does that work the other way around? Can I press left to go to all software immediately?

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
They didn't even mention the best QoL change: pressing right on the "All Software" icon now loops back around to the first icon on the menu. I don't remember that being a thing before (and I hope it wasn't, because that would make me look bad).
Pressing left on the first icon takes you to the "All Software" icon as well.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you get this from? It's far more similar to the Wii U's Quick Start OS (built into the Gamepad) than the 3DS.
All of the reverse engineering efforts point to the Switch OS being a fork of the 3DS one. It's diverged pretty heavily, but it still has the same code names and general design.

Also I find it incredibly doubtful that there's any meaningful technical relationship between the Switch OS and anything that was running on the Wii U Gamepad.

Oct 28, 2017
So you can sort software by playtime. So the system knows the playtime for every game.

When am I going to get a proper activity log?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
All of the reverse engineering efforts point to the Switch OS being a fork of the 3DS one. It's diverged pretty heavily, but it still has the same code names and general design.

Also I find it incredibly doubtful that there's any meaningful technical relationship between the Switch OS and anything that was running on the Wii U Gamepad.

It's a similar layout and feature set. It has a news feed, list of recently played games, shortcuts to user settings, system settings and eShop. That's not similar to how the 3DS worked or was laid out. It's also incredibly small, similar to how the Gamepad OS was and the code name was similar to QuickStart which is what the Gamepad OS was called.

Oct 28, 2017
So I just checked this out and my first reaction is holy shit I sure did play that Puyo Puyo Tetris demo a lot huh? I played it more than the likes of Doom for crying out loud. The DEMO. I remember that demo being addictive as fuck but damn that puts it in pperspective. Combine that with the full game and that's a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Second reaction is oh this doesn't arrange the home menu this is lame.