• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You are bloody infuriating. I am not defending Nintendo. They are fucking insane when it comes to online.

All I am doing is helping to stop the spread of misinformation which is helping to cause the confusion.

What you have claimed in previous posts about Nintendo's account system is false. I have merely pointed that out.

For what is worth, I also believe this whole account thing is a mess, why name everything different, now we have Nintendo Switch Online lolwtf

All of those accounts are under one account for me, they're all hooked together.

It's not false that at one point we had Nintendo user ID. Nintendo account. NNId. Switch user Id. Nintendo nickname. Etc.

It's also not my fault it's confusing. It's Nintendo's. Instead of calling it Nintendo user ID, they could have called it Nintendo account username. Which you can associate with an email, choose a nickname, access my Nintendo, and use to login to Switch and other systems, and buy Switch online.

Nintendo made this mess. Not me. As you can PLAINLY SEE. Im not the only one who thinks it's a fucking mess that at least seems to slowly consolidating.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not false that at one point we had Nintendo user ID. Nintendo account. NNId. Switch user Id. Nintendo nickname. Etc.
Yes it is false. There has only ever been two account systems. Nintendo Account (which contains feilds like email address and user ID and which has a reward system called My Nintendo) and NNID for legacy systems. That is it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes it is false. There has only ever been two account systems. Nintendo Account (which contains feilds like email address and user ID and which has a reward system called My Nintendo) and NNID for legacy systems. That is it.

Different things doesn't just mean separate accounts.
What about Nintendo Switch User Id? Forgot that one. :P

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do you mean Switch profiles? They are not an online account system and exist separately so that people can use a Switch if they don't have an online account e.g. if they don't have internet. I'm sure PS4/Xbox One have profiles too.

Separate confirmed!

(Again glad it's getting consolidated)

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Separate confirmed!

(Again glad it's getting consolidated)
No. It is not getting consolidated. After this update you can still create and use a Switch profile without an online account. Just like PS4. You just can't change the link to another account once they have been linked like you could before. Also it isn't an online account as you originally stated and I was saying was false.

Nintendo has like 6 different online account systems running in parallel currently which is a mess. Hopefully the update points to some consolidation.

As I have stated numerous times before Nintendo have only ever had two online account systems and one is legacy.

Btw congrats on being the fourth entry on my ignore list.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Where did this unlink thing come from? What's the logic behind it?
To tie your Nintendo Switch Online subscription to your Nintendo Account, and this subscription requires association to a Nintendo Switch username, Nintendo Switch user account, and your purchases.

In my opinion, this is a consolidation of a "subscription-based account", made so if you have a Family Plan, you can sign on to a different Switch console in the household and still have access to your Family Plan. This "subscription-based account" is not tied to "local accounts" made on the Switch, so those accounts are separate from your Family Plan, unless they are registered under your Family Plan by adding the "local accounts" to them, effectively upgrading them.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For what is worth, I also believe this whole account thing is a mess, why name everything different, now we have Nintendo Switch Online lolwtf
What are you even talking about? It is called Nintendo Switch Online because currently their active console is in fact the Switch. It is relevant to the product it is on, and will probably be shortened to Nintendo Online later down the track when new systems come out.

Holy jesus people obfuscate such simple things. Nintendo accounts are two logins only, 3DS/Wii(U) and Nintendo Account that is for anything right now and most likely beyond. Nintendo Account has friend codes to share your name, you log-in with either an email or username, and on the Switch itself is local accounts just like Xbox/PlayStation.

Jesus. All this hurts my head on how simple it is. There is no changes, there is no consolidations. It is staying the exact same account-wise as it is right now, just that they are making the online integrate into your Nintendo Account.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, but you can do so before the firmware goes live. Create a new user account on the Switch, delink your Nintendo Account from an older account, then link it to your new user account.

I think...
So our online names will continue to be the names we can change anytime we want in our switch profiles and not a seperate name for switch online?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So our online names will continue to be the names we can change anytime we want in our switch profiles and not a seperate name for switch online?
I think it's online names that you can change anytime with the Switch profiles and Switch online, because by the end of this, Nintendo Account will tie to both your Switch Online account (Nintendo Account) and your Switch profile.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, it is. Pokemon is developed by GameFreak and Co-owned by Nintendo via The Pokemon Company.

His point is right. It's a TPC service which isn't a Nintendo company.

And Nintendo own Pokémon along Gamefreak and Creatures regardless of TPC. TPC "just" is the brand manager as a separate company in which Nintendo owns 33% as a joint venture.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Ah, I just realized, since game saves are linked to your local Switch accounts, linking them permanently to your Nintendo Account effectively makes a cloud save backup for your game saves associated with that linked local Switch account.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
It's a slow and gruesome process, but the nintendo's account is finally becoming how it's handled by any sane modern company.
I don't see anything wrong with that, other than it's something they should've done at Switch release (although WiiU's early exit probably messed up some of their scheduling)

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean we're back to 3DS/Wii U days where only customer service could transfer accounts between systems or am I misinterpreting something?

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
So does this mean we're back to 3DS/Wii U days where only customer service could transfer accounts between systems or am I misinterpreting something?
Hasn't that always been the case with Switch?
If anything, this consolidation of user profile and account should pave the way to do proper implementation for account transfer.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
For the people like Boiled Goose confused with different Nintendo accounts system, Switch is my first Nintendo console since SNES, so I can't talk about previous consoles, but I always have just one account system from Switch release date. I guess it has been consolidated at least from that date?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

Hasn't that always been the case with Switch?
If anything, this consolidation of user profile and account should pave the way to do proper implementation for account transfer.

No and No.

Againthe update is to prevent things like save duping and to bring user id and nintendo account in line like on any other system.

You never needed to call to have accounts moved on switch. I believe there was even one poster here that had three accounts one for him, his daughter and a shared account across two switches and the regularly passed the shared account between the switches to play games.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For the people like Boiled Goose confused with different Nintendo accounts system, Switch is my first Nintendo console since SNES, so I can't talk about previous consoles, but I always have just one account system from Switch release date. I guess it has been consolidated at least from that date?

Everything is definitely better integrated on Switch. Glad it's been working out for you!

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
No and No.

Againthe update is to prevent things like save duping and to bring user id and nintendo account in line like on any other system.

You never needed to call to have accounts moved on switch. I believe there was even one poster here that had three accounts one for him, his daughter and a shared account across two switches and the regularly passed the shared account between the switches to play games.
Oh didn't know that since I only have 1 Switch.
So I guess as long as you have working Switch you can just unlink your account and use it on another Switch?
As far as I know, there's no way to remotely unlink yet, right?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh didn't know that since I only have 1 Switch.
So I guess as long as you have working Switch you can just unlink your account and use it on another Switch?
As far as I know, there's no way to remotely unlink yet, right?
yeah never seen a remote way yet sadly. But it is fairly easy to unlink it from the switch itself and then log in using it on another switch and play your games.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
WTF? I can't even sell my switch after this update? what if my switch is broken?
Where did you get this idea from?

You can deactivate and delete your Switch account on the Switch. But deleting a Nintendo Account requires going through other means, such as getting in contact with Nintendo. In this case, Nintendo Account is separate from Switch accounts.

I wonder if a membership can be purchased through the eShop with a gift card balance or only a credit card.

It should.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding new OS features, I seriously need folders.
Way too many indie titles on my machine that I want to organize properly.

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
Does this change anything for child accounts? Or rather: I set up a child account for my little brother. Will he be able to "upgrade" it to a normal account in the future? So he doesn't depend on me anymore?

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So what they mean by linking your account, it's the same as linking your account together with an psn account? It can't be unlinked either.
It's the same kind of stuff if I'm not misunderstanding anything?

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
They should throw in an otter one.

51c726b9b6d33c38cce24680dfe0e057.png

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure you have had the option to consolidate them on your switch since day one. It even brings over your eshop funds.

By not consolidating I mean NNID still exists. There's even an option to sign in to your Nintendo account with your NNID.

edit:

it's also under linked accounts if you check your nintendo account