• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking it's time to get a Micro SD card for my Switch, I'm thinking on a 128GB SanDisk one, is the Ultra good enough? Or should I get an Extreme one?

For comparison:SanDisk Ultra 128GB Micro-SD & SanDisk Extreme 128GB Micro-SD

$40 for 128gb is the best compromise in space and price.

Still, I've heard plenty of people have already filled 128gb and if more games start taking up 20+ GB in space we all will soon.

I've personally had my 64gb Vita card maxed for years, could probably fill another one with the rest of the digital games I have, but they don't make bigger cards. I hate not having all my games on the system, it's too easy to forget I own half the games I do.

On the other hand, you definitely start paying a lot more for smaller and smaller increases in size after 128gb. $70 for $200gb? $109 for 256?

On top of that, I'm deathly afraid of these expensive microSD cards burning out. I've had cards fry on me before and I'd shit a brick if a $100 memory card just stopped working one day.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Thanks guys, I'll go for the 128GB Ultra for now. I'm a physical over digital guy, but I think the extra storage space is becoming neccesary between updates, DLCs and a couple of digital only games here and there.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys, I'll go for the 128GB Ultra for now. I'm a physical over digital guy, but I think the extra storage space is becoming neccesary between updates, DLCs and a couple of digital only games here and there.

If you prefer physical then I imagine 128gb will be good for you, maybe even last the gen.

Me, I'm all-digital. It just makes more sense for a handheld to have all the games on the system. It makes even more sense with the Switch where one of the central gimmicks is spontaneous table-top multiplayer. But I also hate fiddling with game cards and discs. It's great to be able to set the system down somewhere and pick it up anytime and instantly launch into whatever game is on my mind.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why the Archive feature is such a godsend, such a great feature for digital buyers.
That's true, the archive feature is pretty fantastic. But I'm also neurotic and some part of me needs the assurance of knowing I could play a game on a whim without having to download it...

What I'd really like right now if some damn folders. I've been buying these Psikyo arcade games recently and I want to group them all together. Drives me nuts.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
That's true, the archive feature is pretty fantastic. But I'm also neurotic and some part of me needs the assurance of knowing I could play a game on a whim without having to download it...

What I'd really like right now if some damn folders. I've been buying these Psikyo arcade games recently and I want to group them all together. Drives me nuts.
It's like an unwritten rule at this point that no system can have folders unless it's at least two years old. Bizarre, especially when both the U and 3DS both had them implemented (eventually.)

I have a weird thing in that I like to arrange my games in chronological order. This gets annoying if I buy/play an older game as I then have to boot a bunch of other games when I finish it so I can re-organise to my liking.
Adding manual ordering/sorting of games is the big one for me. That, folders and themes feels like they're still way off.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like an unwritten rule at this point that no system can have folders unless it's at least two years old. Bizarre, especially when both the U and 3DS both had them implemented (eventually.)

I have a weird thing in that I like to arrange my games in chronological order. This gets annoying if I buy/play an older game as I then have to boot a bunch of other games when I finish it so I can re-organise to my liking.
Adding manual ordering/sorting of games is the big one for me. That, folders and themes feels like they're still way off.
I'd really appreciate a pinning option on Switch and PS4. I like that on Vita, 3DS, Wii U, iPad, etc, the games stay right where I put them.

I try to organize my game folder by genre, but it gets tricky when the genre lines get blurred. I also get torn between seperating my retro ports from the modern stuff. Do I keep all my Neo Geo or PS1 Classics in one folder, or do I mix them in with the rest based on genre? Do I put all my Virtual Console games in one folder or seperate them by system?

Regardless, I would really appreciate some control.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Still, I've heard plenty of people have already filled 128gb and if more games start taking up 20+ GB in space we all will soon

I filled up a 128 and a 200 GB card easily. I now got a 400 GB card.

i got 65 of my 70 eShop games installed Still got 137 GB free space

cfRSBuo.png

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
I've just ordered a switch and was looking for some advice on accessories most notably a screen protector.

I think I would prefer a tempered glass one (but that last time I put one of these on my phone it significantly hampered the responsiveness of the screen) so if that's gonna be a thing I'll use a film one instead recommendations anyone I live in the UK?

The other question is I'd really like to grab some extra controllers so I can use it for all its couch co-op glory. Now as much as I would like one their is no way I'm paying the nintendo tax on a pro controller, so should I look at picking up a extra pair of joy-cons (can a single Joy con be used to play most of the switch couch co-op games?) or grab a couple of the much more reasonably priced licensed Wired Controllers?

Thanks for any advice.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I have no problems with my glass screen protector. And getting an extra pair of joycons lets you have up to 4 players easily.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
think I would prefer a tempered glass one (but that last time I put one of these on my phone it significantly hampered the responsiveness of the screen) so if that's gonna be a thing I'll use a film one instead recommendations anyone I live in the UK?

Glass screen protectors have zero impact on the Switch's touch or visual fidelity. I'd really recommend one; I use amFilm.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I've just ordered a switch and was looking for some advice on accessories most notably a screen protector.

I think I would prefer a tempered glass one (but that last time I put one of these on my phone it significantly hampered the responsiveness of the screen) so if that's gonna be a thing I'll use a film one instead recommendations anyone I live in the UK?

The other question is I'd really like to grab some extra controllers so I can use it for all its couch co-op glory. Now as much as I would like one their is no way I'm paying the nintendo tax on a pro controller, so should I look at picking up a extra pair of joy-cons (can a single Joy con be used to play most of the switch couch co-op games?) or grab a couple of the much more reasonably priced licensed Wired Controllers?

Thanks for any advice.
I have the Spigen tempered glass protector because I've had great experiences with their phone protectors.

No issues. No loss in touch functionality. It's great.

Those cheaper wired controllers don't have HD Rumble or tilt/motion. So, for instance, you wouldn't be able to complete several shrines in BOTW with one of them.

Honestly, the Pro Controller is worth the purchase.

Other than that, look into the 8bitdo controllers.

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't find a dedicated Mario Kart 8 Deluxe thread, so figured I'd ask here. For 4-player MK8 on Switch, do I need to buy anything more than the game and an extra set of joy-cons?

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problems with my glass screen protector. And getting an extra pair of joycons lets you have up to 4 players easily.

Glass screen protectors have zero impact on the Switch's touch or visual fidelity. I'd really recommend one; I use amFilm.

I have the Spigen tempered glass protector because I've had great experiences with their phone protectors.

No issues. No loss in touch functionality. It's great.

Those cheaper wired controllers don't have HD Rumble or tilt/motion. So, for instance, you wouldn't be able to complete several shrines in BOTW with one of them.

Honestly, the Pro Controller is worth the purchase.

Other than that, look into the 8bitdo controllers.

Thanks for the advice guys I've grabbed a tempered screen protector and will just hold on with the controllers until I find some at a "reasonable" price.

On the subject of the 8bitdo adapter that allows you to use other controllers on the switch how many of those could I plug into the system and do they support rumble and motion sensors (I'd be using it with Dualshock 4 controllers)?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there no official thread for Mario kart 8 deluxe? Understandable if not, but I just bought it finally.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Thanks for the advice guys I've grabbed a tempered screen protector and will just hold on with the controllers until I find some at a "reasonable" price.

On the subject of the 8bitdo adapter that allows you to use other controllers on the switch how many of those could I plug into the system and do they support rumble and motion sensors (I'd be using it with Dualshock 4 controllers)?
The 8bitdos connect just like the pro controller over Bluetooth . No adapter needed.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! Any good management/tycoon games for the switch?

I think its the perfect platform

Feb 10, 2018
Ok somthing odd just happened to my switch.

I was in the ARMS tutorial and the fan went full blast for about 30 seconds?

Its gone back to silent now, but is this normal?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new Rocket League patch is not what I was looking for.

Not sure why anyone would want to drop from 60 to 30fps in a competitive, twitchy online game just for a resolution bump and some fancier effects.

Pinball FX3 should have that option to do the reverse, though.

First, to answer your question, the 8bitdo adapter *does* support the gyroscope and rumble in the Dualshock 4.

But so does the Magic-NS. Get this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-Magic-NS-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B07413R4HS

The Magic-NS does all the stuff the 8bitdo adapter does + it has HID support which means you can use wired USB controllers (and by extension any retro controller with a USB adapter), too. Particularly useful if, like me, you have PS3/4 arcade sticks. With all the great arcade games on Switch you may want to use one.

It's $5 more but well worth it for the extra utility.

As the above poster mentioned you don't even need the adapter for the 8bitdo controllers and I highly recommend the SNES30. It's $30 and it looks and feels exactly like a real SNES controller, even more so than the controllers that come with the SNES Classic Mini. Excellet for 2D and oldschool games.

Mind you, I'm talking about the regular SNES30, not the more expensive Pro that adds analog sticks and extra shoulder buttons. I haven't used one of those.

Last edited:

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
How long should it take for a game to show playtime on my profile? I bought Doom a few days ago since it was on sale and have definitely played over 10 hours but it still says first played 5 days ago

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
On your profile when checking the number of hours played for each game, some games are highlighted in green while others are in the regular black/white text. Anyone know why that's the case? I thought the green highlighted your most played games because Zelda and Xenoblade 2 were the only ones on my Switch. But I just started Blossom Tales and that is green as well. I think I only have an hour into that game at most.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I'm setting up all my Nintendo account stuff on my switch and I'm confused. So my user ID/email is used just for login purposes, right? Nobody ever sees this username?

When and where are my Nintendo account nickname and my generic profile name on my switch used? What will people see online?

Example:
My generic switch's profile is "Christian"
My Nickname for my Nintendo account ( that I set up on the Nintendo account site) is CGriffiths
My user ID/email are my chosen names/email

What of these is he name people see if I play online?