• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I haven't seen any discussion about this new feature anywhere before watching Kevin Kenson's latest FAQ video. The setting is ON by default.
He talks about it at about 6:28:

As someone who's quite a lot into technical stuff, especially for displays, that makes me very curious: why is this a thing?

I thought the OLED screen improved contrast and colors a lot by itself, but now I know about that setting, I can't help but feel like it forces colors to pop more and such to make the screen look greater than it really is and - possibly - at the detriment of colors fidelity.

Though I like the idea of being able to turn that setting On or Off (it also reminds me of a somewhat similar setting on PSP-3000), it sounds like some kind of Nintendo home made, specific HDR implementation - at least to some degree -, which could be seen as good news and all but on the other hand, how can we know how accurate this is and if games are originally supposed to be seen with the setting On or Off?

I can't wait to try that new model despite my initial disappointment, but I'm not quite sure what to think about that new feature.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just increasing the brightness. It's not HDR. HDR would need assign brightness to certain assets that could be above the SDR range from my understanding. Unless it's like a MS Auto HDR solution that does a best guess. But those results can vary.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ew, is it like the color modes on my phone that make the colors pop but also look really unnatural? no thanks Nintendo

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people like these saturation modes. It's why phones and TVs default to them.

Personally, they lose a lot of detail in things like shadows while they POP, so if you want an accurate picture, best to turn it off.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
e8e7411e-0f41-4248-b3e0-83c2cec41424_text.gif

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like the vivid mode on Samsung phones, it just increases the colour saturation. Nothing to do with HDR.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Idk my lord tv has a setting like this and I was told to leave it on. It's just saying "give me the full experience" is how it was described to me.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Similar to how TVs have that 'Vivid' profile by default, for showrooms and demo displays.
I'm glad they give the option to disable it.

OP
OP
Link_enfant

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Yeah it's not really about if I'll like it or not, but what it actually does and if all current impressions on the new screen are possibly "wrong" because it's actually popping thanks to the setting (that might make colors inaccurate and such) rather than the screen itself.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not really about if I'll like it or not, but what it actually does and if all current impressions on the new screen are possibly "wrong" because it's actually popping thanks to the setting (that might make colors inaccurate and such) rather than the screen itself.
How are the impressions wrong? That's the default color profile of the Switch OLED. The other option is just there for those who don't a want a oversaturated image. All OLED Phones and TVs that I worked with also are pre-programmed with a "Vivid" color profile be default.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I legit used to tune my Nintendo output on my monitor to be more vibrant just because I often found Nintendo's use of color much more refreshing compared to a lot of the brown-grey color palettes used a couple of console generations back. Not significantly more vibrant, mind you -- I still strived for relative accuracy but I'd maybe go brightness and color up a few more notches over the others. I stopped the practice once I got an LG OLED a few years ago, but I admit, I'd probably leave this on if it's on by default because I'd passively trust it to have the same effect that I used to personally tune my Nintendo input to do before I got my LG OLED.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I always leave this setting off on my phone of course because it destroys the color, but I think it could actually work nice with NIntendo Artstyle in most of their games.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This is that vivid mode that's on TVs where the colors are artificially modified to give "pop" in lieu of color accuracy. If that's your thing, more power to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wait, in my pictures, the saturation seems high for both the old and new Switch in the first example.

Must not be accurate photos.

Disregard.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Take any TV you buy these days and they will have a similar profile (usual vivid or something). AKA torch mode but it will burn out the degrade the display faster. Primarily use for in-store demos to make the colors pop and more appealing, but it's never use in a home setting. This practice predates HDR, OLED, or even LCD.

Anyway being able to turn it off it's good. Chances are a "vivid" color profile will look very unnatural.

Oct 27, 2017
It's stretching the gamut of a native sRGB image to whatever the expanded gamut of the screen is. It'll be more vibrant, but will be less accurate.

Think of it as stretching a native 4:3 image to 16:9, but for colours.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
PC monitors: we strive for color accuracy.
Everyone else: moar oversaturation!

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I wonder if Vibrant mode being enabled is actually the screen as it should be and disabling that is actively desaturating the screen to make the visuals line up more with the current model's IPS panels. The PSP 3000 and PSP GO had a similar setting that made the screen look more similar to the old 1000 and 2000 models.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Sounds like the "store mode" that some TVs have to show off how bright they look in already bright showrooms.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with minor colorblindness, I love settings like that. It really helps me be able to differentiate from the blues, greens, and chromatic grays that otherwise all look the same and run together. I keep my tablet and phone set on their respective vivid modes for the same reason.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So many people bothered by something we know absolutely nothing about. Some even asking if they should be upset. That's wild.

All that guy said was it looks better with it on, and the the fact that he said it looks like a regular Switch with it off is insane. The OLED display alone should look significantly different, unless it's the worst OLED in existence.

Oct 25, 2017
So many people bothered by something we know absolutely nothing about. Some even asking if they should be upset. That's wild.

All that guy said was it looks better with it on, and the the fact that he said it looks like a regular Switch with it off is insane. The OLED display alone should look significantly different, unless it's the worst OLED in existence.
He's probably blinded by the saturation.

I mean, I could see some that don't care about accuracy thinking it looks cool.

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing against the launch switch screen as it was very got for the time for a LCD, but yeah at the very least the black level different should show through. Seeing of course they were in a light controlled room. If they were Ina brighter room the difference may be less noticable.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
As much as it pains me, I like the colors on the oled more than the lcd, I know they are less accurate, but that first photo really makes it for me.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
"Battery Drain Mode"

Saw the video he did a few days ago and i thought the colors in that shot with Hades looked "oversaturated/crusched" on the Oled. Of course that has to do with the camera he shot the video with of course.

Will be interesting to see what people think of this thing after a few weeks.