• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Whats the cheapest Dock that doesnt brick my 2nd Revision Switch? I need one for my GFs place but I dont want to spend so much money since I wont use it so often there

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of battery life are people generally getting for both the switch undocked or switch lite? I'm just wondering because i've got a flight next weekend which is about 5 hours both ways and I was thinking of getting either a switch or switch lite but reading around people are noting the battery life from like 3-7 hours and was just wondering which I was gonna go with.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
What is a good buy that can not be bought physically? I leave for a two week trip to visit my family. I am looking at don't starve as its 6$ but I never got far with it on PC.

Games I actually play:

Dark Souls
Darkest Dungeon
Crypt of the Necrodancer

I own (enjoyed):
MHXX (played 60 hours, liked it but the styles off putting)

No I don't want BoTW (borrowed), game is for me total pass after trying it for 60 hours. I don't really care for first party games either lol..

Anyways any suggestions?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What is a good buy that can not be bought physically? I leave for a two week trip to visit my family. I am looking at don't starve as its 6$ but I never got far with it on PC.

Games I actually play:

Dark Souls
Darkest Dungeon
Crypt of the Necrodancer

I own (enjoyed):
MHXX (played 60 hours, liked it but the styles off putting)

No I don't want BoTW (borrowed), game is for me total pass after trying it for 60 hours. I don't really care for first party games either lol..

Anyways any suggestions?

From those games, I think you'd dig Tangledeep, which is a roguelike/mystery dungeon/RPG. It's currently 50% off on the eShop ($9.99), and is getting a huge expansion pack in the next month or so. It has:
  • (Optional) Permadeath, as well as tons of difficulty modifiers to make it as easy or hard as you like.
    • Playing with permadeath, it also has a good amount of progression carryover between characters: you can bank money and high tier equipment to use on other characters, as well as catch/train/breed powerful monsters.
  • A very deep mix-and-match job system, similar to games like FF5/FFT/Bravely/Octopath, which IMO makes the player almost look forward to deaths in order to experiment with wildly different builds.
  • Lovely SNES-inspired pixel art & OST.
  • Infinite potential gameplay, with hugely customizable gear, as well as NG+ and even NG++ (called 'Savage World') which is the ultimate challenge.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It is not unlikely, but complaints on the internet will always give a false impression of these likelihoods. People with no problems won't go to forums to complain, so they are not visible. I only occasionally have a little drift on my left one that stays for seconds at most and disappears, but I have seen this with different controllers from other console generations too, my tiny drift is not specific to the joycons.

Haven't even bought a second pair yet, only considering one now for RFA. As no Switch owner around me has reported drift I assume it's likelihood is mildly exaggerated. It's not as bad as with the N64 analog sticks which inevitably became unusable.

I would not let this keep me away from buying a Switch. The versatility of the joycons is actually awesome. If this is a budget question however it should not be a problem if you have to send them in or buy a second pair at some point (also makes sense for multiplayer though). As someone who is careful about purchases I would stay away from the Lite though, not only due to the possibility of drift.

I dunno, I think the fact that Nintendo has acknowledged it as a problem and are (in the US at least) repairing drifting joycons even out of warranty points to it being pretty prevalent. I'm sending my second pair of joycons in after they fixed my console pair. I wouldn't necessarily let that scare me off of getting the system, but it's a legit concern and I haven't seen any kind of indication that they are redesigning the joycons to fix anything.

For the person who has problems with diagonals on the Lite dpad, the only solution I've seen is to return it.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
USB C is a true garbage standard. Previously you could grab any USB cable you wanted but now you have to consider so many stuff o.O
USB C is just the connector type, not a standard. Compliance has always been a factor. But I'd say there's just many many more manufacturers now than "before", that may or may not build cables fit for your purpose.

Mizzou Gaming

Oct 27, 2017
Will this Arctic 7 headset work with a docked Nintendo Switch? I know it will work with an undocked Switch using the included cable but I am not sure about using them when my Switch is docked.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017

Gui

Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone!

Pardon the question but is there a specific threat/post to share Friend Codes?

More specifically for Pokemon Sword and Shield for them raidin'

Thank you!

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I have a Switch Lite and was pretty happy with it. I prefer the smaller form factor over the OG Switch, which is too big and heavy for portable gaming IMO.
BUT I've been experiencing missed inputs for the left analog stick and it is driving me crazy. It didn't bother me that much in the beginning, but now I'm playing Fast rmx and sometimes the ship just won't steer which makes the game incredibly frustrating. I did a test in Bomb Chicken and it happens more frequently that I thought, 5 times within one minute:

(After 3, 10, 28, 47 and 54 seconds)
It seems like only the left direction is affected.

So I'll send the unit to Nintendo for repair. I guess my saves are gone then if I'm not willing to pay basic features like cloud saves? I've been playing video games for 25 years and the only systems that shipped with faulty controllers were both the OG Switch and Switch Lite.
Customer satisfaction -1.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best external battery that can charge an OG Switch to 100% at least once?

Alternatively what's the best external battery for the Switch that is $60 or less?

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Just bought a Switch with BOTW, Ringfit adventure and 50€ eshop. I'm so excited.
This is the first Nintendo console i've ever owned. Looking forward to playing indies on this machine.
Really want to try My friend Pedro, Ori, Cuphead, Celeste, Slay the Spire, Yooka-laylee...

What are the must have games on this system?

EDIT: are there many sales on the eshop? And do all games go on sale, or moslty third party games

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
EDIT: are there many sales on the eshop? And do all games go on sale, or moslty third party games

I use psprices.com (don't forget to select your region) to keep track of sales on digital stores. Despite the name, it covers other storefronts than just the PSN, such as the eshop.

You can check out what items are currently on sale, as well as look up an item that isn't and see it's discount history.

I also recommend ordering items by subscriptions, which is the number of people who've subscribed for notifications against specified title. That way you'll see the most wanted items on sale.

Last edited:

Banglish

Banned
Dec 16, 2017
I have a Switch Lite and was pretty happy with it. I prefer the smaller form factor over the OG Switch, which is too big and heavy for portable gaming IMO.
BUT I've been experiencing missed inputs for the left analog stick and it is driving me crazy. It didn't bother me that much in the beginning, but now I'm playing Fast rmx and sometimes the ship just won't steer which makes the game incredibly frustrating. I did a test in Bomb Chicken and it happens more frequently that I thought, 5 times within one minute:

So I'll send the unit to Nintendo for repair. I guess my saves are gone then if I'm not willing to pay basic features like cloud saves? I've been playing video games for 25 years and the only systems that shipped with faulty controllers were both the OG Switch and Switch Lite.

I just bought a lite, this has me worried now :/

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Just bought a Switch with BOTW, Ringfit adventure and 50€ eshop. I'm so excited.
This is the first Nintendo console i've ever owned. Looking forward to playing indies on this machine.
Really want to try My friend Pedro, Ori, Cuphead, Celeste, Slay the Spire, Yooka-laylee...

What are the must have games on this system?

Too many to list, but you can't really go wrong with anything first-party, especially as you've not owned a Nintendo console before. Start with Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Come and join us in the monthly eShop thread for wider perspectives.

There's pretty much always a new set of games going on sale every week, mostly on Thursdays. Bigger sales happen at notable points on the calendar, e.g., New Year (typically with many first-party discounts), summer, Black Friday, Christmas.

I'd recommend using dekudeals.com to track prices, but psprices.com as mentioned above is another good option.

If you're in the US, Captain of Outer Space posts a thread each week listing the new discounts; for Europe, they're typically posted in the eShop thread.

Oh, and if you haven't played it elsewhere, Hollow Knight is a mandatory purchase.

I don't think that there's any need to be to concerned - from what I've seen this seems to be a one-off.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How early do games go up for preorder? Surprised Animal Crossing doesn't seem to be available for preorder yet - but others seemed to be availabl really early.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
So I picked up a Switch Lite yesterday. The second I powered it on for the first time I could tell that the panel had a heavy bias toward green. I dropped in MK8 and couldn't believe how dull/lifeless it looked. I grabbed my OG Switch to compare and confirmed that I wasn't imagining things. I boxed it up and exchanged it today. The one I demoed in the store certainly didn't have this problem.

The new one I got today looks great. White point is slightly cool on it while my OG Switch is slightly warm. (not that I've ever attempted to slap a colorimeter on my Switch, but I keep my primary displays calibrated and it's not difficult to pick up on these differences) I prefer the warmer temperature of the OG, but it does have a tendency to push reds a bit. Overall saturation and contrast is a tossup on my preferred brightness settings (the OG can look punchier at times but I'm certain it's dude to the aforementioned red overshoot) while the Lite can appear a slight touch sharper. The OG has higher peak brightness, but the second Lite is better than the one I originally received if memory serves. (I obviously can't compare them directly)

I love the Switch, but Nintendo's quality control has been incredibly disappointing. My OG needed a joycon sent away within a month of owning it thanks to a sticking L3 button and it developed a subtly grinding fan within a year. (still haven't had it repaired) I knew there was a panel lottery, (which has been a widespread problem on many product lines for ages) but I didn't expect the variances to be this severe. The first Lite I got was manufactured in the Philippines while the second in China. I'm obviously not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that different panels are sourced to different assembly plants. And no, there wasn't anything "defective" about the original Lite that I received. It was entirely a problem with the display calibration and capabilities. Even Nintendo is covering their asses by posting about variances being "within tolerance" on their support site.

I don't know how widespread this is, but you're paying good money and shouldn't have to settle for less — and the first Lite I received was significantly less than the one I exchanged it for. This is more than just a case of "your eyes will adjust" to inaccurate white balance. One panel is clearly inferior to the other and I don't believe that my personal preference plays into that statement.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all, I've been looking to get a controller dock to use with my Joycons, NES, and eventually SNES controllers. I bought an Insignia (Best Buy) dock that fits four Joycons, but the NES controllers are too big and don't slot in properly. Does anyone have recommendations for a dock that can charge four controllers simultaneously that can fit NES and SNES controllers? Bonus points if it can also charge a Pro Controller. Thank you.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Ok guys about to buy a switch to complement my gaming pc.

Im getting a pro controller and 2 games.

1 of them will be Mario odyssey, you guys get to choose my 2nd one, majority wins. Fire Emblem, Luigis mansion 3 or Astral chain?

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all about the pinball games on my flipgrip at the moment. Attack From Mars and Doom are my faves in Pinball FX3. I've also been playing some Devil's Tilt and Star Wars.

The Pinball FX stuff has some great sound and rumble.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I have a launch model switch which I'm selling to replace with the new battery model.

However, I've received a lot of requests for the serial number so the buyers can find out if it's a "patched" model, does anyone know what this means?

For reference my launch model has never been modded or sent to Nintendo, it has just had the firmware software updates, that's it. Is this worth more to potential buyers looking to mod the unit? So I should ask for a higher price?

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
I have a launch model switch which I'm selling to replace with the new battery model.

However, I've received a lot of requests for the serial number so the buyers can find out if it's a "patched" model, does anyone know what this means?

For reference my launch model has never been modded or sent to Nintendo, it has just had the firmware software updates, that's it. Is this worth more to potential buyers looking to mod the unit? So I should ask for a higher price?
The launch model can't be patched to stop the paper clip exploit thing, so its worth more than it would be, but not much more as there's millions of them.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
The launch model can't be patched to stop the paper clip exploit thing, so its worth more than it would be, but not much more as there's millions of them.

Ok cool.

Also, I'll probably buy the newer model now so I can do the system transfer - is there a guide to doing this and will it affect the original unpatched unit by doing a system transfer?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So maybe I misunderstood how this secondary switch thing works.

I have Dragonquest XI on a physical cart. To my knowledge, the game doesn't have any online features, at least not to the point in the game I'm on. I started it up from my secondary switch and it does an online check, which fails because my son was playing on my account on my primary switch.

So the secondary switch checks if anyone is playing on the same account even if it's a cart and not a digital game? If I had two switches and two people were playing separate carts, they can't play on the same account?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So maybe I misunderstood how this secondary switch thing works.

I have Dragonquest XI on a physical cart. To my knowledge, the game doesn't have any online features, at least not to the point in the game I'm on. I started it up from my secondary switch and it does an online check, which fails because my son was playing on my account on my primary switch.

So the secondary switch checks if anyone is playing on the same account even if it's a cart and not a digital game? If I had two switches and two people were playing separate carts, they can't play on the same account?
Your son needs to play on his account on your primary Switch. Using the same User account at the same time is not possible.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Your son needs to play on his account on your primary Switch. Using the same User account at the same time is not possible.

I understand why for digital games, but for cart games? I'm not even sure why it needs to check in with the internet at all until the cloud save needs to be uploaded.

What this means is that basically my secondary switch can't play a physical cart unless there's an internet connection, even if the game doesn't use the internet at all. That seems insane.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why for digital games, but for cart games? I'm not even sure why it needs to check in with the internet at all until the cloud save needs to be uploaded.

What this means is that basically my secondary switch can't play a physical cart unless there's an internet connection, even if the game doesn't use the internet at all. That seems insane.
The internet check is to see if
1) the User Account you select to be used is already occupied
2) for digital licenses to see who owns the game you try to play

In your scenario the user account is already in use so it cannot be used a second time.

For both digital and carts, your son needs to use his own User account to play. Your account only exists as primary on that same console to allow him to use your digital games.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The internet check is to see if
1) the User Account you select to be used is already occupied
2) for digital licenses to see who owns the game you try to play

In your scenario the user account is already in use so it cannot be used a second time.

For both digital and carts, your son needs to use his own User account to play. Your account only exists as primary on that same console to allow him to use your digital games.
Right, I guess I realized that was the case for digital games, I just figured I could use the Lite as a secondary machine for physical games without needing an internet connection to check in. I'm not sure why Nintendo cares that my account is in use for offline games, the only time it interacts with anything is cloud saves. I wonder does it still need to check in if I don't have nintendo online?

It's not a problem for my son to use his own account, the problem is in having it check every time to see if someone else is using the account.

edited to add: Ok, I turned on airplane mode and the problem seems to be that it wants to verify my account because of the Champions Pack free DLC. So I think you can play physical games without DLC without the internet check. It gives you the option of starting the game without DLC if you have no internet. Still really weird because the DLC is basically just some static items that you claim, do they take that out of your inventory or something?

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
edited to add: Ok, I turned on airplane mode and the problem seems to be that it wants to verify my account because of the Champions Pack free DLC. So I think you can play physical games without DLC without the internet check. It gives you the option of starting the game without DLC if you have no internet. Still really weird because the DLC is basically just some static items that you claim, do they take that out of your inventory or something?
This explains it. From a technical perspective, DLC is the same as a Full Digital game, free item or not.
It's a purchase with a digital content license attached.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany

To give a little update. I send my unit to Nintendo's (German) contractor on Monday evening and received the repaired system on Friday at noon. They stated that the analog was defective and replaced it. So no need to redownload things and the Nintendo Online trial for cloud backups wasn't necessary in the end either. Very happy with the whole procedure! Nintendo regained a bit of my customer satisfaction :)