• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a prospective future Switch owner but the price situation kind of bothers me. Just like 3DS games (I've only bought one last year), popular Switch games seem to hardly drop in price (even used) and as a PC and Playstation owner, I've adopted a sales mentality which seems to not exist in the Nintendo ecosystem.
My issue is that I'm happy to try out numerous games at the 10-30€ pricepoints (basically, 40% or more off from the starting price), because there's less money lost if I don't like something. Now Switch games on the other hand... I see no indication of the ones that start at 40+ ever going into that range.

How do people who have been on Switch or recent Nintendo systems view this situation? Are sales more common than I think? Is there a way to get the games at such prices without scouring for the dregs of used games, which gets worse the longer you wait?

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'm a prospective future Switch owner but the price situation kind of bothers me. Just like 3DS games (I've only bought one last year), popular Switch games seem to hardly drop in price (even used) and as a PC and Playstation owner, I've adopted a sales mentality which seems to not exist in the Nintendo ecosystem.
My issue is that I'm happy to try out numerous games at the 10-30€ pricepoints (basically, 40% or more off from the starting price), because there's less money lost if I don't like something. Now Switch games on the other hand... I see no indication of the ones that start at 40+ ever going into that range.

How do people who have been on Switch or recent Nintendo systems view this situation? Are sales more common than I think? Is there a way to get the games at such prices without scouring for the dregs of used games, which gets worse the longer you wait?

There are regular sales on eShop games, plus the eShop prices are (overall) lower than the first-party or physical games. You can get lots of great eShop Switch games for $10-$20.

Last edited:

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018

What Auros01 says is true, but also you do have to accept the fact that Nintendo games generally keep their value for far longer than 3rd party titles. Mario Kart DS released at 40 bucks, and didn't see its' first price drop until 10 years later. Now, its worth more than the original price. Nearly all Nintendo first party games hold value exceptionally well. Many of my older games are now worth 3-4x more than when I bought them.

Nintendo does do a lot more sales now than they used to, but still, don't expect a 5 dollar Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This stuff actually holds their value for a very long time, unlike most other dev's games.

Matthaeus

Feb 24, 2018

There do seem to be less sales for physical games than there are for other systems but Best Buy at least has a few games on sale every now and then when I check online. Even those tend to be the same every week though with Breath of the Wild, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey and Rayman Legends making regular appearances. I myself have been waiting for Doom and Skyrim to go on sale since I own both on PC already but have yet to see them discounted.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
There do seem to be less sales for physical games than there are for other systems but Best Buy at least has a few games on sale every now and then when I check online. Even those tend to be the same every week though with Breath of the Wild, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey and Rayman Legends making regular appearances. I myself have been waiting for Doom and Skyrim to go on sale since I own both on PC already but have yet to see them discounted.

Doom was discounted at one point, although I don't recall what percent it was discounted at. The discounts do happen - especially on third party games like Doom or Mario vs. Rabbids. It's usually on the eShop though... not so much in Stores. You just have to keep an eye out or check the Sales section of the eShop weekly.

But yea - don't expect the first party games to go on sale that often.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Post how you get on. I've got two pairs of joycons so I'd be happy to send a pair off if they'll fix or replace them.

So, here's an update on my joy-con wiggle story.

I called customer service to ask about it and they told me to see if I can try other joy-cons before I send the entire console or if I just need to send the joy-cons. I ended up buying a new pair (the green and pink Splatoon themed ones) because I was going to buy new ones anyway and it's pretty much the same. So I got worried about my Switch itself being the problem but when I tried the joy-con straps, there was the same slight wiggle there as well.

I've come to the conclusion that the slight wiggle on my console is just by design and that I'm overly sensitive about it. So I won't be sending my Switch or my joy-cons in. However, this might be different for you.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Doom was discounted at one point, although I don't recall what percent it was discounted at.
I'm pretty sure DOOM was around $42 on the eShop back in January.

AlsoZ - There are definitely deals for Switch games, you just have to watch the sales notices like for any other system. I just picked up Steamworld Heist for $7.50 myself (had around 700+ gold coins). Watch the eShop threads, they're a great place to hear of sales.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a Switch for my birthday from the wife, came with Breath of the Wild, and she says I can have another game she just wasn't sure if I would have wanted Mario Odyssey or something else.

Any must buy digital games? I've heard a lot about Stardew Valley, I played Harvest Moon back on the PS1 many moons ago I assume it's a modern non-Nintendo made similar sort of game? I nearly bought it on PS4, but it seems more suited for a portable these days.

Also how's Minecraft? I enjoy the relaxing nature of playing it generally, and have it on PS4, but again it seems like a game that would be nice to play on the move.

Also any word on any sort of virtual console coming? It was nice having SNES games on my 3DS, would love me some Super Metroid on this.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Switch-ERA, I've got a serious ass problem.

BotW, on your shelf, is it sequenced as an L or a Z?

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Just got a Switch for my birthday from the wife, came with Breath of the Wild, and she says I can have another game she just wasn't sure if I would have wanted Mario Odyssey or something else.

Any must buy digital games? I've heard a lot about Stardew Valley, I played Harvest Moon back on the PS1 many moons ago I assume it's a modern non-Nintendo made similar sort of game? I nearly bought it on PS4, but it seems more suited for a portable these days.

Also how's Minecraft? I enjoy the relaxing nature of playing it generally, and have it on PS4, but again it seems like a game that would be nice to play on the move.

Also any word on any sort of virtual console coming? It was nice having SNES games on my 3DS, would love me some Super Metroid on this.

Celeste, Steamworld games, Golf Story, Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley… Lot more, it just depends on your tastes.

No news of VC yet, you have some ACA titles available though (Arcade and NeoGeo).

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

If you're a fan of Super Metroid you should pick up Axiom Verge for your Switch. Also, everything olobolger suggested is fantastic gaming and should not be missed.

Vargavinter

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking of getting myself a good cartridge holder since me and my son tend to swap games a lot I think that it would just be easier to have all the cartridges in one case. I always like used HORI stuff for my different Nintendo accessories but it seems that people think that it holds the cartridges to hard and you get the feeling that it will damage the cartridge. Can someone recommend me a good game card case?

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I am sure there have been many threads about "must haves" but I can't seem to find them, can I get a link or a list of games? Specially the not so obvious ones (Mario, Zelda)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caught this quote on Kotaku's This Week In Business and it sure does make me worry as games and their patches continue to get larger. I imagine the problem facing developers will only get worse when the PS5 and XB2 arrive. I'm sure the prospect of Switch ports will become even smaller as those consoles are sure to arrive before Switch 2 does.

QUOTE | "Switch is not as powerful as a PS4 or Xbox One. Everyone knows that. But the difference isn't as big as the general perception would have you believe." - Abstraction Games CEO Ralph Egas says the studio's biggest challenge in porting Ark: Survival Evolved to the Switch was not processor power, but getting everything they needed to fit on a 16GB cartridge (32GB cartridges can be used, but are pricey).

I mean, hell, 32GB is still about 18GB smaller than a cheap dual-layer BD disc.

I'd also take this as indication that Ark will have a big Day-1 patch and we'll continue to see more games force users to download big chunks of data. They're not going to pay for those game cards. It's the damn N64 cartridge all over again.

You accept that you will pay mostly full prices and deal with it or you just don't buy a Nintendo system. I've been dealing with it forever.

Helps if you own other platforms and aren't stuck with relying on a Nintendo console as your primary console.

I am sure there have been many threads about "must haves" but I can't seem to find them, can I get a link or a list of games? Specially the not so obvious ones (Mario, Zelda)
Everyone's must haves are different.

Easiest thing to do is go to Metacritic's Switch page > All Games > By Score

Battle Chef Brigade is my recommendation, btw.

Last edited:

Matthaeus

Feb 24, 2018
Caught this quote on Kotaku's This Week In Business and it sure does make me worry as games and their patches continue to get larger. I imagine the problem facing developers will only get worse when the PS5 and XB2 arrive. I'm sure the prospect of Switch ports will become even smaller as those consoles are sure to arrive before Switch 2 does.

QUOTE | "Switch is not as powerful as a PS4 or Xbox One. Everyone knows that. But the difference isn't as big as the general perception would have you believe." - Abstraction Games CEO Ralph Egas says the studio's biggest challenge in porting Ark: Survival Evolved to the Switch was not processor power, but getting everything they needed to fit on a 16GB cartridge (32GB cartridges can be used, but are pricey).

I mean, hell, 32GB is still about 18GB smaller than a cheap dual-layer BD disc.

I'd also take this as indication that Ark will have a big Day-1 patch and we'll continue to see more games force users to download big chunks of data. They're not going to pay for those game cards. It's the damn N64 cartridge all over again.
Yeah, this more than anything is probably why the Switch is not seeing less multiplatform games. Digital game sales are increasing every year for consoles but physical remains more popular by far and I think a lot of publishers do not think it is worth it to release games on a cartridge based console with a smaller install base.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Hello gang, hope you're well.

My next Switch purchase is probably Octopath Traveler, and I just noticed it's not listed on Amazon or Game here in the UK. I know there's a special edition, but is the normal game getting a retail release?

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rayman Legends is 19.99 now at Target and Best Buy. Cheaper if you have a Red Card or GCU. That's my price point to get me to double dip.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My next Switch purchase is probably Octopath Traveler, and I just noticed it's not listed on Amazon or Game here in the UK. I know there's a special edition, but is the normal game getting a retail release?

yeah it's getting a retail release

there's also a nice demo if you haven't played it yet

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
I finally figured out how to top up my Japanese Switch account without having to resort to extortionate top up cards/applying for a Japanese credit card. I remembered that using the eshop on a Japanese 3DS, you can charge up your Nintendo account balance with a foreign credit card. I then linked the account to my Japanese account in the Switch eshop, and the balance carried across, allowing me to spend it on Switch software.

I treated myself to J.B. Harold - Manhattan Requiem, which is actually the second J.B. Harold title released on the Japanese eshop to date (the first was J.B. Harold - Murder Club), but the first that includes a full English language option. This Visual Novel murder mystery series may not be familiar to many due to its age and having mostly been confined to Japan-only releases, but has sold millions of copies since the 1980s across a varied array of systems. The writer/designer of the earliest games by Riverhillsoft, Rika Suzuki, later worked at Cing on the likes of Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, and the Trace Memory/Another Code games - and many aspects of visuals and gameplay are visibly shared across all her works.

I'm tempted to put together an OT for the J.B. Harold series at some point, but for now, here are a few shots of it running on my Switch.

I love the Hotel Dusk games! You just got me interested in trying that game out, since portable murder mystery visual novels are perfect for the Switch. I searched for it on the Japanese eShop and it costs Y990. Is tax already included in that price? And will Japanese eShop cards for the WiiU/3DS work if I want to add funds?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Nya

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Hotel Dusk games! You just got me interested in trying that game out, since portable murder mystery visual novels are perfect for the Switch. I searched for it on the Japanese eShop and it costs Y990. Is tax already included in that price? And will Japanese eShop cards for the WiiU/3DS work if I want to add funds?

Yep, ¥990 is the full price including tax. I'm not 100% certain about using Japanese Wii U/3DS eshop cards (I used a credit card, as stated). I can't see why they wouldn't work when topping up your Switch balance, I just can't confirm it myself.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Celeste, Steamworld games, Golf Story, Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley… Lot more, it just depends on your tastes.

No news of VC yet, you have some ACA titles available though (Arcade and NeoGeo).

I had the first Steamworld Dig game on PS4 but didn't play much of it, probably because I had a different game I wanted to play at the time and it got left behind, along with many other games over the years. I had a look at the second dig game has had some good reviews, should I play the first before the second?

As for my taste I'm not even sure these days, there's few games I haven't found enjoyment in. Stardew Valley seems to crop up a lot in Switch game discussions, and I feel like Shovel Knight was a big indie game everyone wanted a couple years ago, so I might pick up both anyway.

If you're a fan of Super Metroid you should pick up Axiom Verge for your Switch. Also, everything olobolger suggested is fantastic gaming and should not be missed.

Cool, if it's generally as enjoyable as Super Metroid I'll orobably pick it up next pay day, maybe once I'm finished with one of the other games so I don't end up with a backlog a month into getting a new console.

Whats this Hollow Knight I also see mentioned a lot, it's not out and doesn't have a date, but apparently is coming and is quite popular.

I was looking through the store and just saw the trailer for this and just downloaded the demo, it looks super interesting.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So given how little Nintendo has done with the Switch OS over the last year in terms of useful features (which is baffling, this shit is super successful but they're taking their damn time with basic features), how long do you think it will be before we get folders, or at least pins? I'm really starting to get anxious about it when I look at my digital library.

How about cosmetics, maybe more than two background colors? Is it really hard to add a few more colors?

My pipe dream is that we get stickers like 3DS badges but hi-res and not limited to tiles, rather, you can resize, rotate and stick them anywhere ala LittleBigPlanet, or like stamps.

But really, more than anything, I just want some damn folders.

Why are folders so hard? Why did it take PS4 years to implement them? Serious question.

Not sure you can go that lo without buying any of the awesome games coming out between now and then.

Like, everyone should buy Mario Tennis Aces.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I can't say Mario tennis is very appealing to me. I'll buy other games that are coming too Switch before then, but I'll get them on PS4. Dark Souls and Lumines certainly.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Got any recommendations for a good but cheapish carrying case? I regularly take my Switch to my medical appointments. I just need something not too large to carry the Switch and the charger.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Got any recommendations for a good but cheapish carrying case?
I love the Butterfox hard case, only $20 or less and I can carry enough gear for an entire day out (Switch, 2 more joycons, wrist straps, USB A-to-C cable, and charger). The only catch is that I'm using a generic compact charger, so I can't charge and play at the same time, but I haven't found that to be a problem at all.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I'd like to share my opinions on Japanese third party support on Switch so far:

Namco: This is a realy good year for Namco, they're literally releasing tens of games. But only a faw of them are for Switch: OP Pirate Warriors 3, Naruto Collection, Dark Souls, My Hero Academia. I'm not against ports but ports Namco chose to bring Switch a little old I think. I don't know why they don't port more recent stuff. Like, all those anime games for PS4, none of those are particularly system pushers. Why not Naruto Shinobi Striker instead of UN Storm collection? Why Not OP World Seeker isntead of another Musou game, Pirate Warriors 3? Are they still testing us? Do they really want to see sales numbers of Pirate Warriors 3 and UN Storm Collection to bring Shinobi Striker and and World Seeker? If they do, then where is our reward for buying Xenoverse 3 millions??? Come on Namco, you've been one of the best supporters of Nintendo, don't bail out now. We have already passed your "tests", we want our prizes right now.

Square-enix: Everyone loves Square's Switch support, except me. The problem with Square is, they now treat Nintendo gamers differently than others. They think Nintendo platform owners are nothing but nostalgia-nuts, little kids and casual players. Their support so far is a proof of this. Everyone is crazy about Octopath nowadays but I think Square's "big" Switch project is this because we're supposed to be crazy about anything nostalgia and traditional turnbased, grindy RPGs. I mean, we haven't had a proper Final Fantasy title on Nintendo systems since 2009's 4 Heroes of Light and Square has been strangely reluctant to localize their other DQ games. We wouldn't got DQ 3DS games if it weren't for French fans yet still there are important DQ games left unlocalized (where the hell is DQMJ3????). They need to treat Switch no different than PS4 and PC, we deserve a modern RPG or Eidos games as much as other guys. How about do what Sega does (VC4)? Start a new RPG project that uses Switch as the base system? Will we ever see something like this? Will we ever see a modern FF RPG on Switch? Will Kingdom Hearts ever return to Nintendo?

Capcom: "We will port games that never ever have been Nintendo systems" Cool. "Here you go, Okami." Aaaand? "Nothing. that's just it. Oh and also, we will gift SF4 to the people who buy SF Collection on other platforms. We could have ported SF4 to Switch, but we chose not to. No reason". They are literally the worst. I expect absolutely nothing from them, best they do is bring games that they could have also put on upcoming Virtual Console. They don't even bring MHXX to west because... Because of what????

Konami: lol

Sega: Among all, they are the best. I love what they're doing. They actually made big game using Switch as the base platform and it's one of the most desired RPGs: Valkyria Chornicles. And it doesn't end here. They're currently funding a huge UE4 RPG for Switch (SMT5) and they make surprise announcements out of nowhere: Shining Resonance. Not to mention there are hints of upcoming Sonic racing game.

Koei-Tecmo: So far so good but I'm gonna complain anyways. Too many musou games. They support Switch but it's nothing compared to what they did for Vita for its first year: Two ports of Ninja Gaiden, an excellent port of Dead or Alive 5, revival of an old game: Deception. I'd like to see something big from them but for now it's all about Musou.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My cheap wire pircture frame stand solution in action:

DZViLPyW4AEyBnM

DZViOmVW0AI0m_w

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My switch crashed 3 times today :(.

Once when booting up rocket League, twice during LEGO City.

Hopefully I won't have to send it in :(

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Physical damage.

How do i go about getting another?

Is it amFilm? If it is, it should have come with a warranty.

https://www.techmatte.com/Warranty.aspx

At TechMatte we understand that screen protectors can be difficult to install - whether you are a beginner or pro. Because of that, we offer our customers a simple, hassle-free replacement for absolutely any reason, at any time after the original purchase.

It is our goal to have complete customer satisfaction. We will provide a replacement or refund for your product should there be any defect from the manufacturer or from shipping and handling. If for any reason we are unable to send a replacement (should the item be discontinued), we will offer a refund, or a new product of equal purpose and value.

For purchases outside of the United States of America, we will handle all quality-related issues by issuing a full refund for the purchased product and paid shipping cost.

Our Lifetime Replacement Warranty covers one (1) replacement of the originally purchased product for damage incurred from user error. Subsequent replacements (outside the scope of product defectiveness) are not covered by this warranty.

If you ordered via Amazon, just input your Order ID at this link:

https://www.techmatte.com/WarrantyClaim.aspx

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've just grabbed one of these. Is Micro SD the card type I'm looking for. I was going to consider physical boxes, but 128GB isn't that expensive an outlay.

Unless I'm missing any cart vs card benefits. Although I'm feeling nostalgic for boxes.

I also need to decide on a first game! Thinking Breath Of The Wild. I want Skyrim and XB2, but no point in getting a shit load of massive games all at once.

Is there a bargains notification thread here? UK prices?

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I've just grabbed one of these. Is Micro SD the card type I'm looking for. I was going to consider physical boxes, but 128GB isn't that expensive an outlay.

Unless I'm missing any cart vs card benefits.
Yeah, you want microSD.

And if you're playing with your Switch a lot, you will quickly appreciate the convenience of having all your games available instantly. I've got a 200GB card and switching from Zelda to DOOM to Kirby to Riptide Renegade to SteamWorld Heist to whatever else is just great.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think we'll start seeing Hori, 8bitdo and others begin producing more custom third party JoyCons now that the first one is being released?

At that $25 price point I'd buy a lot of retro controller inspired JoyCons. Maybe we'll start seeing them once Virtual Console launches.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Do you guys think we'll start seeing Hori, 8bitdo and others begin producing more custom third party JoyCons now that the first one is being released?

At that $25 price point I'd buy a lot of retro controller inspired JoyCons. Maybe we'll start seeing them once Virtual Console launches.

it can only be used in the handheld mode and doesn't have acceleration, gyro sensor or vibration features.

aka its pretty pointless

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it can only be used in the handheld mode and doesn't have acceleration, gyro sensor or vibration features.

aka its pretty pointless
It's only pointless if you're looking for a permanent replacement for your left JoyCon.

The price is right. I will buy one and keep it in my travel case. Whenever I want to play a game like Street Fighter on the go it will be there, I don't need those features for that.

At home I'm going to use my 8bitdo SNES30 for The D-Pad regardless.

Still hoping Nintendo makes a fully-features D-Pad JoyCon, though.

I've had my Switch since November and never once have I ever been in a situation where I'm sharing the JoyCons with a second player. It's a cool idea in theory but in practice it's unused. Even if I did have local MP situations I wouldn't foist a single JoyCon on someone, it's a terrible controller when used horizontally.

I have not encountered a situation where I'm playing spontaneous tabletop multiplayer somewhere and I doubt I ever will. But I'm an adult, maybe it's practical for kids.

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Nintendo brings back interval connection checking for ethernet adapter users. I'm going to stop leaving the switch in the dock while on standby to avoid any possible heating issues.