• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have a resistor, use a USB-A-to-USB-C cable and either your computer or a USB A charger. Slow but guaranteed safe (USB A tops out at 5 amps or whatever).

Ah, that's great advice! It's a usb-a to c cable with an off brand charger by the looks of it and I have no clue if it's got a resistor. I'll try the laptop method.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Ah, that's great advice! It's a usb-a to c cable with an off brand charger by the looks of it and I have no clue if it's got a resistor. I'll try the laptop method.
You should be okay -- your typical cheap-ass USB-A charger will not output too much to avoid frying the USB-A device connected to it. The specs say USB-C can send more, but by using USB-A the slower speed means your Switch won't be at risk of anything other than boredom. My leave-the-house-Switch-gear includes a tiny $5 USB-A wall charger and a USB-A-to-C cable for this.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I want to grab an RPG this weekend and was looking at picking up either Tales of Vesperia or Octopath Traveler.

Do you guys have any opinions on which is the better RPG or any additional recommendations?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I want to grab an RPG this weekend and was looking at picking up either Tales of Vesperia or Octopath Traveler.

Do you guys have any opinions on which is the better RPG or any additional recommendations?

Do you want action-based combat (Vesperia), or turn-based (Octopath)?

Do you want a more typical grand adventure with an interacting cast (Vesperia), or a more open and exploratory game featuring eight very different and personal short stories, with the only party interaction being in skits (Octopath)?

Do you prefer pixel art (Octopath) or cell-shaded anime aesthetic (Vesperia)?

In any case, Octopath has a demo you can check out, which is indicative of what the game's structure is like. The only thing you won't have access to is the game's job system (which is an important gameplay aspect after the game's beginning — think FFT or FFV's jobs).

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Do you want action-based combat (Vesperia), or turn-based (Octopath)?

Do you want a more typical grand adventure with an interacting cast (Vesperia), or a more open and exploratory game featuring eight very different and personal short stories, with the only party interaction being in skits (Octopath)?

Do you prefer pixel art (Octopath) or cell-shaded anime aesthetic (Vesperia)?

In any case, Octopath has a demo you can check out, which is indicative of what the game's structure is like. The only thing you won't have access to is the game's job system (which is an important gameplay aspect after the game's beginning — think FFT or FFV's jobs).

Thanks for the feedback. I played the Octopath demo and found it enjoyable but was still unsure if it is something I would pay $60 for. Additionally I read some complaints that it may get repetitive after a while.

For Tales, the combat and aesthetic seem more my style. The only thing about Tales I'm wondering is how the story is? I've not played too many JRPGs but the ones I did play had stories that were usually really cheesy or over the top and I'm looking for something a little more serious this time.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. I played the Octopath demo and found it enjoyable but was still unsure if it is something I would pay $60 for. Additionally I read some complaints that it may get repetitive after a while.

For Tales, the combat and aesthetic seem more my style. The only thing about Tales I'm wondering is how the story is? I've not played too many JRPGs but the ones I did play had stories that were usually really cheesy or over the top and I'm looking for something a little more serious this time.

Hmm. I haven't completed Vesperia — I'm only in Act 1 — but it's a rather lighthearted romp so far. The characters and their interactions are great fun, but the actual story is nondescript and meandering so far.

With Octopath, I understand the complaints of repetition, but frankly wasn't bothered in the slightest by it. Yes, each chapter follows a formula (town > NPC interactions > dungeon > boss), but the stories were compelling and the game offers an abundance of content outside the chapters (exploration, dungeons, side quests you piece together with variable conclusions, huge amount of NPC interactivity). The world is mostly grounded and self-serious, and the individual stories different enough that if you dislike one you can move on to another.

I'd highly recommend both games for very different reasons.

For others in the genre on Switch, I'd recommend Battle Chasers and World of Final Fantasy as well, although the latter isn't very serious. Legrand Legacy is a promising looking game coming out on the 24th. If you don't mind some strategy with your turn-based, I'd heartily recommend the Valkyria Chronicles games.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I got my Switch back from repair. Now it works but only in handheld mode.

I'm fucking cursed or or something. Damn.

EDIT: The box says it was sent from a 3rd party repair company (LetMeRepair). Googling them shows, that they have a pretty bad track-record, including sending back devices without fixing them or with new problems (as in my case).

Last edited:

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
The box says it was sent from a 3rd party repair company (LetMeRepair). Googling them shows, that they have a pretty bad track-record, including sending back devices without fixing them or with new problems (as in my case).

It seems Nintendo support in Europe leaves a lot to be desired. I've also read bad things on forums about another company called Bergsala, the Nordic (and Baltic) agent and distributor for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
It seems Nintendo support in Europe leaves a lot to be desired. I've also read bad things on forums about another company called Bergsala, the Nordic (and Baltic) agent and distributor for Nintendo.
I don't know about Bergsala but in my country it used to be much quicker and better. Now I always have to send the parcels to a P.O. box of some delivery company (DPD) , wich sends it to Germany and then it's returned by a different delivery company (DHL) and it usually takes a few weeks. It's pretty intransparent and inconvinient.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I don't know about Bergsala but in my country it used to be much quicker and better. Now I always have to send the parcels to a P.O. box of some delivery company (DPD) , wich sends it to Germany and then it's returned by a different delivery company (DHL) and it usually takes a few weeks. It's pretty intransparent and inconvinient.

That's weird. I had to send in my 3ds for repair once, and that was like not even 3 years ago and it took 3 days. And I don't mean the repair. It took 3 days to get there, get repaired and get back to my house. And worked fine afterwards.

I mean things could have changed, maybe they got a new contractor for repairs now with the Switch, but to me Nintendo always had one of the if not the best customer service. Granted, I live in Germany, Nintendo of Europe is based in Germany, so maybe that makes things easier... I do hope they go back to their old standards, if this really is what the usual experience is like right now...

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
That's weird. I had to send in my 3ds for repair once, and that was like not even 3 years ago and it took 3 days. And I don't mean the repair. It took 3 days to get there, get repaired and get back to my house. And worked fine afterwards.

I mean things could have changed, maybe they got a new contractor for repairs now with the Switch, but to me Nintendo always had one of the if not the best customer service. Granted, I live in Germany, Nintendo of Europe is based in Germany, so maybe that makes things easier... I do hope they go back to their old standards, if this really is what the usual experience is like right now...
I actually found a thread on a German board where the users describe the same or similiar problems with the Switch and Nintendos repair-service. Guess it's a more recent development.

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
I couldn't find one, but would this be the correct place to share friend codes? I've not been playing on my Switch long but would at least like to add a few of you fine folk here.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Last edited:

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Finally bought a Switch last week. Our store sold the console for 289€ and three games for 111€. I've picked up Super Mario Odyssey, New Super mario Bros. U Deluxe and Mario+Rabbids Battle Kingdom Gold Edition.

This month I will buy some indie games. Is there a Switch game that Looks better than Fast RMX? For a launch title it looks phenomenal.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, can i buy two different SD cards and install different games in both?
When i put it on the switch will recoganize the games that are in there?

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Quick question, can i buy two different SD cards and install different games in both?
When i put it on the switch will recoganize the games that are in there?

I think so. But I haven't actually tested this. Let me put it this way: when I put a new SD card on my Switch it automatically understood which games were on that card and which games needed to be downloaded. But I just copied over all the old games from the old card. So nothing really 'changed.'

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I really don't know where to post this, but this thread seems quite suitable.

I have a created a website for people who moan about no way to show off their Switch achievements for the games that do actually have them. It's called, funnily enough, Nintendo Switch Achievements.

It lets you sign up then add achievements to your account. Each game's page shows the full list, and how many others have earnt them. You can also leave comments on individual achievements to help others out or just express anger about a shit one. You can view without registering of course, but doing so gets you more options and interactivity with the site.

I still have a few features to add (direct comparison with another user, for example) and more games of course.

https://www.switchachievements.org/

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So anyone who has personal experience with how the two Syberia ports are on the Switch? They're €15 here each physically, which I'm considering at that price.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I really don't know where to post this, but this thread seems quite suitable.

I have a created a website for people who moan about no way to show off their Switch achievements for the games that do actually have them. It's called, funnily enough, Nintendo Switch Achievements.

A solid start. I wonder if you could do something to automate some achievements. For examples, using the Nintendo API to get a list of all games, and using the Steam API to get a list of achievements for each game. For some games that wouldn't work. Ittle Dew 2+ is a Switch Exclusive, for example. That might be a lot of work.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
A solid start. I wonder if you could do something to automate some achievements. For examples, using the Nintendo API to get a list of all games, and using the Steam API to get a list of achievements for each game. For some games that wouldn't work. Ittle Dew 2+ is a Switch Exclusive, for example. That might be a lot of work.

It hasn't been too bad entering them in now the backend is how I want it. psnprofiles is really good at having the same order as they appear in Switch games, so a cut and paste into Excel then a CSV import is usually enough.

What's been amusing is finding out small differences. For example, Minecraft on PS4 has more achievements, all online battle ones, which the Switch doesn't have. But then Switch has some PS4 doesn't, and some are even renamed such as Lion Hunter becoming Lion Tamer.

So Ittle Dew 2+ has achievements too? Thanks for the heads up! :) How does the Switch list compare to this one?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Got some custom plates made up for the PDP Switch LED Dock. Came out awesome!
DylchkuWwAUMB7_.jpg

DylciBDX4AAVqbQ.jpg

DylcidIWkAAtcus.jpg

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I've just bought a Switch with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Super Mario Odyssey. The problem is both my games are coming from a different retailer, which means I'm gonna be traveling before they arrive. What are some cheap indie games you guys recommend, for I want to play it during this trip? I thought about Hollow Knight, Sonic Mania, but I'm open for recommendations!

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I've just bought a Switch with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Super Mario Odyssey. The problem is both my games are coming from a different retailer, which means I'm gonna be traveling before they arrive. What are some cheap indie games you guys recommend, for I want to play it during this trip? I thought about Hollow Knight, Sonic Mania, but I'm open for recommendations!
Any preference on genre? There's a huge amount of good stuff on the eShop. Hollow Knight is essential regardless, but as initial suggestions, WarGroove has just been released, an excellent modern take on the Advance Wars 'formula', and there's a good sale on Nicalis' catalogue right now, including The Binding of Isaac, Ikaruga and Ittle Dew 2+.

I'd suggest coming to join us in the February eShop thread as the best place to get some more ideas/suggestions.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Any preference on genre? There's a huge amount of good stuff on the eShop. Hollow Knight is essential regardless, but as initial suggestions, WarGroove has just been released, an excellent modern take on the Advance Wars 'formula', and there's a good sale on Nicalis' catalogue right now, including The Binding of Isaac, Ikaruga and Ittle Dew 2+.

I'd suggest coming to join us in the February eShop thread as the best place to get some more ideas/suggestions.
Thanks for the reply! I've just recently bought Wargroove on Steam, since its regional pricing made it much cheaper. I'm going to ask the same question on the other tread, but those are already some neat recommendations.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Does anyone have experience with developing a stuck pixel on the Switch well after purchase? I exchanged my initial Odyssey bundle unit because it had a dead pixel in the center of the screen out of the box, and I felt I got lucky with a virtually perfect screen on my second try. Well, a year and change later and I turn on my Switch (to upgrade to a larger microSD card I got as a gift... it's my birthday today) and I am greeted with a white (ish?) stuck pixel (?) in the center of the screen. It was upsetting, but after using the unit for a few minutes the pixel went back to appearing normal. I was mildly relieved, but skeptical, and my skepticism was warranted because the stuck pixel has kept coming and going over the past few hours. What's also weird is that sometimes when the stuck pixel returns it fluctates in how "noticeably defective" it is (sometimes it's more dull) at the same max screen brightness.

I've dealt with plenty of dead pixels (almost all of my Nintendo devices have had them), but it's been a minute since I got a stuck pixel. I'm running one of those stuck pixel fix videos through the YouTube app, but I have no idea what the efficacy is like for those things (long-term or otherwise, or if they do more harm than good). I don't think there's any massaging the stuck pixel like I would on computer monitors in the past due to the hard plastic screen of the Switch.

So does anyone have any experience with post-purchase stuck pixels, good or bad?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems The Observer has been released on the Switch today. Any impressions about the port?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the link, port seems pretty good all things considered. Might get it in a few weeks when I can going by the look of things!

I'd also be curious to know how people are liking it. I'm quite close to pulling the trigger, it seems like a really unique horror game.
I'm also very interested in it, the style seems really cool and I adore Layers of Fear for what it does. I'll probably get it at the end of the month, also hoping it gets a physical release like Layers did!

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
So I had a Switch sitting in its box for nearly a year; long story but I got one to use up some store credit long before I actually had time to play/invest in software for it. Only just dug it out this week because of the Pokemon Go event requiring me to have Let's Go to make full use of.

And there's a dead pixel in the center of the right side of the screen.

I can't unsee it, and I'm certainly long past any sort of exchange window.

Help

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
So I had a Switch sitting in its box for nearly a year; long story but I got one to use up some store credit long before I actually had time to play/invest in software for it. Only just dug it out this week because of the Pokemon Go event requiring me to have Let's Go to make full use of.

And there's a dead pixel in the center of the right side of the screen.

I can't unsee it, and I'm certainly long past any sort of exchange window.

Help
Call Nintendo Customer Support anyway, see if they can hook you up.

At worst, your situation doesn't change.
At best...?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the link, port seems pretty good all things considered. Might get it in a few weeks when I can going by the look of things!

I'm also very interested in it, the style seems really cool and I adore Layers of Fear for what it does. I'll probably get it at the end of the month, also hoping it gets a physical release like Layers did!

I took the plunge. I didn't get Layers of Fear because I read it had a whole lot of jump scares which I'm not a huge fan of. But Observer also kinda does, though so far in a much trippier way. I really like what I've played so far.

It actually looks great on the Switch screen, I was expecting it to be blurry after watching Nate's footage but it's actually not all that bad on the small screen.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I took the plunge. I didn't get Layers of Fear because I read it had a whole lot of jump scares which I'm not a huge fan of. But Observer also kinda does, though so far in a much trippier way. I really like what I've played so far.

It actually looks great on the Switch screen, I was expecting it to be blurry after watching Nate's footage but it's actually not all that bad on the small screen.

What I sometimes do is that I adjust the youtube video to be the same size as the Switch screen. Often (and obviously) makes it significantly less blurry.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the "auto-update" feature supposed to update games that have updates available?
I had to manually check 78 games, and five of them had updates.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It certainly does have a bunch, but the game plays a ton with perspective and things that aren't on screen. It's really fun, but the couple of jumpscares are really cheap.

I've seen that the game is €30 on the Switch, but seems that the game is only €11,50 on Steam. So... Doubting if I should get it on the Switch now.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly does have a bunch, but the game plays a ton with perspective and things that aren't on screen. It's really fun, but the couple of jumpscares are really cheap.

I've seen that the game is €30 on the Switch, but seems that the game is only €11,50 on Steam. So... Doubting if I should get it on the Switch now.

Ugh I hate jump scares. I might have to find a jump scare spoiler guide just so I know when to expect them. I went through the first "scary" segment and it was fantastic, just creepy music/sound and cool effects/puzzles.

And yeah it was a bit pricey but the wife was out for the night and I always like curling up with a good horror game in bed when I'm alone in the house. The timing worked out well for me. PC version might be better for you if it's less than half the price, though Layers of Fear has been on sale on Switch several times so I expect this will go on sale at some point soon too.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first two chapters should be mostly save, it's mostly atmosphere, after that it certainly kicks into gear for the rest. There's a bunch of really cheap jumpscares, but they're easy enough to see coming.

And I guess I'll go for Steam for now. Game looks really cool and the Steam version seems to be 10GB and the Switch version appears as 19GB. Which is also odd...

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, quick question, can I add people to my family group after I pay the yearly subscription?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone in Europe want to share a family plan/have an extra code to sell (if that's how it works, that is)? I want in on that Tetris 99 action!

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hey guys, quick question, can I add people to my family group after I pay the yearly subscription?
Yes - you can change who is in the group at any time via your account settings.

Does anyone in Europe want to share a family plan/have an extra code to sell (if that's how it works, that is)? I want in on that Tetris 99 action!
Family groups don't work b via codes. Instead, as above, the main subscriber manages membership of the group via their account settings.

Also, this works just fine across different regions.