• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Between this and the switch icon thread with a bunch of people thread whining "who cares what the icon looks like, you don't play icons!"

It's almost like you can't have a negative switch thread on this site

I'm not saying everyone has to care at all

But minus "Nintendo sucks" posts, I don't see the hyperbole

I literally chose time with my 3ds over vita strictly for the activity log and the fact my time would be recorded

It's a feature I wish all consoles had, but I hold Nintendo to a higher standard since they have done it well in the past

It's better it's just a temporary glitch but still, I check my profile every time I boot the switch up, so even just 10 days is super annoying

Glad they are looking into a fix

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Between this and the switch icon thread with a bunch of people thread whining "who cares what the icon looks like, you don't play icons!"

I literally chose time with my 3ds over vita strictly for the activity log and the fact my time would be recorded

It's a feature I wish all consoles had, but I hold Nintendo to a higher standard since they have done it well in the past

It's better it's just a temporary glitch but still, I check my profile every time I boot the switch up, so even just 10 days is super annoying

Things we're not allowed to care about:
- icons
- activity log
- Mii's
- internet browser
- media apps
- pricing of re-releases
- News feature

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Things we're not allowed to care abou
- icons
- activity log
- Mii's
- internet browser
- media apps
- pricing of re-releases
- News feature

I think it's more that it seems people will always cry and complain, no matter how minor issues are. It seems people focus more on negative than positive, and it can be exhausting to cut through when you just want to have enjoyable discussion.

When you have people proclaiming they won't play games anymore because of an activity log, it makes you wonder how far they got dropped on their head. The spirit of games shouldn't be achievements, loot boxes, dlc, media apps, browsers, activity logs, etc. Now, is it ok to want more and to want things done better? Sure, but when you take it so far as to basically throw a fit over it, it just comes off as beyond petty.

I want Netflix on Switch just so I don't have to go over to PS4 to turn it on, but I can't call it a big problem in my life, but i'm glad some people have such charmed lives that even an activity log is enough to ruin their day. The Switch has plenty of issues that need to be addressed, but if the things its lacking in are enough to make you not play games, it makes me question if you should even really be involved in the hobby. Those people probably spend more time talking about them then actually playing these days i'd wager.

Say it out loud, there were posters who stated they won't start a game because they don't like the Icon, even though they bought it already. If that isn't a stupid sentiment I don't know what is. If people want to make a topic about shitty icons they should and it can be a productive discussion, but the extremes some people go, it can't be helped to think ill of them.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe spend your time in topics you care about then?

I don't care about trophies but if there was a glitch where trophies reset and I went into the topic saying "whatever care about more important things " would it go over as well?
I care to some degree and would like to get information out of the topic but it's full of people acting like lunatics and completely overblowing the situation. It's a lot of nonsense to sift through if you want to find out how Nintendo is dealing with the issue (and what the issue actually is since this topic is all over the place on that front as well).

So yeah, the hot takes and hyperbole should be criticized because it's pretty ridiculous.

But time played isn't actually deleted, it's just hidden from view because the Switch thinks you have been playing the game for fewer than ten days. That's obvious because games you play particularly long are coloured differently.

I thought reviews required a certain amount of days played before they can be submitted. If so, it makes sense that the review system was taken offline.

Last edited:

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
im still amazed by this thread, a minor bug, that i know can annoy some people, got this overreaction and knee jerks, yes overreaction. Nobody is downplaying it, at least nobody with arguments are doing it.
But some of you still keep going and going, 13 pages for god's sake

Also have in mind if the switch doesnt have a activity log like 3ds/wii u its because nintendo probably saw the amount of people using it its so worthless than wasting resources to do it?

Anyway still baffles me this minor bug has more responses than a critical bug in other console that can show your real name to people no authorized :/

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nobody is downplaying it. We're just pointing how it was a overreaction which is what always happen when it comes to such things and the hyperbole that yes, it had a bunch in this thread for a thing that it was obviously a bug.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
im still amazed by this thread, a minor bug, that i know can annoy some people, got this overreaction and knee jerks, yes overreaction. Nobody is downplaying it, at least nobody with arguments are doing it.
But some of you still keep going and going, 13 pages for god's sake

Also have in mind if the switch doesnt have a activity log like 3ds/wii u its because nintendo probably saw the amount of people using it its so worthless than wasting resources to do it?

Anyway still baffles me this minor bug has more responses than a critical bug in other console that can show your real name to people no authorized :/

I think this has allowed people to vent the general frustration with what Nintendo has provided for an activity log on the Switch. As you can see many just want something better. Most understand this was a bug and thats not really the entire point of most of the frustration. It is the fact that most that do care about stats want a 3DS style activity log. So I think this bug just created an avenue to vent on the subject.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
DXZYwiCVQAAkDjK.jpg

Good news! (In case no one else has reported this yet.) When I took this same screenshot yesterday, it displayed my Breath of the Wild status as "First played 10 days ago" – but now that it's Day 11 by the Switch's reckoning, my accurate playtime has been restored. Hurrah and hooray! It wasn't deleted!

So this is a weird internal programming oddity that is going to make your total playtime in games disappear from your Profile for exactly 10 days, beginning on the one-year anniversary of the date when you first played each game. Then, on Day 11, it'll go back to normal. It's still something that needs to be fixed, but not nearly as catastrophic as some were fearing.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
DXZYwiCVQAAkDjK.jpg

Good news! (In case no one else has reported this yet.) When I took this same screenshot yesterday, it displayed my Breath of the Wild status as "First played 10 days ago" – but now that it's Day 11 by the Switch's reckoning, my accurate playtime has been restored. Hurrah and hooray! It wasn't deleted!

So this is a weird internal programming oddity that is going to make your total playtime in games disappear from your Profile for exactly 10 days, beginning on the one-year anniversary of the date when you first played each game. Then, on Day 11, it'll go back to normal. It's still something that needs to be fixed, but not nearly as catastrophic as some were fearing.
Good to see. It's an annoyance, but at least it means no permanent loss of data.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DXZYwiCVQAAkDjK.jpg

Great, so all those people jumping the gun are surely going to admit they were wrong and over reacted over a tiny bug?

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DXZYwiCVQAAkDjK.jpg

Ya so basically a time-stamp bug in their check on the Last Played <10 Days code.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DXZYwiCVQAAkDjK.jpg

Don't be silly, no one wanted to report good news.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is downplaying it. We're just pointing how it was a overreaction which is what always happen when it comes to such things and the hyperbole that yes, it had a bunch in this thread for a thing that it was obviously a bug.

There were quite a few posters in this very thread saying "why do people care" and accusing people of being console warriors over this. So yes, there were people downplaying it.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018

The 3DS activity log is nicely done and I was quite disappointed that Nintendo didn't replicate it for the Wii U or Switch. Here's hoping Nintendo not only fixes this, but also uodates it to be similar to the 3DS one (or even better!).

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
There were quite a few posters in this very thread saying "why do people care" and accusing people of being console warriors over this. So yes, there were people downplaying it.
To be fair the reactions are way overboard. This system likely has a 5 year lifespan...to get so upset over the fact that within that time frame, for maybe a week or two, a few of your launch games wont show the proper play time, is kind of crazy. Those complaints should be downplayed.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Damn man... I don't feel like my post equates to a conspiracy theory about Nintendo "screwing people over".

I merely meant to say that I feel like Nintendo probably started seeing this issue a few days to a week ago and decided to pull that review feature as a result. Nothing malicious there, it just makes more sense than their initial response to pulling reviews.
Fair enough there must have been some kind of 'review' I don't know about? I assumed you meant game reviews being pulled by request from review websites?

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't checked my Switch to see if this is the case with mine but it seems like a pretty big oversight. The only one I'm worried about losing is Xenoblade 2 as my in game save timer got all messed up during that playthrough so it was the only thing that I had to to off of.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Haven't checked my Switch to see if this is the case with mine but it seems like a pretty big oversight. The only one I'm worried about losing is Xenoblade 2 as my in game save timer got all messed up during that playthrough so it was the only thing that I had to to off of.

if you check a couple of posts earlier, you will notices its only a display bug, the info its still there, and after 10+ days will show the data correctly

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

I think the worst part was the thread title and the OP represented it as if it was Nintendo's choice and design.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Um no I didn't. I was simply presenting the facts as I saw them at the time. Mods have since amended the post to clarify the situation.

I don't know why this thread hasn't been locked yet tbh

To be fair, your first title made it seems like this was by design. That's why the thread blew up so much and there was so much confusion and outrage. It was never called a bug or anything. It was also confusing in whether it reset the data. Now we can see it's just a display bugs The title edits did help, though.

You can also report your post, or pm a mod, and ask for it to be locked or update the title.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nov 3, 2017
To be fair, your first title made it seems like this was by design. That's why the thread blew up so much and there was so much confusion and outrage. It was never called a bug or anything. It was also confusing in whether it reset the data. Now we can see it's just a display bugs The title edits did help, though.

You can also report your post, or pm a mod, and ask for it to be locked or update the title.

Again, at the time it was unclear if the data was being erased or displayed improperly. I would appreciate not being passive-aggressively antagonised especially when people commented with their hot takes even after the edits. I can't control how people reply to threads.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Nintendo have acknowledged the problem and are working on fixing it, nothing else to discuss here.

Status
Not open for further replies.