• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
That said, I am always skeptical of claims like "The Switch has a lot of shovelware," because the people making those claims typically consider "shovelware" to be "anything I am not interested in." Every time I ask them to give me a list of this alleged shovelware, they either toss out a dozen low-budget titles (which is a pittance out of a library of 1,000+ games) or just silently backpedal away.

The Switch has a lot of shovelware, and a lot of gaps that need to be filled, but it's already a very strong library. That was my original sentence, the back half is important too.

I don't see how the fact of it is objectionable; it does have a lot of shovelware, and it is also true that successful platforms invite it. Steam, the App Store, PS and XB stores all have the same shovelware titles as well. The Switch has a strong library already, I'm just repeating myself now, but again, the gaps are obvious too. YouTube just arrived today. It'd have been so so wonderful if Switch could've started with at least the same amount of content available on the eShop as the Wii U, at least with the sort of basic 'necessities' if you will.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The Switch has a lot of shovelware, and a lot of gaps that need to be filled, but it's already a very strong library. That was my original sentence, the back half is important too.
I know; I wasn't calling you out specifically, but it's a sentiment that gets tossed out too easily around here. Even if you ignore the hyperbole, it's annoying when people say "the Switch eShop is flooded with shovelware" yet fail to give examples of said shovelware flood. And then when you press them on the issue, they break out their broad brush and say "all indies are shovelware", "all games with retro-style graphics are shovelware", "anything not AAA is shovelware", "anything I don't like is shovelware", etc.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I know; I wasn't calling you out specifically, but it's a sentiment that gets tossed out too easily around here. Even if you ignore the hyperbole, it's annoying when people say "the Switch eShop is flooded with shovelware" yet fail to give examples of said shovelware flood. And then when you press them on the issue, they break out their broad brush and say "all indies are shovelware", "all games with retro-style graphics are shovelware", "anything not AAA is shovelware", "anything I don't like is shovelware", etc.

I hear you, for sure! There's absolutely an element of subjectivity, 'shovelware' is a judgment term, a pejorative. I'm just saying that it is also simply a fact of the state of the library.

Ideally the Switch's library will soon grow into a more diverse one with more offerings. That's the reason the claim gets bandied about a bit -- bc there is a sort of massive gap of "middle class" titles between the AAA must-haves, and the indies. Right now that middle area is sort of just occupied with Deluxe versions of Wii U games.

There is also a lot of repetitiveness in the shop so far. It may make economic sense to the teams, but it's not attractive to me as a consumer -- there's only so much of the 8/16-bit aesthetic charm you can squeeze from me, at this point. For me personally, my appetite would be satiated with Deluxe versions of NBA Jam, Batman Arkham, Madden, NHL, and Star Fox.

Ironchimp

Dec 16, 2017
I know this has been asked to death but I am about to buy a Pro controller so I'd like to know what is the consensus regarding which one is the best controller.

is the official one the best or are there any 3rd party ones I should probably look into? thanks for any help

I have only tried the official one and it is the most comfortable controller i have ever used. I would give it 10/10 if the triggers were analogue but Nintendo don't seem to like analogue triggers....

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
Hello! New switch owner here, a few questions

Is there any recommended micro SD card? I'm hunting for the biggest size I can find but I'm wary of buying something that'll be too slow or will have issues with the switch (also wary of buying fake SD cards but Amazon is really my only option atm)

Also, any must buy accessories? So far I already have a pro controller, and .. that's pretty much all I have for it, aside from games.

Any general info/tips would also be much appreciated!!

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is there any recommended micro SD card? I'm hunting for the biggest size I can find but I'm wary of buying something that'll be too slow or will have issues with the switch (also wary of buying fake SD cards but Amazon is really my only option atm)

Also, any must buy accessories? So far I already have a pro controller, and .. that's pretty much all I have for it, aside from games.

Nintendo life has this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...intendo_switch#best-switch-micro-sd-cards-usa

Might give you a good idea about which sd card to get

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
If you're planning on buying digital games (and it's super convenient for a portable system), Is recommend 128GB at a minimum. That will let you store a healthy variety of titles at any time. Games you don't play any longer can be archived, which removes them from your SD card but keeps your save data -- you can download the game later and resume where you left off. For reference, I've got a 200GB card, have over 30 games on it, and still have around 40GB free.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

These are the two I use...

400GB Sandisk
Samsung U3 256GB

The Sandisk for space, and the speed is fine for the Switch. The Samsung is a U3 spec, so faster, and has decent space as well. (I use it for 4K video in my drone at times)
Neither of those are referral links.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
When using Amazon, make certain the text above the "add to cart" button says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." (Sometimes it says Amazon LLC for reasons unknown to me.)

Doesn't necessarily remove the possibility that it will be counterfeit, from my understanding reading the Amazon reviews, but probably makes it easier to return.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't necessarily remove the possibility that it will be counterfeit, from my understanding reading the Amazon reviews, but probably makes it easier to return.
Try not to put too much faith in Amazon reviews. If it's the same named item, reviews are all clumped together. Sandisk MicroSD reviews, a lot grouped together regardless of the size and speed ratings.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Try not to put too much faith in Amazon reviews. If it's the same named item, reviews are all clumped together. Sandisk MicroSD reviews, a lot grouped together regardless of the size and speed ratings.

Right, but when I was looking at discounted 400GB mSDs from Amazon, there were some relevant verified purchasers who received counterfeits. It notes which size product they purchased on the comment.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Sorry to bump this, thought this might be the best place to ask.. is there a Nintendo/Switch discord for era?

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am looking at getting Nintendo Switch Online so I can play Diablo, Smash, etc online with friends. If me and a group of friends go in together on a family plan are there any limitation or anything else we should be aware of?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A friend switch stopped accepting THE internet connection he used after an update almost a month ago

he tryed lots of things and nothing.
it appears black out and cannot connect
It can connect to a spoofed conection by a phone

Any idea what could be ?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I am looking at getting Nintendo Switch Online so I can play Diablo, Smash, etc online with friends. If me and a group of friends go in together on a family plan are there any limitation or anything else we should be aware of?

Only the 8 people limit. That is the only limitation. Oh region doesn't matter, but make sure it set to a country that has an eShop. Do note if it's set to Japan but they don't live in Japan they can't download the NES app.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Rogue Legacy before, but I've put a ton of hours into a few Rogue-lites and I know I'll like it. My question is: Would it be helpful/smart to know anything going in? Or should I just play it blind?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

Hey, me and and Kevtones were looking to do a family plan as well. Do you have a full group or can we hop in as well? Its just the 2 of us.

With all 8 slots filled, NSO becomes a $4.3 split! Let me know what you plan to do!

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm and loving my Switch, between games like botw, the indie titles and upcoming revivals like R-Type, I'm in heaven.
My Switch and PS4 have brought me some of my greatest gaming memories ever.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw on Twitter that Abzû is coming to the Switch, how did I miss this? This game is awesome!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's more like Journey but underwater, similar set pieces where you go fast with beautiful vistas. Really great game, not much in common with Endless Ocean, though it did kind of scratch that itch for me.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So, now I have three active switch consoles in the house. I have to do a family nintendo online now. smh I just freakin' paid for a single 1yr subscription two months ago.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here been having problems with their joycons? When playing breath of the wild I notice that both analog sticks on my joycons are moving by themselves.

TeeCii

Nov 18, 2018
Haven't used my Switch much at all in the past few months besides some short train journeys or with some drunk mates. I don't think this year has had a drought of games like some believe but besides the Tropical Freeze and Crash ports not much has appealed to me and tbh (warning: heresy in 3, 2, 1...) Let's Go and Smash aren't really either. Though I will probably get both soon-ish. No point waiting for them to go on sale anyway in a world where Breath of the Wild is still £50.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't used my Switch much at all in the past few months besides some short train journeys or with some drunk mates. I don't think this year has had a drought of games like some believe but besides the Tropical Freeze and Crash ports not much has appealed to me and tbh (warning: heresy in 3, 2, 1...) Let's Go and Smash aren't really either. Though I will probably get both soon-ish. No point waiting for them to go on sale anyway in a world where Breath of the Wild is still £50.
I hear you. I'm personally really looking forward to Smash but indies have basically sustained my year.

Games I've bought in 2018:
Okami HD
Game Dev Story
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
Octopath Traveller (sold after getting to Chapter 2, really bored me)
Hollow Knight

So while I can't say it's been a dead year, I've certainly not bought as many titles for my Switch as I thought I would. Wait, Warframe comes out tomorrow...?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So, apparently it's a hassle to move a game from internal storage to an SD card?
Glad I didn't download Smash yet before I got a card.
If you have an SD card do downloads just default to there?

any other weirdness with internal/microSD card I should be aware of?

What happens if you, say rent a cart version of a game, and then decide to buy it digitally? Do you lose your save?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So, apparently it's a hassle to move a game from internal storage to an SD card?
Glad I didn't download Smash yet before I got a card.
If you have an SD card do downloads just default to there?

any other weirdness with internal/microSD card I should be aware of?

What happens if you, say rent a cart version of a game, and then decide to buy it digitally? Do you lose your save?

What's the hassle? Should just be able to delete the game from your internal storage, then redownload it with the SD card in, and it'll default there.

If you have an SD card, downloads default there, yes. Saves are stored on the system itself, regardless of if you have an SD or cart, so you'll never lose your saves unless you lose your Switch without a Nintendo Online cloud backup.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
What's the hassle? Should just be able to delete the game from your internal storage, then redownload it with the SD card in, and it'll default there.

If you have an SD card, downloads default there, yes. Saves are stored on the system itself, regardless of if you have an SD or cart, so you'll never lose your saves unless you lose your Switch without a Nintendo Online cloud backup.

The hassle part would be redownloading 16GB of data rather than simply transferring what you already have downloaded.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a screen protector they'd recommend? Not looking for anything amazing - just something that gets the job done and isn't horribly ugly.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I think my dock is broken. I bought a Switch Ethernet Adapter during the summer, the official one from Hori since third party adapters just refused to work with my system. Now the thing just starts to lose connection after a couple of minutes. It started out by signal loss for a couple of seconds but now it loses connection and stays lost until I hard reset the console. Anybody know what's up there?