• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
So I opened the new switch tonight. The left joy con stick seems a little loose to me. Like it feels like it's loose and moves around without me even pushing in any directions.

Is that normal feeling or are new sticks tight feeling? I'd have to return all of it for a joy con. Maybe call Nintendo are they good about stuff like that?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
So I opened the new switch tonight. The left joy con stick seems a little loose to me. Like it feels like it's loose and moves around without me even pushing in any directions.

Is that normal feeling or are new sticks tight feeling? I'd have to return all of it for a joy con. Maybe call Nintendo are they good about stuff like that?

Can anyone tell me if it's normal to have some play in the analog stick without actually making your character move? Like a little bit of give/movement before it registers moving the joystick?

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Has anyone sent their Switch for physical damage repair? I want to know how much you'd have to pay. I was an idiot and didn't pick up a screen protector when I bought it, and have gotten a few nicks on the screen since. They're not obtrusive, but now that I have some extra cash I'm considering sending it for repair.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Has anyone sent their Switch for physical damage repair? I want to know how much you'd have to pay. I was an idiot and didn't pick up a screen protector when I bought it, and have gotten a few nicks on the screen since. They're not obtrusive, but now that I have some extra cash I'm considering sending it for repair.
What region are you in? For the UK at least, you can call them for an estimate, and there used to be a price list somewhere on the Service Centre website.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
What region are you in? For the UK at least, you can call them for an estimate, and there used to be a price list somewhere on the Service Centre website.
The US, but I did go on their website and chose the physical damage repair option and the price was basically $100. Might as well get a Lite for a $100 more. I wonder if calling them would change that price?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I bought my son a switch lite (he's 6). I have a switch with my own account, downloaded games. I bought him Pokemon and Minecraft carts (he needs to open, not digital!). So how should I set his up?

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
The US, but I did go on their website and chose the physical damage repair option and the price was basically $100. Might as well get a Lite for a $100 more. I wonder if calling them would change that price?
My experience (again, in the UK) is that they have fixed prices for repairs and at best they might offer two tiers (major/minor). This is with a 3DS rather than a Switch, but I'd expect the same principle to apply. Of course, a call can't do any harm, so feel free to try.

Also consider third party services - they're likely to be significantly cheaper and will usually still offer some form of warranty

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My left joycon has started drifting 😫 I was playing LttP in handheld mode yesterday, and suddenly Link starts moving up all by himself. I was able to get it to stop pretty quickly, but it happened two more times after that. My Switch isn't even that old! It's been almost exactly 12 months since I got it.

I know it's only going to get worse over time. Would something like the Hori dpad joycon be a good option as a temporary replacement for when I eventually have to send my left joycon to Nintendo?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My left joycon has started drifting 😫 I was playing LttP in handheld mode yesterday, and suddenly Link starts moving up all by himself. I was able to get it to stop pretty quickly, but it happened two more times after that. My Switch isn't even that old! It's been almost exactly 12 months since I got it.

I know it's only going to get worse over time. Would something like the Hori dpad joycon be a good option as a temporary replacement for when I eventually have to send my left joycon to Nintendo?

Should be fine as long as you don't need to detach it (the Hori joycon only works attached, not wireless)

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed the Final Fantasy titles are on sale, are there any problems with any of the ports? I'm interested in all of em but 7 and 8 in particular.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Hi OT ppl, anyone have any suggestions on a Switch carrying case? If you can game on it, sure, but im looking to carry it more securely mostly.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In order to deregister an account from a Switch, does it need to be done through the console itself or can it be done online?

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great, thanks! I'm curious about the wording here though --
  • If you don't have access to the primary console, you can deactivate a console from your Nintendo Account remotely; however, this can only be done once per year.​
Does that mean you can only deregister once per year or is that once per year solely for remote deregister? Anyone have experience with this?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
can someone kindly run through the way digital games are shared? My son is at university so might want a switch, and most of our games are digital so I'd like to share them with him if possible.
- my account buys all the games.
- main switch at home is used 90% at home so has WiFi access if it needs to authenticate
- our main switch at home needs to also support my daughters account - she plays it perhaps as much as me.

- sons would be maybe 90% at his dorm which has wifi although I don't know if it has issues with authentication - I'll check
- both would need occasional use offline - mine for train/occasional flights. His for train travel home. But we can work around that part.

biggest issue I can see is that there are two secondary accounts (son, daughter) that will want to play games but on different switches.

I'm open to which is the primary but hopefully it's doable. With PlayStation I found 'family sharing' was actually not super practical for a family to share multiple consoles and Actually worked better as 'two single people gaming the system' which seems counter productive

Last edited:

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of buying a Nintendo Switch, but the joy-con drift issue scares me. How likely is it to happen? Can it be prevented?

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm thinking of buying a Nintendo Switch, but the joy-con drift issue scares me. How likely is it to happen? Can it be prevented?

I don't think it can necessarily be prevented, it seems to be an inherent flaw with the design of the joysticks. I think that the likeliness is random as well. Although, if you are planning on buying the regular Switch, I would jump in and not let the drifting issue deter you from it! Earlier this year, Nintendo began offering free repairs, even if the problematic Joy-Con is no longer under warranty.

It happened to my right Yellow Joy-Con before the repair policy change went into effect, but I have yet to contact Nintendo about it. Rather than pay the reportedly near retail cost of a Joy-Con in order to get it repaired, I had purchased a Pro Controller. The joystick drift, if any, on this controller is way less common. I mostly play my Switch in TV Mode anyways, so the confinement that comes with the Pro Controller has not affected me at all.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it can necessarily be prevented, it seems to be an inherent flaw with the design of the joysticks. I think that the likeliness is random as well. Although, if you are planning on buying the regular Switch, I would jump in and not let the drifting issue deter you from it! Earlier this year, Nintendo began offering free repairs, even if the problematic Joy-Con is no longer under warranty.

It happened to my right Yellow Joy-Con before the repair policy change went into effect, but I have yet to contact Nintendo about it. Rather than pay the reportedly near retail cost of a Joy-Con in order to get it repaired, I had purchased a Pro Controller. The joystick drift, if any, on this controller is way less common. I mostly play my Switch in TV Mode anyways, so the confinement that comes with the Pro Controller has not affected me at all.

Hmm, I want to buy a Switch so I can play it outside of my home. So buying a pro controller is no option for me. Such a shame that Nintendo didn't fix this issue with the new Switch. I'll have to think about it. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hmm, I want to buy a Switch so I can play it outside of my home. So buying a pro controller is no option for me. Such a shame that Nintendo didn't fix this issue with the new Switch. I'll have to think about it. Thanks!

You're welcome! Purchasing a Pro Controller isn't absolutely necessary, it was just a personal choice of mine. For my preferred play-style, I find it more convenient to be able to use the traditional controller and just use the included USB cable to charge it when needed. When it comes to using the standard Joy-Con Grip included with the Switch, the only way to charge the Joy-Con is to remove them from the grip, connect them to the Switch, and let them juice up.

On the topic of Joy-Con drift, it began to occur about a year into owning the affected Joy-Con. So speaking from experience, I do not see it being an issue that would crop up soon after you start using it.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I got my son Pokemon sword for Xmas (he's 6). Is there any multiplayer/reason for me to get it also to play with his?

Side note: the lite is freaking awesome. So portable

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I got my son Pokemon sword for Xmas (he's 6). Is there any multiplayer/reason for me to get it also to play with his?

Side note: the lite is freaking awesome. So portable
It's mainly a single-player game, but there is some multi-player functionality. This seems to be a decent summary: https://www.gamespew.com/2019/11/do...hield-have-any-multiplayer-or-co-op-features/

If you do choose to buy another copy, get Pokemon Shield rather than another copy of Sword. This will allow trading of the pokemon that are exclusive to each version of the game.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How is language support on switch games? In japan at the moment and considering getting ring fit and maybe pokemon - but will they have full English language support?

Also considering the tatacon for taiko no tatsujin- I assume the western version of the game will still work with the accessory? I don't know if it ever got released in Europe

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, well. Apparently the Switch Lite and Mariko units have been cracked wide open by Team Xecuter. I won't post any videos or links to their proof of the hack, because it's a company that specializes in piracy, but... that's quite an unexpected turn of events.

PS: It's a hardware solution (aka "modchip"), not software-based like the one we have now.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, well. Apparently the Switch Lite and Mariko units have been cracked wide open by Team Xecuter. I won't post any videos or links to their proof of the hack, because it's a company that specializes in piracy, but... that's quite an unexpected turn of events.

PS: It's a hardware solution (aka "modchip"), not software-based like the one we have now.

Ugh, gross. I guess the only good news is that it's a hardware solution so hopefully it's complicated and we don't have a repeat of the end of DS where piracy was so easily accessible that software sales fell off a cliff.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm really mulling the question, should I get the Pro Controller or the 8BitDo SN30 Pro Plus?

In favor of the Pro Controller, I can turn on the Switch with a push of the Home button, on the other hand, in order to grab the controller I will have to walk right up to the console, and, is it true that the 8BitDo is so good?

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
the d-pad is better, but other than that its mostly personal preference stuff like analog stick positioning, so if you play a lot of d-pad centered games and like symmetrical sticks the sn30 is better

Pythoneer

Oct 27, 2017
So i'm about to buy a Nintendo Switch Lite. It's my first Nintendo product since the Game Boy Advance. Any game recommendations? Thanks in advance!

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Dropped mine on the left joy con which came apart :( that joy con no longer charges or registers in portable mode, really hoping the replacement I ordered will work. Pretty nervous!

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't looked in a year or two.. Are third party docks still at risk of bricking your Switch? Are there any that won't brick it, or is it best just to get an official dock? I'm looking at getting a second dock and it seems like the insignia dock might be a good choice, but I don't want to risk bricking. I did a little research and it sounds like the problem that cuases it is known.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
How is the Switch Lite for drift? I'm just about to self repair my standard joycons but I wouldn't feel happy opening up an entire unit to fix them. Would really love a lite on the go.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I haven't looked in a year or two.. Are third party docks still at risk of bricking your Switch? Are there any that won't brick it, or is it best just to get an official dock? I'm looking at getting a second dock and it seems like the insignia dock might be a good choice, but I don't want to risk bricking. I did a little research and it sounds like the problem that cuases it is known.
It's related to whether an appropriate resistor is included in the USB-C cable, I believe, so could still be an issue depending on which you use. I can't comment on specific models
How is the Switch Lite for drift? I'm just about to self repair my standard joycons but I wouldn't feel happy opening up an entire unit to fix them. Would really love a lite on the go.
Too early to say just now - issues with the original Switch generally took about a year to start showing up. Are you aware that Nintendo will typically repair joy-cons affected by drift for free, even out of warranty?

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
It's related to whether an appropriate resistor is included in the USB-C cable, I believe, so could still be an issue depending on which you use. I can't comment on specific models

Too early to say just now - issues with the original Switch generally took about a year to start showing up. Are you aware that Nintendo will typically repair joy-cons affected by drift for free, even out of warranty?

Thanks, I ended up buying a refurbished official dock from Nintendo earlier today.. didn't want to risk it.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
can anyone help me with this question please, i'm very confused.

I have my own switch with many games that i've bought.

my stepdaughter started playing botw a few months ago and has a 200+ hour save file on my switch. For her birthday in a few weeks my wife and i were thinking about getting her her own switch.

QUESTIONS:

- if i log in on the new switch with my account, will the kid be able to access botw and her save game file? would i need to get the nintendo online thing? i dont currently have it

- if so, what restrictions will there be on her console (wifi check-ins or something similar)?

- will there be any restrictions on my switch?

- i saw something that was saying the two consoles can't both be playing games at the same time? what exactly does that mean?

edit: i read through the nintendo faq again. can anyone confirm i'm reading this right?

I can share my account/games with another switch console. my switch (the primary) will have no restrictions if i turn the wifi off. On the kid's switch, she will have full access to all my games as long as she has a wifi connection. if i get nintendo online she will have easy access to her botw save file on her switch.

if that is all correct, maybe the best thing to do would be to make her switch the primary and mine the secondary so i need the wifi connection and she doesn't. its unlikely i would ever play my switch in a place where i wouldn't have wifi, i could see situations where she would play hers without wifi though.

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
can anyone help me with this question please, i'm very confused.

I have my own switch with many games that i've bought.

my stepdaughter started playing botw a few months ago and has a 200+ hour save file on my switch. For her birthday in a few weeks my wife and i were thinking about getting her her own switch.

QUESTIONS:

- if i log in on the new switch with my account, will the kid be able to access botw and her save game file? would i need to get the nintendo online thing? i dont currently have it

- if so, what restrictions will there be on her console (wifi check-ins or something similar)?

- will there be any restrictions on my switch?

- i saw something that was saying the two consoles can't both be playing games at the same time? what exactly does that mean?

edit: i read through the nintendo faq again. can anyone confirm i'm reading this right?

I can share my account/games with another switch console. my switch (the primary) will have no restrictions if i turn the wifi off. On the kid's switch, she will have full access to all my games as long as she has a wifi connection. if i get nintendo online she will have easy access to her botw save file on her switch.

if that is all correct, maybe the best thing to do would be to make her switch the primary and mine the secondary so i need the wifi connection and she doesn't. its unlikely i would ever play my switch in a place where i wouldn't have wifi, i could see situations where she would play hers without wifi though.
I assume that you're intending to use the same Nintendo account on both systems? If so, your understanding is correct. If you subscribe to the online service, note that you won't both be able to play online at the same time.

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a solution for the Switch Lite dpad so it registers diagonal inputs better? I play dbfz on the go to practice and i notice that when i do quarter circle inputs, that it wont register sometimes.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Question:
Do profiles on the Switch really make a difference? Like I can set one profile to be a child profile and another to be mine? If yes, do I need to create separate Nintendo accounts for each profile? Can two profiles link to one online account?

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me if it's normal to have some play in the analog stick without actually making your character move? Like a little bit of give/movement before it registers moving the joystick?
My stick is also like that, but nintendo customer service is top notch and they might send you another one if you reach out.

The joy cons are absolute garbage tier controllers though. Even the ones that aren't broken feel awful.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
My stick is also like that, but nintendo customer service is top notch and they might send you another one if you reach out.

The joy cons are absolute garbage tier controllers though. Even the ones that aren't broken feel awful.

I took them back and got a new set. These ones are better but 3/4 buttons make clicking noises when pushed, only one is silent.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany

It is not unlikely, but complaints on the internet will always give a false impression of these likelihoods. People with no problems won't go to forums to complain, so they are not visible. I only occasionally have a little drift on my left one that stays for seconds at most and disappears, but I have seen this with different controllers from other console generations too, my tiny drift is not specific to the joycons.

Haven't even bought a second pair yet, only considering one now for RFA. As no Switch owner around me has reported drift I assume it's likelihood is mildly exaggerated. It's not as bad as with the N64 analog sticks which inevitably became unusable.

I would not let this keep me away from buying a Switch. The versatility of the joycons is actually awesome. If this is a budget question however it should not be a problem if you have to send them in or buy a second pair at some point (also makes sense for multiplayer though). As someone who is careful about purchases I would stay away from the Lite though, not only due to the possibility of drift.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone else had crashing issues with games that run pretty "intense" online features? I just finished Daemon X Machina and it crashed on me several times while playing online. I assume this is the strain of loading or streaming so much causing the console to overheat and crash. Pokemon Sword and Shield gave me this issue too when playing online.

It's not happened lots, but these two are the ones I've had this happen with.

Slathe

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone here super well versed in the account system? I'm trying to learn about it and having a hard time. I have two consoles, both with their own nintendo account, mine and my GFs. She doesn't have any downloaded games or anything, only has an account because we played splatoon 2 together. I want to be able to play my games on both consoles. Would I just make a new version of my account on her console and then make that console a non-primary for my account? If so, would her account then still be able to access her Splatoon content on her account, and use my games on my account (with non-primary restrictions) if she wanted?

I've been over the Nintendo FAQ a bunch and for some reason it's just not clicking for me, so any help would be appreciated.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Anyone here super well versed in the account system? I'm trying to learn about it and having a hard time. I have two consoles, both with their own nintendo account, mine and my GFs. She doesn't have any downloaded games or anything, only has an account because we played splatoon 2 together. I want to be able to play my games on both consoles. Would I just make a new version of my account on her console and then make that console a non-primary for my account? If so, would her account then still be able to access her Splatoon content on her account, and use my games on my account (with non-primary restrictions) if she wanted?

I've been over the Nintendo FAQ a bunch and for some reason it's just not clicking for me, so any help would be appreciated.
Generally yes, the key restriction being that to play on the non-primary system it will need to do an online check each time before launching a game. Also, you won't both be able to play online at the same time.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Guys, help me out :(

Just got a Switch Lite, I'm really liking it! But I'm having a problem with accounts. I have two Nintendo accounts (Japan [where I live now] and Mexico [where I'm from, this is my old Nintendo account]), and I use both on my old Switch. Sometimes I buy from one account, sometimes from the other - but I can access all games using either account. So I added both of my accounts on my Lite, but now I can only play games through the user who purchased the game. This is a problem because most if not all my save files are on the JP account (which also has Nintendo Online). Am I completely screwed? Is this because my old Switch is still my "main" system, and will things be okay if I make the Lite my main system?

There's another thing that terrifies me - my most played game is Mortal Kombat 11. My save file is on my JP account, but I bought the DLC from the MX one since, well, MK11 was not released here. I'm now fearing MK11 on my Like will always lack the DLC due to account issues :(
---

Okay, setting my Lite as my primary system seems to have worked. Will try MK11 tomorrow.

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Anyone had any issues with the Switch Lite Joy Con yet? Just curious
It's probably too early for any issues to show up en masse - it generally took about a year for this with the original model.

Guys, help me out :(

Just got a Switch Lite, I'm really liking it! But I'm having a problem with accounts. I have two Nintendo accounts (Japan [where I live now] and Mexico [where I'm from, this is my old Nintendo account]), and I use both on my old Switch. Sometimes I buy from one account, sometimes from the other - but I can access all games using either account. So I added both of my accounts on my Lite, but now I can only play games through the user who purchased the game. This is a problem because most if not all my save files are on the JP account (which also has Nintendo Online). Am I completely screwed? Is this because my old Switch is still my "main" system, and will things be okay if I make the Lite my main system?

There's another thing that terrifies me - my most played game is Mortal Kombat 11. My save file is on my JP account, but I bought the DLC from the MX one since, well, MK11 was not released here. I'm now fearing MK11 on my Like will always lack the DLC due to account issues :(
---

Okay, setting my Lite as my primary system seems to have worked. Will try MK11 tomorrow.
It looks like you've probably worked this out now, but the crux of the issue is that to play games on a non-primary system, online verification is needed each time you launch a game.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's probably too early for any issues to show up en masse - it generally took about a year for this with the original model.

It looks like you've probably worked this out now, but the crux of the issue is that to play games on a non-primary system, online verification is needed each time you launch a game.
Yup, no issues so far.

And wow, I don't see myself going back to my Switch phat at all, I might have to sell it after all.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
So i was playing my pokemon on my switch lite yesterday everything was working fine, now this morning the game wont start , put smash game work but screen is all weird, tried a digital game and it work, put my pokemon card in the og switch and it work :(

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Does anybody know if DLC from the US eShop would work with a game I purchased in the UK? For example I have a copy of Pokemon Sword from the UK but I live in the USA and I'd like to purchase the expansion pass but I'm worried it won't be compatible if I buy it from the US eShop.