• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
That's why vc is dead, Nintendo will continuously improve the ecosystem and with the longevity they have planned for switch, there's plenty of opportunity to give each retro system it's time to shine.
If they actually continue to do this for future systems it would be an improvement over paying to upgrade your VC library each generation!

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
HD, Filters, and Save States? Yeah this has to be running on skme custom emulation software, I am slightly impressed. Didn't they nab a big name from the emulation community to work with N.E.R.D for the mini classics for this exact purpose? I know a lot are down on this service, but if they are getting work done for the service to run everything at a native resolution, its obvious more work than the Virtual zconsole is being done, and some day dozens if not hundreds of classic titles will be available for free any time you want from multiple Nintendo Platforms.
You left out online multi-player.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's upscaled to an HD resolution.
Not actually rendered at an HD resolution.

Perfectly fine with this because it's been a thing for well over 20 years now.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't particularly meaningful for NES (or SNES) games. The actual game resolution is fundamentally fixed and it was going to get scaled up by the Switch hardware even if they didn't do anything.

Hopefully the 4:3 scaling is decent, though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this means they have strong scaling in place and the filter options are sufficient. Would kill for a decent scanline filter w/brightness adjustment but if not I'll gladly take a sharp integer scale. Also vibrant colours please D:

Also wonder how they'll handle aspect ratio, given that NES (and SNES) doesn't use square pixels for 4:3

14001346425_41b6ae33aa_o.png

Ideally, they'll have options for either of these ratios with interpolation to smooth over 4:3 horizontal scrolling like on SNES Mini

No joke, 4k is amazing for retro game emulation! A good scanline filter can really shine at the breathing room of that resolution. Even if you just do a clean non-filtered image, the scaling ends up being razor sharp thanks to pixel density + 4k being a perfect integer scale of 240p. Of course you can still achieve good results at 720 or 1080p, though compromises will have to be made one way or the other.
It's always bizarre when I see a SNES game that wasn't developed with 4:3 in mind.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
It's always bizarre when I see a SNES game that wasn't developed with 4:3 in mind.

The vast majority of games I've seen will be stretched "too wide" in 4:3. The developers would usually fix the image for 4:3 when there were cutscene images or particular screens they felt were important, but the actual gameplay almost always looks correct in 8:7. Chrono Trigger has a lot of 4:3 screens in it, meaning that neither setting will make everything look perfect. I think Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are supposed to be correct in 4:3 all the time, but I don't play them and don't know for sure.

Luckily Nintendo has been pretty great about giving players the option for 1:1 pixels since the 3DS VC. I wish they went further to compete with PC emulators, though.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
They should do Whatever they did to make the assets/sprites from the NES and SNES Mario games look so good in Mario Maker.

They'd have to remake the games, but I'd love to see the Mario games remade like that though.

Eliseo

Oct 25, 2017
CRT 4:3 TV (or profesional monitor) will always be the best way, since the games and console were made for that. Other solutions can work, but they always have to compromise something. Like uenven scaling, input lag, emulation lag, etc.

4:3 with integer scaling and CRT royale kurozumi shader on a 4KTV

That would look stretched pretty sure

If you're emulating on 4K TV (or anything HD TV LCD or whatever) I'd go with 8:7 otherwise shit looks too wide

@__@ Thanks for the reply ^__^;

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
HD, Filters, and Save States? Yeah this has to be running on skme custom emulation software, I am slightly impressed. Didn't they nab a big name from the emulation community to work with N.E.R.D for the mini classics for this exact purpose? I know a lot are down on this service, but if they are getting work done for the service to run everything at a native resolution, its obvious more work than the Virtual zconsole is being done, and some day dozens if not hundreds of classic titles will be available for free any time you want from multiple Nintendo Platforms.
The potential of this feature alone makes me very hyped about this service overall, even if everything else about it is straight up trash.

I still think there needs to be more of an effort of porting old games to modern consoles and not emulating them.

As in port them with the same mechanics, fix some bugs, add some QOL improvements, and make them widescreen. Similar to Christian Whitehead's Sonic games.
Please don't, bugs and glitches are a part of what defines classic games and are essential for things like speedruns and exploits.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Hope they make a filter that allows the unscanned like effect (usually called a scanline filter, even though it's the opposite) with no blur/artefact crap added.

Had to hack the NES/SNES Minis to get those, even though the emulators natively had those options.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
No because we will never get Gamecube games on the service.

Have Nintendo said something to make you think that? The release of the Nvdia Shield console for China complete with HD versions of Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda TP makes me hopeful that Nintendo will release key back catalogue titles for Switch.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
No because we will never get Gamecube games on the service.
Despite Crystal Chronicles being on PS4 as well, I still have a suspicion that Nintendo informed Square of their plans and asked if in the future they could have it as part of their service, and Square Enix instead opted to instead release the game for both platforms and.bypass the service. It would make sense at the very least why now of all times to do so.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
How is it trolling? Is it not speculation that the service will have goodnemulatiom as well? If we take a look back at Nintendo's history we canseec nothing is guaranteed quit being a shill .

Considering that their most recent efforts with Canoe on the NES/SNES minis were extremely high quality, I think that to speculate it'd be crappy emulation would be the bigger rush to judgment here.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the emulation is as good as the NES classic.

"HD resolution" doesn't mean anything for NES and SNES games, but might be important if we ever get N64 onwards.

I wish there was a split-screen mode for speedrun races.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Also wonder how they'll handle aspect ratio, given that NES (and SNES) doesn't use square pixels for 4:3

14001346425_41b6ae33aa_o.png

Ideally, they'll have options for either of these ratios with interpolation to smooth over 4:3 horizontal scrolling like on SNES Mini
Best part about playing SNES games on the New 3DS is that pixel-perfect mode looks glorious.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Best part about playing SNES games on the New 3DS is that pixel-perfect mode looks glorious.

Yeah, I happily traded off aspect ratio accuracy there for just how razor sharp that mode is! Still bums me out we didn't get that option on NES 3DS VC, the resolution is way too low to simulate the stretched 4:3

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We aren't getting GC games. We're getting the same NES and SNES games we always do. Maybe some N64.

Then Nintendo will wheel out their new machine in a few years and we will have the same song and dance again

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I really need someone to post a side-by-side because I am having a really hard time imagining how higher resolutions benefit pixel-based games at all. It's not like 3D games where increasing the rendering resolution results in less aliasing and much higher IQ. It's not like you can render pixels at a higher resolutions and upscaling pixels seems equally meaningless.