• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, the Joy Cons that come with the Switch are awful. The left Con has a dead-zone, and now the right Con lags. As nice impressive as this console can be, there is no excuse for the shoddiness in other areas.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda curious, why does the first post in this topic have so many damn pictures of different controllers?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I just had a scare where my controller was attached to the dock to charge, and my daughter accidentally pulled it, causing the switch to come tumbling down. The main damage was to a joycon which was bent so that the plastic connector came out, but I shoved it back and it seems ok.

But it got me thinking: basically if I brick my switch for whatever reason, my saves are toast, right? I think this is the only system I've ever owned with that kind of risk; cartridge systems generally saved state on the cartridge, and disc systems had memory cards/sticks/whatever. Why don't they allow saves to be moved onto memory cards (or in the cloud), is that some kind of security issue for them or something?

Oct 27, 2017
It's an indicator. One of many.
Sorry to bring this back up but I was on vacation. No it's not. It indicates nothing that has anything to do with sales on the grand scale. You simply cannot discern sales from store stock levels, you can't even get a basic idea for sales based on stock levels. That's just not how distribution works.

edit: I suppose if you sat there and monitored a stores stock levels for months on end you might get a very small indication of how things are going in your area but thats it. However simply going to walmart (or two.. or ten) and noticing that the shelves are full/bare of consoles means absolutely nothing other than that the shelves are full/bare.

Last edited:

evetS

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Asia
Hi, everyone. I'm looking to buy the C-force CF003 dongle/dock and would a third party USB PD charger with 14.5V output work for docked play? Or is 15V the only compatible voltage?

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm finally joining the party and considering buying a Switch on Amazon. What do I need to know going into buying it? Do I need a screen protector, SD or anything else? I'm just thinking of getting the console itself and pick a game afterwards. Just wanted some first time buyer advice and would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My 50" LED TV is mounted to my wall and I'd like to attach the front face of the Switch dock to the back of my TV using very strong double sided adhesive tape.
But would I find any issues regarding controller range and wi-fi?
Thank.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm finally joining the party and considering buying a Switch on Amazon. What do I need to know going into buying it? Do I need a screen protector, SD or anything else? I'm just thinking of getting the console itself and pick a game afterwards. Just wanted some first time buyer advice and would appreciate any help. Thank you.

You don't absolutely need any of those things, though a screen protector at least would be a good idea. You won't need an SD card right away unless you're going to download more than a couple of digital games, or if you buy something like NBA 2k18 which specifies on the box that you'll need one for space reasons.

Sour

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm going to Japan next week for a few weeks on holiday. I was wondering if anyone knew of a list of Japanese games that are exclusive to Japan but have english translations. For example I know Monster Hunter is Japanese exclusive but it doesn't have an English translation.

Bump from the bottom of the last page.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017

I would definitely recommend a screen protector:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=era0f0-20

Great protector and is very easy to apply. Everything else is really up to you. The Pro controller isn't necessary but is definitely a great addition. If you are planning on getting that controller make sure to buy the Xenoblade edition, its the same price but it's got the improved D-pad. SD card is not necessary yet unless you're planning on getting games that need a specific amount of space to fully play or you're planning on getting a few indie games through the Nintendo Store. Carry case might be nice too if you're planning to take it with you, I got this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Traveler-Deluxe-Travel-Breath/dp/B01N357OCG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515095979&sr=1-3&keywords=switch+carrying+case&th=1

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Woow, finally.
NBA Playgrounds update is available on the Switch via a NEW VERSION OF THE GAME you have to download (don't delete the savegame of the old game).

Took them long enough...

Dec 18, 2017
So are there any rumors of, or does anyone have any idea of when in January the supposed Direct might be?

Or are we totally in the dark?

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The warranty on this thing is supposed to be 12 months, right? My purchase document says March 2nd 2017, I entered that on the CD Media website because I want to get my Joy-Con fixed but it's telling me that my warranty seems invalid.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice everyone. Will defiantly consider a screen protector and case. Last question; have the controller issues been fixed and other problems?

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I need a little help. Is this real of just a fan mock up? Cant seem to find info, which makes me think it is fake...

edit: removed image as it was fake.

Last edited:

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Hey all, finally hopping aboard the Switch train. Got one with Zelda on the way and I've got some questions. Hope you guys can help.
  • In a situation where I need to charge the device but don't have the dock, can I use an ordinary USB type-C charger to charge the device?
  • Can the console export screenshots to pen drives like a PS4? I love taking screenshots and always take them to my PC after finishing a game. I know that there's a screenshot button but I need to know if there other exporting methods other than social media.
  • When buying things off PSN, I buy $ codes off of Amazon, put the code in my account then buy stuff. Is the process similarly simple on Switch? Or are there other things I have to take into account, like if the wallet system is wholly different?
  • Is there a recommended region to set an account? I live in a country which is never an option when making accounts so I'd like to know for which country setting an account would be best; US, UK etc.
Sorry if the questions sound dumb, but it's my first Non Playstation console in a while, so I'm pretty clueless. Thanks in advance!

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, finally hopping aboard the Switch train. Got one with Zelda on the way and I've got some questions. Hope you guys can help.
  1. In a situation where I need to charge the device but don't have the dock, can I use an ordinary USB type-C charger to charge the device?
  2. Can the console export screenshots to pen drives like a PS4? I love taking screenshots and always take them to my PC after finishing a game. I know that there's a screenshot button but I need to know if there other exporting methods other than social media.
  3. When buying things off PSN, I buy $ codes off of Amazon, put the code in my account then buy stuff. Is the process similarly simple on Switch? Or are there other things I have to take into account, like if the wallet system is wholly different?
  4. Is there a recommended region to set an account? I live in a country which is never an option when making accounts so I'd like to know for which country setting an account would be best; US, UK etc.
Sorry if the questions sound dumb, but it's my first Non Playstation console in a while, so I'm pretty clueless. Thanks in advance!
I gave your questions numbers, and will answer in kind.
  1. Yes, but many don't have the power to charge the system as quickly as the standard Nintendo-provided plug, and some low quality plugs can damage your system.
  2. Not pen drives, but you can save to an inserted microSD and then use that to offload to PC (the Switch must be off before removing or inserting the memory card).
  3. You can do the same thing, just with eShop cards instead of PSN cards.
  4. The best practice is to have multiple accounts, but US is always a good region to use as your base (especially if your country is unavailable). US eShop cards are easy to get, and they get the bulk of the games.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I gave your questions numbers, and will answer in kind.
  1. Yes, but many don't have the power to charge the system as quickly as the standard Nintendo-provided plug, and some low quality plugs can damage your system.
  2. Not pen drives, but you can save to an inserted microSD and then use that to offload to PC (the Switch must be off before removing or inserting the memory card).
  3. You can do the same thing, just with eShop cards instead of PSN cards.
  4. The best practice is to have multiple accounts, but US is always a good region to use as your base (especially if your country is unavailable). US eShop cards are easy to get, and they get the bulk of the games.
Wow, all sounds reasonable enough. Looks like adjusting to console won't be too hard. Thanks very much for the quick answers mate!

Any other tips and tricks I might need to know?

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Wow, all sounds reasonable enough. Looks like adjusting to console won't be too hard. Thanks very much for the quick answers mate!

Any other tips and tricks I might need to know?
Hmm. I can probably give some good ones.
  • System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers is a good thing to hit right after you've updated the firmware to the latest version. It'll require that you've got the Joy-Con plugged into the console, but will then update them to the latest version. A lot of people getting new Switches miss that.
  • Save data goes on the internal memory only, so you might want to ensure you've got a microSD if you're going to be buying a lot of games (or any of these digitally).
  • If your Joy-Con won't sync with your system, simply hit the sync button (it's on the bit that connects to the Switch) and then slide it into the console. Seems to work every time.
  • There are a ton of demos out. Try some!
  • Update your games! (If auto-update isn't on, or you want to check manually, go to the icon, hit "+" on the controller, select "software update," and then "via the internet.")

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Hmm. I can probably give some good ones.
  • System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers is a good thing to hit right after you've updated the firmware to the latest version. It'll require that you've got the Joy-Con plugged into the console, but will then update them to the latest version. A lot of people getting new Switches miss that.
  • Save data goes on the internal memory only, so you might want to ensure you've got a microSD if you're going to be buying a lot of games (or any of these digitally).
  • If your Joy-Con won't sync with your system, simply hit the sync button (it's on the bit that connects to the Switch) and then slide it into the console. Seems to work every time.
  • There are a ton of demos out. Try some!
  • Update your games! (If auto-update isn't on, or you want to check manually, go to the icon, hit "+" on the controller, select "software update," and then "via the internet.")
Thanks again!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Where are they even getting that alleged February release date from the "leak"? Don't think a fake release window was attached?

Oct 25, 2017
On Tuesday I'll be a new Switch owner, and I just wanted to drop in and check if there's any technical do's/don't's I need to know about beforehand? I bought a screen protector; I remember hearing that the dock was scratching people's systems', is that still a thing?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
On Tuesday I'll be a new Switch owner, and I just wanted to drop in and check if there's any technical do's/don't's I need to know about beforehand? I bought a screen protector; I remember hearing that the dock was scratching people's systems', is that still a thing?

You don't have to worry about that with a screen protector, and it was never vastly widespread, but did happen to some.

Other than a screen protector, you may want to invest in a traveling case. I personally always travel with a bookbag, so I haven't found one necessary. Just toss it in, and nothing can hurt the screen protector.

I don't know whether you plan to go digital or physical, but you can find ~120-200GB SD cards for fairly cheap, considering they'll last you a couple years until better ones become viably priced. I'd recommend getting a small one even if you're going physical, to account for game updates/mandatory patches.

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Sort of. A small percentage are "bent" too far in and make it hard to slide a Switch in without the plastic touching the console, and a small percentage of additional people are just not careful and fucked it up of their own accord while docking. As long as your dock isn't "bent" too far in, and as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have an issue - and with a screen protector it's even less of a worry.

That said, I don't a screen protector, I bought my Switch at launch, I use it every day, and I've got zero scratches.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
Two more games for my Switch, Koi DX and Stardew Valley.

26231006_10208502591482539_8785643012301719679_n.jpg

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I got both Zelda, and Mario for the Switch. I'm looking for a new big Switch release, and I have my eyes set on Xenoblade. But I've heard mixed things about it from both fans, and non-fans alike. As a total rookie to that series, should I take the plunge on it, or does anybody have another recommendation for game #3 in my collection?

Last edited:

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well my Switch setup is finally complete.

L7xJOj2.jpg

I did open up the stick to switch a couple of buttons around so it would be easier to go back and forth between portable play and docked play with the stick for all those NeoGeo games.
Bottom row was B,A,ZR,ZL, which I changed to B,A,Y,X.
And I changed the top row from Y,X,R,L to ZL,ZR,L,R to make more sense as well.

Really good quality stick.
I normally swap out the joystick and buttons with Sanwa parts, and the setup here looks super easy to do just that.
But after playing for over an hour, I don't feel like it's needed at this point. Really happy with the response and feel of them.

Anilones

Oct 27, 2017
So I got both Zelda, and Mario for the Switch. I'm looking for a new big Switch release, and I have my eyes set on Xenoblade. But I've heard mixed things about it from both fans, and non-fans alike. As a total rookie to that series, should I take the plunge on it, or does anybody have another recommendation for game #3 in my collection?
I'm in the same situation but currently leaning towards Skyrim rather than Xenoblade 2.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017

Mario & Rabbids is another solid choice. I loved the game to bits.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking at that one too. The turn-based tactical role-playing is what's making think of going with that one. But is the game challenging. I'm kind of looking for a game that won't go too easy on me.

I found some of the levels quite challenging, especially later on in the game. If you want to get a perfect rating on levels then that will also add to the challenge.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know whether you plan to go digital or physical, but you can find ~120-200GB SD cards for fairly cheap, considering they'll last you a couple years until better ones become viably priced. I'd recommend getting a small one even if you're going physical, to account for game updates/mandatory patches.

This point can't be stressed enough. Even if you go physical, you can very quickly fill up storage with video clips, game updates, demos, and eShop games. Also, (as I learned earlier in this thread), game update data doesn't get shared between the internal memory and the SD card. If you insert an SD card, by default all of your game update data gets saved there. I crippled myself by inserting an old 16 GB SD card I had laying around and I went through that storage pretty quickly.

Better to get an adequately sized SD card up front because transferring over to a new SD card can also be somewhat painful, especially if you have A LOT of data to transfer.

Oct 27, 2017

Skyrim on the Switch IS Skyrim - it's as solid as any other edition. If you want to play Skyrim (again, probably for most of us) it is all there and looks great hand-held, and looks fine on the TV.

Mario Rabbids is a great choice - looks very clean both hand-held and TV, and plays methodically but will reward you if you want to lean into the mechanics and the level layouts - lots of hidden things to find.

Mario Kart 8, while not a single-player campaign, is a great showcase for the console and you can play as little or as much as you want at a time.

As for Xenoblade 2: the handheld factor of the Switch has helped me complete the game more swiftly than if I was forced to rely on being in front of a TV just to play it, and I did not feel I was losing anything during handheld gaming sessions vs. my playtime in front of a TV.

Like the first game, and Zelda and Mario Odyssey, this is a big and long game - well over 60 hours of gameplay time at a minimum. There are also lots of (real-time) cutscenes on top of that, so if you're hung up on parts of the anime-ish art style or UK-region accents of the voice cast, then it won't fly for you. The game's presentation is also a 720p-and-lower image on both TV and handheld - so at best the image is soft - but it is a clean and complete image at all times. Model-wise there are geometry corners cut in a few places, particularly with character fingertips, and low texture resolution in several places, but this serves to support materials rendering, and construct very convincing circular and spherical models at times. The UI is always clear and at top resolution, however, and despite the dynamic resolution there are very few jaggies overall - even on the handheld. English VO is not synced to mouth movements, if that's a concern.

None of this, or your series "rookie" status, should sway you. It has the most rewarding RPG ATB-style system I've ever played, along with the best implementation of healing powers and power-ups of any party-based RPG I've ever played. Any farming or grinding you choose to do (and is kept to a minimum in this game compared to the first Xenoblade, or other games with "kill X amount of enemy Y"-style requirements) can be directly funneled into character-specific combat bonuses, not just raw leveling up - which adds unexpected depth.

The character designs and vocal performances all turned out just fine. The battle systems, story, characters, pacing, and soundtrack all surpass the first Xenoblade - things I thought for sure that would not happen, particularly after Xenoblade X (which is a great game but a different vibe than 1 or 2). It is amazing that this game was completed in three years and released on-time world-wide, minor QOL issues notwithstanding. I hope you check it out.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim on the Switch IS Skyrim - it's as solid as any other edition. If you want to play Skyrim (again, probably for most of us) it is all there and looks great hand-held, and looks fine on the TV.

Mario Rabbids is a great choice - looks very clean both hand-held and TV, and plays methodically but will reward you if you want to lean into the mechanics and the level layouts - lots of hidden things to find.

Mario Kart 8, while not a single-player campaign, is a great showcase for the console and you can play as little or as much as you want at a time.

As for Xenoblade 2: the handheld factor of the Switch has helped me complete the game more swiftly than if I was forced to rely on being in front of a TV just to play it, and I did not feel I was losing anything during handheld gaming sessions vs. my playtime in front of a TV.

Like the first game, and Zelda and Mario Odyssey, this is a big and long game - well over 60 hours of gameplay time at a minimum. There are also lots of (real-time) cutscenes on top of that, so if you're hung up on parts of the anime-ish art style or UK-region accents of the voice cast, then it won't fly for you. The game's presentation is also a 720p-and-lower image on both TV and handheld - so at best the image is soft - but it is a clean and complete image at all times. Model-wise there are geometry corners cut in a few places, particularly with character fingertips, and low texture resolution in several places, but this serves to support materials rendering, and construct very convincing circular and spherical models at times. The UI is always clear and at top resolution, however, and despite the dynamic resolution there are very few jaggies overall - even on the handheld. English VO is not synced to mouth movements, if that's a concern.

None of this, or your series "rookie" status, should sway you. It has the most rewarding RPG ATB-style system I've ever played, along with the best implementation of healing powers and power-ups of any party-based RPG I've ever played. Any farming or grinding you choose to do (and is kept to a minimum in this game compared to the first Xenoblade, or other games with "kill X amount of enemy Y"-style requirements) can be directly funneled into character-specific combat bonuses, not just raw leveling up - which adds unexpected depth.

The character designs and vocal performances all turned out just fine. The battle systems, story, characters, pacing, and soundtrack all surpass the first Xenoblade - things I thought for sure that would not happen, particularly after Xenoblade X (which is a great game but a different vibe than 1 or 2). It is amazing that this game was completed in three years and released on-time world-wide, minor QOL issues notwithstanding. I hope you check it out.

Your post has swayed me a bit on Xenoblade. The anime stuff doesn't bother me much. In fact the wacky anime storytelling is what caught my attention. It's just that I'm worried the gameplay won't hold my attention for it's long running time, and the lukewarm response to the game itself spooks me. As for the other stuff(That isn't Mario+Rabbids)... I'm not much into racing games, so Mario Kart is a pass. As for Skyrim... Like you said, it's Skyrim. I have no interest in playing a port of a game I loved playing, even if it's on a hybrid console now. I bought this system for new experiences, and it's probably why I'll be skipping out on other ports for this console.

Thanks for the advice dude.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
You have only single player games
- buy Splatoon 2
Not into Mario Kart?
- buy Splatoon 2
Didn't play the first Splatoon?
- buy Splatoon 2
Did play the first Splatoon?
- buy Splatoon 2
Don't typically don't like online shooters?
- buy Splatoon 2

The weird formatting of this message may have hidden my point. What I was basically trying to say is buy Splatoon 2!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Your post has swayed me a bit on Xenoblade. The anime stuff doesn't bother me much. In fact the wacky anime storytelling is what caught my attention. It's just that I'm worried the gameplay won't hold my attention for it's long running time, and the lukewarm response to the game itself spooks me.

The gameplay holding your attention shouldn't be a concern. Most people's concern was that it would be too complex, from what I can tell, but they averted that by starting off simply, and very gradually open up each new depth of combat to the player, until it becomes an engaging and fluidly-woven amalgam of combo systems.

And while it does start off slow, with an emphasis on auto-attacks, the story is fast-paced from the beginning, and completely holds your attention.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
from what I read, the japanese shmup community is not too fond of RXN RAIJIN. the story and voice acting is cool but the gameplay is pretty lacking. Take that for what it's worth.