• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
So people asked and I thought it was a good idea where we set up a family plan thread on here, like groups so we can have 7 people on it and get the discount.

What do you all think?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
So people asked and I thought it was a good idea where we set up a family plan thread on here, like groups so we can have 7 people on it and get the discount.

What do you all think?
When I tried mods locked it down, so I hope that this one lives on now that Nintendo made it clear is not "illegal"/ bad to use the plan with friends

Interesting idea, if youre willing to trust people with your money lol
We could ask a mod to be a broker, whoever is the main account if he runs away with the money gets banned

Nov 1, 2017
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have it in the fine print that you would have to be an actual family, or at least share an address. I could be wrong, and I'm sure some folk will give it a shot regardless of what's stated. Just, be wary of any negative outcomes Nintendo might decide to unleash upon you. In other words, I don't recommend doing this.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have it in the fine print that you would have to be an actual family, or at least share an address. I could be wrong, and folk are definitely more than welcome to give it a shot. Just, be wary of any negative outcomes Nintendo might decide to unleash upon you. In other words, I don't recommend doing this.
At the moment, you simply have to know someone's Email account to add them to a family plan. Not all families share an address.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I'll start things off, I already have 4 people for my family group so anyone else who joins would be paying $7 at most. PM me if you're interested.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have it in the fine print that you would have to be an actual family, or at least share an address. I could be wrong, and I'm sure some folk will give it a shot regardless of what's stated. Just, be wary of any negative outcomes Nintendo might decide to unleash upon you. In other words, I don't recommend doing this.

I searched through the Nintendo Account user agreement and there's no mention of family groups. I also can't find any mention of the conditions of who should be in a family group on their website.

This seemed like the most relevant statement I could find in the user agreement:

If Nintendo (including its subsidiaries and/or affiliates) is subject to any actual or threatened claims, costs, damages, losses, or other liabilities (collectively, "Covered Losses") as a result of your use of any of the Nintendo Account Services, or any data, information, or other item you make available through the Nintendo Account Services, then you agree to indemnify us from all such Covered Losses and any related costs, such as reasonable attorneys' fees.

Some jurisdictions limit consumer indemnities, so some or all of the indemnity provisions above may not apply to you. If you are obligated to indemnify us, we will have the right, in our sole discretion, to control any action or proceeding and determine whether we wish to settle it, and if so, on what terms.

What I take from that is if you were to do this and Nintendo were to later decide it was unacceptable, at most you'd have to pay the remaining combined total cost of individual membership (i.e. at most, $135/year). But the fact that there's no statement saying who family memberships are intended for on the website makes me think they don't care too much about non-"family" (and "family" itself is a loose and cultural term) memberships.

The official statement from Nintendo on what a Family Group is can be found here. Here it is quoted:

A Nintendo Account family group allows up to 8 Nintendo Account users to connect together into one group.

Family groups can include:

Note that My Nintendo activity (missions, My Nintendo points, etc) is not shared between members of a family group. My Nintendo points can only be viewed and redeemed by the member that earned the points.

The fact that Nintendo has called it a "family" group likely suggests their intent and most likely use case. However, they've also never included any information anywhere about unintended uses for this. Nintendo's planning had to have considered that some users would group with friends, yet they haven't called this out as an improper use or defined the proper use of a family group in any of the documentation they have. That said, I can't recommend this approach.

What I do recommend is that everyone following this approach read the fine print of the purchase agreement tomorrow. I also welcome anyone with more legal background to comment on my post with their own interpretations, as I'd prefer that my interpretations not mislead or misinform anyone.

Last edited:

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Though the other thread was posted in May. It made no sense to be posted 4 months ahead.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What if one of the accounts decides to hack their Switch and get everyone else's banned?

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was one of the people asking about forming a family plan. I'm still interested, although I heard that the administrator of the plan can potentially lock each member out from the eShop, etc.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
What if one of the accounts decides to hack their Switch and get everyone else's banned?

Yeah, I was one of the people asking about forming a family plan. I'm still interested, although I heard that the administrator of the plan can potentially lock each member out from the eShop, etc.

The admin has some power and control over the accounts in a group. So the admin of a Family Group you are part of should be someone you trust.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I believe that only applies to parent-child accounts. Although the family group admin CAN add or remove members from the group anytime.

Oct 28, 2017
I am basically using this family account to pay for online for all my friends for one low price so I don't have to convince any of them to sign up themselves but I can still keep playing games with them.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
I am basically using this family account to pay for online for all my friends for one low price so I don't have to convince any of them to sign up themselves but I can still keep playing games with them.
That's quite nice. And a good way to approach it. Instead of convincing or lamenting one or some can't join, you all just play together.

Milhouse

Oct 25, 2017
So you can share a plan, all be online at the same time, with different accounts/gamer tags?

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is hacking possible? Sure, it's just not widespread yet.

Is banning all accounts associated? Most likely and it makes sense to do so from Nintendo's perspective.
I know hacking is possible, but I don't know about banning a whole group. It seems Nintendo is managing this per Nintendo Account, and maybe per console, but banning 8 consoles because of one account seems unrealistic.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is hacking possible? Sure, it's just not widespread yet.

Is banning all accounts associated? Most likely and it makes sense to do so from Nintendo's perspective.

They don't ban accounts to begin with, they ban consoles. They're not going to ban all consoles under an account bracket, that makes zero sense.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Is this really worth it? $300 for the console, $80 for joycons, $70 for a pro controller, $60 for NES controllers after you have an online membership, and $60 for every new major release from Nintendo. But this $15 saved through sketchy means is what you bend over backwards for lol

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
This is definitely how things will work here in Brazil. Heck almost all ps4 games here are sold as shared accounts.
But in Nintendo's case it seems it's less shady.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know hacking is possible, but I don't know about banning a whole group. It seems Nintendo is managing this per Nintendo Account, and maybe per console, but banning 8 consoles because of one account seems unrealistic.
You don't think it would make sense for them to ban all accounts associated with a hacker?

They don't ban accounts to begin with, they ban consoles. They're not going to ban all consoles under an account bracket, that makes zero sense.
It actually makes total sense to ban all accounts affiliated with a hacker.

A bunch of people seem to be pulling stuff out of their asses with this new service.
Fuck off, it's very reasonable speculation.

Dimmle

Oct 25, 2017
People here seriously think Nintendo is going to audit family groups according to some non-existent definition of family?

If you choose to start a family plan with friends, you're well within the use case stated on the site. There's no parent-child relationship necessary.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
The mynintendo offers are 1 for subscription.
And we don't know if there are limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.