• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to Amazon my Odyssey bundle should come in today, also got myself Mario Kart with it. First Nintendo console I buy in launch year and first I buy (so not received as a gift) since the DS. Really looking forward to trying it out!

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
What a timing. Just before I'm heading to work, postman deliver Super Mario Odyssey.

Now it's 8 h long waiting to play. :|

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
2017-11-1309.29.34l7sxm.jpg

2017-11-1309.29.47disv4.jpg

So I just got this 'dock' for my Switch. Seems to work fine, I just need to pick up a matching AC Charger/Adapter for it. Any suggestions?
I don't wanna break things by using an underpowered one - tried with one I had at hand, but SMO got a bit framey in parts where I wasn't used to it, so I guess that was a power thing.

Edit: Woops, way too big pictures

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a Switch game card case that will fit into the mesh pouch from the Zelda special edition? Will the Hori or Amazon cases fit?

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So I just posted an article detailing how to upgrade your MicroSD card, and wanted to link it here for those who still have questions (or want a proper reference).

http://switchtactics.com/2017/11/13/how-to-upgrade-your-nintendo-switchs-microsd-card/

Hopefully that answers any questions you might have, and is detailed enough to be followed by pretty much anyone (while not being too wordy). Oh, and ff anyone's got any more questions for the FAQ throw 'em at me. :)

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
So I just got this 'dock' for my Switch. Seems to work fine, I just need to pick up a matching AC Charger/Adapter for it. Any suggestions?
I don't wanna break things by using an underpowered one - tried with one I had at hand, but SMO got a bit framey in parts where I wasn't used to it, so I guess that was a power thing.

I have this exact dongle and am curious what your experience is with it. For me, it has a problem when waking the console from sleep mode. The TV will not display an image unless the dongle (or just the HDMI cable) is unplugged and reinserted. It worked without a problem at first but started having this problem when the 4.0 update came out. I even got the dongle replaced in case it was faulty, but same problem.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I'm strongly contemplating purchasing a Switch for myself as an early Christmas gift (and after selling a couple of things to lower the price).I've got a question about the SD cards though. Are larger SD cards a mandatory purchase if I don't plan to go all digital? Will physical copies of games still install a portion to the SD card?

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I'm strongly contemplating purchasing a Switch for myself as an early Christmas gift (and after selling a couple of things to lower the price).I've got a question about the SD cards though. Are larger SD cards a mandatory purchase if I don't plan to go all digital? Will physical copies of games still install a portion to the SD card?
Most physical copies have patches at or soon after release that do well to fill the Switch and/or memory card. Some even have additional bits you need to download to even play the game (or its multiplayer bits). IMO, even if not buying digital at all, everyone should get AT LEAST a 32GB card - and if you're getting some digital and a lot of physical games you really should go bigger.

I've got around 70 games, with about a dozen physical, and I've filled both the internal memory and over 40GB of my 64GB card.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
New owner here!

Quick question:

If I rent physical games from GameFly and decide to purchase a different physical copy later, I can use my saves on the new cart or does it have to be the same?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
The Target in my area had a dozen Switches for the last month, was like that a few days ago too, now they have two. Guess the holiday shopping has started. Hopefully Nintendo keeps sending out more.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
So far my only gripe with my Switch is that the screen is too blue/cold. All my displays (TVs and monitors) are calibrated for warmer whites and even my iPhone with TrueTone turned on provides a more accurate whitebalance.

So going to Switch portable is always jarring cause it's so blueish. Wish the Switch had a setting to adjust it :(

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
So I just posted an article detailing how to upgrade your MicroSD card, and wanted to link it here for those who still have questions (or want a proper reference).

http://switchtactics.com/2017/11/13/how-to-upgrade-your-nintendo-switchs-microsd-card/

Hopefully that answers any questions you might have, and is detailed enough to be followed by pretty much anyone (while not being too wordy). Oh, and ff anyone's got any more questions for the FAQ throw 'em at me. :)

Thank you for this but I do have a question. Since save data is saved to the console itself is it required to copy this Nintendo folder over? Would there be problems with just inserting the new card and redownloading games?

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Hello new Switch fam <3

I just obtained my first Nintendo console since the N64 (not counting the 3DS which I've had for a few years now)! Managed to catch a lightning deal on Amazon UK, got the Neon Switch, Zelda and Odyssey for £330, which felt like a pretty good deal.

Played a bit of Odyssey which was super addictive, but I'm really digging into BotW now and having a blast.

My next tech purchase will be a better TV because I'm currently playing on an ancient thing I can't stand (it's seriously like a hotel LCD) and I tried the Switch on a friend's 65" living room TV expecting to see lots of aliasing but instead was blown away by how beautiful everything looked.

Does anybody have experience/ know of any kind of makeshift foam padding strips or whatever to better secure it in the dock?

My major complaint about the Switch so far is how easy it is to pick up and play from the dock because I keep taking it to bed to extend game time and not getting enough sleep for work XD.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know the best place for Joycons in the UK? I got mine on launch day and opted for the grey joycons, but boy would I love the Splatoon 2 set.

They're just so expensive!

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thank you for this but I do have a question. Since save data is saved to the console itself is it required to copy this Nintendo folder over? Would there be problems with just inserting the new card and redownloading games?
Nope, but that's not really an upgrade as much as starting over with game data - haha. You can do it that way just fine, but it seems like a waste of bandwidth and time for most. If neither of those are a factor however, download away!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm planning on tryin to nab a 200gig SD card for Christmas. Couole of questions...

1. How easy is it to transfer my stuff from the old SD card?

2. Where is game saved data actually saved? For cartridge games for instance, is it saved to the cartridge itself?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Nope, but that's not really an upgrade as much as starting over with game data - haha. You can do it that way just fine, but it seems like a waste of bandwidth and time for most. If neither of those are a factor however, download away!

Oh okay I see thank you!! I'll definitely do it your way, was just curious as prior to reading your post I was just going to pop it in as is lol. Thanks again!

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Most physical copies have patches at or soon after release that do well to fill the Switch and/or memory card. Some even have additional bits you need to download to even play the game (or its multiplayer bits). IMO, even if not buying digital at all, everyone should get AT LEAST a 32GB card - and if you're getting some digital and a lot of physical games you really should go bigger.

I've got around 70 games, with about a dozen physical, and I've filled both the internal memory and over 40GB of my 64GB card.

I didn't even factor in patches contributing to the storage space. Thanks for the info!

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So I'm planning on tryin to nab a 200gig SD card for Christmas. Couole of questions...

1. How easy is it to transfer my stuff from the old SD card?

2. Where is game saved data actually saved? For cartridge games for instance, is it saved to the cartridge itself?

1A: Pretty easy, just follow this guide; http://switchtactics.com/2017/11/13/how-to-upgrade-your-nintendo-switchs-microsd-card/

2A: On the system's internal memory. Only game data and patches are relegated to the MicroSD, and AFAIK the cartridges aren't writable - so nothing saved/downloaded goes there.

Oh okay I see thank you!! I'll definitely do it your way, was just curious as prior to reading your post I was just going to pop it in as is lol. Thanks again!

Any time, glad to help.

I didn't even factor in patches contributing to the storage space. Thanks for the info!

Again, any time. I always join these threads primarily to help out. :)

Oct 25, 2017

That looks neat. Where did you get it?

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Hey all

I'm planning to get a Switch for the holidays. I am curious on how the Zelda performance is now after all the patches? All the Wii U comparisons have shown it drops a lot of frames in docked mode which is the mode I will probably be spending most of the time in.

Thanks!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have this exact dongle and am curious what your experience is with it. For me, it has a problem when waking the console from sleep mode. The TV will not display an image unless the dongle (or just the HDMI cable) is unplugged and reinserted. It worked without a problem at first but started having this problem when the 4.0 update came out. I even got the dongle replaced in case it was faulty, but same problem.

Ah, okay - will report when I tried it some more. That won't be a problem for me though, since it will be used as a travel solution - when I visit a friend to play some games e.g. - so I most likely won't wake it up from sleep. As long as it works and doesn't break anything, I'm more than happy.

That looks neat. Where did you get it?

Got it on ebay. Bought https://www.ebay.de/itm/Coov-SH350-...h-/142523031792?rd=1&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT this one for 17 Euro including shipping. Seems to be the same one that's on Amazon for 30-40 bucks but under a different name. Same pictures and all that.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
If you don't plan to go all digital then they're absolutely not mandatory right now (depending on which games you want to play and how many). If you're planning on diving in with only Nintendo's first party titles you'll be fine - Zelda has 300MB patch on it right now to give you some idea of the sizes you'd be looking at. On the other hand, some third party physical games do require sizeable downloads - Doom needs 8GB, NBA 2K18 needs basically the whole Switch from what I understand, and LA Noire would need 14GB on your system.

So say you got Doom and LA Noire you would still have a few GB to play around with for downloading indies. I'd say hold out and get the biggest/best value card you can in the Black Friday sales if you're planning on getting more than a couple of third party games because it sounds like it's going to be a growing problem going forward. But right now don't feel like it's urgent unless you're looking at more than one of the games I mentioned.

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey all

I'm planning to get a Switch for the holidays. I am curious on how the Zelda performance is now after all the patches? All the Wii U comparisons have shown it drops a lot of frames in docked mode which is the mode I will probably be spending most of the time in.

Thanks!
It performs very well after all the patches. Most of the drops have been eliminated, which you probably won't see in comparisons as most are from early on. Look for videos with version numbers noted (post 1.1.2), as those will show you better.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have been playing a lot of ARMS & MK8 online lately but I am sorta craving an MP shooter on the system so what do you guys think about Splatoon 2 is the campaign good? Does it play well with the pro controller gyros ? Is the community still alive and healthy?

I just ticked over 300 hours of Splatoon 2...

I clearly love the game and I think the hour count says it all.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi me, found my answer on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R2NLKDOOFVMYQF?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl
rFr9Gfr.png

Hori seems like it's the way to go!

I looked into a bunch of game cases, and the one I ended up with was this one (link). Very hard plastic on the outside, and a very sturdy rubber on the inside. And each slot can house a game and a memory card underneath it. Many switch game cases make getting the games in and out a chose or feel like you're going to either break the card or the plastic on the slot holding it, but the case I linked doesn't. It also comes in multiple exteriors. I got the one that's red with a Mario 'M' symbol.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
It performs very well after all the patches. Most of the drops have been eliminated, which you probably won't see in comparisons as most are from early on. Look for videos with version numbers noted (post 1.1.2), as those will show you better.

Awesome, thanks! I figured they would have ironed it by now. I do have a feeling the portable side of the switch will take up most of my time though with all this indie support.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed some cracks at the top of my switch, to the left of the power button. =/ I think some people were mentioning this as an issue before?

I don't remember any significant drops or anything, so I'm not even sure where it's come from.

Fortunately it's only very minor at this stage, but kind of annoying, and disappointing considering I've not really had it that long.

Edit: I remember where I saw it https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._the_back_of_your_switch_cracks_forming_near/

Exact same place too, seems a common issue. =| Must be a design flaw.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1A: Pretty easy, just follow this guide; http://switchtactics.com/2017/11/13/how-to-upgrade-your-nintendo-switchs-microsd-card/

2A: On the system's internal memory. Only game data and patches are relegated to the MicroSD, and AFAIK the cartridges aren't writable - so nothing saved/downloaded goes there.

Huh. So the system has it's own separate internal memory for game saves? Did not know that, so what happens when that fills up? And also because of that, if I let's say switched to a digital copy of Zelda from my physical one, I'd still have my game save?

Thanks for the info!

Sour

Oct 28, 2017
Debating on pulling the trigger on Golf Story, anyone got a reason why I should hold off?

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Huh. So the system has it's own separate internal memory for game saves? Did not know that, so what happens when that fills up? And also because of that, if I let's say switched to a digital copy of Zelda from my physical one, I'd still have my game save?

Thanks for the info!
The internal memory of the system is ~32GB in total, with ~25GB available to you. If you don't have a MicroSD card, game saves and game downloads/patches will go to the internal memory - if you do, only saves go there. If you fill up the entire internal memory with save data (or a combination of save and game data) you won't be able to save any more.

As for moving between digital and physical, yes - you'll keep your save and be able to continue on the new media type (the save is stored on the system after all).

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
A few questions popping up here about save game data - just to point this out for those that don't know, not only is this saved to the Switch's internal memory, not only is it locked to one Switch, but it CANNOT be backed up. Not to a USB device when docked, not to a microSD card, not to the Cloud. Lost your Switch? Then you've lost your save game data. Accidentally deleted your save games? They're gone. Your Switch has developed a serious failure and the Nintendo service center can't access the save game data? Well, guess what - yes, it's gone.

And so on.

Nintendo are doing Switch owners a terrible disservice by not implementing save game backups. I've lost count of the number of reports that I've read about people losing their save games.

"But the Switch has a new Transfer system" you say. It has indeed, but that's not a backup. It takes the profile and save game data from one Switch and moves it over to another, once done the data is deleted from the source Switch. This has only a very limited application and, as mentioned, is not a backup.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I looked into a bunch of game cases, and the one I ended up with was this one (link). Very hard plastic on the outside, and a very sturdy rubber on the inside. And each slot can house a game and a memory card underneath it. Many switch game cases make getting the games in and out a chose or feel like you're going to either break the card or the plastic on the slot holding it, but the case I linked doesn't. It also comes in multiple exteriors. I got the one that's red with a Mario 'M' symbol.
Thanks for the reply, that's actually great feedback. I have numerous Hori cases for 3DS / DS and it can indeed be really hard to get the carts out. I want more than 12 game storage, and I also want it to fit in the little mesh pouch in the Zelda SE Switch case. I'm going to pop over to Nintendo NY after work and see what they have available. If they don't have Hori and the one you mentioned will fit, I'll consider it since they DO have it at Best Buy and I have some My Best Buy certificates.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Finally bought a case over the weekend as I brought the system over to my sister's place for some Jackbox and Use Your Words.

Doubt it'll get much use. Waste of $20 unfortunately, but it'll be nice to have the handful of times I'll need it I guess.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the reply, that's actually great feedback. I have numerous Hori cases for 3DS / DS and it can indeed be really hard to get the carts out. I want more than 12 game storage, and I also want it to fit in the little mesh pouch in the Zelda SE Switch case. I'm going to pop over to Nintendo NY after work and see what they have available. If they don't have Hori and the one you mentioned will fit, I'll consider it since they DO have it at Best Buy and I have some My Best Buy certificates.
For what it's worth, every Target I've ever been to has them.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
A few questions popping up here about save game data - just to point this out for those that don't know, not only is this saved to the Switch's internal memory, not only is it locked to one Switch, but it CANNOT be backed up. Not to a USB device when docked, not to a microSD card, not to the Cloud. Lost your Switch? Then you've lost your save game data. Accidentally deleted your save games? They're gone. Your Switch has developed a serious failure and the Nintendo service center can't access the save game data? Well, guess what - yes, it's gone.

And so on.

Nintendo are doing Switch owners a terrible disservice by not implementing save game backups. I've lost count of the number of reports that I've read about people losing their save games.

"But the Switch has a new Transfer system" you say. It has indeed, but that's not a backup. It takes the profile and save game data from one Switch and moves it over to another, once done the data is deleted from the source Switch. This has only a very limited application and, as mentioned, is not a backup.

Well yeah, this is like the #1 issue with the Switch right now. When I had that black screen I posted a while back and thought my system was dying, I was worried more about the saves than the system. We have cloud saves on every current system, but on the Switch I can't do anything, that's worrying. Just sd backup would be great. That transfer update recently was such a bait and switch. For a second I thought save data backup, before reality hit :p

grassblade

Oct 27, 2017
Any of y'all have experience with Controller adapters? I've got a ps4 and x360 controller, and wondering if those adapters can be used to play something like MK8 well?