• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
and yet i feel like i have no reason to turn my switch on besides when people come over for local smash bros :(
most of the multiplatform stuff is better on other platforms unless you really want the portability

This is where I see the problem, some gamers don't look for games in a library, they will only notice a game after it shakes them and slaps them in the face, otherwise they won't even try

A lot of interesting games are there to be found that many may not have even heard of, my view is if your a gamer then you will look for them

This issue is not just related to Switch

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
I hate that "yes, most of them are indie..." even needs to be implicitly or explicitly acknowledged. Having a big publisher's logo in the splash screen is not in any way an intrinsic indicator of high quality.

Games are games and the indie scene is in a golden age. I adore the fact that the Switch has become such a natural home for it.

Good timing on their part. The AAA game companies are realizing they can't have unlimited growth and their stocks, along with their future is tanking. Good time for indies to rise up and take advantage of their weaknesses.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Everybody and their mother's shoveling their games onto Switch.
That could be either good or bad. One mans trash is another mans treasure. There's a lot of small steam games, that never even seen the light of day on consoles that has a high potential of finding itself ported on the Switch. The Switch does have a potential to become the steam store in a bad way, though.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Not certain from your wording - you do know you can share your digital games with other Switches, right? (by sharing your account - to cut a long story short, the bottom line is that you and one other person can play the same game you bought through your account, at the same time)

Yeah, I just find it easier to hand em off and I like collecting physical software anyways.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
You may have to make such a list yourself. Not sure there's much of a demand for a list of Switch games that filters out all games that are available on other platforms.

I've been using Gematsu's list, but it's still incomplete and that Perfectly Nintendo list has information which isn't available in Gematsu's list. Sadly neither of them has comprehensive filtering, and I have yet to found a resource on the web with all the things I need combined.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I can see why.
I probably wouldn't have played something like Horizon Chase Turbo if it weren't portable on the Switch, so it does open doors to games I'd otherwise not bother with. Especially anything you can pick up and play for just a few minutes.

HCT is really fun, btw, not sure if you need the nostalgia for old 80s/90s fake-3D games to enjoy it or not though.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
There's too much.. I'm absolutely lost whenever i look on the eshop. Hundreds and hundreds of games i have never heard of. I don't have the time or inclination to look up whats what anymore so I'm pretty much reliant on word of mouth. The eshop layout is pretty poor in my opinion, I use that Psprices website to browse through and even then it's pretty much page after page of mystery games.

I did buy Code of Princess EX the other day though when I noticed that Nicalis seemed to have half priced their stuff.

There's probably loads of games I'd enjoy. Just need some help finding them.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
there marketplace needs much better sorting options with how much of that is not really good at all. It's a lot of steam level garbage

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
There's too much.. I'm absolutely lost whenever i look on the eshop. Hundreds and hundreds of games i have never heard of. I don't have the time or inclination to look up whats what anymore so I'm pretty much reliant on word of mouth. The eshop layout is pretty poor in my opinion, I use that Psprices website to browse through and even then it's pretty much page after page of mystery games.

I did buy Code of Princess EX the other day though when I noticed that Nicalis seemed to have half priced their stuff.

There's probably loads of games I'd enjoy. Just need some help finding them.
The News app on the homescreen is actually a pretty good tool for keeping on top of new releases, sales, etc. You might have to do some channel curation though. I unsubscribed from almost all of them. Nintendo News and Indie Channel are the two that I keep my eye on. The former has all the information on releases, sales, etc and the later has weekly articles/interviews with indie developers that I find pretty interesting.

Only real problem I find is that the eShop has no rating/review system, so I gotta get my phone out to read a review on a game that catches my eye.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't matter if there's 1,800 games if only two are worthwhile.

However, thankfully this doesn't apply to the Switch, as I'm nearing 60 games just physically alone. (Look at that swerve I did!)

But seriously, I concur with everyone talking about fixing up the eShop. It's just way too disorganized and hard to find games. When you're having devs put games on sale constantly just to appear on the Sales part of the eShop to get more eyes on to them, there's an issue that needs taking care of.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I see the problem, some gamers don't look for games in a library, they will only notice a game after it shakes them and slaps them in the face, otherwise they won't even try

A lot of interesting games are there to be found that many may not have even heard of, my view is if your a gamer then you will look for them

This issue is not just related to Switch

The issue is that they're either significantly better on other platforms ie. Doom, Rocket League, Fortnite, or they're indie games that ive got on Steam where I can use my headphones, steam overlay and a DS4 pad. I buy Nintendo consoles because they have some great first party exclusives, but rarely big exclusive third party releases.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Okay well it's good someone has taken the time to quantify that. So if the 1800+ games 1300+ are shovelware and 215 are genuinely good.

My 90% was inflated but you've actually proved what people are saying. Too much shovelware.
The 200 is neither here nor there. It's a number someone else picked to show how many great games there are on Switch. I'm more worried about the 1300.
1300 games didn't get under 69 metacritic though. Not even half that many did.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
The News app on the homescreen is actually a pretty good tool for keeping on top of new releases, sales, etc. You might have to do some channel curation though. I unsubscribed from almost all of them. Nintendo News and Indie Channel are the two that I keep my eye on. The former has all the information on releases, sales, etc and the later has weekly articles/interviews with indie developers that I find pretty interesting.

Only real problem I find is that the eShop has no rating/review system, so I gotta get my phone out to read a review on a game that catches my eye.

Yep I don't tend to use that as I got accounts from different regions on there and it got stuffed full of duplicated content and I got bewildered! I didn't even know you could curate what channels you see though. Will have to have a look at that.

Ninjatogo

Oct 28, 2017
That sure is a lot of games, but I feel like most times I check what's new in the store I'm seeing tons of indie games. I don't really have a huge issue with indie games, but most of what I see appears to be of the low-effort variety. I'm talking about the games with copy and pasted sprites EVERYWHERE for their levels, the most basic gameplay elements (e.g. collect all the stars on screen, word search, cross-word puzzles, etc.), and non-existent UI designs (stock engine fonts for all in-game text). I keep looking out for new games to buy for my Switch, but it seems like if you're not into indie games, you'll only find a couple big-budget titles per month.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
If you would have told me the switch has like 200-300 games i would of still believed you...my eyes must auto-filter every time i go the the e-shop

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Golf Story
  • PokĂ©mon Let's Go
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • ARMS
Just named ten games across all genres that are not ports and are very well received that you should look into.

Thanks! I'll look into some of those (I'm acually familiar with most of them, and they're just not up my alley).
I am really looking forward to the Yoshi game next month! Hope it's as fun as it looks.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
What games are you into exactly? and what platform did you own previously?
I've owned all Nintendo platforms. My favorite Nintendo games have always been platformers, from Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Metriod, etc.
I love fighting games, but could never get into Smash. I'm not into multiplayer games, and I'm not into puzzle games. Love action RPGs (don't like turn based/strategy), played BOTW on the U, and it was my GOTY.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've owned all Nintendo platforms. My favorite Nintendo games have always been platformers, from Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Metriod, etc.
I love fighting games, but could never get into Smash. I'm not into multiplayer games, and I'm not into puzzle games. Love action RPGs (don't like turn based/strategy), played BOTW on the U, and it was my GOTY.
if you like action RPGs you might like Ys VIII

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Does anyone else picture shovelware as fashion for shovels
This is what I think of as shovelware...

220px-Shovel_knight_cover.jpg

So bring on more, because it was a great game!
A "16-bit" looking sequel would be sweet!

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
So the other day my girlfriend was playing on her Switch. You have to know, she's 28 years old and has never owned a dedicated gaming system before but she finally decided she'd get one for herself, mainly to play Pokémon Let's Go. She got initially hooked because of the petting minigame but ended up investing a lot of time crafting her team to take on the Elite Four. After hours of getting to know the weaknesses and strengths of her team and building up their stats with candies, she finally did it.

So here she was, a newly crowned Pokémon Champion. But something had changed. Like a climber who reached the top of the mountain just to see taller and more magnificent mountains rise along the horizon, ahe knew that this was just the beginning. She was craving for something more involved. So her choice fell on Super Mario Odyssey.

She had seen me play it before and was intrigued by the mix of skill-based challenges, adventure elements and the experimental interactivity of the world. Every nook and cranny looked ready to be explored and she wanted to do it herself. So she started playing it and innediately reached a roadblock. Navigating in 3D space, the mere act of controlling Mario across platforms and the camera at the same time proved to be quite challenging. But she remained persistent, fighting against the impulses of a body that wasn't accustomed to video games. Little by little, it became almost like second nature to her. She raced across the desert in the Sand Kingdom, jumped into the waves to swim with mermaid, and zigged throught the power lines over the roofs of New Donk City. Every now and then she stopped and came over to show me something new she had discovered. Every day she played a little, getting moon after moon, fighting broodal after broodal.

Yet that day, something was different. Something was off about her. The child-like eyes full of glee had disappeared and a vacant gaze had taken their place. None of the joy and wonder that I remembered from playing Super Mario 64 for the first time and had recognized in her was left. I was worried and approached her. She didn't even take notice of me when I looked over her shoulder and saw that she had stopped playing, leaving Mario in a sad idle animation. I slowly touched her shoulder as not to startle her and gently asked her:

"Hey, is everything okay?" As if she had emerged from a deep slumber, she slowly replied: "Yeah."
"You stopped playing", I said, pointing at the screen.
She looked at her Switch as if she had seen it for the first time and held it like a foreign object. "Oh. I guess I did", she finally said.
"Is it not fun anymore?", I asked, suspecting something far more sinister.
"No, no, that's not it", she quickly replied. "It's just..."
"What is it?", I wanted to know, getting more and more worried.
She looked down at her Switch and let out a deep, meaningful sigh. She placed it on the table and turned towards me. Tears had filled the corners of her eyes. She grabbed my hands, looked me in the eyes and said:

"There's just so much shovelware on the eShop."
This was great. Also, I agree that there is an over representation of Wii U owners on Resetera. A tiny minority of gamers owned the Wii U and even if every single one bought a Switch, 20m+ of Switch owners didn't have a Wii U.

Every post complaining about the number of Wii U ports reads like someone annoyed with the new Bubsy Kickstarter bc they played the heck out of the original and the new version doesn't offer enough new content. It's a legit gripe, but one that's completely irrelevant to most ppl who very justifiably didn't purchase a Wii U.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
So the other day my girlfriend was playing on her Switch. You have to know, she's 28 years old and has never owned a dedicated gaming system before but she finally decided she'd get one for herself, mainly to play Pokémon Let's Go. She got initially hooked because of the petting minigame but ended up investing a lot of time crafting her team to take on the Elite Four. After hours of getting to know the weaknesses and strengths of her team and building up their stats with candies, she finally did it.

So here she was, a newly crowned Pokémon Champion. But something had changed. Like a climber who reached the top of the mountain just to see taller and more magnificent mountains rise along the horizon, ahe knew that this was just the beginning. She was craving for something more involved. So her choice fell on Super Mario Odyssey.

She had seen me play it before and was intrigued by the mix of skill-based challenges, adventure elements and the experimental interactivity of the world. Every nook and cranny looked ready to be explored and she wanted to do it herself. So she started playing it and innediately reached a roadblock. Navigating in 3D space, the mere act of controlling Mario across platforms and the camera at the same time proved to be quite challenging. But she remained persistent, fighting against the impulses of a body that wasn't accustomed to video games. Little by little, it became almost like second nature to her. She raced across the desert in the Sand Kingdom, jumped into the waves to swim with mermaid, and zigged throught the power lines over the roofs of New Donk City. Every now and then she stopped and came over to show me something new she had discovered. Every day she played a little, getting moon after moon, fighting broodal after broodal.

Yet that day, something was different. Something was off about her. The child-like eyes full of glee had disappeared and a vacant gaze had taken their place. None of the joy and wonder that I remembered from playing Super Mario 64 for the first time and had recognized in her was left. I was worried and approached her. She didn't even take notice of me when I looked over her shoulder and saw that she had stopped playing, leaving Mario in a sad idle animation. I slowly touched her shoulder as not to startle her and gently asked her:

"Hey, is everything okay?" As if she had emerged from a deep slumber, she slowly replied: "Yeah."
"You stopped playing", I said, pointing at the screen.
She looked at her Switch as if she had seen it for the first time and held it like a foreign object. "Oh. I guess I did", she finally said.
"Is it not fun anymore?", I asked, suspecting something far more sinister.
"No, no, that's not it", she quickly replied. "It's just..."
"What is it?", I wanted to know, getting more and more worried.
She looked down at her Switch and let out a deep, meaningful sigh. She placed it on the table and turned towards me. Tears had filled the corners of her eyes. She grabbed my hands, looked me in the eyes and said:

"There's just so much shovelware on the eShop."
I was literally sweating during the last few lines and ended up burst out laughing. Amazing piece.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
..."

Sometimes quantity is quality.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who mostly bought it as a Nintendo games fan, I can say I am really happy with it
The irony for me is it's the one Nintendo system I own the least amount of games for (two so far, BotW and Mario Odyssey). That's saying something going from the Wii U where I have a decent catalog of 20-30 games (not counting digital games like VC). So to me the giant number you're referencing as the Switch's current library means nothing to someone who cut their teeth on the Wii U's most significant titles. I'm still waiting on new Nintendo games like Yoshi Crafted World and Luigi's Mansion 3- games that to me at least, are the kind of experiences I expected on the Switch but ended up waiting almost two years post-Mario Odyssey to get.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there's too much. So much of it is crap that it's getting harder to find the good games. iOS and Android had the sameness problem. Thousands of crappy games. I'd be okay with some quality control to limit the number a bit.

CatSoul

Nov 7, 2018
My first thought was "Wow, that sounds like the Wii approach. So many games, but so many of them were shovelware. What's the point?"

But then I remembered how well the Wii sold. Even shovelware has a market.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was "Wow, that sounds like the Wii approach. So many games, but so many of them were shovelware. What's the point?"

You know which console also had loads of shovelware?

The PS2.

In fact, much of Wii's shovelware also released on PS2.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

That's interesting because we only hear about the shovelware argument in context of Switch, usually with no evidence outside of anecdotes. Seems like selective explaining away of success.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's too much. So much of it is crap that it's getting harder to find the good games. iOS and Android had the sameness problem. Thousands of crappy games. I'd be okay with some quality control to limit the number a bit.
I have yet to struggle under the mighty weight and pressure of so many games. I am sure PS4 players can concur. Like, I dunno how PC players ever find shit to play, there is like a million pc games and like 45 stores and launchers, but yet they persevere.

Even so, we slog on through the mire, I mean my wishlist is only like 50 games on the eshop, we have a vibrant monthly eshop thread to discuss games and many many OTs here and a ton of good resources to find info on games.

I never have felt it hard to "find" the "good games" because A; it is all subjective and B; we have so many resources at our finger tips.

Hopefully you appreciate the cheekiness of my response. I'd much rather have too much of a bounty to choose from than, say, the Wii U selection.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting because we only hear about the shovelware argument in context of Switch, usually with no evidence outside of anecdotes. Seems like selective explaining away of success.

"shovelware" is a sign and a symptom of a successful platform. No one is going to make something like that for a niche audience unless the barrier for entry is low and a lot of the time they're low risk precisely because there's enough numbers to make it worthwhile.

Its always interesting to see how many top developers started out making licensed or budget games.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Switch starts to have "Steam problem" with some hidden gems buried under pile of junks. Luckily there aren't many abominations on eshop and hopefully it won't get to that point.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Having a score under 70 doesn't make something shovelware. Rain World on PS4 has a 59. That game may not be traditionally good by review standards but it certainly is not shovelware. It has a 71 on Switch but that's in part due to all the DLC and additions the game got being present from the start. But even so, a low metacritic score doesn't mean a trash game or a purely poor game by default. That's why list wars are fucking stupid.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
"shovelware" is a sign and a symptom of a successful platform. No one is going to make something like that for a niche audience unless the barrier for entry is low and a lot of the time they're low risk precisely because there's enough numbers to make it worthwhile.

Its always interesting to see how many top developers started out making licensed or budget games.

Yeah I understand that, but you see several posters who basically read the OP and have to put their 2 cents in to the effect of "well its all shovelware" to downplay for whatever console warrior-ish reason. I mean this is page 5? The shit wasn't interesting on page 1 and you still have people doing it like its some sort of deep insight.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I understand that, but you see several posters who basically read the OP and have to put their 2 cents in to the effect of "well its all shovelware" to downplay for whatever console warrior-ish reason. I mean this is page 5? The shit wasn't interesting on page 1 and you still have people doing it like its some sort of deep insight.

Welcome to the Internet

Oct 29, 2017
It's like some people only have a gripe with OP being too optimistic .

There's nothing inherently bad about too many games. We have already gotten used to stores having 5000 indies we'll probably never play.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Quality control wouldn't increase the number of good games. And some people's idea of quality control here is no game I haven't heard of, no mobile port, no game that wasn't done better else where. This is the last place I would want deciding what a worthwhile release was lol.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I actually have a real issue with console online stores padding out their catalogues with all these shovelware games, it makes it harder to find the actual good stuff and instead I get bogged down in looking thru pages of crap and even looking up reviews etc. I'd rather not have them tbh.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I actually have a real issue with console online stores padding out their catalogues with all these shovelware games, it makes it harder to find the actual good stuff and instead I get bogged down in looking thru pages of crap and even looking up reviews etc. I'd rather not have them tbh.

Wait till I tell you about films

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I used to check the eShop religiously.

Now I don't even bother.

It's like wading through shit.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
The E-shop got flooded before Nintendo got a chance to fix it. Now they're drowning in a piles of trash they can't clean up.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Wait till I tell you about films

Do you mean like on streaming services Netflix etc? Yea that's bad too but I only ever look at the Horror section on that and there is nowhere near that amount of stuff to look through. I am mainly up to date with most films so very rarely will I see something I have not heard about or already seen.