• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the completely boneheaded decision to use Google servers for their barebones online service, nobody in China can access Switch online. With no VPN client on the switch itself, you need to jump through lengthy and expensive hoops just to be able to play the online games we've been playing for over a year now...

This is kinda fucked up. What the hell prompted this decision as Wii U, 3DS and the old Switch online worked just fine in China.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I was in China I'd already be well equated as to how to configure a permanent VPN on my router.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe instead of blaming the service provider you should blame the authoritarian government.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because of the completely boneheaded decision to use Google servers for their barebones online service, nobody in China can access Switch online. With no VPN client on the switch itself, you need to jump through lengthy and expensive hoops just to be able to play the online games we've been playing for over a year now...

This is kinda fucked up. What the hell prompted this decision as Wii U, 3DS and the old Switch online worked just fine in China.

Wait. Is the Switch even officially sold in China?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't think Nintendo sells the Switch in China. Aren't NIntendo games on some other device in China?

Banning makes sense I guess? That and having an online service in a country that wants to moderate everything, I can see clashing of ideas and authority. I don't know the reason but I assume it's a fair one.

edit: Oops. Small mistake

Last edited:

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, this is not Nintendo's fault. And them using Google's servers is actually good, I didn't know they did.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the Switch isn't officially being sold there this isn't really their fault.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
imagine if everything on the internet banned China. One can hope. China needs the internet more than the internet needs China.

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
Since the very first Nintendo WFC, Nintendo online games have worked in China, but now suddenly I can't even play the games I bought. I was literally just playing MK8 a couple days before the service became paid. And what do I get out of it lol? They couldn't use their own servers anymore after 14 years?

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Since the very first Nintendo WFC, Nintendo online games have worked in China, but now suddenly I can't even play the games I bought. I was literally just playing MK8 a couple days before the service became paid. And what do I get out of it lol? They couldn't use their own servers anymore after 14 years?

So shouldn't you be blaming your government over this?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That really isn't Nintendo fault here considering what the government at China did to Google banning it. It's not wrong at all for Nintendo to use this system if they're using.

jedmund

Oct 27, 2017

Hosting your own servers is cumbersome and inefficient when you can pay other companies to do it for you. This is China's fault, not Nintendo's. You're just a victim of modern technology.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA

This statement makes no sense. Why is it Nintendo's fault? China's government has extreme censorship issues when it comes to their internet. Just because the service gets blocked in ONE country that means it's a boneheaded decision? C'mon dude.

By the way nice title, Nintendo is the one that blocked people in china, definitely not the government.

Nov 23, 2017
Why is it Nintendos fault they partnered with someone that actually has the resources and know how to benefit them? The only other option, MS, competes with them directly.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Few companies use their own servers.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So, China banned Nintendo Online because Nintendo uses Google servers.

Just totalitarians being totalitarians.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Perhaps you should be blaming the country that has banned 95% of the internet?

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is gonna have to work around china's internet restrictions, starting with a hard censor on all wiinnie the pooh content

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't, but China is a market, so they gotta do something about this somehow or losing customers in China of all places.

If it's true that they're not even being sold there officially, then I'd think that they have other steps along the way to securing their place in the Chinese market.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
So, China banned Nintendo Online because Nintendo uses Google servers.

Just totalitarians being totalitarians.
Technically incorrect. China banned Google since Google's birth, and whoever joins their service will know that their services won't work in China. Essentially, this is a downside of using Google servers if your audience is in China.