• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
My left Joycon ran into a problem so bad it makes me wish I was dealing with drifting instead.

I don't know what the fuck is going on, but the fucking thing keeps disconnecting in handheld mode. Inconsistently at the slightest fucking nudge. Jesus I'm about to blow a gasket. This shit cropped up a a couple of weeks ago and has progressed to the point where it's borderline unplayable (fuck after . a recent session I can drop "borderline") as it now disconnects from pressing d-buttons. and some moments it works fine and then goes crazy.

What the hell is going on?! I've tried disconnecting and pairing again a thousand times, updating the controllers but nothing works! It works just fine in any other mode but goes insane when attached in handheld.

Please for the love of God tell me it's the goddamn Joycon and not the rail. I can't send Nintendo shit, I don't live in a country where they operate. Buying a new Joycon I can fathom but if it's the fucking rail then I'm screwed. At least I THINK that it feels more wobbly in the grip, so I hope it's the goddamn Joycon.

Sounds like the joy-con. Is it physically becoming ajar from the rail from slight contact? Check if the four small bumps on the joy-con's interior side are intact (they're at each corner). They're what holds it secure in the railing, but they're extremely easy to chafe off -- say, if you drop the Switch and a joy-con dislodges, that alone can destroy the bumps, making the joy-con less secure on the Switch.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Also chance the DNS settings to Google preferred.

My auto dns settings yielded 20.0Mbs on the 2.4GHz connection, and 31.2Mb/s with the DNS Prim: 8.8.8.8 and DNS Secondary: 8.8.4.4. Using Auto DNS with my 5GHz connection was 23Mb/s and 1.9Mb/s upload, with manual Google DNS I listed, now I'm at 47.2Mb/s down and 4.8MB/s up.

That's with the 1500MTU change.
So glad I checked out this thread. Just changed to Cloudflare DNS and the MTU on a few wifi access points I often use. Maybe it is snake oil but I feel like I can already see a difference just loading the eshop.

On an unrelated note, I've been having issues lately with the eshop, saying that settings failed to load and it has to restart. This happens right after launching the eshop. The answer is apparently to clear the cache. Only downside is having to enter the nintendo account password again when launching the eshop the next time.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Sounds like the joy-con. Is it physically becoming ajar from the rail from slight contact? Check if the four small bumps on the joy-con's interior side are intact (they're at each corner). They're what holds it secure in the railing, but they're extremely easy to chafe off -- say, if you drop the Switch and a joy-con dislodges, that alone can destroy the bumps, making the joy-con less secure on the Switch.
Is there any way to fix that? I assume not.

I have dropped pretty badly before, by which I mean accidentally flinging it halfway across a room into a door, hard enough to crack the L button in two. However, that problem didn't manifest then, that was a long time ago.

It manifested one time after I, having suspected that drift was coming back, sprayed in a whole lot contact cleaner fluid and left it to dry overnight. Is it possible for that to be the cause or could this just be a coincidence?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at getting a compact power bank to give my Switch some extra battery life; does this need to be a USB-C PD-compatible power bank, or will non-PD ones be sufficient?

For example Anker sells this "wallet-sized" 15,000 mAh bank, but it isn't Power Delivery compatible. If I want one of those I have to either go for a 10,000 mAh one (smaller, more expensive) or upgrade to 20,000 mAh (even more expensive, with the added bulk of the bigger battery).

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any recommendations for in-ear headphones for around $100-150? Preferably one that doesn't need to amped to have decent volume. I liked the headphones that came with Galaxy S10+. Sadly, I left them in the wash and they're toast.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
yqNWIAl.png

Current collection post trading my physical collection in (and some other nonsense) and going full digital. I want to prioritise picking up MHGU, Spyro trilogy (assuming the port's good), Astral Chain (assuming the game's good) and a bunch of indies (I want to know what people's essential indies are; I picked up the HM collection because I had a suspicion it would be pulled from the AU eShop and I was right).

I'm happy enough with 1P games (unless people are really insistent I pick something up based on what's listed here) and I can probably pick up other third parties like Mario + Rabbids later (same deal).

Last edited:

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I have been thinking about picking up a Switch and now with the newer version with better battery I think the time has come. So, I have two questions:

1. How can I tell if a console is the OG or the new one?
2. Do you guys think there'll be good deals around Black Friday? Would those deals be more likely the OG or new console? I just want to decide whether it's worth waiting or not.

Thanks for any tips, I've been away from the Nintendo world for a while now and am a little lost.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone ever heard of all the buttons on a left Joycon suddenly becoming completely unresponsive? Analog stick works, analog stick "click" works, everything else... nada. Everything is up to date firmware-wise and this occurs whether connected or wireless. Normally I'd just send this to NOA for repair but this is a Mario red Japanese import. Is there a better place to post this here?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just bought the new Switch from GAME, it's my first Switch, so I need all the things! I'm wondering, are the Switch branded SD cards any better or are you paying extra for no reason? And how much space do you really need for an all physical library? I picked up this case and screen protector from Amazon. Is there anything else I really need?

Also, was Breath of the Wild ever fixed? I'm watching a frame rate video and it dropped into the teens at times, on patch 1.1. It's 2 years old so I'm hoping they got it running at a solid 30?

Last edited:

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I have been thinking about picking up a Switch and now with the newer version with better battery I think the time has come. So, I have two questions:

1. How can I tell if a console is the OG or the new one?
2. Do you guys think there'll be good deals around Black Friday? Would those deals be more likely the OG or new console? I just want to decide whether it's worth waiting or not.

Thanks for any tips, I've been away from the Nintendo world for a while now and am a little lost.
The new one is an all red box. There's also serial number differences (gamespot). There will probably be deals, but don't expect a huge price difference for either. Best bet is the system coming with a specified free game. But that's just a guess. If you're in no rush it's only a 3 month wait to find out.

I just bought the new Switch from GAME, it's my first Switch, so I need all the things! I'm wondering, are the Switch branded SD cards any better or are you paying extra for no reason? And how much space do you really need for an all physical library? I picked up this case and screen protector from Amazon. Is there anything else I really need?

Also, was Breath of the Wild ever fixed? I'm watching a frame rate video and it dropped into the teens at times, on patch 1.1. It's 2 years old so I'm hoping they got it running at a solid 30?
No reason. There's no reason to pay more for a Switch branded card. What video of Zelda did you watch? Did it happen to be a forest village? Outside of that area (which is still poor) the game runs fine. It's mainly that area that is bad.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The new one is an all red box. There's also serial number differences (gamespot). There will probably be deals, but don't expect a huge price difference for either. Best bet is the system coming with a specified free game. But that's just a guess. If you're in no rush it's only a 3 month wait to find out.

No reason. There's no reason to pay more for a Switch branded card. What video of Zelda did you watch? Did it happen to be a forest village? Outside of that area (which is still poor) the game runs fine. It's mainly that area that is bad.

I actually found a spare 32 GB Samsung Evo SD card, so I'm just going to use that. And yeah, it was the Forest, it spent most of the time at 20fps which isn't great.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to go all physical for the Switch. I'm mostly digital on everything else, but this gives me another reason to get out the house even for just a little bit. I'm already overwhelmed at the catalog though.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018

Thanks! I´ll probably wait, save some extra money for the games and whatnot :)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a difficult time not buying all these damn games. Got BoTW with the Switch. Just ordered Smash and I'm tempted to go ahead and grab Odyssey. Send help.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
US/AC power players:

Have y'all found any power adapters with enough juice for docked mode that have low-profile wall bricks? Like super low profile. The lowest profile possible.

I just got a Jumpgate dock and Maxcarry case from Skull & Co to finalize my portable dock setup and it's almost perfect except all the bricks I have are too bulky to fit in the case alongside the full dock. I can manage with just the Core Drive but I kinda bought the Jumpgate because of the outer shell (I'd prefer not to lay my Switch face down hooked to a TV, just gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason) so I'd like to bring it with me or else it'll just sit at home collecting dust.

Also, dropped my Switch in my old case the other day and my Splatoon Joycons finally cracked lol. Mostly at the screw holes but the green one actually had the rail pop out of the shell and I had to fit it back in. Fun times but honestly it's doing good for heavy usage traveling around/getting dropped for two years!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just got an email from GAME, my Switch will arrive on Tuesday! I also just grabbed Bayonetta 2 for £20 which is the game I wanted most, so I'm really happy with that.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have spent so much this week.

£299 Switch v2 (new)
£20 Bayonetta 2 (used)
£14 Mario Rabbids (used)
£31 Yoshi's Crafted World (new)
£27 Mario Odyssey (new)
£8 Case
£6 Screen protector

On the plus side I have about 100+ hours of gameplay to get through.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Got my Switch today, couldn't get the bloody screen protector on properly so pied that off. One thing I don't like is the screen is very reflective? Unless I tilt it perfectly glare is a problem sitting in doors. Had a bit of luck though, the used Bayonetta 2 I bought had two Bayonetta 1 codes, one used and one unused so I got that as well, is it normal to get 2 codes?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a Switch Friday. Since then I've got;

BOTW
Smash Ultimate
Mario Odyssey
Mario Party
Mario Tennis Aces

I already have MK8 and Splatoon 2 from the 1 week I owned a Switch last year lol. Once I get SMM2, FE3H, and Astral Chain I'll have everything on my list.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Got my Switch today, couldn't get the bloody screen protector on properly so pied that off. One thing I don't like is the screen is very reflective? Unless I tilt it perfectly glare is a problem sitting in doors. Had a bit of luck though, the used Bayonetta 2 I bought had two Bayonetta 1 codes, one used and one unused so I got that as well, is it normal to get 2 codes?
It's a sign! That you should live your life, from here on out, for Bayonetta, and Bayonetta alone. ;)

Very strange. The code for Bayo 1 is on the box art cover. So you had two codes on the cover?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's a sign! That you should live your life, from here on out, for Bayonetta, and Bayonetta alone. ;)

Very strange. The code for Bayo 1 is on the box art cover. So you had two codes on the cover?

No it was inside. The guy I bought it from used one, but there was another inside which I used.

R4RQeta.jpg

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
No it was inside. The guy I bought it from used one, but there was another inside which I used.

R4RQeta.jpg
The NA version has the code on the cover, so the chances of getting a duplicate are slim.

If I remember correctly, when the collection launched, some of the codes for Bayo 1 weren't valid. Can't recall if it was region specific or what. Maybe a later batch included two codes as a temporary solution, idk. If both codes were valid for the seller, then it's very cool of them to have included the unused code. Could have taken the 2nd and sold it. Worked out very well for you. Enjoy the games!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The NA version has the code on the cover, so the chances of getting a duplicate are slim.

If I remember correctly, when the collection launched, some of the codes for Bayo 1 weren't valid. Can't recall if it was region specific or what. Maybe a later batch included two codes as a temporary solution, idk. If both codes were valid for the seller, then it's very cool of them to have include the unused code. Could have taken the 2nd and sold it. Worked out very well for you. Enjoy the games!

Yeah, I bought it not expecting Bay1 at all, it was a very nice surprise. £20 for both is a steal IMO.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I caved and bought SMM2. Amazon has it on sale and they are currently doing free 1 day shipping on certain items so I jumped on it. Astral Chain and FE3H is all that remains.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
So I was waiting for the Lite to come out, but saw an OG Switch on an Amazon warehouse deal for only $30 more than what the Lite will be. No-brainer to go with a dockable model at that price. Was supposed to be a used one, but It seems like it's just a slightly damaged box and/or unopened return, because everything inside is pristine and certainly hasn't been touched.

Got Mario Maker 2 with it and have been loving it. I have an 8bitdo sn30 pro+ on it's way now so I can love it even more.

I will probably grab Mario Odyssey before the end of the week.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Would appreciate some help here! Switch-owner since launch, but haven't bought a Micro SD-card yet. I buy physical when possible, but have around 40 eShop titles and I'm sick and tired of downloading and archiving games all the time. Plus it doesn't feel good to me, I just want to all have it on my system / on a card on my system.

I'm thinking of the SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC 400GB - UHS1 & A1 - I can get it for 60 euros. This is a good price, right? And, keeping in mind that I buy physical when possible, will it be enough for this gen? I think it will be, but Im still in doubt. Plus I don't want to shell out 200 euro for a bigger card, thats just insane.

Anything else I should know? How can I get the games on my system / account on the card? Do I have to archive them all then download them on the SD card? And... how do updates work? Half of my system is filled up with updates from physical games, how can I get those updates on the card?

Thanks in advance folks!

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would appreciate some help here! Switch-owner since launch, but haven't bought a Micro SD-card yet. I buy physical when possible, but have around 40 eShop titles and I'm sick and tired of downloading and archiving games all the time. Plus it doesn't feel good to me, I just want to all have it on my system / on a card on my system.

I'm thinking of the SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC 400GB - UHS1 & A1 - I can get it for 60 euros. This is a good price, right? And, keeping in mind that I buy physical when possible, will it be enough for this gen? I think it will be, but Im still in doubt. Plus I don't want to shell out 200 euro for a bigger card, thats just insane.

Anything else I should know? How can I get the games on my system / account on the card? Do I have to archive them all then download them on the SD card? And... how do updates work? Half of my system is filled up with updates from physical games, how can I get those updates on the card?

Thanks in advance folks!
60 EUR I think is a good price, I got one of those when it was ~90. That said, I do not think it will last "this gen" (Switch lifetime?), as I'm 350GB of it filled personally hehe. Prices will drop on higher end cards as time pass.

You'll have to archive and re-download games that are stored on your internal memory, there's still no way to move content from one or the other.

Games and Updates will download to SD card when its present, internal when its not. It is possible to have a game split across the two if memory happens to run out on the SD card mid-download. Save games stay on the internal memory.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks in advance folks!

I also bought the 400GB for 80€, and so far so good. I have about 40 games on it, from Skyrim to Warframe, Smash Bros, Turok, Dark Soul, DOOM 2016, Mario Kart, Odyssey, Wolfenstein, etc... and I'm still quite large with all the space I have left available (212 GB left precisely).

I don't know how long will be the lifetime for the Switch, but I'm confident enough I'll still last a few years with it. And even if it happens to be full, I'm sure there're game I won't play again once I'm done with (Wolffenstein, Odyssey...) and it won't be a burden for me to delete those to have more spaces available as I will not play them daily.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon.de is randomly dropping prices for upcoming Switch releases. I was able to pre-order Astral Chain for 44 Euro some months ago and just now I checked my other pre-orders and Pokemon Sword is 44 Euro too all of a sudden.
Weird. Gonna pre-order all my Switch games on Amazon from now on :D.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to claim my 9 month extension for Nintendo Online with Twitch Prime but it gives me an error code saying I already have a membership and cannot redeem this offer.

Is this right? I thought new subs stacked. the 3 month worked fine.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I'll need to sell my Switch but I want to keep my digital games as I plan to get another Switch later next year - is there a way to remove my account from my current system and then in future use my account on a new Switch to redownload my games?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to claim my 9 month extension for Nintendo Online with Twitch Prime but it gives me an error code saying I already have a membership and cannot redeem this offer.

Is this right? I thought new subs stacked. the 3 month worked fine.
They should stack, mine did.

I'll need to sell my Switch but I want to keep my digital games as I plan to get another Switch later next year - is there a way to remove my account from my current system and then in future use my account on a new Switch to redownload my games?
If you have any save games you want to keep, make sure they're backed up in the cloud first. Then Initialize the Switch back to it's factory settings. (How to Delete All Content & Settings on the Nintendo Switch)
On a future Switch, add your Nintendo Account to it and re-download any games you own from the eShop again.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
They should stack, mine did.

If you have any save games you want to keep, make sure they're backed up in the cloud first. Then Initialize the Switch back to it's factory settings. (How to Delete All Content & Settings on the Nintendo Switch)
On a future Switch, add your Nintendo Account to it and re-download any games you own from the eShop again.

Thank you.

I'm not bothered about my saves tbh and I don't have the Nintendo online membership, I just want ensure my purchased games are safe.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
quick question - if i buy the digital version of a game i own the physical version of already, does the save data transfer over? i got Binding of Isaac like 2 weeks ago and it's on sale digitally. my return window is still open on Amazon and Isaac is actually one game i'd rather own the digital version of, so i think i'm gonna send it back and grab it from the eshop. it's not a big deal if they don't since i've sunk a relatively low amount of time in so far, but i'm curious, and it would be convenient.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys clean the Switch's speaker holes? Either I'm paranoid or seeing things, but I'm kinda compelled to wanna clean that portion of the device now. Maybe with like a brush or something?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, out of all the games I've bought for the Switch, Super Mario Odyssey is taking the cake. It's such a blast to move around on the map. Being able to morph into whatever you throw the hat at is also fun. Just played as a tank fighting a bunch of other tanks. Then I swung from pole to pole and climbed the side of a mountain. So fun.

Oct 26, 2017
Alright so if I own three switches, can I game share across all three? I just wouldn't be able to launch a game simultaneously on all three correct?