• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Well yeah, this is like the #1 issue with the Switch right now. When I had that black screen I posted a while back and thought my system was dying, I was worried more about the saves than the system. We have cloud saves on every current system, but on the Switch I can't do anything, that's worrying. Just sd backup would be great. That transfer update recently was such a bait and switch. For a second I thought save data backup, before reality hit :p

Same. I saw the announcement with the new system update, thought "WOW, fantastic!" then a few seconds later was extremely disappointed. I have no idea what Nintendo are playing at with save game data backups (or rather, the lack of).

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I've just seen the following linked to on Reddit and I thought it was worth a mention here too. Ever fancied using a PC keyboard and mouse to play Switch games? This video shows you how - (do be aware that you need to buy a few things to do this and they are mentioned in the video) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjbWJ_VHFs

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I saw the announcement with the new system update, thought "WOW, fantastic!" then a few seconds later was extremely disappointed. I have no idea what Nintendo are playing at with save game data backups (or rather, the lack of).
It was a godsend for me as I was about to buy another Switch (long story) when the update came out. I bought a mario bundle the night of release and transferred all my data easy as pie. Everything took maybe 10 minutes total. However shortly after completing the transfer I noticed a cluster of dead pixels on the new system's screen and had to transfer everything back to the old system before exchanging it. 30 minutes or so later I transferred everything AGAIN from the old-old to the brand new exchanged system. The system transfer feature accommodated me the whole way through. There were no time limits or maximum amount of usages, you can transfer as many times as you want as often as you want. This is a major leap ahead of the 3DS system transfer which can take forever and has a fairly long cooldown period between uses (I think it's like a week or two).

Last edited:

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
It was a godsend for me as I was about to buy another Switch (long story) when the update came out. I bought a mario bundle Switch the night of release and transferred all my data easy as pie... everything took maybe 10 minutes total..... and then I noticed a cluster of dead pixels on the new system and had to transfer everything back to the old system before exchanging it.15 minutes later I transferred everything AGAIN from the old-old to the brand new exchanged system. The system transfer feature accommodated me the whole way through. There were no time limits or maximum amount of usages, you can transfer as many times as you want as often as you want. This is a major leap ahead of the 3DS system transfer, which can take forever and has a fairly long cooldown period between uses (I think it's like a week or two).

The new Transfer function is great for what you needed to do and is a godsend in your particular circumstances, or when about to send in your Switch for repair, or if you have been sharing your Switch with somebody else who then gets their own and wants their profile moved across. However, that's it - it has no more uses. These are good reasons, don't get me wrong, but they are very limited - the amount of people who will use the Transfer function is relatively small and a Transfer is not a backup, a feature that would be used by most if not all Switch owners. I just can't bear the thought of losing my save data for whatever reason. We NEED the ability to properly backup the saved game data.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I've still got plenty to do in Mario and Zelda but despite that... it hurts seeing these people on my friends list playing Xenoblade. I want it now!

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good dungeon crawler out for Switch yet? I was just thinking to myself how much I'd enjoy Diablo 3 on it. Now I have an itch.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
New Switch owner here (Just tried out Mario and it's awesome), will be getting Zelda this weekend and will probably get Sonic Mania at some point this week to play in bed.

Have a glass screen protector in my Amazon basket at the moment (my Switch won't be moving too far/being docked till it's here). Also worried about dock scratches; what are the best protective methods/products (On Amazon UK if possible). There are a couple aimed at switch owners but as it's just sticky padding is there anything better?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does the system download games in sleep mode? Want to download Rocket League in an hour before going to sleep.

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
It's still on my wishlist so I can't give impressions, but Severed is a first person dungeon-crawler that's well received.
Severed is great, but usually when I bring it up as a dungeon crawler people dismiss it. It's not a pure dungeon crawler style experience, and is rather short compared to most of them, but it is indeed a great game. I wrote a review of it when I was at Switch Player, and it's spoiler free (if you're interested).

http://switchplayer.net/2017/08/18/severed-review/

Does the system download games in sleep mode? Want to download Rocket League in an hour before going to sleep.

Yes, it does.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I could hug whoever recommended the JETech portable case for handheld mode. Jesus it's so much more comfortable.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you paid $300 for the Switch, bought 3 $60 games... the reason I bought the system... yet I spend all my time on the Switch playing Stardew Valley... the game I already owned beforehand!

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in the eShop thread, but it's probably better here in hindsight.

Kingdom: New Lands got updated on Switch and they are claiming they fixed the performance issues.

I haven't checked for myself yet but if they are telling the truth then I highly recommend people pick that game up. It's a a beautiful, relaxing and yet intensely difficult city building/tower defence game which takes place on a 2D plane. We had a thread about it in the old place and I had to warn people to skip purchasing it just because the framerate was completely unplayable on Switch after the first couple of islands but otherwise it's a perfect fit for the Switch.

bZj3TAD.jpg

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Someone has apparently figured out how to get KBAM working in-game on the Switch:

https://youtu.be/nb0PLHvsBKQ

The catch is that it requires several adapters and a laptop. Also Nintendo could possibly see this as hacking so attempt at your own risk.

Here's the video that goes in-depth on the steps required:

https://youtu.be/tjjbWJ_VHFs

A better alternative may be the ReaSnow Cross Hair - http://www.reasnow.com/introduction.html

this needs a firmware update for Switch support

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If I buy the Zelda DLC from the South African store would it work with my UK game/account?

Can't say anything defintive, but the eShop registeres if you have bought something on the same switch in another region and marks it as already bought. I would think you'd be able to download it from the UK store too if you bought it. Like I said - didn't try myself, not entirely sure though.

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
If I buy the Zelda DLC from the South African store would it work with my UK game/account?

Can't say anything defintive, but the eShop registeres if you have bought something on the same switch in another region and marks it as already bought. I would think you'd be able to download it from the UK store too if you bought it. Like I said - didn't try myself, not entirely sure though.

Like Xyla says, things will tick off cross region and you can download the item from your local store even if bought in another region.

That said, not ALL games and DLC are made equal, and some have their own unique SKUs in which that will not work. We don't know which ones are like that 'til someone tries though, and I've not heard of anyone trying the Zelda DLC.

Try at your own risk until someone who has actually done it chimes in.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Kingdom: New Lands got updated on Switch and they are claiming they fixed the performance issues.

I haven't checked for myself yet but if they are telling the truth then I highly recommend people pick that game up. It's a a beautiful, relaxing and yet intensely difficult city building/tower defence game which takes place on a 2D plane. We had a thread about it in the old place and I had to warn people to skip purchasing it just because the framerate was completely unplayable on Switch after the first couple of islands but otherwise it's a perfect fit for the Switch.

bZj3TAD.jpg
Keep us updated! Very interested in this little game.

Sour

Oct 28, 2017
My copy of LA Noire arrives tomorrow and I've just realised I don't have enough space on my Switch...

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My wallet is looking at me like a crazy person. It knows I want Skyrim, LA Noire, Doom and Rocket League all on Switch. In addition to Lego Marvel... I never thought I'd be playing so many third parties on this thing.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone recommend me an sd card, 256gb? Not sure which are compatible and what speed I should be looking for. Tons of new games coming this month and I'm gonna need to be ready. My poor wallet :(

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So this just happened. I have no idea which to play first though. It's a nice problem to have.

pEt6SH0.jpg

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
So this just happened. I have no idea which to play first though. It's a nice problem to have.

pEt6SH0.jpg
Congrats! I'm playing both right now. I like playing Mario during the day/evening, but like playing BOTW in bed before I go to sleep. It relaxes me, whereas Mario requires closer attention, precision, and the challenges stress me out. Have fun, you're in for some of the most high-quality gaming I experienced all year.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Congrats! I'm playing both right now. I like playing Mario during the day/evening, but like playing BOTW in bed before I go to sleep. It relaxes me, whereas Mario requires closer attention, precision, and the challenges stress me out. Have fun, you're in for some of the most high-quality gaming I experienced all year.
I like the idea of playing them at different times of the day depending on mood, etc. I might try this approach and kick things off with Odyssey first.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Just hit 503 moons in Mario Odyssey and beat the final challenge. Looking for a break before I go back and clean up the rest of the moons and I am having a hard time deciding between Golf Story and Steamworld Dig 2. How much RPG is in Golf Story? It's not favorite genre, the only one I've ever beaten is Pokemon R/B.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Keep us updated! Very interested in this little game.
Just got through the second Island. Had some minor dips in framerate when a lot of enemies and a lot of archers collided right at the end but was solid other than that which is already a massive improvement.

Hopefully Island 3 is just as improved because that's where I stopped before because I was getting drops to 3-4FPS and it was literally unplayable before.

I feel pretty safe saying that it's worth buying now.

Oct 25, 2017
For people that own the Switch stand , how often do you find yourself using it ? Trying to decide if it's worth picking up or not. (My playtime is evenly split between docked and tabletop mode).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For people that own the Switch stand , how often do you find yourself using it ? Trying to decide if it's worth picking up or not. (My playtime is evenly split between docked and tabletop mode).
While I don't have one, I see the immediate benefit of being able to have it undocked, but with a charge cable still attached. Also more stable compared to using the flimsy kickstand. If you're spending half your time in tabletop mode, I think it'd be worthwhile buy, especially since they're one of the cheapest accessories for the system.

ninboy

Nov 1, 2017
I got the HORI one for an trip I was making last month (4 hours flight) and it was a godsend. The previous trip I took I used the built in one and it sucked hard. Now I have the stand on my case at all time.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Is there a consensus on what's preferred to use when playing on the TV, the joycons separate or in the controller adapter? I assume it comes down to personal preference but I'm inclined to go with the adapter first.

Letting them charge up while I think of all sorts of questions. :P

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Is there a consensus on what's preferred to use when playing on the TV, the joycons separate or in the controller adapter? I assume it comes down to personal preference but I'm inclined to go with the adapter first.

Letting them charge up while I think of all sorts of questions. :P
IMO it depends on the game, and where or how long I'm playing. Do what feels comfy. :)

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA

I'm very interested in this game; glad I held off as I was unaware of any bugs. Keep us posted!
Just got through the second Island. Had some minor dips in framerate when a lot of enemies and a lot of archers collided right at the end but was solid other than that which is already a massive improvement.

Hopefully Island 3 is just as improved because that's where I stopped before because I was getting drops to 3-4FPS and it was literally unplayable before.

I feel pretty safe saying that it's worth buying now.
Ah, nvm! Good to hear.

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to connect to University Wifi? More specifically Eduroam since it requires a username and password to connect.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to connect to University Wifi? More specifically Eduroam since it requires a username and password to connect.

Nope. But depending on how aware your IT dept is, you can use a Windows 10 based laptop to connect, then create a WiFi hotspot that the Switch can connect to. Don't blame me if you get WiFi access revoked though ;)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I follow Nyko on Facebook and they recently posted about two new products: a wired controller alternative to the Pro Controller and a replacement metal kickstand.

I looked over their website and man oh man do they push some really absurd accessories. They make an intercooler for the Switch dock for Christ's sake.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
One of my favorite little discoveries is that the WiiU gamepad stand is a perfect stand for the Switch as well:

41UaS78qbgL._SY355_.jpg

The one below is next to my pc and I use it as an in-house Switch stand, it's great. I didn't even use this as my WiiU pad was in the charge cradle. So I dug it out out of the box and it's found its true calling.