• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
(Mods you can add OS to the thread title as well?)

So after a week of playing on my new Switch, I see a few things that Nintendo can do to make this console/handheld the best ever gaming experience for the user. I know alot of you will argue that the Switch is a game console first, not an entertainment console (see Xbox One). I AGREE 100%, if I want you tube, Netflix, Vudu...etc, you can buy another device. If your willing to spend $300+ on a handheld gaming console, then obviously, you can *afford* to get a cheap tablet, Chromcast/ROKU/Apple TV or download these apps on your smart phone....etc for all of these extra entertainment features. This is not what this thread is about. This is about stuff that is patchable and common sense that Nintendo needs to have on this console for ease of the user. if I am wrong and the features are already in but I missed them, please let me know (educate me).

Top Complaints:

Web Browser - I think Nintendo could have easily put this in, but I believe this was because of security reasons. But still, this is a staple application which should have been at launch, even if it's a barebone version. Hopefully they will patch this in.

Always online Network connection - I find it ridiculous that I have to keep going into setup just to reconnect back to the internet on my WIFI every time I get it out of sleep mode. This should have been auto added at launch.

Friends list on the main screen - I need this like yesterday. I need one that is simple to use like Playstation and Xbox. I want to easily see who is playing what and can I join them.

Trophy List - I need this just for bragging rights. I know this will be added soon, so I can wait.

Bluetooth Headset - I already made a thread about this, but this should be an option to listen wireless from my headset while the Joy-cons are attached to the Switch.

Download Updates - I noticed that every time I put in a game, it tells me that the game needs to download updates, but it says that it's paused. If there is no update Nintendo, I should not see this option pop up every single time. I always sit there for two minutes just waiting for the update for all of my games and nothing comes :(

Custom Backgrounds - I want this bad. I want to customize my Switch. I know it's coming but I'm Thirsty.

Not complaints, but hopefully will release in near future:

4K mode - Not sure if the Nvidia can help with this, but If Nintendo can release an add-on dock to push my games to 4k mode, I would be Ecstatic.

Remote Play mode for Wii U to Switch - I have 20+ games that I would like to stream over my switch. Would love that option, but I know it will never happen...(keep the dream alive)

Your thoughts...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Always online Network connection - I find it ridiculous that I have to keep going into setup just to reconnect back to the internet on my WIFI every time I get it out of sleep mode. This should have been auto added at launch.
It'll automatically connect. Just takes a bit.

If you press + on a game it'll give you some options. You can check if the game has an update. I believe there's an option to enable auto updates. Will work for games you've played recently

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It automaticity connects for me. Just takes a little while for me since my router is pretty far.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Most of your points doent have anything to do with the user interface but are just OS features you are wishing for.
There is no BT headset support on PS4/Switch/Xbox ....how is that an "issue" if it never was promised or supported in the first place ?

Als 4K Mode...Remote Play from WiiU ? Erm okay.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
It'll automatically connect. Just takes a bit.

If you press + on a game it'll give you some options. You can check if the game has an update. I believe there's an option to enable auto updates. Will work for games you've played recently

Yea, I saw that but I says "Downloading", but it's been downloading for a week now and I've see no progress. Something is wrong there...could my Switch be bad?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
lol why do you think trophies will be added soon? i really doubt that dude

Yea, I saw that but I says "Downloading", but it's been downloading for a week now and I've see no progress. Something is wrong there...could my Switch be bad?

uhhh... maybe there was a problem with the download? delete it and start again?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Web Browser - I think Nintendo could have easily put this in, but I believe this was because of security reasons. But still, this is a staple application which should have been at launch, even if it's a barebone version. Hopefully they will patch this in.
Just gimme my streaming and social media apps

But it is...?

Download Updates - I noticed that every time I put in a game, it tells me that the game needs to download updates, but it says that it's paused. If there is no update Nintendo, I should not see this option pop up every single time. I always sit there for two minutes just waiting for the update for all of my games and nothing comes :(
Again, it does. Even in Sleep Mode. It pings every once in a while and checks for updates

Trophy List - I need this just for bragging rights. I know this will be added soon, so I can wait.
Just me but, nah. If a game is compelling enough I plaxed it. Not because of Elo

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
Most of your points doent have anything to do with the user interface but are just OS features you are wishing for.
There is no BT headset support on PS4/Switch/Xbox ....how is that an "issue" if it never was promised or supported in the first place ?

Yeah that dream is crushed since Nintendo is making Wii U ports

What a joke

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017

I realize I'm apparently crazy, but I honestly hope Nintendo never does achievements as a requirement for games. If games want their own trophy nonsense I have no problem with it. But I have an unhealthy compulsion with getting the damn things on PS4, to the point where I will play games ways I don't enjoy just to get them, and I will sour me on the whole game. If that gets surfaced on the main UI, next to my silly little character portrait, I'm doomed.

ScottyJayMan

Nov 1, 2017
Why is everyone wanting a web browser for the Switch? I'm mean I'm posting this from the device I use 99% of the time for web browsing, my phone.

I would love to see an update that allows you to upload pics and videos straight to your smartphone so you can easily edit on a better device and upload from them.

Drewboy64

Oct 25, 2017
The console automatically connects when it comes out of sleep mode. Should also automatically download updates. Just today my console told me it updated Splatoon 2. Headsets with USB dongle work if you have one of those. The one I use with my PS4 work just fine for when I'm playing docked.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I have no issue with the internet going out of sleep mode. Are you sure it isn't your wi-fi?

On your other points, the system is minimalistic by design. It is quicker for me to use my phone to look something up. Achievements are in a few games but I have only ever 100%-D two games for achievements, Sam and Max season one and Fallout 3.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Why is everyone wanting a web browser for the Switch? I'm mean I'm posting this from the device I use 99% of the time for web browsing, my phone.

I would love to see an update that allows you to upload pics and videos straight to your smartphone so you can easily edit on a better device and upload from them.
For me the web browser on Wii U allowed me to upload uncompressed. Thats why I want it on Switch. Plenty of people use console browsers and the Wii U's was the best.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017

It is an issue when every other current Gaming device outside of Nintendo has this feature and the switch doesn't has it. I remember the mass complaints about the PS4 not having alot of OS/UI options that the Xbox had and Sony didn't, but they had to listen to it's user base and add this support. Just because it's not there, doesn't mean that it isn't an issue.

I do own a 4k TV and would like to see Nintendo support 4K mode for the Switch in docked mode. Thus I stated that it is not a complaint, but hopefully a feature to add in the future. Remote Play is on PS4 and PS3 via the PS Vita, which I used to use quite a bit on my travels. Whats wrong with having such a cool feature for the Switch as well?

Jan 2, 2018
I don't own a switch,but to my understanding it doesn't support folders ATM,and with the amount of quality titles already available today+2018,it might be a good time to implement the feature.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
From everything you listed on your post (excluding the ones that are already implemented like downloads), customizable backgrounds is probably the only one that will ever happen.

buxtoc

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Not sure what is going on, but I don't experience the network and download problems you have listed.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is an issue when every other current Gaming device outside of Nintendo has this feature and the switch doesn't has it. I remember the mass complaints about the PS4 not having alot of OS/UI options that the Xbox had and Sony didn't, but they had to listen to it's user base and add this support. Just because it's not there, doesn't mean that it isn't an issue.

I do own a 4k TV and would like to see Nintendo support 4K mode for the Switch in docked mode. Thus I stated that it is not a complaint, but hopefully a feature to add in the future. Remote Play is on PS4 and PS3 via the PS Vita, which I used to use quite a bit on my travels. Whats wrong with having such a cool feature for the Switch as well?
Bluetooth functionality is on no console right now. All have to use dongles.

Wii U streaming would be interesting but I'm unsure if it is possible considering the architecture difference. In saying that it is being powered by the same hardware as NVIDIA's Shield so potential might be there.

Browser, eh. Honestly, Nintendo could just add the option for uncompressed uploading and that's fixed most issues people have without comprising security of the device. I doubt browsers on other consoles are as used, hell I barely touch my PS4 one because it is absolutely dog shit.

Also your WiFi sounds busted. Delete the network from your switch and add it back, then force updates on your software to make sure it's downloading properly as it sounds like it can't connect.

ScottyJayMan

Nov 1, 2017
For me the web browser on Wii U allowed me to upload uncompressed. Thats why I want it on Switch. Plenty of people use console browsers and the Wii U's was the best.

That's why I would love for the Switch to be able to upload uncompressed to to smartphone, I used to do that with my Wii U as well using USB pro on my phone. But that doesn't need a a dedicated web browser to do that, just an option in the OS.

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts? Nintendo have made this bewitching portable console, stuffed with amazing games, and I think it's better to focus on what it does rather than what it doesn't.

Especially if the OP questions things like always on WiFi, that actually do exist, it feels like nit picking.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that dream is crushed since Nintendo is making Wii U ports

What a joke

So here is my problem. I have to wait for all of these ports to come out...hopefully all of them come out that I own on the Wii U. Is the games I want to play on my Wii U out now? NO...so now I have to run back to my WII U. Wait, I'm in hotel/airport...etc, i'll have to wait until i get home to play.

(personal opinion)
2nd I already invested a fortune on buying these games already on the Wii U. Now I have to buy them again in the next generation, the same exact game again? In my point of view, I think that's crazy. Some people don't mind that, but I am not a fan of buying the same exact game for another console that I own already. So Remote Console would be great for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I'd feel much more compelled to ask for a browser if Nintendo re-implements an option for pointer controls for their UI, or at least some better way of inputting text than a controller (not counting the touch screen which, while great, isn't available in docked mode). No way in hell am I gonna try to browse the web if inputting a URL is so tedious.

I would like to be able to upload my screens and vids to more platforms, though. Don't care for using Facebook or Twitter for that stuff.

As for remote play, although that's not a UI thing at all - the Wii U>Gamepad streaming tech was pretty beast, and I do hope Nintendo finds a way to implement that hardware back into the Switch somehow. I was banking on them using it as a basis for the console but they went the opposite direction with it, for understandable reasons.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
These are feature requests, not UI issues. (Also, streaming from Wii U to Switch? lol)

My only real concern about the lack of browser is that I haven't been able to connect to some gated WiFi networks.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Source?
Are you sure you are not mixing up with MyNintendo reward missions?
https://my.nintendo.com/missions?lang=en-US
Those were assimilated to achievements by people misunderstanding, as those are rewards for completing certain tasks in certain games. Like, completing 50 campers requests in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp or finish the game in Super Mario Run would give you some rewards points.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think I've ever used a web browser on my Xbox, PS4, Wii U or 3DS for over 5 minutes lol.

I don't have the Wifi issue either you have.

But there is a full blown online system coming this year, so who knows maybe some of your wish list will be covered.

But I prefer the speed of the switch over any additional features that could compromise that.

I would like achievement's that's my only wish really

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to be able to upload my screens and vids to more platforms, though. Don't care for using Facebook or Twitter for that stuff.
The workaround for this is to put your micro SD card into a computer and copy the files.

Way less compression (video files are actually HD) but of course, far less convenient.

Deleted member 21094

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no clue what ur on about some of this stuff

Always on wifi has been there day 1 and update download has never had issues for me, and it doesn't pop up all the time.

We will most likely get themes down the line for sure, trophies are a maybe but I personally don't care for it. 4K support doesn't sound very probable at all, I'm sure someone looked at the capabilities of a possible dock upgrade and who knows if just using the USB type c is enough to support some external graphics component

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Bluetooth functionality is on no console right now. All have to use dongles.

Wii U streaming would be interesting but I'm unsure if it is possible considering the architecture difference. In saying that it is being powered by the same hardware as NVIDIA's Shield so potential might be there.

Browser, eh. Honestly, Nintendo could just add the option for uncompressed uploading and that's fixed most issues people have without comprising security of the device. I doubt browsers on other consoles are as used, hell I barely touch my PS4 one because it is absolutely dog shit.

Also your WiFi sounds busted. Delete the network from your switch and add it back, then force updates on your software to make sure it's downloading properly as it sounds like it can't connect.

Alright I admit the thread title was worded wrong (should have added OS features), my mistake. That's what i get for rushing to post.

Believe me, I was complaining hardcore about the consoles not adding it into this generation on the old forum. I hate having to buy a PS Gold headset when I have a nice headset already and taking away a needed USB port. But my thing is, since this is a handheld gaming machine (unlike the WII U/Xbox/PS4), if I am on the go, wouldn't something like Bluetooth headset features be a set standard for every portable handheld device. For a stationary console, it's a bit forgiving. For an handheld it needs to be standard. Even if Nintendo can offer only their proprietary wireless headsets for the switch only, at least it's an option rather than going out and using tricks to make it wireless.

I'm going to delete my Wifi from the switch and try it again. If that's the case, that changes alot of my OP.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
But my thing is, since this is a handheld gaming machine (unlike the WII U/Xbox/PS4), if I am on the go, wouldn't something like Bluetooth headset features be a set standard for every portable handheld device. For a stationary console, it's a bit forgiving. For an handheld it needs to be standard
I'm not exactly following your logic. Why does handheld functionality necessitate wireless headphones?

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not exactly following your logic. Why does handheld functionality necessitate wireless headphones?

Name me any handheld system not made by Nintendo that don't support wireless Bluetooth headsets. Standards need to be made. Accepting it is what it is not good for the consumer. Same with Tablets and Cell phones. Every single handheld device has this feature. This should be a standard.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that Nintendo could make Wii U do remote play the way PS4 and other platforms do it.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Love my Switch, but the OS is barebones as fuck. Sadly when you bring this up you'll be met with some of the same excuses. Basically--"Why do you need these features on the Switch? Don't you own a smartphone or tablet?" It's tiring.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
That's why I would love for the Switch to be able to upload uncompressed to to smartphone, I used to do that with my Wii U as well using USB pro on my phone. But that doesn't need a a dedicated web browser to do that, just an option in the OS.
True, I just have no faith Nintendo will give the dedicated option. It took Sony forever to offer PNG formats so asking for better online sharing capabilities is a stretch.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It needs standard security features so someone like my brother or nephew can't just select my user profile and mess with my game saves.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
The important features i want:

-Messaging and Community system
-Voice chat room using a bluetooth or aux headphones directly to the switch.
-Save Data back up
-Increase the game you played log capacity
-Activity log, sharing pics and vids on my profile.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 had a native 1080p UI yet switch doesn't. Vita had party chat, a messaging system, a browser and I think a suite of media apps day one....

I think we are going to have to go through the PS4 effect for the Switch...we'll get new features throughout it's lifetime. Now it's just a matter of time which feature were getting first. I have trust that Nintendo will add these features in the future.

Just take your Switch with you. It is portable and it's main feature.

Well now I do (Vita is retired), and I'm used to having these features on the Vita. Which is why I made this thread.