• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Just picked up a Switch but didn't get any games due to money. But I am more than happy with the F2P offerings. Looking to pick up Smash, Diablo and Immortal Redneck, soon.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
I got a switch recently and I love it. But god damn everything is so expensive! Official pro controllers are at least £55 and you're lucky to find the games for less than £40. Does everyone just bit the bullet and pay full price or am I missing something?
Just try to buy games 2nd hand and wait for special offers on physical games, quite doable. That way you can resell them and spend a lot less in the long run. I just had a look for the new Yoshi game on a local market platform in Amsterdam, already down to 35 Euros, Smash bros around 45.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to buy the last YuGiOh game by switching my account to access the Japanese eShop, but my credit card doesn't work on it unfortunately. :/

Does anyone here ever tried to buy on the Japanese eShop with a Credit Card or another solution which worked well for them?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to buy the last YuGiOh game by switching my account to access the Japanese eShop, but my credit card doesn't work on it unfortunately. :/

Does anyone here ever tried to buy on the Japanese eShop with a Credit Card or another solution which worked well for them?
Generally people either buy game codes if they can from somewhere like Amazon Japan, or they create a new Japanese switch account and use eshop credit. You can't swap your account region if you have credit, hence why you need a second account.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

I've had good luck buying digital codes from Amazon.co.jp -- only trick is that for some games, Amazon only sells the "Japan" version of a game instead of the (multilingual) "Southeast Asia" version.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Generally people either buy game codes if they can from somewhere like Amazon Japan, or they create a new Japanese switch account and use eshop credit. You can't swap your account region if you have credit, hence why you need a second account.
I've had good luck buying digital codes from Amazon.co.jp -- only trick is that for some games, Amazon only sells the "Japan" version of a game instead of the (multilingual) "Southeast Asia" version.

Yep that's what I thought I should be doing, but actually, I thought that is was more a trick than real solution, and I felt a bit too lazy for this. ^^'

So what I did instead is creating a Japanese PayPal account by going on paypal.com/jp, put my EU Credit Card on it, and then link this PayPal account to my Switch.

From this, I was able to buy the game from the Japanese eShop after changing my account region (I don't have balance on it as I just use my credit card and credit the right amount when buying a game), and then good thing, the game was actually translated in french.

So now, with a single account, I can buy on 3 different eshop, which is kind of cool. ^^

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
say hello to this sweet summer child

pBRhx9C.jpg

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Hi everyone I got a question.
So as far as charging the switch its better to stick to the original stuck but what about controllers?
I want to buy one of those charging stations that can take the joycons and the pro controllers, I'm just worried since the pro controller uses type C if theres anything I should be concerned about

say hello to this sweet summer child
That looks amazing, were those shells prepainted?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That looks amazing, were those shells prepainted?

Yep! Got them on Amazon from the group eXtremeRate. It came with tools and replacement screws too, so it was a really nice little bundle.

The left joy con's stick was completely busted, so I figured that while I was cracking one open to replace the stick, might as well put them both in a sick replacement shell. Glad to say the new stick (also from Amazon) is working perfectly!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I have an... interesting problem with Mortal Kombat 11. I have two Nintendo accounts (Mexican account, because I'm from Mexico and I've been using that account for ages) and a Japanese account (because I live in Japan). I mostly use the Japanese account unless there's a game that isn't released in Japan (and that happens a lot, actually! Japanese Switch owners are missing out on so many awesome indies). Anyway, I imported a Mexican (well, NA) version of MK11 since it wasn't released here. But I use my Japanese account because it's the one that is online-enabled. So what's the problem? Well, I can't access the in-game shop if I use the JP account because it's not available in Japan. Now, I don't plan on buying "krystals" or whatever, but I do want to buy the DLC when it gets released... which I can only do from the Mexican account (either from the in-game shop of the eShop).

Do you think, if I buy the DLC from the MX eShop, I'll also get that content when I use my JP account? I guess I could buy Shao Kahn to find out... it kind of sucks that I have to choose between my MX account (which means no online play, which makes everything pointless, and I'm not paying Nintendo to play online twice, lol) or my JP account (I can play online, but I get no DLC characters, which also sucks).

"Region free" is not what it used to be ;(

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so now I'm really confused. Why in the world would a third party developer make a choice, yes a choice, to lock leaderboard access in their own game behind Nintendo Online? Because it's clearly a choice since to my surprise I'm playing OlliOlli and I am able to access the leaderboard.

I am just so confused why other games lock leaderboards behind Nintendo Online when clearly there is an option not to.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm itching for a new game on my Switch that isn't Smash Bros.
For some reason I can't finish or want to play Pokemon, Night in the Woods, Stardew Valley, Gris, or whatever other games my gf and I have bought. Maybe Dark Souls? But eh, I've already played it before. HELP

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
For some reason I can't finish or want to play Pokemon, Night in the Woods, Stardew Valley, Gris, or whatever other games my gf and I have bought. Maybe Dark Souls? But eh, I've already played it before. HELP
Golf Story or Graceful Explosion Machine if you want an exclusive.

Steamworld Heist or Hard West if you want turn-based squad strategy.

Debris Infinity or Assault Android Cactus if you want fast twitch shooting action.

Fortnite or Warframe if you want free.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
If anyone is into turn based / board game like games. then give For The King a try, it's an excellent game. Price seems a little high but you get all the included DLC so there is tons of content.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
The Tetris theme for the weekend gives us OG Game Boy Tetris, and if you hit the 100 point challenge you get to keep the theme (I think).

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
This is me all the time. I think i need help at this point. I bought Final Fantasy 12 and am trying to stick with it. The addiction is real.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up Mario + Rabbids thanks to the GameStop deal. Looking forward to seeing what all the praise is about.

It's great. Just one piece of advice: if you find the in-between-mission puzzles boring, just FAQ through them. Later on they got annoying enough that it was preventing me from getting to the actual missions. They're not hard, just unnecessary.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help me out here.
I bought a second Switch basically so I could stop stealing my girlfriend's Switch for Smash. However, our purchases are mixed between accounts. She usually plays a more variety of games. I'm mostly bringing mine for Smash or a little bit of Lumines.

What I'm assuming is that since this is the case, I should make her Switch the main Switch so she can play all the games and I can still play Smash on it at home.

But if I make that the primary account, will I always have to be connected to the internet to play the games I bought from my account offline? AKA I wouldn't be able to play during a bus ride or something?

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I bought a second Switch basically so I could stop stealing my girlfriend's Switch for Smash. However, our purchases are mixed between accounts. She usually plays a more variety of games. I'm mostly bringing mine for Smash or a little bit of Lumines.

What I'm assuming is that since this is the case, I should make her Switch the main Switch so she can play all the games and I can still play Smash on it at home.

But if I make that the primary account, will I always have to be connected to the internet to play the games I bought from my account offline? AKA I wouldn't be able to play during a bus ride or something?

I got the following setup with my brother: My account is primary on his Switch, and his account is primary on my Switch. That way I can play my digital games on my console (because I am using my account to access it) and he can play my digital games on his console with his account (because his console is "my" primary console) . That would not be possible if we had our accounts primary on our own systems. We could also play games simultaneously if he started the game while his console his offline, if I recall correctly.
(I hope this paragraph is somewhat understandable).

If I access my own digital content, I have to check-in online every few hours, but that can be done via a mobile hotspot. You do not have to connected the internet the whole time and for short bus rides it could be enough to start the game before you leave the house.

If you use this setup and Smash is bought on your account, you would have to check-in online. If it is bought on her account, you would not have to.

Nov 6, 2017

I believe that you can play them offline for 2-3 hours and then after that the game tries to check if you have the license for the game and if you are still disconnected it will pause until you connect to the internet for the check to pass.

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
So, I got myself a Switch :) First time I bought a Nintendo device since the 3DS. I forgot how instantly fun just the menu sounds are, immediately nostalgic in a way. I got Odyssey with it, very fun thus far :)

Anyway, I saw that you can use the 8Bitdo wireless connector to use DS4 controllers on the Switch. That seems a more efficient method than getting extra controllers since I already have a PS4. Is the 8Bitdo connector the way to go for this? Or are there other options worth considering?

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
So, I got myself a Switch :) First time I bought a Nintendo device since the 3DS. I forgot how instantly fun just the menu sounds are, immediately nostalgic in a way. I got Odyssey with it, very fun thus far :)

Anyway, I saw that you can use the 8Bitdo wireless connector to use DS4 controllers on the Switch. That seems a more efficient method than getting extra controllers since I already have a PS4. Is the 8Bitdo connector the way to go for this? Or are there other options worth considering?

There is also the Mayflash MAGIC-NS, iirc. I do not have both, so I will not try to argue for one or the other.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I just dusted off my Vita, reformatted my corrupt memory cards, redownloaded like 60+ games...and can't start a single one because I'd rather play my Switch.

But then, I'm up about 75+ games on my Switch that I've had since launch, but I've only played like 15 games at most. I think I like shopping for deals on the eShop more than playing the games themselves.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a really common question, so I apologize in advance if it's been asked before. Is there any alternative to the official Nintendo dock? I basically just want to buy a cheap (yet reliable) dock for a second room so I can easily take the Switch from one TV to the other without unhooking the cables each time.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is it common for games to crash after being in rest mode for a while? FFIX keeps doing it, like every day

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Amazon delivered my Satisfye Pro Gaming Grip yesterday and oh my what a difference! I have never been a big handheld gamer despite owning a DS and 3DS because they were just too uncomfortable to hold for longer sessions. I definitely see myself playing my Switch more in handheld mode especially with Fire Emblem coming, now if only I could address the Switch's crappy battery life...

Last edited:

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the process gonna be like if I reset my system to factory settings?

I've just been having a cavalcade of issues with this thing the past two weeks. The right joycon stick is drifting. Online can't connect to my original DNS config (that it had no problem with previously.) The store isn't accepting any of my credit card info anymore either. I've tried lots of troubleshooting and calling about these issues, but nothing is working. I'm down to my last few ideas, like resetting the system to see if I can clear up any weird bugs that might've thrown the settings off kilter.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is looking for a grip, Satisfye has a sale going on right now. 40% off the listed price using the promo code E3TV40.

$27+shipping for the grip+case bundle is a pretty good deal, since this is $50 on Amazon. $13.50+shipping for the grip alone.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is looking for a grip, Satisfye has a sale going on right now. 40% off the listed price using the promo code E3TV40.

$27+shipping for the grip+case bundle is a pretty good deal, since this is $50 on Amazon. $13.50+shipping for the grip alone.
Ooo think I'll grab a bundle. Can't decide between slim and elite though. I'm currently using the butterfox case and a jettech grip but this looks so much nicer. I usually prefer having the bigger case since I stick my switch in my backpack anyway and buy mostly physical. But the slim looks tempting too since the elite case looks insanely big.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Ooo think I'll grab a bundle. Can't decide between slim and elite though. I'm currently using the butterfox case and a jettech grip but this looks so much nicer. I usually prefer having the bigger case since I stick my switch in my backpack anyway and buy mostly physical. But the slim looks tempting too since the elite case looks insanely big.

I ordered the Elite. It has a slot in the bottom that will store a battery pack. It's supposed to be big enough to fit the large 26,800mAh power banks. You can even charge the Switch without removing the power bank using the right angle cable it comes with. Downside of the Elite bundle is it comes with an A-to-C USB cable instead of the C-to-C cable like the Slim.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered the Elite. It has a slot in the bottom that will store a battery pack. It's supposed to be big enough to fit the large 26,800mAh power banks. You can even charge the Switch without removing the power bank using the right angle cable it comes with. Downside of the Elite bundle is it comes with an A-to-C USB cable instead of the C-to-C cable like the Slim.
K then elite it is. I currently use a powerbank that is A-C anyway.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Wtf is wrong with these joycons? My right one sometimes has sync problems like not being recognized when I play on handheld mode all of a sudden. It eventually get solved but now I'm facing the fact that it won't sync like its battery is empty, which can't be since I played handheld yesterday. Tried a lot of methods but it appears it really died by itself attached to the console. Seriously?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
K then elite it is. I currently use a powerbank that is A-C anyway.

Did you end up ordering one? Mine shipped out on Monday, and I just got it. I used the cheapest shipping option, and the estimate was 6/10, so that was a pleasant surprise. The case is a monster, but the grip feels great so far.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did you end up ordering one? Mine shipped out on Monday, and I just got it. I used the cheapest shipping option, and the estimate was 6/10, so that was a pleasant surprise. The case is a monster, but the grip feels great so far.
Yeah I did haven't seen it yet and I also went with the cheapest shipping.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MadMike My grip arrived today. You weren't kidding the case is huge. Got to try the grip briefly before work and I'll have to adjust. But I think I'm gonna like playing handheld even more now.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Hey people! I'm planning on buying a Switch and I would like to ask you: are there any deals worth checking on big stores (like gamestop or bestbuy maybe)?
My brother will travel to the US and I'll ask him to buy one there.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone got opinions on the Ace Attorney collection? I played the first a bit and enjoyed it back in the day but never got around to the full game. Now its on sale so I'm curious!

Also on the hardware side, anyone else find the joycons in handheld mode too loud when vibrating. Like the sound of it against the switch is loud, annoying, and feels irksome. Had to turn it off when playing games. Wish there were intensity settings.

Last edited: