• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even more impressive when you consider that they released literally zero games in the 14 months between Mario Odyssey and Smash.

More seriously, it's true that a lot of these games are mobile ports and a lot of them are low quality or shovelware but Era's propensity to completely write off any mobile game as trash garbage will never not be silly, idiotic, and toxic.

I love this post, everything about it

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I just bought a Switch, and honestly, even as a lifelong Nintendo fan, I'm struggling to find games.
I got Odyssey, and a couple indie games... everything else that I'd be interested in is a port of an older game I've already played on the U or another console, or an indie game I already have elsewhere. I keep googling variations of "best games of Switch", and I'm left wanting.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just bought a Switch, and honestly, even as a lifelong Nintendo fan, I'm struggling to find games.
I got Odyssey, and a couple indie games... everything else that I'd be interested in is a port of an older game I've already played on the U or another console, or an indie game I already have elsewhere. I keep googling variations of "best games of Switch", and I'm left wanting.

Get Golf Story if that's not one of the games you've already bought.

And try some demos too. ARMS is worth a shot.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cool, you play a lot of video games on other consoles. What exactly does that have to do with the Switch?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Golf Story
  • Pokémon Let's Go
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • ARMS
Just named ten games across all genres that are not ports and are very well received that you should look into.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
One of the big Achilles heels of the system's library right now is that it's heavily tuned toward people who've either been playing only on Nintendo platforms, or who have skipped recent Nintendo platforms. It's not too great for people who've owned every Nintendo system and played a bunch of stuff on other platforms in the last 10-15 years...unless they're happy to move on from their old platforms and replay those games on Switch (this is me, even though I also fit a bit in column A and have been checking out lots of old games I never played as well).

I think that's finally gonna start turning around this year, which I think is why people are so optimistic about 2019. But, yeah, I can't really blame you for feeling like the stuff you're interested in is stuff you've already played.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Just counted my games and I have 96. I'm pretty sure that's more than I've owned for any other console and they are all quality.

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017

And I think this is the fair argument. If you have a Wii U, PS4, or XBOX One then a lot of these retail games and indie titles already released on other systems, and if portability is not a factor to you then the Switch is at a disadvantage in a lot of cases from a cost/performance perspective.

Just a couple suggestions from me with that in mind:

Mario x Rabbids: Unexpectedly great
Zelda BOTW: I wasn't really a Zelda fan before this game but it deserves all the accolades it gets
Splatoon 2: Fun MP game if a bit repetitive
Sushi Striker: Probably didn't get enough credit as a fun puzzle game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Golf Story
  • Pokémon Let's Go
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • ARMS
Just named ten games across all genres that are not ports and are very well received that you should look into.

Technically Puyo Puyo Tetris is a port of an older game.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Metacritic, the number of games released on PlayStation 4 from 2013-2015 with a 75+ score is fewer than 200.

If Switch already has 215 games with a 79 (not 75, right?) ranking or higher before we've gotten two years in... PS4 must have had a shit library.
PS4 probably did have a shit first two years, what does that have to do with anything?

Switch has a shovelware problem, and seeing as you're so keen to compare, let's use PS4 as a benchmark.

Switch has...within 2 years, hit the same number of games as PS4 has right now give or take. PS4 currently has 430 games rated 79+, Switch has has 215. PS4 has 1080 games rated 70+ compared to Switch with 500. I know it's not a fair comparison because one is after 2 years and one is the end of its lifespan. I'm not comparing the quality of the libraries, I don't care. Im not console warrioring. I'm just showing you how quickly Switch has ballooned with low quality titles. And that IS a problem.

I know everyone in here is happy about the high quality of titles we've had, and that's great.

But this thread is about the 1800 games released on the eShop, not the 200 good ones, and in my opinion that's not something to celebrate.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
PS4 probably did have a shit first two years, what does that have to do with anything?

Switch has a shovelware problem, and seeing as you're so keen to compare, let's use PS4 as a benchmark.

Switch has...within 2 years, hit the same number of games as PS4 has right now give or take. PS4 currently has 430 games rated 79+, Switch has has 215. PS4 has 1080 games rated 70+ compared to Switch with 500. I know it's not a fair comparison because one is after 2 years and one is the end of its lifespan. I'm not comparing the quality of the libraries, I don't care. Im not console warrioring. I'm just showing you how quickly Switch has ballooned with low quality titles. And that IS a problem.

I know everyone in here is happy about the high quality of titles we've had, and that's great.

But this thread is about the 1800 games released on the eShop, not the 200 good ones, and in my opinion that's not something to celebrate.
It definitely has the potential to be a problem if the actually worthwhile games get choked off from revenue by the sheer quantity of releases.

But every time I look at the charting list, I'm generally pleased with what I see. I continue to be pleased even when I look past what's charting and sort the entire library by # of downloads. (Obviously tons of free stuff is really high up there, and the mediocre games on deep discount tend to rise quite a bit, but I imagine this is why you don't see these charts as much on other platforms.)

There are a good number of good games on Switch, and they seem to mostly be getting pretty good attention. It's rare for me to learn that a game with good word of mouth ended up getting criminally overlooked.

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
Switch (2 years into it's life cycle)
61 Switch games have a Metacritic score of 85 or higher

215 Switch games have a score of 79 or above.

506 Switch games have a score of 70 or above.

So while there is still likely a lot of shovel ware in the eShop there are still probably at least 500 titles that are average at worst.

Just because I was curious:

PS4 (5+ years into it's life cycle)

138 PS4 Games have a metacritic score of 85 or higher.

430 PS4 games have a score of 79 or above.

1078 PS4 games have a score of 70 or above

XBox One (5+ years into it's life cycle)

114 XBox One Games have a metacritic score of 85 or higher.

332 XBox One games have a score of 79 or above.

801 XBox One games have a score of 70 or above

So looking at that and it's actually arguable that in terms of quality releases per day the system's been available that the Switch is ahead of where the PS4 and Xbox One were.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018

What the actual fuck at there being only 200 good games on switch? Where did you get this number from? I want receipts

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever these threads come up I always feel so bad for devs of some of these indie games that are considered trash or shovelware just because they don't have a recognizable name or publisher logo.

I'm sure there are some games that are just very low effort ports or even original games like Vroom in the Night Sky but those are actually fairly few and far between if you really look through the shop.
I feel the same, i feel like everyone saying that its full of shovelware don't actually check out or know anything about the games and judge merely by thumbnail.
Or and this is cynical of me, but people looking to devalue the switch by saying everything on the eshop is shovelware.

Feb 2, 2019
61 Switch games have a Metacritic score of 85 or higher

215 Switch games have a score of 79 or above.

506 Switch games have a score of 70 or above.

So while there is still likely a lot of shovel ware in the eShop there are still probably at least 500 titles that are average at worst.

I think that's where the problem comes from. I'm not interested in "average" games, there aren't worth my time or money since I can find thousand of them everywhere and I'm not that bored to consider playing every average games around. The second thing is, I could care less about metacritic for various reasons (an awful crime, I know). I disagree with their rating way too much to judge them as a trust-worthy metric to gauge the quality of games. Like I said, from my point of view, there's probably 50 games worth owning for me right now and I'm stretching it really far.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
The 1300 is neither here nor there. It's a number someone else picked to show how many bad games there are on Switch. I'm more than happy about the 200.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'm not sure how much shovelware there is, but lots of generic games have appeared on the eShop in recent months. This is true for most successful platforms though, so it's nothing new or noteworthy.
Do people write multi-page threads complaining about "shovelware" on the PlayStation Store or the XBox Marketplace?
The 1300 is neither here nor there. It's a number someone else picked to show how many bad games there are on Switch. I'm more worried about the 200.
The problem is that both numbers are pulled from the same place Donald Trump gets his bigly genius knowledge from, and just as trustworthy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's where the problem comes from. I'm not interested in "average" games, there aren't worth my time or money since I can find thousand of them everywhere and I'm not that bored to consider playing every average games around. The second thing is, I could care less about metacritic for various reasons (an awful crime, I know). I disagree with their rating way too much to judge them as a trust-worthy metric to gauge the quality of games. Like I said, from my point of view, there's probably 50 games worth owning for me right now and I'm stretching it really far.
And 50 games in less than two years isn't enough?

Actually let's reduce that number—30 games in less than two years isn't enough?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The average gamer buys like 8 games over the entire lifespan of a console. It's hilarious to me that some people really need to try and argue that having dozens or even hundreds of high quality options available today is a bad thing that we should be concerned about.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Do people write multi-page threads complaining about "shovelware" on the PlayStation Store or the XBox Marketplace?

The problem is that both numbers are pulled from the same place Donald Trump gets his bigly genius knowledge from, and just as trustworthy.

This I agree with. Folks are arguing feels at this point.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The average gamer buys like 8 games over the entire lifespan of a console. It's hilarious to me that some people really need to try and argue that having dozens or even hundreds of high quality options available today is a bad thing that we should be concerned about.
But there are only 200 good Switch games damn it

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to be completely fair, I dont think this is inherently a good thing. Switch has some wtf releases I dont get how it passed their quality check. Quantity means nothing if its shovelware. The important note is its attracting big 3rd party in contrast to the wuu days

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
and yet i feel like i have no reason to turn my switch on besides when people come over for local smash bros :(
most of the multiplatform stuff is better on other platforms unless you really want the portability

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the other day my girlfriend was playing on her Switch. You have to know, she's 28 years old and has never owned a dedicated gaming system before but she finally decided she'd get one for herself, mainly to play Pokémon Let's Go. She got initially hooked because of the petting minigame but ended up investing a lot of time crafting her team to take on the Elite Four. After hours of getting to know the weaknesses and strengths of her team and building up their stats with candies, she finally did it.

So here she was, a newly crowned Pokémon Champion. But something had changed. Like a climber who reached the top of the mountain just to see taller and more magnificent mountains rise along the horizon, ahe knew that this was just the beginning. She was craving for something more involved. So her choice fell on Super Mario Odyssey.

She had seen me play it before and was intrigued by the mix of skill-based challenges, adventure elements and the experimental interactivity of the world. Every nook and cranny looked ready to be explored and she wanted to do it herself. So she started playing it and innediately reached a roadblock. Navigating in 3D space, the mere act of controlling Mario across platforms and the camera at the same time proved to be quite challenging. But she remained persistent, fighting against the impulses of a body that wasn't accustomed to video games. Little by little, it became almost like second nature to her. She raced across the desert in the Sand Kingdom, jumped into the waves to swim with mermaid, and zigged throught the power lines over the roofs of New Donk City. Every now and then she stopped and came over to show me something new she had discovered. Every day she played a little, getting moon after moon, fighting broodal after broodal.

Yet that day, something was different. Something was off about her. The child-like eyes full of glee had disappeared and a vacant gaze had taken their place. None of the joy and wonder that I remembered from playing Super Mario 64 for the first time and had recognized in her was left. I was worried and approached her. She didn't even take notice of me when I looked over her shoulder and saw that she had stopped playing, leaving Mario in a sad idle animation. I slowly touched her shoulder as not to startle her and gently asked her:

"Hey, is everything okay?" As if she had emerged from a deep slumber, she slowly replied: "Yeah."
"You stopped playing", I said, pointing at the screen.
She looked at her Switch as if she had seen it for the first time and held it like a foreign object. "Oh. I guess I did", she finally said.
"Is it not fun anymore?", I asked, suspecting something far more sinister.
"No, no, that's not it", she quickly replied. "It's just..."
"What is it?", I wanted to know, getting more and more worried.
She looked down at her Switch and let out a deep, meaningful sigh. She placed it on the table and turned towards me. Tears had filled the corners of her eyes. She grabbed my hands, looked me in the eyes and said:

"There's just so much shovelware on the eShop."

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Phantom Thief this is somewhat unrelated, but do you have a source for a list of Switch exclusive games both released and unreleased? Both for cartridge and digital-only releases. You didn't mention this in the OP and I have an interest in knowing only about the exclusive titles since the multi-platform titles metrics are largely irrelevant to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Thief this is somewhat unrelated, but do you have a source for a list of Switch exclusive games both released and unreleased? Both for cartridge and digital-only releases. You didn't mention this in the OP and I have an interest in knowing only about the exclusive titles since the multi-platform titles metrics are largely irrelevant to me.
Yeah, Perfectly Nintendo seems to be maintaining the list (I do mention this in the OP 😛)

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even go into that eshop anymore unless I'm going in for something very specific. It's like a phone app store in there.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a hot take it's the truth. Count them. I'm a Switch primary and a Nintendo fan and I'm really happy with the quality of games we've got.

But there's no point in lying to ourselves about the number of games on the store. People have been talking about droughts for months. And yet the number of actual games is huge. That's because there's a shit ton of shovel ware.

Need to see receipts Jack.
And What's your angle exactly? I read the Nintendo threads and don't really engage in console warring and have never seen you post. So I can only assume why you're here posting.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
1,800 games ==/== 1,800 great games to play. However, those of you dismissing this number are ignoring important context:
  • This is the second highest number of games on any Nintendo platform. Nintendo consoles have consistently struggled to build a broad ecosystem of games (and attract third parties), and the Switch is a notable exception.
  • Two years ago, just 3% of devs polled at GDC were working on the Switch. 1,800 games shows that there's been a significant turnaround.
  • In the lead up to the Switch launch, there was rampant speculation of the lack of games and whether this was Nintendo's last console. Now we've swung in the opposite direction where there's too many games, and Nintendo needs to do more to curate the eShop.
Lastly, it's important to note that just because many/most games aren't up to your standards isn't a sufficient reason to dismiss those games. Platform holders need to have a wide range of games to appeal to the most possible customers, and the Switch has managed to do that. The Switch is not a console for everyone, but hats off to Nintendo for making a console that's appealed to 32M someones thus far.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It is kinda crazy how bad the eShop has gotten with crap games. I guess there's really nothing you can do though unless they implemented some internal QA team.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
What games are you into exactly? and what platform did you own previously?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The list didn't make a distinction between exclusive and non-exclusive though, hence I asked. The list itself is poorly formatted anyway since there's no filtering if one wants to drill down to a specific region's releases only, for example.
You may have to make such a list yourself. Not sure there's much of a demand for a list of Switch games that filters out all games that are available on other platforms.