• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Nintendo needs some eshop quality control

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
There's something coming out it's hard to keep up.ive sworn off digital games as long as there's physical titles that interested in and haven't gotten yet. That way I can avoid double dipping like iended up doing with Golf Story. I share my games with my siblings who have Switches and my SO has a Switch as well, so physical allows us all to play the game instead of it being locked to just my Switch account. I still haven't even caught up with all the physical titles I want to play.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's Splatoon 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Pokemon Let's Go, Super Mario Party, Fire Emblem Warriors, and I refrained from naming any ports. This is just more first party stuff available on there you don't have.

Two years into its launch, this was all the major non port first party games 3DS had:
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Mario Kart 7

It's worth noting that Fire Emblem Awakening only came out in 2012 in Japan, North America and Europe had to wait another year for the game.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we didn't have to do this "nothing on the Switch counts except first party" song and dance every time the library comes up.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Would be interesting to know how many physical releases it has.

I have the feeling it would be more then the wii over the same time period. I for sure have waaaaaaaaaaaaay more physical games then I did for the wii 2 years in.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
There's Splatoon 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Pokemon Let's Go, Super Mario Party, Fire Emblem Warriors, and I refrained from naming any ports. This is just more first party stuff available on there you don't have.

Two years into its launch, this was all the major non port first party games 3DS had:
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Mario Kart 7

I have Pokemon forgot to mention, xenoblade I don't care don't like the aesthetic and the waifu anime stuff, I was looking at Mario tenís in the Nintendo store but compared to its predecessors it was lacking, Mario party I have on my list I have to buy it, have bought every Mario party since the 64.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I am taking solely Nintendo games, which I play with my child, so there is little, third party I have the other consoles for that so that ( other stuff I have it somewhere else).

Didn't feel like that though, maybe I am mistaken.
In 2011 the 3DS launched with Nintendogs, Pilotwings and Steel Diver, in the summer got ports of Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time, and Pokémon Rumble Blast and got Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 at the end of the year.
In 2012 the 3DS got Kid Icarus: Uprising, Spirit Camera, Mario Tennis, NSMB2 and Paper Mario Sticker Star.

That's off the top of my head so there's stuff missing.

Yeah, really the only Nintendo system that would get anywhere close to a favorable comparison to Switch if you looked just at its first two years is Wii. Wii had Wii Sports, Zelda, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, 3D Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and Animal Crossing all within its first couple years.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
That's not quite fair, Nintendo always drip-feeds their first-party releases; the Switch isn't much better or worse in that regard. But it's so much easier to deal with now thanks to the flood of indie and 3rd party support. I've never before owned a Nintendo system and thought, "stop it with all these games" (maybe the DS.)

Now, we definitely haven't seen the benefits of this supposed "unified portable+handheld software development." I am disappointed in the lack of non-port 1st party games.

Nintendo might have drip fed last year but they didn't in 2017 and they won't this year.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I find it somewhat inconvenient taking my PC on the bus when I want to play Into the Breach while travelling, but you do you.

Yeah I do me, I am talking about me, portability is not a plus for me, I have had a game boy, game boy color, game boy advance etc and I never took any console out of my house I don't play consoles outside of my house and I won't now that I am older. So portability is not a plus for my I have a switch already and I stated my issue portability has nothing to do with the Nintendo software that I stated.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Well, I'd like to see a lot more third parties AAA games in there, and a lot of these 1800 games are poor quality, however, I have something like 30 games in my wish list and not enough money to buy 1/3 of them...

It's not the best library in the world but sure it's not lacking content either...

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
61 Switch games have a Metacritic score of 85 or higher

215 Switch games have a score of 79 or above.

506 Switch games have a score of 70 or above.

So while there is still likely a lot of shovel ware in the eShop there are still probably at least 500 titles that are average at worst.

Well that's far more games that I could ever play on the system in its lifetime

Keep those games coming so everyone has something they love, it's great that the Switch is so popular

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
In 2011 the 3DS launched with Nintendogs, Pilotwings and Steel Diver, in the summer got ports of Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time, and Pokémon Rumble Blast and got Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 at the end of the year.
In 2012 the 3DS got Kid Icarus: Uprising, Spirit Camera, Mario Tennis, NSMB2 and Paper Mario Sticker Star.

The Switch's first party lineups for 2011 and 2012 have been much stronger.

Bravery default and radiant historia got me blind hahahaha.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Only the good games matter.

I'm not impressed by this high number, since it's inflated with lot's of digital showelware.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

The Switch's first party lineups for 2011 and 2012 have been much stronger.

3DS launch was not great. This is the same 3DS that had an emergency price cut.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of junk on there. We're not talking just indie, but mobile and web games. Looking at the weekly releases it's 90%+ random crap.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Its not even 2 years yet and have 1800 games. That's a lot of software to jump in for people. Switch would have even more potential for someone like myself if i didn't have steam with 3,374 games. Switch is definitely a good gaming platform, if you owned that alone.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, I'm pretty sure by "quality control" they meant an ability for users to better filter games by some sort of measure of quality so the acclaimed titles stand out more.

Hadn't seen that Black Tiger video for though. Wow. Haha!
I highly doubt that was the meaning at all. See yet another hot take below

There is a lot of junk on there. We're not talking just indie, but mobile and web games. Looking at the weekly releases it's 90%+ random crap.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish we didn't have to do this "nothing on the Switch counts except first party" song and dance every time the library comes up.
It's embarrassing.

"But I only buy their systems for Nintendo exclusives, I play everything else on XXX!"
Yeah, great for you. But don't come whining when there supposedly is "nothing to play" when you are limiting yourself to a tiny fraction of the library.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Sure, there is some shovelware on the Switch eShop, but as someone with almost 100 games now (close to 80 I think) I can say that there is A LOT to play on the system.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Games like Implosion, Voez and Mercenaries Chronicles all originated on mobile and are all at the very least good games. Being a mobile game means absolutely nothing in terms of quality.

Also the vast majority of the shovelware on the eShop is also on PSN and XBO.(nevermind Steam/PC)

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I'd gladly take quality over quantity and I really doubt there are 400 games worth of the time or money on the Switch right now. I'd be surprised if there are 50 of them even.
Well I am not neither are my children I have bought 5 games for the switch, super Mario odyssey, breath of the wild, Kirby, super Mario U ( which is a port) and donkey Kong ( another port )... so they are super lacking and I know and I am sure I am not the only one, the switch compared to the 3Ds witch my daughter keeps playing disregarding the switch because of the library.
Serious yikes, these are some hot takes. You guys didn't look at all or arguing in bad faith at this point

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that was the meaning at all. See yet another hot take below
It's not a hot take it's the truth. Count them. I'm a Switch primary and a Nintendo fan and I'm really happy with the quality of games we've got.

But there's no point in lying to ourselves about the number of games on the store. People have been talking about droughts for months. And yet the number of actual games is huge. That's because there's a shit ton of shovel ware.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
There's something coming out it's hard to keep up.ive sworn off digital games as long as there's physical titles that interested in and haven't gotten yet. That way I can avoid double dipping like iended up doing with Golf Story. I share my games with my siblings who have Switches and my SO has a Switch as well, so physical allows us all to play the game instead of it being locked to just my Switch account. I still haven't even caught up with all the physical titles I want to play.
Not certain from your wording - you do know you can share your digital games with other Switches, right? (by sharing your account - to cut a long story short, the bottom line is that you and one other person can play the same game you bought through your account, at the same time)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever these threads come up I always feel so bad for devs of some of these indie games that are considered trash or shovelware just because they don't have a recognizable name or publisher logo.

I'm sure there are some games that are just very low effort ports or even original games like Vroom in the Night Sky but those are actually fairly few and far between if you really look through the shop.

Nov 11, 2017
Bring it back Nintendo!:
Nintendo-NES-Seal.png

But I am shocked there is that many games.. the e-shop makes buying games such a claustrophobic experience. I never feel like I have any clue where to go n the e-shop.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

it really is ridiculous. The system has a bunch of great 3rd party games. High quality indies and stuff from the big publishers. Hell, Civilization VI has become one of my favorites on the system.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that a store redesign is coming soon. A bunch of games are getting buried due to the lack of actual discovery tools.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I scrolled through the eShop for the first time like a week ago and it was just full of crap. Maybe there are 400 good games on there but it sure is difficult to find them.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Yet I can't find more than 40 of them worth owning. That's a decent amount of good games tho

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The Switch eShop desperately needs an overhaul given how many games there now are. It was just about acceptable at launch but now it's very difficult to discover good games you may have missed.
The News channel is where you see what games are new. I have heard complaint there are too many games, but I have also heard it takes 5 minutes to see what all games are released on that day using the News channel, 5 minutes per day.

I don't know what to believe anymore.