• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
OP: Switch has 1800+ games
Reply Type A: Yeah, but a lot of shovelware, so..
Reply Type B: I'll have you know that have purchased 80 games on the switch and therefore most of the eshop content is good.

Interesting strategies to be sure.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
As someone who's wishlist is overflowing, and who has about 35 games installed rn, I have been playing switch most days since release, and haven't played a game I would call less than 8/10. Yes there are junk games on there. There are junk games on every store.
They are easily avoided, and pretty much every week theres at least one game I'm adding to my ever expanding wishlist

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Reply Type B: I'll have you know that have purchased 80 games on the switch and therefore most of the eshop content is good.

Your portrayal of the premise of Type B is pretty damn disingenuous.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's pretty cool. OBVIOUSLY, not a lot of them are for me, but for a Nintendo platform to get this much digital content; this is pretty impressive.

The indie scene has been surprisingly strong on the Switch.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
I think due to the success of so many games on the Switch it has definitely encouraged so many more Devs to get on the system

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I mean yeah, Supermarkets SEEM good, but to be honest, I only buy like 2 percent of the products they sell.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I'd gladly take quality over quantity and I really doubt there are 400 games worth of the time or money on the Switch right now. I'd be surprised if there are 50 of them even.
I think we're all aware that there's a fair amount of proper junk on the store, but believing there may not even be 50 worth time or money is a new level of cynicism!

(Not trying to like, take shots or anything, but there's definitely many more than fifty great games on Switch)

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
And 1650 of them are shit
Yet I can't find more than 40 of them worth owning. That's a decent amount of good games tho

Well...
61 Switch games have a Metacritic score of 85 or higher

215 Switch games have a score of 79 or above.

506 Switch games have a score of 70 or above.

So while there is still likely a lot of shovel ware in the eShop there are still probably at least 500 titles that are average at worst.
And to add to that, many games simply don't have a metacritic score. And not necessarily because they are not good, but because there are not enough venues to review this quantity of games.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just considering only 79 or above games...

215 games out of 1800+ games is not 90%.
Okay well it's good someone has taken the time to quantify that. So if the 1800+ games 1300+ are shovelware and 215 are genuinely good.

My 90% was inflated but you've actually proved what people are saying. Too much shovelware.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay well it's good someone has taken the time to quantify that. So if the 1800+ games 1300+ are shovelware and 215 are genuinely good.

My 90% was inflated but you've actually proved what people are saying. Too much shovelware.

Can you find even 10 games that are genuinely shovelware? I'm sure they exist but I'd be curious to see how long it takes you and which games you think qualify as shovelware.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'd love to see someone do a sociology experiment:

1. make a list of the people praising the Switch library in this thread (Group A)
2. make a list of the people complaining about the Switch library in this thread (Group B)
3. tabulate the people from each Group with how often they post in the monthly Nintendo eShop threads and the various Nintendo-centric OTs.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Games like Implosion, Voez and Mercenaries Chronicles all originated on mobile and are all at the very least good games. Being a mobile game means absolutely nothing in terms of quality.

Also the vast majority of the shovelware on the eShop is also on PSN and XBO.(nevermind Steam/PC)

Something that is often ignored but alas...

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I feel like a lot of that is mobile ports and the like.
Good thing there are very good games on the system too but the eshop feels like browsing google play to me.

The only way I'm using it is go in there, search for a game I already know and buy it, don't think I've ever bought something just by browsing.
They need more filters or curation imho and I might start browsing it.

In any case I'm not lacking for games on the switch :)

Edit: I'd like a "since you bought x, you might also like xx" page in there.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017

So only averaging the release of one "genuinely good" game every 3 days then?

*throws Switch in the fire*

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you find even 10 games that are genuinely shovelware? I'm sure they exist but I'd be curious to see how long it takes you and which games you think qualify as shovelware.
Well I don't have my Switch with me but the first things that spring to mind were a series of 3 or 4 light erotic novels that released all at the same time, and were literally shutter stock images of Japanese women with badly google translated dialogue. When I saw that on the eShop was when I knew there was a quality control issue on Switch.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate that "yes, most of them are indie..." even needs to be implicitly or explicitly acknowledged. Having a big publisher's logo in the splash screen is not in any way an intrinsic indicator of high quality.

Games are games and the indie scene is in a golden age. I adore the fact that the Switch has become such a natural home for it.
id take hollow knight over mario tennis or fifa 19

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Never really impressed with the number of titles, never been with steam, PSN or any other content delivery platform. Just makes it harder to actually find the gems or games that resonated with so the UI will have to work harder. I used to browse the eShop but now I don't bother anymore just like the rest. Thankfully I have sources like this forum to help out.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure how much shovelware there is, but lots of generic games have appeared on the eShop in recent months. This is true for most successful platforms though, so it's nothing new or noteworthy.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

Looking at Metacritic, the number of games released on PlayStation 4 from 2013-2015 with a 75+ score is fewer than 200.

If Switch already has 215 games with a 79 (not 75, right?) ranking or higher before we've gotten two years in... PS4 must have had a shit library.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of that is mobile ports and the like.
Good thing there are very good games on the system too but the eshop feels like browsing google play to me.

The only way I'm using it is go in there, search for a game I already know and buy it, don't think I've ever bought something just by browsing.
They need more filters or curation imho and I might start browsing it.

In any case I'm not lacking for games on the switch :)

Edit: I'd like a "since you bought x, you might also like xx" page in there.

As I said earlier I think it's unfair to say "mobile ports" as if that means anything about the quality of the games. Implosion is one of the best games I've played on Switch and that's a mobile port.

Something that is often ignored but alas...

Yup, it's pretty much just as easy to get on any platform so if you're really throwing a low effort game out for a quick buck you can hit all the platforms.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I think the balance of good games to shit games could do with addressing but with the success of the switch I only see it getting worse. I don't think it's Nintendo's fault. It was always going to happen because of the portable aspect.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
As I said earlier I think it's unfair to say "mobile ports" as if that means anything about the quality of the games. Implosion is one of the best games I've played on Switch and that's a mobile port.

Yup, it's pretty much just as easy to get on any platform so if you're really throwing a low effort game out for a quick buck you can hit all the platforms.

I don't mind that there are mobile ports and I'm sure there are some good ones in there.
My problem is the curation and the feeling that the eshop is a mess to navigate. The other systems have much better ways of doing this.
I don't think you can even rate games in the shop so buying something is hit or miss.

In any case it's not a big problem for me as I learn about the games that I want from other sources, mainly this site.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
That post with the mediacritic scores and the line above in post127 comparing scores with the first two years of the PS4 should be in the op. Might stop some of the hot takes.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If mobile ports are on the same level as games like Implosion, Air Mail, Gear.Club, Sky Gamblers, Voez, Deemo, Manticore, etc...then please keep the "mobile trash" coming, as the Switch has only given already legitimately good mobile games a chance to shine with a decent control scheme.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Every month I make a list of recommendations for the eShop thread and usually they're more of 30 games (that's without count Nintendo games, thirds AAA or some game that I overlooked)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind that there are mobile ports and I'm sure there are some good ones in there.
My problem is the curation and the feeling that the eshop is a mess to navigate. The other systems have much better ways of doing this.
I don't think you can even rate games in the shop so buying something is hit or miss.

In any case it's not a big problem for me as I learn about the games that I want from other sources, mainly this site.

I think the intention was always for the news feed to work as the curation.

Nintendo has put out of lists of the best multiplayer games, best RPGs, best sports games. The type of feature list that would have otherwise been in the eShop itself. It's also where they spotlight the bigger titles releasing each week.

The ability to add reviews would be nice but the star rating system on the 3DS was a total bust because barely anyone used it.

But the point about it recommended titles based on purchasing history or on checkout would definitely be good.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Even more impressive when you consider that they released literally zero games in the 14 months between Mario Odyssey and Smash.

More seriously, it's true that a lot of these games are mobile ports and a lot of them are low quality or shovelware but Era's propensity to completely write off any mobile game as trash garbage will never not be silly, idiotic, and toxic. Maybe when we have 80+ MC mobile games getting physical releases on Switch like Deemo and Voez, it's time to update your shitty 2007 opinions on gaming.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
That post with the mediacritic scores and the line above in post127 comparing scores with the first two years of the PS4 should be in the op. Might stop some of the hot takes.
Someone who's in a better position to do a 100% accurate count (see: not me) should probably calculate all that out.

edit: I could do it at home later, but I doubt I'll touch this site for a long while since I have errands to run after work

Even more impressive when you consider that they released literally zero games in the 14 months between Mario Odyssey and Smash.

this got me good