• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
And customer service will say "uh huh, thanks for the comment" and do nothing, because they don't have any way to make suggestions for upper management. They are there answer questions and deal with customer problems. And as I said, Project Rainfall was "an avalanche of dissatisfied calls", and that caused Nintendo to delay release of the games.
The point is to create a scenario where there is obvious overwhelming support for something from the consumers that cannot be ignored. If there are many calls coming in all about the same thing, that *will* get to people who have power, especially if it is large numbers they don't usually see.

I can't believe there are actually people arguing against voicing your opinion. When did that become a controversial idea, to politely state you don't like something? This is blowing my mind right now. That is a ridiculous level of treating a business like they are a friend or something when you try to put the brakes on polite criticism.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Oh God don't harrass customer service representatives about this. Just continue shitposting/shit tweeting/making memes that lampoon the situation.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is saying "be polite" exposing people to abuse? You're basically just saying never call them when you have a concern that isn't positive then.

You do know what happens when you just leave a number on the internet right? Say "be polite" but people making that phone call will be anything but polite, especially in a reactionary thread like this.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
No I meant, can you store games you bought on more than one console if you are part of the family plan? Like if I get the family plan and add my nephew, will he be able to download and play the digital games that are now on my Switch, on his Switch as well?
Oh, I think so. But that's my opinion, not verified information. Wait and see.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You do know what happens when you just leave a number on the internet right? Say "be polite" but people making that phone call will be anything but polite, especially in a reactionary thread like this.
No I don't believe it's a slippery slope, I believe the users here can be polite and voice their concern in a respectful manner by and large.

Oh God don't harrass customer service representatives about this. Just continue shitposting/shit tweeting/making memes that lampoon the situation.
Christ, I've said multiple times to be polite. I've said to say Thank you AND have a nice day.

I'm out, this is some unreal shit. It's no wonder nothing is going to change when a phone call from your couch is somehow a controversial move. Forget sending an email in that case, because they can just delete it, it'll never make it to anyone important. Might as well not complain on twitter, nobody can read all those tweets anyways.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So I am actually happy to be seeing cloud saves (even behind a paywall, eh, it is what it is, for now), but I admit I'm curious if they would be incompatible with a new Switch if my current one were to break, due to being encrypted to my current Switch's unique hardware code.

Hopefully there's a process done when backing up the cloud save on Nintendo's servers that allows them to be able to restore them to another Switch besides the one that uploaded them.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So I am actually happy to be seeing cloud saves (even behind a paywall, eh, it is what it is, for now), but I admit I'm curious if they would be incompatible with a new Switch if my current one were to break, due to being encrypted to my current Switch's unique hardware code.
It will definitely not, because they can store different hardware information on the servers. 2 Switches with different hardware configurations (different Tegra chipset revisions) will have access to different configurations on the server, and they will have the same functionalities.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Then what exactly would be the point of cloud saves, if that were the case? Isn't the idea to have backups in case your console is lost or broken?

what is the purpose of the friends list in the Switch? you can't message or chat with them??

You can see what games they're playing, join that game, then invite/join them there. It's dumb that this functionality isn't available through the system itself but it still does have a purpose.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
No I don't believe it's a slippery slope, I believe the users here can be polite and voice their concern in a respectful manner by and large.

Christ, I've said multiple times to be polite. I've said to say Thank you AND have a nice day.

I'm out, this is some unreal shit. It's no wonder nothing is going to change when a phone call from your couch is somehow a controversial move. Forget sending an email in that case, because they can just delete it, it'll never make it to anyone important. Might as well not complain on twitter, nobody can read all those tweets anyways.

Hey Red Mercury don't harrass people at work over stuff they have literally zero control over we have the internet now thank you

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Then what exactly would be the point of cloud saves, if that were the case? Isn't the idea to have backups in case your console is lost or broken?

I guess I got confused when I read the saves are encrypted by the unique hardware upon which they are created, and are not compatible on other devices besides the one that saved it (well, not compatible without being able to unencrypt it first). I just wasn't sure if that information to unencrypt it would be in Nintendo's server, or solely exist in the device itself.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I love how most news sites' (and investors') reactions are basically the polar opposite of the majority of people in this thread. Most people are treating the pricing and NES games as a pretty solid value.

I tend to agree too, I really don't care too much about online gaming but I like the idea of getting a bunch of NES (and maybe SNES+ eventually) games for less than $2 a month.
It would get me to try games I would never consider buying. It would even get me to replay games like SMB3 that I have no intention of ever buying again. It's worth it for me for that alone, so long as they add more titles quite regularly.

I'm just glad I will be finally able to back up my saves, though that should be free, as should playing online anyway in my opinion but here we are.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
It's just rebranded NES classic. They're only dropping the VC banner.
I understand that. I have zero interest in NES or SNES games and that seems like all were going to get for some time. I was more so in for GBA and beyond.

You are by far the smartest most reasonable person on this board.
Not sure if sarcasm lol but as I see it their are more classic games available for the Xbox One that I want to play than will be available on switch. I have my PS4 for all the modern stuff. With Switch I was expecting to grab a few first party games and then have GBA, GameCube, etc to jump into. Clearly that isn't happening right now. I'm sure I'll get another one down the line. But just doesn't seem like the console for me, with the lack of games I'm interested in, and the timeline I expect to see those games actually release.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds pretty terrible. Just NES games is eye-rolling in the extreme in particular. Most of those have aged so badly. Why not even a handful of SNES games too ffs?

Can't see myself subscribing to this when I get a Switch.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Nobody gives a shit about the price. It isn't suddenly good because it's cheap.
The price is part of the conversation, though. If Nintendo had announced the online service had everything everyone wanted for $500 per year, people would not dismiss it by saying "Nobody gives a shit about the price."

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to pay for online for a matter of principles.
But $20 is less than a small stop at my local supermarket, I don't mind the price.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Guess they read the thread about the lack of cloud saves lol. I still think paying for online on a console is a dumb practice.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The price is part of the conversation, though. If Nintendo had announced the online service had everything everyone wanted for $500 per year, people would not dismiss it by saying "Nobody gives a shit about the price."
Sure, because the price would have been an issue. As is, the price isn't an issue and going "yeah but it's cheap" is a non-argument you are using to try and wave away people's legitimate complaints.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I got confused when I read the saves are encrypted by the unique hardware upon which they are created, and are not compatible on other devices besides the one that saved it (well, not compatible without being able to unencrypt it first). I just wasn't sure if that information to unencrypt it would be in Nintendo's server, or solely exist in the device itself.

Oh maybe I missed that discussion about them being encrypted. Where was that?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently there's going to be 'Member Only Exclusive Offers'? I'm in for that.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that. I have zero interest in NES or SNES games and that seems like all were going to get for some time. I was more so in for GBA and beyond.

Not sure if sarcasm lol but as I see it their are more classic games available for the Xbox One that I want to play than will be available on switch. I have my PS4 for all the modern stuff. With Switch I was expecting to grab a few first party games and then have GBA, GameCube, etc to jump into. Clearly that isn't happening right now. I'm sure I'll get another one down the line. But just doesn't seem like the console for me, with the lack of games I'm interested in, and the timeline I expect to see those games actually release.
I'm 100% serious. I implied this in another thread and someone just said, "Games are ultimate deciding factor" Personally if a console had missing features I really need I would not be getting it. Games or not. Making a decision based on my pockets.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Sure, because the price would have been an issue. As is, the price isn't an issue and going "yeah but it's cheap" is a non-argument you are using to try and wave away people's legitimate complaints.
Might be my day job rubbing off on me; I have no sympathy for whiny clients who want every feature under the sun but can't be arsed to pay for them.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
Since its had time to digest these are my thoughts.

1. I'm excited for the potential of the subscription service. Of the announced games I'm only excited about Dr. Mario and and Ice Climbers. But the possibility of games like Muramaso Castle, mark this exciting to me. Let alone the possibility of SNES or Gameboy games down the rosd.
  2. I'm concerned that they may not release as many retro games with this service.
  3. The pricetag is fair. At last in terms of relative cost. 20.00 is not bad. May look at the family plan with friends however.
  4. While family plan sounds nice we need moredetails. Mainly to see if Nintendo puts any restrictions on it. As is, I like the model.
  5. The voice chat app needs to be replaced or improved. This is probably self explanatory but it's the most disappointing part of the announcement.
  6. I'm going to wait until later this year to judge the service. I'm hopeful games like Smash will play online better in the future
Cloud saves weren't a big dealto me, but I am happy that people got them.
On the whole I'm satisfied with the announcement.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not excited, but I'm not upset. $20/mo, and cheaper if you get in on the many discounted eShop card deals throughout the year. That's less than $2/mo., which is almost nothing.

Hopefully local save handling is something that we get at some point in the future, and that should be free. Same with the games. NES at first, hopefully other systems join the fray later. I'd also like a simple way to extract image files from my SD card. Posting directly from the Switch is cumbersome, you can only post one at a time... otherwise, I'm doing a silly process of going through my image library and capturing screenshots through my HD60. LOL 60fps video capture for clips would be nice too, but I'm getting way off-topic here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Might be my day job rubbing off on me; I have no sympathy for whiny clients who want every feature under the sun but can't be arsed to pay for them.
How is that relevant to this conversation at all?
Nintendo aren't offering the bare minimum features expected from an online system on a console.
That's not even a 2018 standard, that's a "The fucking PSP did better than this" standard.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
180px-Golden_Lakitu_Artwork_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros._2.png

This is Nintendo come Sept. Damn.. tbh game saves are pretty standard and integral to a game. Backing up that save is vital. Who would have thought Lakitu would turn out to be a real bastard... :(

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing my Switch online for months, the service is barely passable but eh it's free and portable.

Now having to $20 for that same service? Hell no.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I think the price is fair enough for this to do well. I Just hope they really went back to the drawing board with the feature set of the phone app. If they can integrate party chat, text messages, notifications, communities, etc into it, most people of the people who actually enjoy playing the switch online will appreciate the connectivity. Also, Nintendo should create a web version of the Nintendo online app as well. I think Nintendo should take Discord up on their offer to help them out and let them completely revamp their phone app.