• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Hey folks, I have a question regarding digital code for the Nintendo Switch/eShop.

I'm in France and would like to buy digital code on Amazon since it's a bit cheaper than paying on the eShop. Thing is, I'm not sure a code bought digitally on Amazon US is going to work on the French eShop.

What do you think about this?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'm in France and would like to buy digital code on Amazon since it's a bit cheaper than paying on the eShop. Thing is, I'm not sure a code bought digitally on Amazon US is going to work on the French eShop.
I bought a digital code from Amazon Japan, and was able to redeem it with my US-based account. I had to go to nintendo.com to change my region from USA to JP, but once I got into the Japan eShop the code worked. After I downloaded the game I switched it back and everything's hunky-dory.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a digital code from Amazon Japan, and was able to redeem it with my US-based account. I had to go to nintendo.com to change my region from USA to JP, but once I got into the Japan eShop the code worked. After I downloaded the game I switched it back and everything's hunky-dory.

Oh, you can change your region and access other eShop as easily as this? I thought once your account was created with a given region, it was lock. ^^

Thanks for the answer, definitely getting a digital code from Amazon then, it's not much cheaper, but I still get something like 20$, so it's always good to take.

Or do you feel like there is any other better way to get cheaper price for digital content?

Thank you again for the given answer, really helps! :D

Oct 26, 2017
Smash Pro Controller already having problems. The start button is resessed/ hard to press. Paint is also coming off.

If it's not one thing on these controllers, it's always something else.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
What are some of the best eShop exclusive games? As in, stuff you can't get physical, or on other platforms.
The only one I know is Golf Story, and I'd love recommendations.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my switch last night for Xmas. Played a little Mario kart and had fun. But is everything unlocked? I want to unlock things or have something to strive for when playing?
Side thought I really wish they had trophies or achievements.
Picked up Mario and rabbids pretty excited for that.

Also are there any demos on the shop? So many game series I've never heard of I wouldn't mind trying without buying.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Would you include games that are only available on Switch and PC, no other consoles? Or strictly Steam only?

Fully exclusive. I have all other platforms, and I usually play docked, so portability isn't a selling point, and I'd prefer physical if available.
So yeah, I guess fully download exclusive. The CV Adventure Rebirth of Switch games, if you will.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Fully exclusive. I have all other platforms, and I usually play docked, so portability isn't a selling point, and I'd prefer physical if available.
So yeah, I guess fully download exclusive. The CV Adventure Rebirth of Switch games, if you will.
Okay. I'm not sure that there are too many notable games that are only available on Switch, digitally (someone's going to come along and correct me on this, I suspect!), but off the top of my head, I'd recommend Fast RMX and Bomb Chicken.

You may want to try asking in the eShop thread as well as here - it's significantly more active.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I am so close to selling my PS4 and going Switch only.
I have so little free time these days and the Switch with games like Civ 6, Smash Bros etc. I just don't have the time to commit to owning two consoles.
Weirdly I find myself turning on the Switch even though I have games like RDR2 on my PS4.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New owner! Love it so far; I really underestimated how useful the "switch" factor actually is.

I do have one question, though. I'm guessing it's cool to always keep the Switch docked when not in use? I would expect that it has a modern battery that knows to stop charging at 100%. From a quick Google search, it looks like I should be safe, but I'd like to hear your guys' input.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
New owner! Love it so far; I really underestimated how useful the "switch" factor actually is.

I do have one question, though. I'm guessing it's cool to always keep the Switch docked when not in use? I would expect that it has a modern battery that knows to stop charging at 100%. From a quick Google search, it looks like I should be safe, but I'd like to hear your guys' input.
That should be no problem at all. I have my Switch docked the vast majority of the time, in fact, and have had no issues with this at any point. This is having owned the system from day 1.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't ever heard any reports of the battery suffering from staying docked. You should be good!

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the Brook adapters, are there any well-regarded options for using PS4 and/or Xbox controllers with the Switch?

I'm not necessarily limiting this to wireless. Just curious.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Aside from the Brook adapters, are there any well-regarded options for using PS4 and/or Xbox controllers with the Switch?

I'm not necessarily limiting this to wireless. Just curious.
I have an 8bitdo wireless adapter and a Brook super converter. The 8bitdo gets some points for more controller compatibility, but I think the Brook works a little bit better. It's nice to have the option to use the controller wired or wireless through it for one thing. And pairing is a little easier with it because of that. They both work well though.

I believe mayflash makes one as well, but I haven't tried it.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
I don't game much anymore (I only have a ps4). However, I'm thinking of getting a Switch. Zelda, Mario (later Pokemon) and Smash seem cool. So yeah, mostly singleplayer and occasionally with a friend maybe. I'm not too interested in Mario Kart/Party or something. The portability seems very nice though (gaming from the bed!)

The price is quite steep however, especially compared to previous Nintendo consoles. I've only had a Gamecube before. I am a little bit worried I might be bored quickly with it. FYI: I've played on the Wii (U) which I found boring and stupid.

Would you guys says it's worth it? Also, any chance on good bundles/deals/price drops coming anytime soon? I live in the Netherlands.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any good bluetooth dongles that work well for Switch? I need a good wireless headphone solution for my Switch. Just a shame it doesn't support bluetooth. I have a budget of $200.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure the Playstation ones with the USB dongle works on Switch. There's a new and an older version. Looks like the older ones are only $65 on Amazon. I own a pair and they sound nice enough, though I've never actually tried them on Switch.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All those Switches sitting under trees right now...

Edit: actually I'm guessing a lot of them just got opened lol I keep forgetting there are other time zones....

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Any must-have recommendations for a new Switch owner? I just got one as a gift for my wife along with some Eshop cash. She's mostly into games where you obsessively collect shit, and puzzle games.

So far I got Stardew Valley at full price and Super Mario Odyssey for $41 a couple weeks ago. Got my eye on Puyo Puyo Tetris and I was hoping BoTW would go on sale but I guess it's never gonna happen.

Is Mario Rabbids a puzzle game?

Also I've had my eye on the Tomtoc Switch case but it's gone up to $30 on Amazon. Are there any other slim, functional cases out there that she can throw in her backpack?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any must-have recommendations for a new Switch owner? I just got one as a gift for my wife along with some Eshop cash. She's mostly into games where you obsessively collect shit, and puzzle games.

So far I got Stardew Valley at full price and Super Mario Odyssey for $41 a couple weeks ago. Got my eye on Puyo Puyo Tetris and I was hoping BoTW would go on sale but I guess it's never gonna happen.

Is Mario Rabbids a puzzle game?
Are you both into multiplayer games? Co-op? If so then Overcooked (1 or 2) is an amazing pick. It's not strictly puzzles, but there's definitely some puzzle-like strategy involved. It's also just plain (but chaotic) fun.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Are you both into multiplayer games? Co-op? If so then Overcooked (1 or 2) is an amazing pick. It's not strictly puzzles, but there's definitely some puzzle-like strategy involved. It's also just plain (but chaotic) fun.
Yeah, thanks! That's a good bet. We've had a blast with Overcooked 1 on the PS4. Maybe I'll pickup the sequel.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So got my Switch in July 2017 and now I'm having the left joy con drift issue. And my right doesn't stay locked in since I think the side is chipped. As in I don't have to hold the release button to take it out of the switch or grip. So thinking I might as well get both repaired via Nintendo and hope I can get it discounted. Otherwise if I want to cheap out I guess try and use electric contact cleaner on the left joy con. And not sure if I can fix the right one myself.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So got my Switch in July 2017 and now I'm having the left joy con drift issue. And my right doesn't stay locked in since I think the side is chipped. As in I don't have to hold the release button to take it out of the switch or grip. So thinking I might as well get both repaired via Nintendo and hope I can get it discounted. Otherwise if I want to cheap out I guess try and use electric contact cleaner on the left joy con. And not sure if I can fix the right one myself.

Try lifting the drifting joy-con's skirt (under the stick) and spraying air. That might fix it.

For the joy-con not locking, that's caused by the tiny nubs on the 'con that go into the railing being stripped. You might be able to alleviate it by putting some electric tape along the railing.

There's a decent chance Nintendo will cover the issues, if not for free then for cheap. Try calling them or doing a live chat.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For a fresh, brand new SD card, can I put just put it right into the Switch or do I need to format it on a PC first?

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How do you tell Joycons apart from each other? We had 4 player Mario Kart with the same Joycon sets, and the only way for me to know which set was mine was to keep track of the persons who used them.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
How do you tell Joycons apart from each other? We had 4 player Mario Kart with the same Joycon sets, and the only way for me to know which set was mine was to keep track of the persons who used them.
When we did this with all the same colors, we used little colored circle stickers. Put them on the back of the joycons. They come off just as easy as putting them on, leave not residue. Everyone remember their color lol.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How essential is a screen protector? I never used one with my Wii U and that turned out fine. If I carry the switch around in a case in a backpack, do I really need to buy a screen protector?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How essential is a screen protector? I never used one with my Wii U and that turned out fine. If I carry the switch around in a case in a backpack, do I really need to buy a screen protector?

A screen protector is more essential than a case. The Switch's screen is plastic, not glass, therefore it's susceptible to scratching (but resistant to shattering).

They're cheap, easy to apply, and don't affect visual fidelity. There's really no reason not to get one. I'd recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Screen-Protector-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N3ASPNV

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Look at the lights on the inside rail -- they show the player numbers from 1-8 (1-4 using the number of lights, 5-8 using patterns).

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Discrete stickers, your joycons also have unique serial numbers that you could note down for future reference.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had an issue where their Switch suddenly will stop connecting to their WiFi network? It can still see my network but it's unable to connect. It hasn't moved, I haven't changed anything about my wifi situation (I've had a router in my basement and an extender on my first floor for months with no connection issues) and it's been working just fine since launch. I've tried restarting it too, but no help.

Any thoughts?

witty_mittie3

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
New Switch owner and I have a quick question. Just got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I purchased the Expansion pass digitally. How do I access Torna content? After beating main game?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
New Switch owner and I have a quick question. Just got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I purchased the Expansion pass digitally. How do I access Torna content? After beating main game?

Assuming the game has updated and downloaded the expansion (if it hasn't, press + on the game icon and manually tell it to update), then you access the expansion through a big golden button on the title screen.

It isn't recommended you start it until after finishing the main game, though.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing Let's Go Pikachu and realized that the analog stick on my left Joycon (controls character movement) is broken. When I try to move the stick downwards, my character walks instead of runs. I've tested this out on my right joycon, and the problem doesn't occur - I can run fine. On the left joycon, I can run in any other direction but down. Is there a fix for this?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing Let's Go Pikachu and realized that the analog stick on my left Joycon (controls character movement) is broken. When I try to move the stick downwards, my character walks instead of runs. I've tested this out on my right joycon, and the problem doesn't occur - I can run fine. On the left joycon, I can run in any other direction but down. Is there a fix for this?
I think there's a joycon configuration setting somewhere in the Switch settings, let's you recalibrate the sticks I believe.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

Also try blowing really really hard as you yank/rotate the nub around.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I come to ask for forgiveness. I bashed the switched and swore I would never buy another nintendo device ever again after the Wii and its shovelware nonsense. Got a switch for xmas because I wanted something portable. I am currently playing mario rabbids and having an absolute blast. While I probably will only end up with a library of about 5-6 games due to not liking JRPGS and alot of the games out, for 299 this is well worth it even as just a handheld device. My iPad pro was probably $1,000 more and it will never give me a game as good as the 3 I already own on switch.

Hoping I can stumble across other games I enjoy, so far I have Diablo 3 (own it on every platform), Mario Rabbids, Mario kart and I got Zelda and Mario Odyssey on the way.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I come to ask for forgiveness. I bashed the switched and swore I would never buy another nintendo device ever again after the Wii and its shovelware nonsense. Got a switch for xmas because I wanted something portable. I am currently playing mario rabbids and having an absolute blast. While I probably will only end up with a library of about 5-6 games due to not liking JRPGS and alot of the games out, for 299 this is well worth it even as just a handheld device. My iPad pro was probably $1,000 more and it will never give me a game as good as the 3 I already own on switch.

Hoping I can stumble across other games I enjoy, so far I have Diablo 3 (own it on every platform), Mario Rabbids, Mario kart and I got Zelda and Mario Odyssey on the way.
Congrats on getting a Switch, it's always nice to be wrong if it turns out a game or system was better than you thought :)

As for games, you mention not liking jrpgs. Apart from that I do not know whatyou like. I could mention some of my non-rpg top Switch games though

Sonic Mania Plus - 2d platform game, the greatest one in the last 10 years imo
Yoku's island express - Metroidvania / pinball game
Okami - 3d adventure game with an excellent art style and charming characters