• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
New Era poster, wanted to make my first stop the Switch community!

I was stuck in hospital over the holiday season, and good grief was the Nintendo Switch an absolute life saver for me in that situation. What should have been a completely depressing slog of an experience was somewhat alleviated by the ability to get lost exploring Skyrim, Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey. I can't recall ever being able to lose myself in such lush, open environments on a portable device before.

I just picked up Enter the Gungeon for the system, I'm looking forward to losing dozens of hours of my life to that game again, and I'm probably going to be picking up a few more indies from my wishlist later in the week. I'm really torn between Furi, Steamworld Heist or waiting for Darkest Dungeon.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
To this day, I regret getting the gray unit at launch. I should've purchased the neon unit.

A lot of my friends, myself included are hoping for black units to be made available in retail. Devs are lucky.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to attempt the glass faceplate application this week.

I should run some steaming hot water in the bathroom to what, lower the chances of flying dust particles when I go to apply?

And then something thin like a credit card to smooth out bubbles?

Might as well do the new phone's screen protector too while I'm at it.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018

I should run some steaming hot water in the bathroom to what, lower the chances of flying dust particles when I go to apply?

I also recommend putting two pieces of tape on top to hold it to the switch and help align. Should help stop dust and prevent it from moving.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, bought a switch before Xmas as the Odessy bundle plus having a bunch of trade in credit was too tempting.
The switch has been amazing so far, feels like it has actually achieved the goal of what the wii u could have been.

Anyway, only issue I have is after a bit of playing on mobile my hands cramp up. Has anyone got any ideas of things that could help?
Should I get some sort of plastic casing that makes holding it easier? Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

ShiftaDeband

Nov 15, 2017

If you apply it correctly, you shouldn't need the credit card.

I personally did it in my office where there was a lot less dust. I'd recommend the hinge method. (pre-plan where you're going to place it and align it on the screen, then use some tape to keep it in place at the top or bottom of the unit, then flip it up and remove the backing protector tape, voila.)

Of course, make sure it is polished and clean. I used a clean microfiber cloth followed by compressed air.

The shower may help, but I haven't seen great differences with it.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
So would the right joy con work like a Wii remote for Mario Tennis Aces?

I would imagine that Mario Tennis Aces will support motion controls - it would definitely be a strange omission if they didn't include it. Also, both joy-cons support motion controls so they would (in theory) both function like a Wii remote. The only unique features of the Right joy-con is the IR and NFC sensors.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Guys, help me decide:

- Shover Knight
- Wonder Boy
- Worms WMD
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

What should I choose? (Already have Splatoon 2 and Zelda)

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Question: is there actually a decent, reliable portable switch dock out there yet that I can buy in the UK?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Add to watchlist option have a purpose on the eshop? I can't find a way to actually see this list

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I have one of those defective joycons that desync, damn it. Sending it to Nintendo to fix sounds like a huge pain.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
So i currently own Xenoblade , Odyssey and BotW. Now i'm considering to pick up the following three games:

- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart
- Skyrim

you guys recommend these games?

Also, received the new dock, shame about the logo but it works perfect:

nOhZnyp.jpg

Last edited:

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, bought a switch before Xmas as the Odessy bundle plus having a bunch of trade in credit was too tempting.
The switch has been amazing so far, feels like it has actually achieved the goal of what the wii u could have been.

Anyway, only issue I have is after a bit of playing on mobile my hands cramp up. Has anyone got any ideas of things that could help?
Should I get some sort of plastic casing that makes holding it easier? Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

yea, i'd like some recommendations for grips as well. I see some on amazon, but unsure as to how well they'd work to made handheld play more comfy.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So i currently own Xenoblade , Odyssey and BotW. Now i'm considering to pick up the following three games:

- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart
- Skyrim
I'm assuming you haven't played Splatoon or MK8 on Wii U. They are such different titles, that it's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing your preferences. Mario Kart 8 is a lot more fun if you have friends to play it with, so if you are into couch coop or have an online social circle/Discord that plays MK, then I would definitely go for that. Even without friends though, MK8 is still a ton fun and offers some unique challenges for 1P content. Splatoon 2 has a lot of 1P content, and playing horde mode with randoms can be just as fun as playing with friends. It's not as good as MK8 for me personally, but I prefer racers over shooters anyway.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart
- Skyrim

you guys recommend these games?

Also, received the new dock, shame about the logo but it works perfect:

nOhZnyp.jpg

Just bought MK8 (havent played it) but bought Splatoon 2 a week ago,

Its really GOOD and hella Fun! Cant recommend it enough!

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming you haven't played Splatoon or MK8 on Wii U. They are such different titles, that it's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing your preferences. Mario Kart 8 is a lot more fun if you have friends to play it with, so if you are into couch coop or have an online social circle/Discord that plays MK, then I would definitely go for that. Even without friends though, MK8 is still a ton fun and offers some unique challenges for 1P content. Splatoon 2 has a lot of 1P content, and playing horde mode with randoms can be just as fun as playing with friends. It's not as good as MK8 for me personally, but I prefer racers over shooters anyway.

I played MK8 on the Wii U for about 20 minutes xD Game never really stuck with me as I only played solo. Which is the reason I'm cautious about buying it.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played MK8 on the Wii U for about 20 minutes xD Game never really stuck with me as I only played solo. Which is the reason I'm cautious about buying it.
I'd go with Splatoon 2 then. It's a really good game with a good amount of enjoyable 1P content, and like I said, horde mode is fun to play with randoms.

If you really just want a strong single-player game, then I would guess Skyrim is the best of those three. I've never played it, though.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
yea it's a 3 for 2 deal and I can select from the following games:

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Splatoon 2
- Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Skyrim
- Pokémon Tekken DX
- Rayman Legends
- Fifa 18
- ARMS
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- 1-2-Switch
- Super Bomberman
- L.A. Noire
- Snipperclips Plus
- Doom
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Lego City Undercover
- Ultra Street Fighter II

-------
Now I'm not that big a fan of beat em ups, so games like SF, Pokken and ARMS are games I ain't planning on buying. Same goes for those typical party games like Snipperclips, Bomberman and 1-2-Switch. Puyo Puyo Tetris and Lego don't seem that interesting either. I already played L.A. Noire on the PS3 and played Doom on the PS4. Although Doom was a really fun game, it's one of those games I finish once and then never play again. Oh and Fifa, eww. Which would basically bring the list down to the following games:

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Splatoon 2
- Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Skyrim
- Rayman Legends
- Fire Emblem Warriors

Played Skyrim on the PS3, PS4, and PC, but the fact that this makes the game portable just seems like an amazing experience.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I already have ESO on my PS4 so I would go Splatoon, MK8 and Mario& Rabbids.

But if not, I would prolly choose Skyrim over Rabbids, yes.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fire Emblem Warriors is sort of a beat 'em up. (unless you mean specifically fighters) Mario Kart 8 is basically a party game.

Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Rayman Legends look like your best bets. Rayman has a demo on the eShop you can try out.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors is sort of a beat 'em up. (unless you mean specifically fighters) Mario Kart 8 is basically a party game.

Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Rayman Legends look like your best bets. Rayman has a demo on the eShop you can try out.

not feeling Rayman unfortunately. Also not really that interested in Mario + Rabbids after seeing some gameplay ^^'

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know anything about this Ouko stick?

41i6TwrLXKL._SY400_.jpg

OUKU Q1W 2.4G Wireless/Wired Arcade Fighting Stick for PS4 PS3 PC
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777M5P2T/?tag=era0f0-20

$69

Features
  • Compatible with PS4,PS3,XBOX ONE,XBOX360 and PC,Android, Switch
  • USB Wired and 2.4G Wireless all in Support: D-input、X-INPUT(PC360)、Andriod Mode swich.
  • A SONY PS4 Controller is required when using on a PS4 Game Console
  • Microsoft XBOX 360 or XBOX ONE Controller is required when using on a XBOX 360 or XBOX ONE Console
  • Recommended 5 meters range to use when choose wireless mode;When Charged full, It canlast 20 hours.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone watch the channel Beatemups on Youtubrle? The guy is super charming and his channel is very much Switch focused.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my Switch today! I was looking for the e-manuals and a quick Google search informed me that Nintendo wasn't doing that anymore. In the past I almost always checked the 3DS and Wii U's e-manuals, if only for the novelty of it. It's obviously not a deal breaker, but I'm a bit disappointed to see that Nintendo is backing off on this (and the Activity Log as well). Anyway, great console for sure.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
So still no dockable switch case yet? Would have liked the Skull & Co one, but don't want to wait 2 months to get it.

I already have a glass screen protector on it. But I want to protect the back of it from scratches, too. And have some sort of grips for the joy cons when in handheld mode.

And I definitely don't want to get a 3rd party dock or USB C dock extender thing.

Wish Nintendo would have just issued revised docks by now.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I played 20+ hours of Zelda docked just with one joy con in each hand and it worked great. I didn't play much on Nintendo consoles (just used PS4 and Xbox controllers) but still could adjust to "A" being the "grab stuff" button and "B" being the "cancel" button which is reverse to Xbox and PS4 controllers. Funny thing is since I bought the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller I always press B to grab stuff and A to cancel out of menus. I had absolutely no issue while using the joy cons... the brain works in mysterious ways sometimes.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
So I played 20+ hours of Zelda docked just with one joy con in each hand and it worked great. I didn't play much on Nintendo consoles (just used PS4 and Xbox controllers) but still could adjust to "A" being the "grab stuff" button and "B" being the "cancel" button which is reverse to Xbox and PS4 controllers. Funny thing is since I bought the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller I always press B to grab stuff and A to cancel out of menus. I had absolutely no issue while using the joy cons... the brain works in mysterious ways sometimes.

Been playing mostly with separated Joy Cons, also.

Works fine in Zelda and MK8, but 8n Splatoon 2 it feels like the joystick should also be on the top, just like the left Joycon.

I always struggle a bit to get the right position with my thumb lol

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Pro Controller situation? Has every version the fixed D-Pad or only the Xenoblade ones?

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I really love my Switch but now that Nintendo are using more screen suppliers, it appears the colour balance has changed.
My sons launch Switch has an amazing screen and my recently purchased one is a lot warmer. It's my exchanged one too as my first had an orange screen instead of white.
Or maybe Nintendo have changed the calibration of their screens now.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch the channel Beatemups on Youtubrle? The guy is super charming and his channel is very much Switch focused.

Yep, found his channel recently and really really enjoy it. He's a pretty passionate Nintendo fan so it's fun hearing him compare newer titles against others.

Metaljesusrocks is another channel I really enjoy. Like most of us I assume, he's really into the Switch. I started watching him for the Gameboy videos he has.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch's lineup's really starting to look nice, has there been any word on external hard drive support yet though?

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
You call them they email you a label, you box it and ship it to them, they receive it and send you a replacement. How is that a huge pain? Sent mine to them on a Tuesday and got it back on a Friday.
Nearest post office is pretty far from where I live. Usually I can just get a postman to pick it up from my residence, not sure if they'll have something like that for whatever mailing label they'll mail me.

Also I only have the joy cons my switch came with at the moment so it'll be out of commission for a while.. I need to get a standard controller already.

Yeah, wish he'd stop with the clickbait titles though.

Last edited: