• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly Nintendo has been diligently maintaining a list of all available Nintendo Switch games, along with extra details like regional breakdowns, amount of games per publisher, and yearly lists. Here are some interesting tidbits from the list:
  • There are 1,868 games released for the Switch worldwide. 1,702 of them are in North America only, 1,689 in Europe, and 1,043 in Japan.
  • 182 games have been released in 2019 so far. 2018 saw 1,298 games total.
  • Hamster has the most games published with 137. Most of their published games are the ACA Neo-Geo titles. Nintendo comes in second with 63 games, while Plug In Digital has 30.
SOURCE

Plus some of my own observations:
  • On average, 4.3 games are releasing on the Switch daily this year so far
  • On average, 3.5 games were released per day on the Switch last year
  • I believe the Switch is as of right now the second largest Nintendo library ever already, only behind the Wii (I may be wrong, and will appreciate a correction on this one)
Put simply: holy fuck. What a turnaround from the Wii U days.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Indie or not, it's an impressive amount of software and I also love that many of these smaller games consistently get deep discounts.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Getting the various different development environments like Unity and UE4 available from the start paid off

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
There is some serious shovelware on there, but there are mountains of excellent stuff as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even if 70% is shovelware (I think it's less than that, but let's go with it), that's ~400 good or better games to play.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that "yes, most of them are indie..." even needs to be implicitly or explicitly acknowledged. Having a big publisher's logo in the splash screen is not in any way an intrinsic indicator of high quality.

Games are games and the indie scene is in a golden age. I adore the fact that the Switch has become such a natural home for it.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile their first party out put is nowhere near. I understand for a person which is switch or Nintendo centric but for people who got the console for solely Nintendo games is pretty dry.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile their first party out put is nowhere near. I understand for a person which is switch or Nintendo centric but for people who got the console for solely Nintendo games is pretty dry.
As someone who mostly bought it as a Nintendo games fan, I can say I am really happy with it

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest though....the mass majority are mobile level indie titles.

I'm not shitting on the Switch but there's nowhere near 1800 proper games on the system no matter what the store says.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of games on PS4 and XBO and PC are indie games as well, a lot of them are absolute crap too.

It's irrelevant.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who mostly bought it as a Nintendo games fan, I can say I am really happy with it

Well I am not neither are my children I have bought 5 games for the switch, super Mario odyssey, breath of the wild, Kirby, super Mario U ( which is a port) and donkey Kong ( another port )... so they are super lacking and I know and I am sure I am not the only one, the switch compared to the 3Ds witch my daughter keeps playing disregarding the switch because of the library.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch eShop desperately needs an overhaul given how many games there now are. It was just about acceptable at launch but now it's very difficult to discover good games you may have missed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I am not neither are my children I have bought 5 games for the switch, super Mario odyssey, breath of the wild, Kirby, super Mario U ( which is a port) and donkey Kong ( another port )... so they are super lacking and I know and I am sure I am not the only one, the switch compared to the 3Ds witch my daughter keeps playing disregarding the switch because of the library.
I mean there's more stuff available on there than just that, you just haven't bought it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

That's not quite fair, Nintendo always drip-feeds their first-party releases; the Switch isn't much better or worse in that regard. But it's so much easier to deal with now thanks to the flood of indie and 3rd party support. I've never before owned a Nintendo system and thought, "stop it with all these games" (maybe the DS.)

Now, we definitely haven't seen the benefits of this supposed "unified portable+handheld software development." I am disappointed in the lack of non-port 1st party games.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The 3DS' first party library in its first two years was worse than the Switch's though...

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Impressive but I am not surprised. Nintendo needs to think about how they want to highlight high quality games in the future. The news section is good but doesn't make up for the poor design of the eShop.

Really, the only area in which it is lacking right now is AAA-games by large third parties.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's more stuff available on there than just that, you just haven't bought it.

I am taking solely Nintendo games, which I play with my child, so there is little, third party I have the other consoles for that so that ( other stuff I have it somewhere else).

The 3DS' first party library in its first two years was worse than the Switch's though...

Didn't feel like that though, maybe I am mistaken.

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
I'd gladly take quality over quantity and I really doubt there are 400 games worth of the time or money on the Switch right now. I'd be surprised if there are 50 of them even.

61 Switch games have a Metacritic score of 85 or higher

215 Switch games have a score of 79 or above.

506 Switch games have a score of 70 or above.

So while there is still likely a lot of shovel ware in the eShop there are still probably at least 500 titles that are average at worst.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd gladly take quality over quantity and I really doubt there are 400 games worth of the time or money on the Switch right now. I'd be surprised if there are 50 of them even.

I own close to 70 and I'd be hard pressed to find even one which I wouldn't consider worth the time or money. Maybe Mr. Shifty? That was still good fun while it lasted actually.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Can you feel the drought the Switch is having, it's really worse than WiiU ever really! 2013 was a golden year for WiiU after all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am taking solely Nintendo games, which I play with my child, so there is little, third party I have the other consoles for that so that ( other stuff I have it somewhere else).

There's Splatoon 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Pokemon Let's Go, Super Mario Party, Fire Emblem Warriors, and I refrained from naming any ports. This is just more first party stuff available on there you don't have.

Two years into its launch, this was all the major non port first party games 3DS had:
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Mario Kart 7

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There's Splatoon 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Pokemon Let's Go, Super Mario Party, Fire Emblem Warriors, and I refrained from naming any ports. This is just more first party stuff available on there you don't have.

Two years into its launch, this was all the major non port first party games 3DS had:
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Mario Kart 7

To be fair BotW is the only Switch game at Kid Icarus' level. And it's not even an exclusive!

Nov 8, 2017
It's definitely long past the threshold where I can keep up with the releases by using the shop itself and keeping tabs on it. Still, better to have all the games then not have them.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

In 2011 the 3DS launched with Nintendogs, Pilotwings and Steel Diver, in the summer got ports of Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time, and Pokémon Rumble Blast and got Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 at the end of the year.
In 2012 the 3DS got Kid Icarus: Uprising, Spirit Camera, Mario Tennis, NSMB2 and Paper Mario Sticker Star.

That's off the top of my head so there's stuff missing.

The Switch's first party lineups for 2011 and 2012 have been much stronger.