• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L Corleone

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a great feature, it allows us to record a new play time length and even compare it to the one we achieved on the previous year.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can't wait to see their full revealed online proposal. They even manage to fuck up things that they were already doing well in the past so I can't wait for more stuff like their voice chat solution. At this point I have no expectations, only morbid curiosity.

Oct 28, 2017
Bronx, NY
I'm pretty confident that the playtime is not getting reset, but there is a bug with the "First played n days ago" message, and I think the first symptoms happened a few months ago.
On new year's day (2018-01-01), people stopped getting messages saying "First played n days ago" for games that they have first played in the previous year, for example on 12/31.
I think the message fails to account for the year, and because 1/1 < 12/31, the message had disappeared.
Now, the same bug manifests in reverse: the message shouldn't be displayed, but it does, because 3/3 >= 3/3.
After 10 days, the display will likely return to normal.

tldr, this is likely an easily fixed error and definitely not intended behavior, or one of Nintendo's "baffling decisions"
(sorry if this explanation has already been brought up)

Pretty much this.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a Switch, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize for resetting the clock or you can kiss your business goodbye.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a simple display bug on the page.

I'd presume that all the Switch UI pages are HTML based, and in this case the JS library they used for date handling (eg moment.js) just wasn't being given the year input.

So don't panic yet. I've had plenty of bugs in stuff I've worked on that looked like horrendous losses of data but were little more than display glitches. It's rare to automatically wipe out stuff on a DB level - you typically only do that for stuff that's meant to be temporary or has some sort of retention policy decided upon with a customer.

MortIIs

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is not related to one year after you start playing the game. My TLoZ total time reseted once it went out of my 20 last played games.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I manually changed the date to 10 days into the future but it didn't change the message.

Also just to be clear, I got my Switch exactly at midnight and started playing BotW soon after.
The Switch's activity tracker works off of the timer on your save file, changing the date wouldn't have any effect on it whatsoever (just like you can't force the Activity Log to display your play time by setting a date ten days into the future).

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Chances are this is just a line of badly written code that's going to fix itself after 10 days.

The Switch isn't supposed to retrieve your playtime until 10 days have passed since the first time you played a game. The code for that was probably badly written and only checks for date and month, but not year.

Once 10 days have passed, it'll likely retrieve the proper playtime again.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
lol at people calling this a "baffling decision" when it's obviously just a (really stupid) oversight.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo quality™

That's some pretty poor programming, and a huge QA oversight.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Damn it, I love logging software for games. The 3DS had it the best. I appreciated the Switch's efforts but if everything is getting erased then why even have it?!

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
tenor.gif

Come on Nintendo

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a good thing for me. My brother has been giving me a hard time for the amount of time I've put into botw. Now he can finally shut up. Thanks nintendo!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not like i'll change anything in somebody's life.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But why is it so important?
I don't care for playtime but come on, this is amateur hour, Nintendo deserves to be laughed at .

They do stuff like this all the time, no vc , bare OS, no apps. There is no excuse, they have the means to get this stuff right and yet they don't but you have people defending their lazy choices.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao, they really resetting the clock

This is probably just a bug that'll be patched out tbh. Don't know why people are pulling the "come on Nintendo." This definitely wasn't intentional

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's the only meta data we have on our Switch for our games and some people love stats.

I don't care for playtime but come on, this is amateur hour, Nintendo deserves to be laughed at .

They do stuff like this all the time, no vc , bare OS, no apps. There is no excuse, they have the means to get this stuff right and yet they don't but you have people defending their lazy choices.

Even regular people love to track their stats. Like in games like COD or Fortnite BR. My co-workers like to know their KD or how many times they win or get to a certain place.

I like data and stats too, but I don't think this is something that warrants an outrage.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one piece of metadata I want to see on profiles is % of time played Docked and % of time playing on Portable.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's quickly assemble a list of excuses for this stupidity. I'll go first.

"The Switch is still in it's soft launch phase, and that will end when the online services launches".

Status
Not open for further replies.