• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I was a tad leery about doing that but it can't hurt I guess since I was going to buy a new controller anyhow.
You might not even need to open it up. I've sorted sticky buttons before by just using some cleaning alcohol around the edges of the buttons and then just mashing them a bit.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought an extra Switch. Is there anyway to transfer over the microSD card with my games without having to format the card?

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I'm finally jumping in and buying a Switch next week! I have some questions, but don't want to create a topic just for that:

- Is a screen protector needed? Is any brand sold on Amazon/Best Buy good enough, or do I need to look for a specific model?

- Does the bricking issues with third-party TV docks/cables persist, or is there a reliable alternative?

- Is Mario Party an easy and fun game for someone who's not familiar with gaming? I want to buy a game to play with my wife, but I'm afraid Mario Party might be too.

- I'm going to buy my Switch while I'm travelling through the US, I live in Brazil. Is there a good site in which I can find discounts vouchers and these kind of stuff for online stores? I think I'm going to buy it at Best Buy, since there will be one near my hotel and I can do a in-store pickup.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
So I have a UK Switch and I had brand new physical US copies of Sushi Striker and Valkyria Chronicles 4 and they both allowed me to redeem the gold points to my UK account, is that normal?
Its a bit hit or miss, with dragons dogma (bought the us version bc of physical) but that didnt let me add coins, But resident evil revelations collections did let me get the coins.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for ethernet adapters? Both in terms of model and general trickery. I've heard it gets better speeds when used in the USB 3.0 port? And some of them have heating issues? I don't know what I'm doing.

Also, is there anywhere still selling L/R Neon Blue Joy-Con pairs?

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would like to have the posibillity to plug My switch in to My daughters tv, is The officiell dock the only Choice, or is there some alternative, maybe cheaper but Still safe to use?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Can someone tell me if this is correct.
Step 1:
Create a Japanese account and the news feed will switch to Japanese language.

Step 2: Create a second NA account, and it will change back to English.

After that, it should always remain in English, even if I log in to the Japanese account to buy games.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I would like to have the posibillity to plug My switch in to My daughters tv, is The officiell dock the only Choice, or is there some alternative, maybe cheaper but Still safe to use?
Pretty sure the official Dock is still the best choice. The other alternatives involve gutting an official Dock and transplanting the guts to a smaller form factor.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the official Dock is still the best choice. The other alternatives involve gutting an official Dock and transplanting the guts to a smaller form factor.
That is what I've done, and it's a great option for sure.
Then is The officiell One i am gonna get :)
Grab a third party shell, and move the guts from the official one to the "slim" case. So much better in my opinion.

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Portable-Replacement-Nintendo-Original/dp/B071YVC3NJ
(not an affiliate or sponsor link)

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Got off the phone with Nintendo Australia today, to get an update on my system repair. They're doing everything; repairing both the joycons to fix numerous issues, and replacing the entire base unit to fix the shell cracking, dead pixel, and other woes.

Best of all, because I sent it with a proof of purchase, they're covering the expenses of everything. It's a launch system too, so over two years old. Filing for warranty/repair gave me a form and full postage paid delivery bar code, they're repairing it for free, and the tracked return cost is zero.

Hasn't cost me a cent. Wonderful stuff.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Got off the phone with Nintendo Australia today, to get an update on my system repair. They're doing everything; repairing both the joycons to fix numerous issues, and replacing the entire base unit to fix the shell cracking, dead pixel, and other woes.

Best of all, because I sent it with a proof of purchase, they're covering the expenses of everything. It's a launch system too, so over two years old. Filing for warranty/repair gave me a form and full postage paid delivery bar code, they're repairing it for free, and the tracked return cost is zero.

Hasn't cost me a cent. Wonderful stuff.
Wish I had that experience with the UK one the other week.

UK one was utterly dreadful with my launch console that I've had to send in for various issues before. After about 4/5 phone calls that went absolutely no where every time I ended up having to pay. It got to a point where they were refusing to talk to me as they didn't believe they were in the wrong over a misleading letter sent with a previous repair that stated the console warranty had been extended and my regular warranty had expired the previous month so they believed I wasn't covered, I either had to pay up or have it sent back. If it was any dearer I'd have had it sent back and would have replaced the fan myself since overall it didn't actually seem that difficult to do, I jsut sent it off thinking that I was covered.

Never experienced such terrible warranty service frankly. People complain about companies like Razer, but I've even had them replace things with a newer better model for something out of warranty.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Wish I had that experience with the UK one the other week.

UK one was utterly dreadful with my launch console that I've had to send in for various issues before. After about 4/5 phone calls that went absolutely no where every time I ended up having to pay. It got to a point where they were refusing to talk to me as they didn't believe they were in the wrong over a misleading letter sent with a previous repair that stated the console warranty had been extended and my regular warranty had expired the previous month so they believed I wasn't covered, I either had to pay up or have it sent back. If it was any dearer I'd have had it sent back and would have replaced the fan myself since overall it didn't actually seem that difficult to do, I jsut sent it off thinking that I was covered.

Never experienced such terrible warranty service frankly. People complain about companies like Razer, but I've even had them replace things with a newer better model for something out of warranty.

That's such a shame. I wonder if it has to do with regional warranty policies or something. Nintendo Australia has been delightful every single time I've dealt with them. I remember having to send my DS Lite in many, many moons ago due to the hinge shattering, and my launch 3DS model too at some point as the left shoulder button stopped working. Both were fixed in full and returned at no expense to myself.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a shame. I wonder if it has to do with regional warranty policies or something. Nintendo Australia has been delightful every single time I've dealt with them. I remember having to send my DS Lite in many, many moons ago due to the hinge shattering, and my launch 3DS model too at some point as the left shoulder button stopped working. Both were fixed in full and returned at no expense to myself.
I'm not sure how it works where you are but here in the UK it's outsourced to another company, and Nintendo just act as a middle man. Which is frustrating for communication for one. The reason it took 4-5 phone calls was because every single time I had to speak to nintendo, they'd open up a ticket with the repair company to get more information, and then you had to wait a day for a response. To me it seemed like the repair company was the one who determined what they'd repair and how much they would charge. Nintendo support seemed willing to try and convince them to a point, but if the repair company refuse to repair it under warranty for whatever reason that's it. At some point Nintendo will just throw their hands up and say there's nothing more they can do, either pay or have it sent back. Like I even asked to speak to the manager, and they used the oldest excuse in the book, "they were in a meeting"(very very unlikely considering the time of day), and argued they wouldn't be able to do anything either.

So really the underlying fault probably lies with the company who they out-source to, but it still reflects very very poorly on Nintendo too considering their inability to really help and the fact they chose this company in the first place.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
- Is a screen protector needed? Is any brand sold on Amazon/Best Buy good enough, or do I need to look for a specific model?

I would say no. I had it for a long time moving it around not problem. But I'm 90% docked. But I would move my dock around a bunch and be taking it in and out. I did eventually buy a screen protected because I was worried that my two children under 4 might do something that would scratch it.

- Does the bricking issues with third-party TV docks/cables persist, or is there a reliable alternative?

No idea, maybe not.

Is Mario Party an easy and fun game for someone who's not familiar with gaming? I want to buy a game to play with my wife, but I'm afraid Mario Party might be too.

I had only played a few times, I'm not a fan of the series. This game is pretty approachable and straight forward. The two things that make it a challenge is that instead of a menu you are dumped in to a 3D world/menu that you have to walk around unless you figure out the menu button. But it's not hard. And you have to keep switching how you hold your controller from one handed to two handed.

- I'm going to buy my Switch while I'm travelling through the US, I live in Brazil. Is there a good site in which I can find discounts vouchers and these kind of stuff for online stores? I think I'm going to buy it at Best Buy, since there will be one near my hotel and I can do a in-store pickup.

No idea.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I would say no. I had it for a long time moving it around not problem. But I'm 90% docked. But I would move my dock around a bunch and be taking it in and out. I did eventually buy a screen protected because I was worried that my two children under 4 might do something that would scratch it.

No idea, maybe not.

I had only played a few times, I'm not a fan of the series. This game is pretty approachable and straight forward. The two things that make it a challenge is that instead of a menu you are dumped in to a 3D world/menu that you have to walk around unless you figure out the menu button. But it's not hard. And you have to keep switching how you hold your controller from one handed to two handed.

No idea.

Thanks for the answers =)

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't bought a new game on my switch this year other than FFIX. Am I just missing the releases or is this a slow year??

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought a new game on my switch this year other than FFIX. Am I just missing the releases or is this a slow year??
Yeah, we haven't had that many first party nintendo games released so far this year.

Not a big problem for me though. I picked up a few retail games from 2018 and from 2019 this year
Yonder
Dragons Dogma
Monster Boy
Yoshi
Captain Toad

Got a few of retail releases on my watch list for the late spring and summer too
Hollow Knight
Team Sonic Racing
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Fire Emblem

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
well, they did release both Yoshi and New Super Mario this year, but I'm not sure if this is what you want.
There were some other 3rd party releases, like FFX, XII and VII, Dragon's Dogma, Hellblade, Cuphead and Mortal Kombat. And if you are into indie games, like myself, there are plenty of releases

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Indies have taken the most out of my wallet lol. I'm a sucker for a good indie game.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Indies have taken the most out of my wallet lol. I'm a sucker for a good indie game.
Yeah, indies and Steam ports are the new AA for me. I'm currently playing through Hard West and it's the kind of non-mainstream game the big publishers won't touch these days. And for $10 it's a great deal.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've made a list of Switch games that I am interested in, and was wondering if Era had ideas on what I might've forgotten. I think it should be somewhat clear what kind of genres I'm into the most, and I already have Smash Bros. Ultimate.

unknown.png

The Definitely column is roughly ordered.
Maybe are ones I'm not super sure about yet.
The PC column is games I already own or want to grab on PC, but also might be very fun on the Switch.

As note, I did not own a Wii U.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you buy Sonic Forces twice? The switch version is also the worst version. Sonic Mania Plus I would double dip on. It's great to have portable.

I would add
ss_83500b972a30d1de9ef791064b6b562fb685693a.1920x1080.jpg

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (retail in the US)
If you played the other ones, you know what this is. If not it is a 2d platformer with metroid and castlevania elements.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
220px-Puyo_Puyo_Tetris_NA-EU_Cover.jpg

Puyo Puyo Tetris
Best switch puzzle game. Great for multi player
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yoku-Screen-13-1260x700.jpg

Yokus island express
Pinball metroidvania in a way. You are delivering mail on an island, and along the way helping people. Great music, and so charming.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you buy Sonic Forces twice? The switch version is also the worst version. Sonic Mania Plus I would double dip on. It's great to have portable.

I would add

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have Sonic Forces at all, actually! It was one of the games I considered getting the Switch version instead of the PC one, but if the Switch version is the worst, then I won't buy that one instead of the PC version, let alone double dip. Do you mind expanding a bit on why it's the worst?
Monster Boy I legitimately forgot about, so thanks for the reminder. Puyo Tetris was a thought, but I suuuuuuuck at both Puyo and Tetris lol.
Yoku's Island Express I'm gonna have to look into.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have Sonic Forces at all, actually! It was one of the games I considered getting the Switch version instead of the PC one, but if the Switch version is the worst, then I won't buy that one instead of the PC version, let alone double dip. Do you mind expanding a bit on why it's the worst?
Monster Boy I legitimately forgot about, so thanks for the reminder. Puyo Tetris was a thought, but I suuuuuuuck at both Puyo and Tetris lol.
Yoku's Island Express I'm gonna have to look into.
Sonic Forces on switch is 30 fps, lower resolution with a lot less details too.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I'm posting here because I don't really know where else to post it. I don't get how to manage my mobile hotspot to play online games on the go. I'm on Android, and I can play MK8 fast and super smoothly, but Rocket League is a lag fest. Maybe I should cross-post in the RL thread, I know there are some options they added, but when I tinkered with them it was even worse.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Most of Nintendo's titles seem to release on midnight at release day (digitally).
Does that mean, the earliest way to play a certain title is to preorder it from the australian eshop store?

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I am really on the verge of picking a Switch up. But the price is quite high for a secondary console for me. Plus the price of each game is more than expected. Do Switches go on sale often? Will a revamped Switch be due out soon, and if so, reduce the price of the original Switch?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I am really on the verge of picking a Switch up. But the price is quite high for a secondary console for me. Plus the price of each game is more than expected. Do Switches go on sale often? Will a revamped Switch be due out soon, and if so, reduce the price of the original Switch?
The rumor is that a more kid friendly model is on its way. I'd expect it to be cheaper too.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Wait for the 2d kiddy Switch with Mario Maker

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the Pokken controller useful for anything? I know I can't use it in Smash, and I wouldn't know how to change Targets in Tetris 99...but maybe...Lumines?

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone pick up Aggelos on switch recently? I picked it up this morning on pure impulse and it's fantastic however I think it's broken? For anyone who's played it, there's a section where you have to play as a monkey. You have to be able to jump, but on the switch version it's not working? Luckily I saved right before this so I've tried multiple restarts to no avail? Pretty bummed since I've been binging this all day and this is right before the last temple.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone with the Satisfye grip comment on how the right wing affects the right face buttons?

This thing is obviously designed for games that require you to spend most of your time on both analog sticks. I'm worried that it might be uncomfortable to play something that primarily uses the left sick and right face buttons.

Griegous

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it has been asked before but I am on mobile and search is kind of sketchy.

I want to buy something from the US store and I understand that at some point it would ask me for a zip code and that if I used one from AK it would not charge me tax.
This never happens though, and it automatically adds tax to the purchase.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
I got a switch recently and I love it. But god damn everything is so expensive! Official pro controllers are at least £55 and you're lucky to find the games for less than £40. Does everyone just bit the bullet and pay full price or am I missing something?