• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I changed some internet settings to manual instead of automatic, but I honestly don't remember which ones, lol. It never happens anymore, but then, now I always set my Switch to airplane mode (it really helps with battery life) and activate WiFi only if I'm about to use it, so who knows :x
As long as we both don't have faulty units lol I'll toy around with the settings.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
so it seems like without warning the A and B buttons on my pro controller have gotten really mushy and sort of stick down longer than they should. Is this common? Is there an easy fix or am I gonna need to take this thing apart? I tried using rubbing alcohol on the sides of the buttons but it really hasn't changed anything.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in need of a new game for the Switch, now that I'm nearing the end of Torna

• Xenoblade + DLC
  • Octopath
  • Mario
  • Zelda
  • Mario Kart
That's what I've got for the moment, and I'm looking for a nice time waster with a ton of content. I have most, if not all the indies on Steam, so I'm mostly looking for first party stuff. Kinda eyeing Ys, Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in need of a new game for the Switch, now that I'm nearing the end of Torna

• Xenoblade + DLC
  • Octopath
  • Mario
  • Zelda
  • Mario Kart
That's what I've got for the moment, and I'm looking for a nice time waster with a ton of content. I have most, if not all the indies on Steam, so I'm mostly looking for first party stuff. Kinda eyeing Ys, Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong

For a third take on the JRPG genre, I'd recommend Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I'm just getting to the former myself, but the latter will last you some 50+ hours. As a fan of Fire Emblem and other SRPGs who's new to VC, the series has taken me by surprise with how fun it is. There's a lengthy demo of VC4 available on the eShop.

That said, I've also heard great things about Ys from people whose opinions I trust, and it would certainly be a little more in the vein of XB2, being an action JRPG.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could give Starlink: Battle for Atlas a try -- by the looks of it, the game is basically Zelda IN SPACE!

The Star Fox stuff is super enticing, honestly, but I'm going to play the waiting game and see if it drops harder than Rabbids, and given that it's StarFox and the fact that the game is multiplatform, I'd assume a price drop is going to come sooner than later.

For a third take on the JRPG genre, I'd recommend Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I'm just getting to the former myself, but the latter will last you some 50+ hours. As a fan of Fire Emblem and other SRPGs who's new to VC, the series has taken me by surprise with how fun it is. There's a lengthy demo of VC4 available on the eShop.

That said, I've also heard great things about Ys from people whose opinions I trust, and it would certainly be a little more in the vein of XB2, being an action JRPG.

I've got VC1 on PC and some of the sexual stuff at the expense of female cast members in VC4 is kinda off putting to me. I get that there are things like that in XBC2, but Tora is played up as a comedic relief character and I personally didn't care for him all too much either. VC4 is a little more grounded in their design choices, but what I've seen is way more of a turn-off than XBC2 honestly. :s

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I've got VC1 on PC and some of the sexual stuff at the expense of female cast members in VC4 is kinda off putting to me. I get that there are things like that in XBC2, but Tora is played up as a comedic relief character and I personally didn't care for him all too much either. VC4 is a little more grounded in their design choices, but what I've seen is way more of a turn-off than XBC2 honestly. :s

Agreed about the exploitation and sexualization; I think it goes without saying that both VC4 and XB2 would be improved without them. I was talking mostly from a gameplay perspective, and the overall story of VC4 remains compelling.

I'm about to beat the main story, and in my experience, the one infamous butt grab in the beginning is the worst the game has to offer — basically the only sexually exploitative action. Aside from that, the women's winter costumes are eyerolling in that they barely change compared to the men's, there've been maybe two instances of the camera ogling a female character that I recall (and I'm fairly sensitive to it; it's my biggest complaint with XB2 and Fire Emblem), and Raz makes a few inappropriately fratty comments.

Raz's antics are treated more disdainfully than Tora's are by the characters, though, and eventually he does get character growth and become a little more likable. I'd say XB2's sexualization and camera angles are far more distracting, overall, because they're ever-present, although it's also a great game if one can enjoy it despite that.

VC4's scene is actually pretty weird, in that it's never referenced again outside of the beach DLC, and could have been cut entirely without any effect on the character interactions.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
im getting this. New switch owner.
Did you figure out what was causing this?

I changed some internet settings to manual instead of automatic, but I honestly don't remember which ones, lol. It never happens anymore, but then, now I always set my Switch to airplane mode (it really helps with battery life) and activate WiFi only if I'm about to use it, so who knows :x

Just adding some info, Nintendo has this in their description for that error code, sounds latency / router compatibility related.
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25859/~/error-code:-2811-1006

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed about the exploitation and sexualization; I think it goes without saying that both VC4 and XB2 would be improved without them. I was talking mostly from a gameplay perspective, and the overall story of VC4 remains compelling.

I'm about to beat the main story, and in my experience, the one infamous butt grab in the beginning is the worst the game has to offer — basically the only sexually exploitative action. Aside from that, the women's winter costumes are eyerolling in that they barely change compared to the men's, there've been maybe two instances of the camera ogling a female character that I recall (and I'm fairly sensitive to it; it's my biggest complaint with XB2 and Fire Emblem), and Raz makes a few inappropriately fratty comments.

Raz's antics are treated more disdainfully than Tora's are by the characters, though, and eventually he does get character growth and become a little more likable. I'd say XB2's sexualization and camera angles are far more distracting, overall, because they're ever-present, although it's also a great game if one can enjoy it despite that.

VC4's scene is actually pretty weird, in that it's never referenced again outside of the beach DLC, and could have been cut entirely without any effect on the character interactions.

Thanks for the response, it's nice to hear a balanced critique of a game on here without someone simply just gushing over it. I'll look more into VC4, thanks again!

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
So I am itching for an rpg, or rpg-like. I've already bought a lot of the obvious ones. So I am torn between these

• Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (I played one of them on 3ds, loved it)
  • The Banner Saga trilogy (Never played any of them, looks great)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna (xbc2, but I ended up really disliking the characters and the story. Does this one has new worlds?)
  • Lost Sphear (I liked I am Setsuna, didn't like the demo for this much)
  • Code of Princess Ex (I love Guardian Heroes, but this didn't review that well)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So I am itching for an rpg, or rpg-like. I've already bought a lot of the obvious ones. So I am torn between these

• Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (I played one of them on 3ds, loved it)
  • The Banner Saga trilogy (Never played any of them, looks great)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna (xbc2, but I ended up really disliking the characters and the story. Does this one has new worlds?)
  • Lost Sphear (I liked I am Setsuna, didn't like the demo for this much)
  • Code of Princess Ex (I love Guardian Heroes, but this didn't review that well)

Torna has two titan areas, one of which is completely new, and takes place 500 years in the past. Its playable cast is mostly different from the original game, with only Mythra and the two later tank blades returning. I wouldn't normally recommend playing it before the original, just because of spoilers, but if you don't intend to play the original, Torna could probably act as an okay standalone — though several of its characters' fates are not re-shown, so you may be left confused and wanting by the end, depending on how far you made it in XB2. Whether you would like the game to begin with, when you disliked XB2, is difficult to say; its tone is a little darker and more mature.

I'm just playing The Banner Saga 1, and almost everything about it is wonderful. The art style, the choice-based narrative divergences, the characters — all great. The combat, while certainly tactical, feels a bit dry, though, and the map designs are non-existent: just uniform grids with zero terrain. It isn't unenjoyable by any means, but it's not exactly what I'd call fun, even as a huge SRPG fan. Perhaps those two facets are improved in the sequels.

Lost Sphear really shouldn't be on your radar outside of a major sale, IMO. Trust your instincts with its demo.

As far as games not on your list: have you played Cosmic Star Heroine, Battle Chasers, Valkyria Chronicles 1 / 4, or West of Loathing? Highly recommend all of them. You say you've bought some obvious ones, so I assume that might mean Octopath and maybe Mario + Rabbids, which are both fantastic as well. I hear good things about Ys VIII. Earthlock is an okay indie RPG — I'd definitely recommend it more than Lost Sphear — and World of Final Fantasy comes out in a few weeks.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, I must say that I am very grateful, you've not only replied to my question, but you've given me a very thoughtful reply.

About Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I actually started skipping all the cutscenes after a while. What I did not like was the anime-chicée nature of both the characters themselves, but also the overall story. If I do buy Torna, it will be to wander around in a new world, and experience some nice battles. And, I was unclear when I wrote my post, but I did complete Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Your reply made the game move higher on my wanted list :)

About Banner Saga, I kind of got that impression from the game too. The best srpg games I have played, are Tactics Ogre on psp and Shining Force 2. I am norwegian, so the Viking-inspired world is not as interesting to me, as Vikings are something I've heard about a lot during school / education. If I do buy it, it would be for the gameplay.

It's a shame about Lost Sphear, I bought and liked I am Setsuna. But year, my gut impression on this latest Tokyo RPG factory game, is, well a game coming from a factory. Kind of devoid of any soul, if you get what I am trying to write. Thanks for letting me know I should stay away.

I have all the other games you mentioned, except West of Loathing & Earthlock. I'll google the games later :)

Again, thank you for your time.

Btw, I thought I should add some information about what I often do, or do not like in rpgs.

++ Grown up characters
++ Possible to grind (I like grinding, and I am not a skilled player)
++ turn based or tactics tun based
++ action rpgs
+ colorful worlds
+ unique settings / worlds
+ a nice story, but without much chatter

-- Fanservice / anime chichées
- hard games
- real time tactics
- generic in a way that makes it feel like I've seen the same characters many times before

Torna has two titan areas, one of which is completely new, and takes place 500 years in the past. Its playable cast is mostly different from the original game, with only Mythra and the two later tank blades returning. I wouldn't normally recommend playing it before the original, just because of spoilers, but if you don't intend to play the original, Torna could probably act as an okay standalone — though several of its characters' fates are not re-shown, so you may be left confused and wanting by the end, depending on how far you made it in XB2. Whether you would like the game to begin with, when you disliked XB2, is difficult to say; its tone is a little darker and more mature.

I'm just playing The Banner Saga 1, and almost everything about it is wonderful. The art style, the choice-based narrative divergences, the characters — all great. The combat, while certainly tactical, feels a bit dry, though, and the map designs are non-existent: just uniform grids with zero terrain. It isn't unenjoyable by any means, but it's not exactly what I'd call fun, even as a huge SRPG fan. Perhaps those two facets are improved in the sequels.

Lost Sphear really shouldn't be on your radar outside of a major sale, IMO. Trust your instincts with its demo.

As far as games not on your list: have you played Cosmic Star Heroine, Battle Chasers, Valkyria Chronicles 1 / 4, or West of Loathing? Highly recommend all of them. You say you've bought some obvious ones, so I assume that might mean Octopath and maybe Mario + Rabbids, which are both fantastic as well. I hear good things about Ys VIII. Earthlock is an okay indie RPG — I'd definitely recommend it more than Lost Sphear — and World of Final Fantasy comes out in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat Torna, and I definitely now have no idea why anyone would ever recommend that it's playable before Xenoblade 2. The game is so much richer, and you miss out on the atmosphere of the game damn near entirely.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Question about game sharing.

I have an account. I buy all the games.

My boy has an account. He plays on the Switch.

If he gets a Switch, can he get hold of my games to play on his Switch on his account?

The impression I get is that he has to use my account? Which would make game saves a bit weird.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

If he gets a Switch, can he get hold of my games to play on his Switch on his account?

The impression I get is that he has to use my account? Which would make game saves a bit weird.
He would have to use your account. That means you wouldn't be able to use the account while he uses it. Account can be active on one Switch at a time.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

Create profiles for both of you on his Switch. Link your profile to your account and download your games. Set his Switch as your "primary." He can now play your games with his profile while you play on your Switch.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Was wondering how my friends and I can chat while playing online at the same time?
I know there is the Hori Splatoon 2 headset but is there any other solutions? We just want to be able to talk, on discord, and play together on switch...

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017
Hey SwitchERA. So I'm finally getting my Switch next month, I've got the Pokemon edition preordered. I've got a question about buying from other regions. My Nintendo Account is set as Japan - as the console comes with a digital code and not a physical version - but how do I go about buying from a different eShop? Is it like the PS4 when any game bought by any account on the console is accessible interchangeably?

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Hey SwitchERA. So I'm finally getting my Switch next month, I've got the Pokemon edition preordered. I've got a question about buying from other regions. My Nintendo Account is set as Japan - as the console comes with a digital code and not a physical version - but how do I go about buying from a different eShop? Is it like the PS4 when any game bought by any account on the console is accessible interchangeably?

Just make another account with that region or switch existing region (you can't if you tie a CC to it though).

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
List of games published by Nintendo:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1-2-Switch
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Pokkén Tournament DX[65]
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Snipperclips Plus
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Dragon Quest Builders
Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition[A]
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 01 - Variety Kit
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 02 - Robot Kit
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
Mario Tennis Aces
Octopath Traveler
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Go Vacation[A] Bandai Namco Studios July 27, 2018 July 27, 2018 July 27, 2018
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 03 - Vehicle Kit
Super Mario Party
The World Ends with You: Final Remix[A]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_products#Nintendo_Switch

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Does anyone here have experience with using the Ipega 9083 with the Switch? I'm thinking of getting one for a more comfortable portable experience and an actual dpad. I'm mostly curious about dpad/stick quality and I'm aware of the face buttons being reversed.

Nov 11, 2017
My first week with the Switch and I am loving it so far. Used it for travel (Vancouver to London) and now in a hotel as well.

Playing mostly Into The Breach and I really love this game. Back when I heard the developer was working on this game instead of FTL 2 (FTL is GOAT!!) I was disappointed, but you can really feel that this was made by the same team. Even though it's completely different, there is a lot of similarities in the challenge, constant threat, complex systems. Keeps you on your toes in the same way. I still haven't beaten the damn final boss yet though, and this is on easy. Much like FTL I have no clue how I will beat this game on normal mode (but one day… I WILL)

I am a bit surprised that I am not wanting to play Mario Odyssey at all. I have got just past NDC. As much as I love the variety in the game, it just presents no challenge whatsoever to me. The aesthetic is also not really doing it for me (feels more like a Sonic game than a Mario game.. I am sorry :p). I guess I should have expected this, but I somehow wish I could relive what I had with 64/Sunshine in a new game.

Question - My battery is always dead the next day. Is this because I put it on 'standby' (one click of the button) instead of manually turning it off? I turned it off last night so I guess I will find it out later today..

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
My first week with the Switch and I am loving it so far. Used it for travel (Vancouver to London) and now in a hotel as well.

Playing mostly Into The Breach and I really love this game. Back when I heard the developer was working on this game instead of FTL 2 (FTL is GOAT!!) I was disappointed, but you can really feel that this was made by the same team. Even though it's completely different, there is a lot of similarities in the challenge, constant threat, complex systems. Keeps you on your toes in the same way. I still haven't beaten the damn final boss yet though, and this is on easy. Much like FTL I have no clue how I will beat this game on normal mode (but one day… I WILL)

I am a bit surprised that I am not wanting to play Mario Odyssey at all. I have got just past NDC. As much as I love the variety in the game, it just presents no challenge whatsoever to me. The aesthetic is also not really doing it for me (feels more like a Sonic game than a Mario game.. I am sorry :p). I guess I should have expected this, but I somehow wish I could relive what I had with 64/Sunshine in a new game.

Question - My battery is always dead the next day. Is this because I put it on 'standby' (one click of the button) instead of manually turning it off? I turned it off last night so I guess I will find it out later today..

What percentage are you leaving your Switch at overnight? It'll lose battery in sleep mode, but it should only be a few points overnight. It's no Vita, but its sleep mode is pretty efficient.

Nov 11, 2017
Definitely shouldn't be dying in those circumstances. Could it be that it isn't in airplane mode, and thus is constantly searching for WiFi in the safe?
very possible, I will check. Does it look for wifi and do updates while in standby? If so it is probably continually searching because I couldn't seem to get it on the hotel wifi (annoying click through thing for each wifi connection, per day)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
very possible, I will check. Does it look for wifi and do updates while in standby? If so it is probably continually searching because I couldn't seem to get it on the hotel wifi (annoying click through thing for each wifi connection, per day)

I'm unsure about its WiFi seeking behavior, but that's the only explanation I can think of for it dying from 40% in less than a day, short of a faulty battery, or it not being in sleep mode.

Mine's been sleeping for a couple days, off the charger and in airplane mode, and it's at 83%.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I am considering opening a Japanese account for Puyo Puyo eSports, which is currently at a 75% discount until 30th November (so it will be 500 yen). While I am getting it, I will also get one of the Picross games. I need to ask a few things:

1. If I get a Nintendo Switch Online subscription, do I need to get separate subscriptions for different regions? Puyo Puyo eSports' has online so it's important to know.
  2. Am I able to use the same email address for a Japanese account?
Thank you for reading.