• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wagmarwigmir

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Its depressing that they kept pushing this back and literally only added one thing. Im so dissapointed in Nintendo.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I'm also considering passing on this. $20 is fuckall but there comes a point where you got to vote with your wallet. I've let it slide with the horrible pricing of older games and ports but this is just garbage
Yeah the money is nothing but their vision is horrible and i dont want to support it. Luckily they have nothing i'm dying to play online.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda insane that voice chat is still app based. You'd think the fee would give them enough money to make it work on the system itself.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it though? I think it's more that this site is over-reacting to all this. It's all still 20 bucks a year, a little over a buck a month. Down to cents and 4-5 bucks a year if you exploit the family system. For some 20 games with added online, with likely a lot more to be added.

It's certainly a significantly better deal than individually paying 5-10 bucks on VC for each individual NES game.

20 bucks a year to not be able to message my friends online which all the other systems can do for free. 20 bucks to still not be able to invite friends on fifa. There's no defending this with "it's cheap" they're making us pay for a service that doesn't even provide the bare minimum.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it though? I think it's more that this site is over-reacting to all this. It's all still 20 bucks a year, a little over a buck a month. Down to cents and 4-5 bucks a year if you exploit the family system. For some 20 games with added online, with likely a lot more to be added.

It's certainly a significantly better deal than individually paying 5-10 bucks on VC for each individual NES game.
I just mean the online service as a whole, as a subscription service for games, this isn't half bad (I would still have liked a purchase option).

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in another post, I think the SNES era is where you can start making the argument for timeless classic. Those are the raging bull and godfather games. NES games are silent black and white films. I have played most of the NES library, and finished all the big Nintendo titles. I bought a NES classic to relive some games. They're just too derivitive for me. I didn't say all people would agree. But I think the argument is made. As for the "real gamer" question, that's so arbitrary it made me laugh.

Do you even know the meaning of "derivative"... ?

The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 3, are genre defining and great games even today. Both SMB3 and Kirby on the NES are on par with the best indie production.

There are silent films like Metropolis or A Trip to the Moon or Battleship Potemkin that are maybe a bit tedious for some but are still pretty cool examples of cinematography - and so you can find stuff like Sweet Home, the first Final Fantasy, Mega Man I and II and Metroid on the NES.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, if I have two Switch systems, I can have all my games downloaded to both? And I can start a game on one on the go, then switch to the docked one and continue my game later?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shame they followed by keeping online hostage. Same old that Microsoft and Sony did but worse. It's cheap but you know people wouldn't pay for those games.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Sure, but I think we're all forgetting that these type of services get better with time.

Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Amazon Prime, XBL, etc. were pretty much nothing compared to what they are now.

That's said, given I pay Playstation Plus $50 purely for cloud saves (I know you can back up via USB...but it's a terrible option), this is fine.

Whilst that's true to a degree, you can't enter a market with a product several iterations behind the competition, say "We'll catch up" and expect it to take off and be widely accepted.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
Please reject this. Please. Please just don't give Nintendo your money for this. They can do better. Make them do better.

Yep I can stomach the paying for online (though I don't like it on any console) and I'm fine with the 20 NES games (playing the original Zelda on the switch is actually something I look forward to) and maybe SNES and N64 stuff comes out later down the line but, If you are locking the only way of backing up my game saves behind a paywall and even then not let me use it for all games. Then this will be the first console I hack before it becomes unsupported because fuck you Nintendo that is stupid beyond belief.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is embarrassing and cant be tolerated. I already lost my save games once because my switch was stolen. I get that cloud saves are part of the paid online and i'm fine with that, but not implementing a function to backup your saves to an SD card???

People saying "oh online is cheap anyways compared to other systems". I have zero interest in playing online on the switch, the entire online ecosystem is an absolute disaster and archaic. And the "oh but youre getting free NES games" argument doesn't cut it either. You can run those on a freaking calculator. If they included 2 Wii games every month then it'd be more reasonable. Their competitors are releasing multiple current gen and last gen games every month, this is the equivalent of Switch and Wii U games.

Homebrew cant come soon enough, I'm sure as hell not updating my switch beyond 4.0.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else fine with this? I don't really have any complaints and am looking forward to more games joining the service. $20 for online play and cloud saves and some games is fine with me. I love the NES and look forward to playing SMB3 and others.
I'm cool with it. The NES games would likely be 5 dollars a pop to buy individually, getting 20 out of the gate sounds like a great deal with more on the way later. They will have to expand to other systems eventually. Gameboy/Color/Advance and Snes all seem possible.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So, if I have two Switch systems, I can have all my games downloaded to both? And I can start a game on one on the go, then switch to the docked one and continue my game later?
Nintendo only allows games to be stored on one console at a time. To install games on another console requires disabling the games from the first. They are advertising cloud saves as a way to back them up, not a way to save to the cloud and load to another device.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played every NES game that ever existed, but the console is just too old. SNES games aged beautifully. NES games havent in any way. Even the original LoZ is bad. I didnt grow up with them, so maybe I just dont "get" what made them good, but as contemporary games, they are just too archaic. Maybe there is a good Tetris-like puzzle game hidden somewhere, I havent heard of, but most action games on it are just not good anymore.

I didn't grow up with it either; this isn't just nostalgia talking. The games are largely straightforward, quick to get into, and fun. On at least two fronts, that's more than can be said for most modern games.

I think it might help to look more into the console's 1000+ game library before writing it off.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Anyone else fine with this? I don't really have any complaints and am looking forward to more games joining the service. $20 for online play and cloud saves and some games is fine with me. I love the NES and look forward to playing SMB3 and others.

Love it.

I was less enthused when it was to be one rotating title per month, but there's a ton of potential for Ninflix, very curious to see how they grow it.

The price point makes up for any other shortcomings, in my mind.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Nintendo only allows games to be stored on one console at a time. To install games on another console requires disabling the games from the first. They are advertising cloud saves as a way to back them up, not a way to save to the cloud and load to another device.
Exactly. Because management seems to be completely out of touch with the modern world. It's laughable.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't message friends.
Still can't invite friends in certain games like Fifa.
Still can't voice chat properly.

I don't care if it's cheaper, they're not offering the bare minimum.
I dont do that stuff anyway on Switch. I can use discord or XBL. Your bare minimum dont mean a damn thing to me. All I care about is playing online.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I don't care about online play, so I'm definitely not getting this unless 1) they offer a significantly better selection of retro games, and/or 2) the discounts on e-Shop purchases are worth it.

I'm curious, though: what do the people decrying this as the worst thing ever think about the online programs for Xbox and Playstation? Because frankly, I have no interest in paying significantly more to have an offering of more recent games I mostly don't want to play instead of retro ones I mostly don't want to play. I'm not thrilled about this program, but I still think the price makes it substantially better than something like PS Plus (of which I'm not a subscriber on my PS4, nor do I feel any interest in becoming one).

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
But that's half the reason to even have cloud saves so u can play Ur files on other consoles or friends consoles lol

Deleted member 19274

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Clix

Banned
I'm just saying, the larger masses are just bending over and taking this. It's maddening.

Maddening that we are not throwing childish tantrums and making a mountain out of a mole hill? Because this is exactly what it is. I get wanting local backup saves too for those that want it. That is a SEPARATE discussion however.

I am paying 20 bucks for a Netflix style service, starting with 20 games that will grow from there. Plus eshop exclusive discounts. Plus cloud saves. I see no issue.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

I'm fine with it. Cloud saving was never really a big deal for me, so that's a nonfactor. I don't play a whole lot of multiplayer games so I'll probably pay as I need the service.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Still can't message friends.
Still can't invite friends in certain games like Fifa.
Still can't voice chat properly.

I don't care if it's cheaper, they're not offering the bare minimum.
You've used the final version of the online app they are going to release in September? There hasn't been any hints that you can't message friends in the upcoming online service. But it does mention supporting "online messaging services"

Oct 27, 2017
I was more ok with this back when they originally announced it, which seems like ages ago. Now I'm used to playing Switch games online for free. I don't care about cloud saves, so this feels like being charged $20 for a bunch of mostly dated NES games that I've already played a thousand times. I understand they'll add more games later and I hope they do it in a way that makes this feel like a better value.

Really all I wanted from this was for Nintendo to add some kind of basic OS-level messaging system so friends can easily invite me to games I'm not already playing. Paying for an online system where my friend has to text me to ask if I want to play Rocket League because I am playing Wild Guns is just stupid.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's offer is access to cloud saves, online play and a bunch of NES games with online play for £18 a month. I, as a consumer, am happy with that offer and will gladly pay it.

Whatever issues you lot have with the service, keep the rest of us the fuck out of it. Implying that we're dragging the rest of you down with us is outright fucking insulting, we're adults who have made a decision for ourselves. If you're not happy, ok cool, you're absolutely entitled not to be. Shout, stamp your feet, do what you have to for as long as you have to, but keep your fucking finger pointing to yourselves.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I feel most people will pay for it for the low price and are more forgiving for the exclusion of features in XBL and PSN. But should be interested to see how many subscribe.

$20 for more than 20 NES games on your Switch might be the biggest sale for most people than continuing to play online.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've used the final version of the online app they are going to release in September? There hasn't been any hints that you can't message friends in the upcoming online service.
There hasn't been a single hint that you can. They've detailed Switch online and there wasn't a single mention of it, why would I assume that you'll be able to but they just couldn't be bothered telling us?

So what? I used to pay $50 a year for PS plus. This shit less than $2 a month.

It's still a crap service where you have to pay to not have features all the other systems have for free.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
This shit less than $2 a month.
Ef9r.gif

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's offer is access to cloud saves, online play and a bunch of NES games with online play for £18 a month. I, as a consumer, am happy with that offer and will gladly pay it.

Whatever issues you lot have with the service, keep the rest of us the fuck out of it. Implying that we're dragging the rest of you down with us is outright fucking insulting, we're adults who have made a decision for ourselves. If you're not happy, ok cool, you're absolutely entitled not to be. Shout, stamp your feet, do what you have to for as long as you have to, but keep your fucking finger pointing to yourselves.
seriously. Because I dont find value in sending a message I am bending over? I feel like I'm defending my stance for liking it instead of Nintendo.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
There hasn't been a single hint that you can. They've detailed Switch online and there wasn't a single mention of it, why would I assume that you'll be able to but they just couldn't be bothered telling us?
They haven't "detailed" Switch Online, they've mentioned a few features and said that they were going to reveal more about it later on. And the site does say it supports "messaging services"

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel most people will pay for it for the low price and are more forgiving for the exclusion of features in XBL and PSN. But should be interested to see how many subscribe.

$20 for more than 20 NES games on your Switch might be the biggest sale for most people than continuing to play online.

I definitely think the factor of being able to play online will be a lot bigger once Smash and Pokemon come out, considering how huge their online scene is. Nintendo could've included literally nothing in this and just asked for money and those people would still pay for it. Pokemon fans already do with the Pokemon Bank thing.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could back up to an sd card, but I'm perfectly fine with $20 for cloud saves and the nes games. its so cheap I honestly cant care. and I haven't paid for ps plus or xbl in years.

im shocked how angry people are in this thread.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I don't care about online play, so I'm definitely not getting this unless 1) they offer a significantly better selection of retro games, and/or 2) the discounts on e-Shop purchases are worth it.

I'm curious, though: what do the people decrying this as the worst thing ever think about the online programs for Xbox and Playstation? Because frankly, I have no interest in paying significantly more to have an offering of more recent games I mostly don't want to play instead of retro ones I mostly don't want to play. I'm not thrilled about this program, but I still think the price makes it substantially better than something like PS Plus (of which I'm not a subscriber on my PS4, nor do I feel any interest in becoming one).
not sure what the point of bringing ps or xbox into this is

You get a lot more features in free mode and paid on ps4 and tons of free games around 6 to 8 monthly across ps4 ps3 and ps vita let alone already established party chat and lots of video and music service and a competent browser

I have less experience with xbox live but I'm sure it is significantly more online feature rich than Nintendo's offering and also has a few games each quarter or so with gwg and now are offering bc with og xbox and 360 so there is obviously far more valur proposition from an old games content invariably here

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's still a crap service where you have to pay to not have features all the other systems have for free.
I honestly dont care about those features other than playing online so get out of here with that