• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Advocating Piracy
Well that's kinda a silly argument. I can steal games to but that doesn't mean it's right.

If someone already paid like 3 times for the same fucking game I'd say that ppl are ethically entitled to download it or rip it instead of paying for this crap.

Is amazing that MS is handling his legacy 100x better than Nintendo.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe because I grew up with these games, but having NES games with online play sounds pretty amazing. I still go back to my NES and SNES classics quite a bit.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The "Netflix for games" thing is only true if Netflix consisted of nothing except Happy Days, the Brady Bunch, and Quantum Leap.

Deleted member 36718

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I like how $20 a year gets you: online play, cloud saves, access to 20 NES games with online play included, other perks they haven't announced yet, and people claim you get "almost nothing".

Online play was free before with essentially the same feature set (their comments on voice chat indicate that those "perks they haven't announced yet" aren't basic features seen on every other platform for the past 13 years) and I don't care about old NES games I've paid for multiple times already. Locking the only way to back up saves behind a paywall when no other system does that isn't a good deal, sorry.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
I don't use voice chat so I actually prefer this service over Sony's just for the price.

Last edited:

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: Console War rhetoric
I also wonder every time there is this kind of reaction to a Nintendo announcement how many people who are posting so negatively are being paid to do so? Maybe that's just me, but that seems to be the world we currently live in. This is the social media of gaming right here, and if you want to be an "influencer", this is the thread to do it in.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine for 20, it just needs messaging then it's perfect.

I'd rather have it be 20 like this, than 60 with SNES, N64 GCN etc... Couldn't care less about playing older games I have on 3 different consoles.

I already find PSN too expensive.

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can't even message your friends

i keep coming back to this... they have literally missed every shot when it comes to online
can't message friends
can't search for username, have to use friend code
friends don't have a 'real name' field so there's no distinction and no way to tell who is who
can't party up
can't voice chat others through the system itself

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also wonder every time there is this kind of reaction to a Nintendo announcement how many people who are posting so negatively are being paid to do so? Maybe that's just me, but that seems to be the world we currently live in. This is the social media of gaming right here, and if you want to be an "influencer", this is the thread to do it in.
It's just you. Also that makes zero sense, the other way around would be more logical. People are complaining because Nintendo makes a shitty decision here so they should get some backlash.

Deleted member 36718

Banned
Dec 23, 2017

Wow lol God forbid Nintendo actually do things that are worth criticizing. Nope, people who are unsatisfied with their offerings and wish they'd do more are just being paid, sure.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
15% instead of 10% and god fordib not on first party titles.

Even if it's something that minor, remember you're paying $20 a year. So if you utilize these discounts enough (say for 4-5 games in a year) then it's very possible the service will pay for itself. It's such a small amount of money per month that the discounts need to make up for...

I think people are really overlooking these "special offers".

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Huh? This is objectively a feature-incomplete, bad online service. Negative reactions to that were inevitable. It has nothing to do with paid shills... this is pretty pathetic tbh.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
Unfortunately, I had to get rid of my Switch awhile ago. I will be getting another one soon, but the only thing that hurt about it...

ALL 300 hours of BotW, Odyssey, etc. gone. Ridiculous.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I like how $20 a year gets you: online play, cloud saves, access to 20 NES games with online play included, other perks they haven't announced yet, and people claim you get "almost nothing".

People should be thankful for paid access to cloud saves, online gaming, and the chance to play Ice Climbers for the billionth time.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've heard of shills but anti-shills is a new concept lol

Yeah sure it's all possible. We can't prove any of it for either side in any case.

Also it'd probably be infinitely more worthwhile to do something like that on reddit(and I'm pretty sure people do) where a single top comment can potentially be seen by hundreds of thousands, as opposed to a few hundreds and possibly thousands on a forum like this.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like accusing people of shilling is a reportable/bannable offense, so I'd advise caution there.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing well not paying for online this year. Guess I will change that and at least it is not the same prices or near same as Xboxlive or PSN.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Unfortunately, I had to get rid of my Switch awhile ago. I will be getting another one soon, but the only thing that hurt about it...

ALL 300 hours of BotW, Odyssey, etc. gone. Ridiculous.

My 5 year old was playing his switch with a friend over the weekend, both on SMO neon switches. Somewhere in the fun/madness the boys save 'got' deleted. 450 moons gone. His face was err tragic. My son had no clue how it happened. I explained to them both Nintendo hates you etc..

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm betting if you buy enough games in a year the service will pay for itself fairly easily.

Heck, with plans being available for purchase in the eShop, it's entirely possible we'll be able to use our gold coins to purchase a subscription. If that's the case, I'll probably never have to pay actual money for this service.

it's freaking $20 dollars a YEAR,

you pay that at a fancy restaurant in ONE NIGHT,

jesus,

Dude, I pay $20 on a trip to Wendy's

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I'll probably subscribe for the NES games. I wonder how often they'll add new ones though.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Even so, you're paying $1.67 a month and if the discounts even amount to an extra $3 in gold coins (aka double gold coins for purchases) that still gives you an awfully big incentive to subscribe.

I'll probably subscribe but cloud saves will still be the main reason. I'll be paying for peace of mind. It's not that big of a deal, but it's less than ideal for someone not into online gaming.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I also wonder every time there is this kind of reaction to a Nintendo announcement how many people who are posting so negatively are being paid to do so?
I think it's just fanboys of other consoles looking for an excuse to get some jollies by dumping on Nintendo; I see a lot of names in this thread who rarely or never pop into the other Nintendo-related threads on this forum. I can only guess that they're bored because there isn't anything fun to play on their boxes of choice. :-)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably to do but cloud saves will still be the main reason. I'll be paying for peace of mind. It's not that big of a deal, but it less than ideal for someone not into online gaming.

For what it's worth I'm with you- I'm not a big fan of online gaming. I'll play the occasional game of Smash with a friend but outside of that I'm probably not gonna play anything online.

But cloud saves, the 20+ NES (and hopefully SNES+) games and the discounts will make it worth the $20 a year for me.

ampere

Jan 20, 2018
If they end up continuously adding games to this thing and it's like Netflix for old Nintendo games that would be awesome.

Sounds like the voice chat system is still pretty bad, wonder if they will ever learn.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
So, with 20 euros/year your account is still tied to one console? What happens if you lose it and buy a new one, do you lose everything?

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is amazing to me how many of Nintendo's design and feature decisions for their systems, especially the Switch, are based around a total lack of confidence in their ability to properly protect the hardware/software itself as well as its users.

The Switch doesn't have a real web browser because they're afraid somebody could exploit it to gain root on the system and start homebrew/piracy. They never support voice chat, cross game messaging, or other basic features that were introduced on the OG XBox in 2002 because they are concerned about people preying on children. And they will only let you back up your saves to their cloud because they're afraid of people tampering with saves/game data, especially because all of their online offerings rely on peer-to-peer matchmaking and would quickly devolve into the equivalent of Halo 2 modded lobbies.

Nintendo needs to get better at modern technology and infrastructure so that they can implement these consumer-friendly features with confidence. Microsoft has been doing it for over fifteen years on XBox. Sony made a dramatic leap this generation from what I considered a weak imitation of XBL with the PSN last generation. Nintendo needs to do the same. The last generation that this online plan would've been acceptable was the Gamecube generation. It would've been lackluster during the Wii and Wii U generations, and it's lackluster now.

And if you're going to post another "Well voice chat is toxic, I don't use it so this good", please don't. I almost never use public voice chat on consoles - if I log into Destiny or Forza or Fortnite, I turn that stuff off. But when there is a game that can benefit from it (like Sea of Thieves), it is fantastic that it is there. Nintendo won't even offer the ability to have a party chat across games for what its worth.

Oct 30, 2017
People should be thankful for paid access to cloud saves, online gaming, and the chance to play Ice Climbers for the billionth time.

It's $20. A YEAR. That's like $1.20 a month. You can barely get a shitty cup of coffee for that. I'm not people should be "thankful", but the other extreme of "OMG SUCH A RIPOFF" is pretty insane and hilarious. So yeah, cloud saves, online gaming, 20 NES games with added online (with more being added), and other unannounced features/discounts is worth more than around $1 a month for most people.

Last edited:

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
Even if it's something that minor, remember you're paying $20 a year. So if you utilize these discounts enough (say for 4-5 games in a year) then it's very possible the service will pay for itself. It's such a small amount of money per month that the discounts need to make up for...

I think people are really overlooking these "special offers".
Eh, it's not about the money, 20€ is nothing i really don't care, it's the lack of features more than a decade old that upsets me.
Also it's not that we overlook them, it's that the description is so nebulous that is not worth thinking about it until we know more about what it actually means.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So, with 20 euros/year your account is still tied to one console? What happens if you lose it and buy a new one, do you lose everything?

With the Switch (and Wii U) your account has never been tied to one console. You can deauthorize your console and redownload everything (including saves now, with the sub) on a new console. The only big nagging issue is that you still (AFAIK) can't deauthorize the console through a website, just through the console itself, so you still have to call Nintendo to do that if your console is lost or stolen.