• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People jumping the gun and getting outraged before we have any concrete information. Sounds like standard vidja community affair all round.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
People jumping the gun and getting outraged before we have any concrete information. Sounds like standard vidja community affair all round.

To be fair, we should have the information by now. That Nintendo is waiting up until the wire to share it is *not* encouraging.

Risq

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aren't most of Nintendo's NES games single player? You can't do multiplayer Zelda, Zelda II, Metroid, Punchout, Kid Icarus or Kirby Adventure.

It's just the 3 Mario's which is going to be boring online, and uh Balloon Fight and Urban Champion?

My bet is for the single player games they will add leaderboards or similar. Read their website if you are keen to learn more or stay here and feign some outrage and confusion.

To be fair, we should have the information by now. That Nintendo is waiting up until the wire to share it is *not* encouraging.

Well it's only a month away so no real need to stress out. If you own a switch you've already invested whether you like it or not, if you don't then you just have to wait a little longer if an extra $20/year is a huge deal.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is so perfect for Virtual Console game :(

Give me a Netflix style subscription and I'll gladly give them money every month for a growing library of classic games.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I feel like September 30 there will be a tweet saying "Nintendo online launching really very very soon... Like today"

Then at 11:59pm a tweet that just says "Shit"

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We know basically everything actually. All we don't know is the remaining 10 NES games, the exclusive deals/discounts, and the actual process for backing up saves. Everything else is spelled out pretty clearly on the website.

We know almost everything. It's a very basic service. Nothing else announced is likely going to change your opinion on whether it's worth $20 a year or not.
That's my point exactly. If the service is pretty basic and straight forward then just tell us all the details at once. If none of them are going to do anything to sell the service then there are no good reasons to hold that info back. The remaining NES games I can see holding back a little bit, but they gain nothing from slowly rolling out little details that could all be shown at once. If anything it only makes the service look worse by continually reminding consumers of how basic it is

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are just going to delay the online service until 2019.

No sense in spoiling everyone's Christmas with half-baked services.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo certainly has not improved on the communication front.

In fact they've always been shit at that. And they might just be getting worse.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still as terrible as when it was first announced. Not surprised though.

lol they can't even get their infrastructure to support universal cloud saves? Is it 2006? Am I young again?
I wish it was 2006, the Wii had a fantastic Virtual Console service with tons of platforms and games available for purchase.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It feels bad that saying the 2nd half of September is not even new news since Fall doesnt start until the 2nd half of the month

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
My bet is for the single player games they will add leaderboards or similar. Read their website if you are keen to learn more or stay here and feign some outrage and confusion.
I think they have elaborated on that, the online for those games is a drop in drop out spectate mode where you can chat and "pass the controller"

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

We're six weeks away. The reception up to this point has not been positive and after that tweet, things just got worse. Nintendo needs to have better communication for a service that's going to affect their users and their playing habits.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We know almost everything. It's a very basic service. Nothing else announced is likely going to change your opinion on whether it's worth $20 a year or not.
It won't, but it's a bit ridiculous that they can't bother being more transparent about this. A lot of their language seems to imply "there's more to come" without a definitive answer.

At one point they wouldn't even say what games required online. I think that has since been answered(?), then they could also be less vague about what are these "compatible games" and what are the other half NES games they have yet to reveal. Makes everything so much more confusing, and I don't know why it's always Nintendo doing stuff like this and waiting until the last minute to give clarity to the people they want as paying customers.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I think ResetERA is reading into the "compatible" wording WAY too much and taking a knee-jerk reaction to something not worth the attention at this point. There are certain games where the developer might have an interest in not allowing cloud saves due to hacking and cheating in online games.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't, but it's a bit ridiculous that they can't bother being more transparent about this. A lot of their language seems to imply "there's more to come" without a definitive answer.

At one point they wouldn't even say what games required online. I think that has since been answered(?), then they could also be less vague about what are these "compatible games" and what are the other half NES games they have yet to reveal. Makes everything so much more confusing, and I don't know why it's always Nintendo doing stuff like this and waiting until the last minute to give clarity to the people they want as paying customers.

My guess is Nintendo remains secretive about this stuff until right before launch because consumers ultimately don't really care. If the service is "good enough", many will purchase it, including a lot of its most vocal dissenters. As a consumer, I'm not happy about how Nintendo handles these things, but it rarely hurts them, so until it truly does, they ain't changing.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How is wanting more info as opposed to vague answers potentially less than a month prior to launch "jumping the gun"? The gun was fired ages ago and started rusting over by now lol

My guess is Nintendo remains secretive about this stuff until right before launch because consumers ultimately don't really care. If the service is "good enough", many will purchase it, including a lot of its most vocal dissenters. As a consumer, I'm not happy about how Nintendo handles these things, but it rarely hurts them, so until it truly does, they ain't changing.
Exactly! I love Nintendo but I really hate how they do this and get away with it, which will just prompt them doing things like this again. Ultimately, I don't really care, and previously I've made similar comments to what you just said, because at the end of the day it's only 20 bucks and most people probably don't care as much as Era members do anyway. But it does still bug me how often they pull stuff like this.

Oct 27, 2017
I think ResetERA is reading into the "compatible" wording WAY too much and taking a knee-jerk reaction to something not worth the attention at this point. There are certain games where the developer might have an interest in not allowing cloud saves due to hacking and cheating in online games.
Shh. No reason, just fear

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
They've already mentioned other applications for online of single player games previously, though I'm not sure if it's on the website anywhere. From what I recall, they said that you could basically be screen-sharing the game at the same time and have the option to "pass the controller" to the other player, allowing for trade-off play. Leaderboards for score-based games are also likely. Nothing earth-shattering but it could be neat to tag-team a game like Zelda, I've done it before in real-space so the appeal's there.

As far as the cloud saves thing goes, I feel like people are reading the "compatible games" part of it and treating it like they're only going to support it on 20% of games, rather than 99%. It sounds to me like necessary legalese to keep their asses covered in case of rare exceptions (people mentioning Pokemon or other particular third-party games probably have the right idea) moreso than a warning that you'll never actually use it.

It sucks that the paywall is still coming, but we've known its coming since January 2017. Everyone wants Nintendo to get with the modern times with online? Well, here's how it starts. Enjoy your monkey's paw I guess.

Risq

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're six weeks away. The reception up to this point has not been positive and after that tweet, things just got worse. Nintendo needs to have better communication for a service that's going to affect their users and their playing habits.

People are going to buy it regardless at this stage. Paying for online is part and parcel with consoles now like it or not. Across both Sony and Nintendo services we aren't actually paying for online since they don't provide servers for every or even the majority of games.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's probably what this means, but I think the video recording feature has people understandably worried. Devs have to explicitly have it implemented, as it's not an automatic system feature. Maybe the same will be true here, which would be really stupid. Hopefully that's not the case and Nintendo's just covering their asses for the handful of games that won't utilize cloud saves for whatever reason.

Oct 27, 2017
That's probably what this means, but I think the video recording feature has people understandably worried. Devs have to explicitly have that feature implemented, as it's not an automatic system feature. Maybe the same will be true here, which would be really stupid. Hopefully that's not the case and Nintendo's just covering their asses for the handful of games that won't utilize cloud saves for whatever reason.
Why would it be stupid? Some devs don't want video capture and t does incur a minor CPU cost, which is why it wasn't enabled by default. Doesn't mean it isn't a system feature

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm very curious to see how this library of classic games grows over time. It'll be very telling how the rest of their class systems will be handheld if it ends up being one new game a week / month.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having to enable it doesn't mean they have to "implement" anything really. Like video capture, it probably just isn't enabled by default

Video capture requires a patch if your game didn't have it enabled at launch, so it's more complicated than just flipping a switch.

Anyway, the point is...people have a right to be a little concerned about the wording, though like I already stated, it's probably going to turn out fine.

Risq

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't video capture use whatever resources are reserved by the OS anyway and not mess with whatever is allocated to running the games themselves?

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I'm sure they will show more information. Gamescom is in like 15 days and I'm sure we will see a Direct then because they said they will showcase titles during Gamescom.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, we should have the information by now.

The start is more than a month away. Enough time to share more information.

Nonetheless, because the service can be shared from several independent Switch consoles it will only cost a few dollar a year for many people anyway. So I don't expect much more besides some free games and cloud saves.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't homebrew the reason there isn't a way?

Probably, but Sony allows it and it wasn't how their console got hacked.

Yeah it's unfortunate but I don't think it's anything to get outraged over.

IDK, having to pay ransoms is definitely something I feel is a reason to get outraged over. You not only have to pay a ransom to access online, but also for something as basic as backing up your saves now.

Lpchaim

Oct 25, 2017
You know, hadn't ocurred to me until now but GBA games with link cable functionality over wifi would be marvelous and fit right in with the whole added online features schtick. Probably a looooong way off still but hey a man can dream!
still need more info on whether family membership gets full funcitonality
Yep, planning on going with the family plan so that's sorely needed.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of info this close only reinforces my theory that they're just gonna drop the thing without much of a fuss.