• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I didn't see it in the OP, but is there a consensus on best micro sdxc card to get for the money? I'm thinking maybe 128GB so I never have to worry about games? Though that may be overkill? I don't tend to own a billion games at once.

Reddit FAQ says these?

or

It really depends on how much you intend to buy games as digital downloads - 128GB can fill up very quickly and I'd generally recommend opting for the largest cards that you can reasonably afford. I have a 400GB version of the SanDisk that you link installed and have been very happy with it - though am strongly considering an upgrade to 512GB.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
It really depends on how much you intend to buy games as digital downloads - 128GB can fill up very quickly and I'd generally recommend opting for the largest cards that you can reasonably afford. I have a 400GB version of the SanDisk that you link installed and have been very happy with it - though am strongly considering an upgrade to 512GB.

Based on my quick research switch games aren't anywhere as big as my xox games it seems. Likely going mainly physical so we can play and sell games later on to fund others (good learning lesson for kids).

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Couple more questions...got my switch for Xmas gift today :)

Having never played Zelda, it's pretty much an standard RPG through and through?

more importantly, there's a bunch of 128GB or 256GB cards on sale at Best Buy for $20-$30...what's the best to pick for the price?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Couple more questions...got my switch for Xmas gift today :)

Having never played Zelda, it's pretty much an standard RPG through and through?

more importantly, there's a bunch of 128GB or 256GB cards on sale at Best Buy for $20-$30...what's the best to pick for the price?
No Zelda is more like Alundra, Landstalker, Oceanhorn and those kind of adventure games. No xp, grinding or leveling.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Did anyone trade out their Switch for a Lite? I'm kind of tempted since I play my Switch handheld 99% of the time. Not sure what to think of the smaller screen but it looks more comfortable to hold. Really only thing I like having the dock for is the occasional Smash with guests.

Do the 3rd party dock/dongles work with the Lite? Could I still hook one up that way and use my Pro Controller?

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
The Erica Griffin Switch Lite video sold me on the Pokemon one. I wish there wasn't any decals on the back, but the grey colorant colored sticks/buttons are too nice to pass up. I have 30 days to return it in case I change my mind, I can't hold out until Nintendo announces the Animal Crossing Lite.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
The Erica Griffin Switch Lite video sold me on the Pokemon one. I wish there wasn't any decals on the back, but the grey colorant colored sticks/buttons are too nice to pass up. I have 30 days to return it in case I change my mind, I can't hold out until Nintendo announces the Animal Crossing Lite.

I didn't realize how grey the unit actually is. Looking at stock photos, I thought it was lighter.

Oct 27, 2017
Had to replace my joy con sticks due to drift today. Contact cleaner worked for a while but eventually it just wouldn't stick. I'm in Europe so no free repairs, so I bought a kit off of Amazon for like €13 and just did it myself. It seems to be working perfectly fine now. I hope I didn't mess up the insides too much, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how long a lite battery will last fully charged and powered completely off?

I got one for my son for Xmas and I'm done downloading eshop games and whatnot. I'd like to wrap it soon so he doesn't see it. But I don't want it dead on Xmas morning

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how long a lite battery will last fully charged and powered completely off?

I got one for my son for Xmas and I'm done downloading eshop games and whatnot. I'd like to wrap it soon so he doesn't see it. But I don't want it dead on Xmas morning
I don't know about the Switch, but my new 3ds, psp and Vita lasted a long time...

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Testing my Pokémon Switch Lite, played Tetris 99 with the d-pad, works really well, not seeing any issues with it. Also just let both my OG Switch and Lite run Sonic Mania on the title screen, again wasn't noticing any ghosting, dead pixels, or the like. I haven't tried the LttP trick with diagonal movement, not sure if I need to. The color temperature is very so slightly warm, I can tell if I look at my OG Switch which is a cool temperature. Brightness I'm not seeing much difference, it looks to get as bright as my OG Switch so that's good.

Now all I need to do is buy a screen protector, buy a SD card, and transfer my profile over. Is there anything else I should look for?

Edit: I got my profile working on my Lite and made it the primary, downloaded the SNES Online and tried LttP, the d-pad is perfect, can go in a diamond pattern with zero issues. Really liking the weight and using a d-pad again.

One question, is there a way to get my pictures onto my Lite and its flash storage? I didn't transfer my profile over, but apparently the album won't transfer even if I did. All my pictures are still on my OG Switch which is a slight bummer.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Got my lan adapter. When I test the connection there doesn't seem to be much difference between wired and wireless (both around 10 mbps down). It does feel more responsive when I play Smash online, though. Is this normal?

Edit: Checked speeds on my laptop and they're pretty much the same. I guess it's just that my internet isn't super fast or anything.

Last edited:

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Got my lan adapter. When I test the connection there doesn't seem to be much difference between wired and wireless (both around 10 mbps down). It does feel more responsive when I play Smash online, though. Is this normal?

Edit: Checked speeds on my laptop and they're pretty much the same. I guess it's just that my internet isn't super fast or anything.
I'm no expert, but I think the benefit of using a lan adapter is lower latency. Hence the more responsive Smash. Not more/faster Mbps throughput.

Sep 24, 2019
At this point the Switch is my favorite console/handheld of all time.

I bought mine at launch and the battery still feels in perfect condition. My Switch already travelled multiple 1000 km along with me and is almost exclusivly used in handheld mode, only for stuff like Ring Fit, Zelda and Mario Odyssey I docked it.
And It is doing great. The games on it are amazing and even a new Animal Crossing is on the horizon.

Makes me wonder how Nintendo indends to follow up on this great device.

Oct 28, 2017
Joycon drift is getting real intolerable now. Shit is getting unplayable. I'm trying to play Luigi's Mansion 3 and I'm literally fighting the controls every step of the way. It's gotten so bad that I don't even have to touch the analog stick forward to make the stick drift forward anymore. If I try to move down the Switch thinks I'm holding backwards and forwards at the same time! It's a real struggle. I can't play anything that requires the analog stick anymore.

I can't live with this anymore I'm actually going to have to give Nintendo my money. I've tried to live with this as long as I can because I really didn't want to do that. I did not want to give Nintendo any money for their garbage build quality. And who knows how long new Joycons will last before they get drift? It's fucking garbage I hope Nintendo gets taken to the cleaners in the lawsuit.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Just got my Switch Lite and plan on making my OG Switch my at-home only machine. What should I expect as far as hurdles as far as switching between the two?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question about accounts and multiple systems. I own a Switch that we have hooked up in the livingroom. I'm the primary account and I have the kids set up as their own profile on it. I saw that I can play my games on multiple systems, but can they still play my games under their profile on the second switch? So for instance, I know I can play my games on more than one system, but does it need to be under my user name or can they still play my games under their username on the second switch? My son really wants a Switch Lite for X-Mas and it would be nice to give him a bunch of games to start with.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Just got my Switch Lite and plan on making my OG Switch my at-home only machine. What should I expect as far as hurdles as far as switching between the two?
Which one are you going to make your primary? Just be aware that the secondary has to "phone home" via the internet so if you make the Lite your secondary, you'll have to connect to wifi every time you start a game.

Anyone got an 8bitdo ns30 pro? Having trouble getting it paired up, installed the latest firmware but even hooked up w usb the Switch won't recognise it.
Apologies if this sounds dumb but did you follow the directions? I don't know the specifics for that model but I know you have to push some combination of buttons (power + y?), then pair it.

I have a question about accounts and multiple systems. I own a Switch that we have hooked up in the livingroom. I'm the primary account and I have the kids set up as their own profile on it. I saw that I can play my games on multiple systems, but can they still play my games under their profile on the second switch? So for instance, I know I can play my games on more than one system, but does it need to be under my user name or can they still play my games under their username on the second switch? My son really wants a Switch Lite for X-Mas and it would be nice to give him a bunch of games to start with.

On your primary system, any account can play any game. On your secondary system, only the account that bought the game can play, so they can't play your games with their profiles. Obviously, physical cards have no restrictions. The same player cannot play the same digital game at the same time. You can switch back and forth between which one is primary but you basically have to log into the current primary and deregister it in the eshop, then login to the eshop on the one you want to make primary.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Which one are you going to make your primary? Just be aware that the secondary has to "phone home" via the internet so if you make the Lite your secondary, you'll have to connect to wifi every time you start a game.

Apologies if this sounds dumb but did you follow the directions? I don't know the specifics for that model but I know you have to push some combination of buttons (power + y?), then pair it.

On your primary system, any account can play any game. On your secondary system, only the account that bought the game can play, so they can't play your games with their profiles. Obviously, physical cards have no restrictions. The same player cannot play the same digital game at the same time. You can switch back and forth between which one is primary but you basically have to log into the current primary and deregister it in the eshop, then login to the eshop on the one you want to make primary.

Got it. Thank you. I'll just need to tell my son to stay away from my Dragon Quest save, lol.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Switch experts, got a question.
My young godson is finally getting a Switch this Christmas, however we'd like to keep him offline. Is the Switch totally usable in this state?
I know we can set up a parent account, then a child account for him and block stuff..dunno if it'd just be easier to not engage. Dunno if we're gonna get him any digital purchases. Just carts so far.

Also if we do keep him offline can we still do local trades of Pokemon? He asked for Shield so I got myself Sword and I know he's gonna want those Pokemon at least. Thanks!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My young godson is finally getting a Switch this Christmas, however we'd like to keep him offline. Is the Switch totally usable in this state?
I know we can set up a parent account, then a child account for him and block stuff..dunno if it'd just be easier to not engage. Dunno if we're gonna get him any digital purchases. Just carts so far.

Also if we do keep him offline can we still do local trades of Pokemon? He asked for Shield so I got myself Sword and I know he's gonna want those Pokemon at least. Thanks!

If you don't have digital games I don't see any issue with being in airplane mode. I don't think you can do local trades that way, though.

I guess it depends what you're worried about? If he doesn't have an eshop account he can't buy anything anyway, and he can't play online without an online account (except for stuff like fortnite, which he can't download by himself).

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK

Do bear in mind that if you exclude digital downloads, you're missing out on a huge number of the Switch's best games. Of course there's plenty to explore from physical releases, but it would be a shame not to be able to look more widely too.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have digital games I don't see any issue with being in airplane mode. I don't think you can do local trades that way, though.

I guess it depends what you're worried about? If he doesn't have an eshop account he can't buy anything anyway, and he can't play online without an online account (except for stuff like fortnite, which he can't download by himself).
Do bear in mind that if you exclude digital downloads, you're missing out on a huge number of the Switch's best games. Of course there's plenty to explore from physical releases, but it would be a shame not to be able to look more widely too.

His mom just didnt want him knowing about online games and all so was just figuring out best option heh. He only just recently turned 6. For now at least I know he'll be happy with cart only games. He just wants Mario, Pokemon etc. but when hes older (even a year from now) its going to be unavoidable. Although it offline mode negates Pokemon trades thats gonna be a deciding factor haha.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
His mom just didnt want him knowing about online games and all so was just figuring out best option heh. He only just recently turned 6. For now at least I know he'll be happy with cart only games. He just wants Mario, Pokemon etc. but when hes older (even a year from now) its going to be unavoidable. Although it offline mode negates Pokemon trades thats gonna be a deciding factor haha.

Online games like Fortnite? Just keep him away from the eshop. You can also set it so that it alerts you whenever a game is downloaded.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Online games like Fortnite? Just keep him away from the eshop. You can also set it so that it alerts you whenever a game is downloaded.

Ha yes basically. Sounds like a good plan thanks. Im a weirdo whos always online and keep my switch docked all the time so I realized im not well versed into all the options for it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Ha yes basically. Sounds like a good plan thanks. Im a weirdo whos always online and keep my switch docked all the time so I realized im not well versed into all the options for it.
You can set it, so that when he tries to go onto the eshop they have to enter a password

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Hello all. I'm hoping this is the right thread to get some opinions, or if not at least that someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for switch game ideas for my sister for Christmas, and figured the switch OT was a good place to start.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hello all. I'm hoping this is the right thread to get some opinions, or if not at least that someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for switch game ideas for my sister for Christmas, and figured the switch OT was a good place to start.
How old is she? What types of games does she usually enjoy and what does she currently own? Are digital download games an option?

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question I hope someone can help me out with. I was gifted a switch yesterday and was going to get online for it.

If I get the individual one and my SO creates an account on the switch, will she also have access to online? I guess I'm wondering if I should get the family plan, but don't want to if online is per switch and not let account.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have to get replacement joycons since my left one drifts upwards. Bummer.

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, ive gad my switch since launch and am contemplating buying a new one for the better battery life. Thinking of getting a lite and keeping my current one docked just for smash and Mario party since i only keep it docked for those two anyway. Anyone know how widespread the dpad and drift issues seem to be on it? Is it a miniscule enough issue that ill likely not encounter or would i be better off just selling my current one and getting the revised switch with the better battery instead?

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thanks for responding.

She's late twenties, she loves BoTW, she also has the new Zelda, Smash, and I think the Witcher. Digital's definitely an option, though I'll have to wait until I see her at Christmas to load them for her.
Sorry for the delay in replying. One game that comes immediately to mind from The Witcher 3 is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen,, and maybe Skyrim. Beyond that, it's hard to go wrong with the 'big' first-party releases, so look into Super Mario Odyssey, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Pokemon Sword/Shield.

There's then a wealth of digital-only games on the eShop, though it's a little hard to give tailored recommendations from the games that you mention. I'll always put in a good word for Hollow Knight, though - essentially, the best Metroidvania game ever made (honestly, no hyperbole). Perhaps take a look at the current sale threads, with Black Friday imminent:

Europe: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ed-in-nintendo-cyber-deals-sale-europe.154434
US: https://www.resetera.com/threads/na...ulls-of-the-shogun-tennis-in-the-face.154507/
General eShop thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-eshop-november-2019-no-money-to-catch-em-all.150492/

A few eShop hughlights off the top of my head:
Cadence of Hyrule
Untitled Goose Game
Into the Breach
Yoku's Island Express
Wondersong
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Slay the Spire

I have a question I hope someone can help me out with. I was gifted a switch yesterday and was going to get online for it.

If I get the individual one and my SO creates an account on the switch, will she also have access to online? I guess I'm wondering if I should get the family plan, but don't want to if online is per switch and not let account.
No - an individual membership applies only for the account in question, not any other accounts on the same system.
Have to get replacement joycons since my left one drifts upwards. Bummer.
Have you tried looking into a return with Nintendo?

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry for the delay in replying. One game that comes immediately to mind from The Witcher 3 is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen,, and maybe Skyrim. Beyond that, it's hard to go wrong with the 'big' first-party releases, so look into Super Mario Odyssey, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Pokemon Sword/Shield.

There's then a wealth of digital-only games on the eShop, though it's a little hard to give tailored recommendations from the games that you mention. I'll always put in a good word for Hollow Knight, though - essentially, the best Metroidvania game ever made (honestly, no hyperbole). Perhaps take a look at the current sale threads, with Black Friday imminent:

Europe: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ed-in-nintendo-cyber-deals-sale-europe.154434
US: https://www.resetera.com/threads/na...ulls-of-the-shogun-tennis-in-the-face.154507/
General eShop thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-eshop-november-2019-no-money-to-catch-em-all.150492/

A few eShop hughlights off the top of my head:
Cadence of Hyrule
Untitled Goose Game
Into the Breach
Yoku's Island Express
Wondersong
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Slay the Spire

No - an individual membership applies only for the account in question, not any other accounts on the same system.

Have you tried looking into a return with Nintendo?
Thanks for reminding me. Got that going.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, picked up a Switch for Black Friday, so joining the club... but not yet! It's wrapped up as a surprise for the family on Christmas morning.

Some questions though:
  • As a WiiU / 3DS owner who had a Nintendo Network account, does that link any way to the switch? For example the games I bought on the WiiU Virtual Console service, do they transfer over?
  • If I make a purchase online on Nintendos eStore today, will it be there on my account when I log into the Switch on Christmas? I ask this because one of my sons most favorite games is Hyperlight Drifter... so I would love to buy the game today (since it is on a good discount) and then have it ready for him on Christmas morning.
  • Does the Switch do family sharing for the games, on the same device (like my "Home Xbox" can do)? Goes with the aforementioned Hyperlight Drifter... I don't know if I need to make him an account and buy it under his, or if I can simply buy it on my Nintendo account and then he can play it on his on the same switch?
As a new-to-be Switch owner coming from WiiU and 3DS, any tips I should know?

• I'm on the lookout for Switch exclusives, but not looking to double-dip on WiiU. I got Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi Mansion 3, and Mario + Rabbids for the initial Switch lineup. Not really looking for "Switch versions" as I have Xbox/Ps4/PC/etc, and I never intend to use the portability of the Switch (I'm one of the weirdos that wishes they made a TV-only version).
  • I got the newer switch in the red box, supposed to be better battery life.
  • I didn't need to buy a memory card or something, did I? My goal is to have as much physical games as possible, only switch exclusives, and maybe a few smaller digital titles like Hyperlight Drifter, Stardew Valley, and Golf Story.
  • I also got a second Wireless controller because I heard that Luigi Mansion 3 offers co-op. Hopefully that is good co-op and not Super Mario Galaxy 2 style co-op..?
Powering up my WiiU to check on my Nintendo ID reminded me of how awesome Affordable Space Adventures was, as the icon was staring me in the face. Man... been so long and I loved that system. Time for some Pikmin 3 to hold me over until I can open this Switch ;)

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone, picked up a Switch for Black Friday, so joining the club... but not yet! It's wrapped up as a surprise for the family on Christmas morning.

Some questions though:
  • As a WiiU / 3DS owner who had a Nintendo Network account, does that link any way to the switch? For example the games I bought on the WiiU Virtual Console service, do they transfer over?
  • If I make a purchase online on Nintendos eStore today, will it be there on my account when I log into the Switch on Christmas? I ask this because one of my sons most favorite games is Hyperlight Drifter... so I would love to buy the game today (since it is on a good discount) and then have it ready for him on Christmas morning.
  • Does the Switch do family sharing for the games, on the same device (like my "Home Xbox" can do)? Goes with the aforementioned Hyperlight Drifter... I don't know if I need to make him an account and buy it under his, or if I can simply buy it on my Nintendo account and then he can play it on his on the same switch?
As a new-to-be Switch owner coming from WiiU and 3DS, any tips I should know?

• I'm on the lookout for Switch exclusives, but not looking to double-dip on WiiU. I got Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi Mansion 3, and Mario + Rabbids for the initial Switch lineup. Not really looking for "Switch versions" as I have Xbox/Ps4/PC/etc, and I never intend to use the portability of the Switch (I'm one of the weirdos that wishes they made a TV-only version).
  • I got the newer switch in the red box, supposed to be better battery life.
  • I didn't need to buy a memory card or something, did I? My goal is to have as much physical games as possible, only switch exclusives, and maybe a few smaller digital titles like Hyperlight Drifter, Stardew Valley, and Golf Story.
  • I also got a second Wireless controller because I heard that Luigi Mansion 3 offers co-op. Hopefully that is good co-op and not Super Mario Galaxy 2 style co-op..?
Powering up my WiiU to check on my Nintendo ID reminded me of how awesome Affordable Space Adventures was, as the icon was staring me in the face. Man... been so long and I loved that system. Time for some Pikmin 3 to hold me over until I can open this Switch ;)

I'm not an expert, but...
  • Not sure, Switch doesn't really use NN accounts. Though I know you can't play Wii U games, and that includes VC
  • Problem is until you log into your Nintendo account on your Switch the online store won't let you buy Switch games
  • It's not really family sharing (that usually implies multiple devices) but on the same switch any account can play any game downloaded on that switch
    • You can make sub accounts to your primary account which is mostly for parental control type options
  • You may be surprised! What if someone is playing PS4 on that TV? No problem! Just grab the Switch and plop down on the couch
    • Good starting lineup... Mario Maker 2? Smash Bros Ultimate?
  • Wait, I thought you said you didn't care about the switch in handheld? ;)
  • You don't have to, and you should be fine to start. But you can get 128-256GB for $20-30 right now. That will last a long time...
    • You might want a screen protector. They're like $10. Plus the glass feel makes the switch feel more premium over its plastic screen
  • Haven't played Luigi's Mansion

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
What's a good third party TV adaptor for Switch? Really looking for a dongle style one that I can toss in bag rather than a dock/base. There's a few on Amazon with good reviews. Are these OK? Nintendo doesn't lock them out with firmware updates or anything do they?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Would you recommend a 4 slot charging dock for joy cons (I have 2 plus 2 more) or the charging grip? I figure the charging grip can keep 2 charged while I keep 2 docked on switch screen, plus it can be used as a 2nd controller...

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Holy heck I just bought a switch and it it has like 5+ plus stuck pixels (visable on black screens). Would nintendo fix this or would I be better of exchanging it the store I bought it from? I'm from Australia if that means anything.