• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This is to prevent save game-duping with multiple profiles.

Imagine you have two profiles on your Switch. You connect your online ID to profile A, sync your save from the cloud to the device, then unlink the online account and relink it to profile B, sync the saves again, now you have two separate profiles with the same saves and basically duped everything.

This is to prevent that.
This is the most likely explanation and I believe it should be added to OP so that people stop panicking / jumping to conclusions.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
This is to prevent save game-duping with multiple profiles.

Imagine you have two profiles on your Switch. You connect your online ID to profile A, sync your save from the cloud to the device, then unlink the online account and relink it to profile B, sync the saves again, now you have two separate profiles with the same saves and basically duped everything.

This is to prevent that.
I always assumed game saves is tied to a Nintendo account. Does the user have to create a Nintendo account before they can save?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May be to combat piracy? Otherwise I don't understand as well.
Because it's not a big deal. Normally other online platforms dont let you do this anyway. For example you can't disconnect your PSN ID from the account you use on PS4, though you can create an account on the PS4 that has no ties to your main Sony account.

This is just moving it closer to you having a single account you can log in anywhere with. And a single identity to be used across all third party games rather than letting someone troll and be a shit, have that account user banned but they can still create a new account and attach their Nintendo network ID to it.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
By not consolidating I mean NNID still exists. There's even an option to sign in to your Nintendo account with your NNID.

edit:

it's also under linked accounts if you check your nintendo account
Because that is impossible.

NNID are legacy accounts used only for 3DS and Wii U, you can ignore they exist.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As i understand, with this update the system becomes the regular jail of a console (good against piracy, bad for me, a tinkerer).
Buuuut torna will surely come before, so no update before i am forced to, and until then, i can continue porting what i am porting.

As for the rest of us, non tinkerers or multiplayers, i hope the update comes stable and performing well enough for our social activities adepts.
Have fun, and leave the hate behind.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
His point is right. It's a TPC service which isn't a Nintendo company.

And Nintendo own Pokémon along Gamefreak and Creatures regardless of TPC. TPC "just" is the brand manager as a separate company in which Nintendo owns 33% as a joint venture.

Nintendo don't own Game Freak. As Game Freak also make games for PlayStation, Xbox and PC.
header.jpg

Giga Wrecker for PC (2017)
loading.gif

OP
OP
Lite_Agent

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Added this to the OP to clear things up a bit, since previous edit seemingly wasn't enough. Please point out any incorrect tidbit.

Things that will not change:

- you will still be able to transfer your account using system transfer
- you will still be able to use a Nintendo Account across several Nintendo Switch consoles, but as always, you will only be able to have one active console
- you will still be able to switch regions on your Nintendo Account
- you won't have to call Nintendo Support to transfer anything unless your console broke down or was stolen)

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, it is. Pokemon is developed by GameFreak and Co-owned by Nintendo via The Pokemon Company.

His point is right. It's a TPC service which isn't a Nintendo company.

And Nintendo own Pokémon along Gamefreak and Creatures regardless of TPC. TPC "just" is the brand manager as a separate company in which Nintendo owns 33% as a joint venture.

lol so much misinformation.

Pokémon is its own thing. The reason why TPC was created in the first place is to mange itself independently.

Game Freak, Creatures are NOT owned by Nintendo. TPC is 32% owned by Nintendo, but GF/Creatures have the majority.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol so much misinformation.

Pokémon is its own thing. The reason why TPC was created in the first place is to mange itself independently.

Game Freak, Creatures are NOT owned by Nintendo. TPC is 32% owned by Nintendo, but GF/Creatures have the majority.

What misinformation I said? I didn't say that Gamefreak and Creatures are owned by Nintendo but that they own the copyright of the franchise along Nintendo.

And yeah, it's 32%. That part I got wrong.

Nintendo don't own Game Freak. As Game Freak also make games for PlayStation, Xbox and PC.
header.jpg

Giga Wrecker for PC (2017)
loading.gif

I didn't say that Nintendo owns Gamefreak. I said that Nintendo owns Pokémon along Gamefreak and Creatures.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest feature will be denial of online features if you haven't paid up.

Deleted member 3769

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're using three accounts with different emails on the switch for different countries will this change anything?

Oct 27, 2017
The big take away here is that the Switch's online service and the NES games aren't launching until nearly 11 PM Eastern tonight in the US.

They are literally putting this out at the last minute to hit that 9/18 launch date. Should we be worried?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The big take away here is that the Switch's online service and the NES games aren't launching until nearly 11 PM Eastern tonight in the US.

They are literally putting this out at the last minute to hit that 9/18 launch date. Should we be worried?

They're not "putting it out at the last minute". They're putting it out at a set time worldwide and it happens to be the 18th in the US when that time happens, so they say it's launching on the 18th.