• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
They really should just copy/paste Xbox Live's features if they gonna make up pay.

No voice chat on the console is still insane.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the price is fair enough for this to do well. I Just hope they really went back to the drawing board with the feature set of the phone app. If they can integrate party chat, text messages, notifications, communities, etc into it, most people of the people who actually enjoy playing the switch online will appreciate the connectivity. Also, Nintendo should create a web version of the Nintendo online app as well. I think Nintendo should take Discord up on their offer to help them out and let them completely revamp their phone app.

What would really be welcome is if they just let the phone app be a bluetooth connector that lets the voice chat come through the audio with the game audio. Something like that should be possible, right? The phone receives audio (your chat) and sends it to other phones which send that audio to the bluetooth attached console.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how most news sites' (and investors') reactions are basically the polar opposite of the majority of people in this thread. Most people are treating the pricing and NES games as a pretty solid value.

I tend to agree too, I really don't care too much about online gaming but I like the idea of getting a bunch of NES (and maybe SNES+ eventually) games for less than $2 a month.

I love how you align yourself with investors rather than other people who may game on Nintendo in this thread.

Wouldn't trust investors or news sites to be making positive changes to gamers.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
*sees no tangible benefits over what we have enjoyed on Nintendo systems prior to this*
"seems like a reasonable price compared to the others tho"
???

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I love how you align yourself with investors rather than other people who may game on Nintendo in this thread.

Wouldn't trust investors or news sites to be making positive changes to gamers.

A) I'm not aligning myself with anyone, I'm laughing at the huge divide between the two groups. I think the requirement of the app is still utter bullshit and them holding saves hostage behind a paywall is even bullshittier.

B) I am actually an investor. As an investor I see this is going to make them a hell of a lot of money, despite the protests from forums like this.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
not sure what the point of bringing ps or xbox into this is
Those are obviously the best points of comparison as to whether Nintendo's offering is something on-par with what's already available in the market.

You get a lot more features in free mode and paid on ps4 and tons of free games around 6 to 8 monthly across ps4 ps3 and ps vita let alone already established party chat and lots of video and music service and a competent browser
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of those features have nothing to do with those platform's paid service, rendering them moot to the discussion. Also, I wouldn't call the PS4 browser "competent" by any stretch of the imagination, but I suppose your mileage may vary.

As for the actual benefits, the games (which are obviously not free, as they're included in your monthly fee) seem to be the one perk you've listed (EDIT: and obviously online perks such as party chat, but we still have no true idea how that will work on Switch, so there's no point of comparison). As I said in my original post, Nintendo obviously offers games as well, and if this first month is anything to go by, in much larger quantities - albeit retro games, but for an extremely smaller fee. As far as my personal preferences are concerned, I'd much rather pay much less and get random retro games instead of much more and get random recent ones, as considering both Nintendo's initial games and the usual PS+ month, the vast majority of the titles on offer won't be stuff I'm actually interested in.

Of course, that is considering a similar quality of in-game online connection, but that's obviously something that can't be judged until Nintendo's service goes live.

So I'm still confused why some people seem to think other console online paid services are a better deal when they cost significantly more and in turn offer an extra benefit (in the form of "modern" games) that is by no means an objective measure of quality. Mind you, I think all of them are close to a ripoff in current terms, but as I said, if I absolutely have to pay in order to get access to online, I'd much rather pay much less and make do with a retro game selection which includes some all-time masterpieces.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this had:
  • a way to backup your saves to a physical device for non-subscribers
  • system level voice chat
  • a system level messaging app
  • the ability to download your games to more than one system simultaneously
Then I would mostly be fine with it (at least in comparison to XBLG and PS+). That really is it. Four simple things that both competitors offer.

(I'm still getting this anyway as I can't do without online in Pokémon. Yes I know that I am part of the problem.)

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I think a lot of people on this forum are underappreciating just how big a draw a library of NES with added online features will be to the average Switch owner, particularly if the library does continue to grow like Nintendo has promised. Look at how huge the NES classic was, without online functionality. I think a lot of people would pay $20/year for that service alone. I mean, even with just the initial 20 games, you're still only paying $1/year per game vs. $5/game in VC. It'd take 5 years for the VC to be the cheaper option, and by then the library of available games will (hopefully) be much larger.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about how good the "special offers" will be. I remember beforehand they called it eshop discounts... Even if the discounts are rather small the minor price of entry for the subscription will probably make it cheaper overall to subscribe, depending on how many games you get.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could I ask, people keep mentioning this 'NES Classics' branding as a sort of replacement for Virtual Console. Where are people getting this from? Isn't it NES: Nintendo Switch Online?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's because it was from the other thread I guess, kinda got them mixed together, but they both deal with saves.

Also this is from their PR:

• Save Data Cloud Backup: By using Nintendo Switch Online, a backup of Nintendo Switch save data for most Nintendo Switch games will be stored online for easy access. This is great for people who want to retrieve their data if they lose, break or purchase an additional Nintendo Switch system.
So clearly there's a way to retrieve saves on a new system, even if they're encrypted.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about how good the "special offers" will be. I remember beforehand they called it eshop discounts... Even if the discounts are rather small the minor price of entry for the subscription will probably make it cheaper overall to subscribe, depending on how many games you get.

Same! I'm already ok with the value I'll get for $20/year, but the discounts could make that even better for me. Combine that with the rewards program and we'll be cooking with gas.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I always predicted game companies would go the Netflix route sooner or later, I don't know why anyone is surprised by this

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Also this is from their PR:

So clearly there's a way to retrieve saves on a new system, even if they're encrypted.

Ah, there it is then, right in front of me lol. Glad that's settled, thanks. Gotta wonder about the people who don't want to retrieve their data if they lose, break or purchase an additional Switch, what is great for them? ;)

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
It's not when you're constantly seeing people defend a crap service because it's cheap. Seeing everybody defending absolute rubbish just because it's Nintendo is incredibly frustrating to read.

Who are you to make a value judgement for other people?

Do you really think that somebody looks at what Nintendo offers at the price they are offering it and say "I would pay 20 bucks for that?" If so, that's borderline delusional. That's not how value proposition works.

NewGuy

Nov 23, 2017
It's not when you're constantly seeing people defend a crap service because it's cheap. Seeing everybody defending absolute rubbish just because it's Nintendo is incredibly frustrating to read.

No, i think you need to tack a step back from this online discussion, no matter how anyone feels about this service, their opinion shouldn't warrant you likening them to eating shit. it sounds incredibly childish. they have found value were you obviously don't and there is nothing wrong with that.

Deleted member 36718

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I'd rather pay more for something than something for nothing

Agree 100%. I would be more okay with paying PS+ prices for an online featureset Sony and Microsoft offer over paying $20 a year for almost nothing. I don't care about being able to play a copy of Ice climber that I don't own. Having a way to back up saves should be free, even if it's not cloud based.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I like how $20 a year gets you: online play, cloud saves, access to 20 NES games with online play included, other perks they haven't announced yet, and people claim you get "almost nothing".

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The only thing I care about in this feature list is cloud saves, so I'd literally be paying to store my saves online since I don't care about mp or the NES games. Pretty bonkers, paying for a service that should be a free update or should've been available at launch.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If paying $20 a year for an unlimited/evolving catalog of NES and SNES games with retrofitted online play makes me a shit eater well then oink oink motherfucker

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I care about in this feature list is cloud saves, so I'd literally be paying to store my saves online since I don't care about mp or the NES games. Pretty bonkers, paying for a service that should be a free update or should've been available at launch.

What about the "special offers" which were previously called "exclusive discounts"?

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I expect Nintendo will push a firmware update to allow save backup to SD card eventually. So a physical device thats down to you to own, which im sure 99% of switch owners will, period. The cloud saves are for the lazy and rich!

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
This. I want Nintendo to actually get with modern times. People actively cheering anti-consumer and terrible policies is stupid. Nintendo seems to be the only company where people are actually happy with crap policies and shitty decisions. No other company would get away with this.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony or Microsoft was offering this level of services in 2018, gamers on those systems wouldn't accept it. Nintendo is about two generations behind with regards to online features. We knew there were problems last year but I expected Nintendo to deliver a fully-fledged online service once they started charging. People saying, "well it's only $20", I say this- you're paying $20 for an extremely substandard level of service. I'd pay $60/year for a standard level of service; I already have 2 XBL subs and a PSN sub for my family as it is. Having a "discounted" price for crap service is not a selling point, to me. What Nintendo is offering here isn't worth any amount of money. Zero. Zilch. NES games? LOL is that a joke?

I think I may sell my Switch now since they are still fetching good money on Craigslist. This year has been particularly bad for games on the system and while I like Smash, the killer app for me is going to be Metroid. I'll just rebuy the system when that comes out next year. Splatoon 2 gets a lot of play in my house still but this online plan is trash, it's a slap in the face on top of the other problems with the Switch.

They really should just copy/paste Xbox Live's features if they gonna make up pay.

No voice chat on the console is still insane.

Yes. That's what Sony has done, and Playstation Network is a fine online service now, just about as good as Live, which is the gold standard IMO.