• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This just in: NES controllers that Nintendo sell on their Online service page can be used with other games, and not only with NSO - NES as Nintendo previously said.

Refer to Gamexplain's video:

He uses them for Smash at the 8:07 mark. In fact, both buttons are the top are Screenshot and Home buttons, not SL and SR. They even register inputs when connected to the Switch tablet (in handheld mode), which is not ideal but possible.

Previously people thought these were a bad deal because they only worked with NSO - NES, but now we know this is not the case. Does $30 for a wireless NES controller that works with all games seem like a good deal to you? Discuss.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Does anyone know if they work for the Wii Virtual Console? I've been planning to get one

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I mean... there's still not nearly enough buttons for it to really work with most games so it doesn't matter. It's just a waste of money no matter how you look at it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be unoptimal for practically 80% of games on Switch but hey thats cool

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It would be kinda interesting for tate shooters I guess. Not many games though I see getting by with just two buttons.

But yay @ no restrictions for restrictions sake I guess.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
All my currently-owned modern controllers are comfier and have more buttons/features so I'm not really interested in reliving this part of my past.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Dreamcast Fishing Controller works with all Dreamcast games!*

The Dance Dance Revolution floor mat works with all games!*

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
By the way, this is just talking about the fact that you CAN use them on other games. Previously it was thought that they wouldn't register inputs on anything other than NSO - NES. If a game only needs two buttons then yes they'll work, if not then they won't work.

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, that's a bit better then. Might be worth getting in that case. Would be nice for games like Shovel Knight and Bloodstained COTM!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Might've been worth, if I hadn't just gotten that 8bitdo adapter for $20 that lets me use my NES, SNES, and Wii Classic Controllers.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
They are cool for those that want them for nostalgic reasons but they are still a sub optimal way of playing just about any game.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think you'll get stuck the moment you try to catch anything since there's no gyros.
With any luck, the game is poorly coded and the game is just expecting gyro input and since it doesn't receive any just assumes that the controller is not moving.
Hopefully you can complete the catch by just pressing A.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, making a hardware profile just for nes games instead of just reusing what was alreadly available didn't sounded like a nintendo thing to do. I guess they also didn't want to pressure third to support yet another controller. Cool that at least playing a plattaform/fitghing game has at least one official decent alternative now. Now the problem for me is just the fact that the sale of those thing are attached to nintendo online subscription, but nitnendo is not officially in my country so back to the drawing board...

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
Mini rant that may have already been covered... But I expected to pay a lot less than £49.99 given my early support for an ultimately disappointing service to date. Then postage at £6.82 the only option for postage, called the "best way".

I love my Switch, but Nintendo don't half test my patience sometimes.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I can take the rail off the top and use it on my NES Classic with a dongle I'll consider it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Them saying they only work with the NES games was probably just to cover their asses in case someone called their support team and complained that they couldn't play BotW or Doom with an official Nintendo controller.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Them saying they only work with the NES games was probably just to cover their asses in case someone called their support team and complained that they couldn't play BotW or Doom with an official Nintendo controller.
This, pretty much.

They used similar wording in regards to the Switch GC controller adapter, saying it would only work with Smash, despite it (and the Wii U GC adapter as well) working in nearly every game with pro controller support.

Jan 2, 2018

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Nope, you can't even move.

Super Mario Odyssey - Nope, you can't even move.

Kirby Star Allies - Works well, but not perfectly. You can't throw hearts to befriend enemies.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Nope, you can't grab or roll.

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee/Pikachu! - Nope, no gyro or motion controls.

Undertale - Works well, but you can't access the menu.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Works well! You just can't look behind you.

Oct 28, 2017
I am so excited to get these now to use with the Mega Man collection and the snk collection!

So glad I blindly ordered them when I could lol.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
I bet Puyo Puyo Tetris would work well with these controllers! More simple games with less buttons probably work fine like indie games. Someone should try Celeste too!

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they had been bluetooth/usb with no switch gimmick for charging I would've been all over them.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will I be able to buy these controllers years from now if I want to or are they a limited time thing, has Nintendo said either way?