• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You have three of those hori dpads? That's only for collecting purposes or do you have multiple switches or something?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the consensus on Mario Tennis Aces? I had a lot of fun with it playing the demo at Best Buy. But I hear there's not much to do with it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Today I realized I own, or have on order, 28 joycon:
21kyAHX.png

On order - Gray set (hate these but good price on Amazon yesterday), Let's Go set, Smash set, NES set, Famicom set, Pikachu Hori dpad.

Some would say I have a problem. They would be right... but also far less FABULOUS. I challenge you, PeerIGN!
Is there a decent link for the Smash and Let's Go versions?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
You're welcome! If you're outside of Japan use a proxy service otherwise I'm sure they'll pop up on eBay. Either way you're going to pay a bit more unless NOA announces them for the US outside of the system bundles!

Not that you'd be unaccustomed to that especially if you own these beauties... https://www.colorware.com/p-844-colorware-joy-cons-8-bit.aspx
Yep, those are the ones. <3 Except mine were the first design. So, SELECT and START in red are on the top front facing portion of the joycons. The bottom part is grey.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, freakin' gorgeous. So you've had them for a while? Are they holding up all right?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Today I realized I own, or have on order, 28 joycon:
21kyAHX.png

On order - Gray set (hate these but good price on Amazon yesterday), Let's Go set, Smash set, NES set, Famicom set, Pikachu Hori dpad.

Some would say I have a problem. They would be right... but also far less FABULOUS. I challenge you, PeerIGN!

Were the Pink/Green controllers ever released as a full set, or only in a combination spread throughout the world? I can get a bundle with one of either, but not the other half in the other colours.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not as individual colored sets. In the US it was green-left / pink-right, while Japan also had a swapped (pink-left, green-right) bundle... if memory serves.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with experience preloading from Japan eShop able to help me out with information?

I live in Japan, have my Switch's region set to Japan, and preloaded from the Japanese eShop. Will I be able to play Smash Ultimate at midnight Japan time? When do Japanese eShop games typically unlock?

GlakeGG

Sep 1, 2018
Minnesota
So what's the consensus on Mario Tennis Aces? I had a lot of fun with it playing the demo at Best Buy. But I hear there's not much to do with it.

In my opinion Aces is one of the best Mario Tennis games we've gotten in awhile. Most MT fans will probably tell you it's nothing compared to the RPG focused GBC and GBA games, but I definitely think it's one of the more competitive iterations of the game out there.

Not only that, but despite the game being out for well over 6 months now, Nintendo basically releases a new free DLC character every month. A big patch for the game is coming at the end of this week I think. Balance changes, ranked online, and some other additions to the online play. On top of that they've revealed the DLC characters coming during early 2019. I definitely recommend picking up the game. I see it having a sort of resurgence for sure, especially following the update this week.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
In my opinion Aces is one of the best Mario Tennis games we've gotten in awhile. Most MT fans will probably tell you it's nothing compared to the RPG focused GBC and GBA games, but I definitely think it's one of the more competitive iterations of the game out there.

Not only that, but despite the game being out for well over 6 months now, Nintendo basically releases a new free DLC character every month. A big patch for the game is coming at the end of this week I think. Balance changes, ranked online, and some other additions to the online play. On top of that they've revealed the DLC characters coming during early 2019. I definitely recommend picking up the game. I see it having a sort of resurgence for sure, especially following the update this week.

Interesting. Maybe one I'd pick up physical so I can sell if I don't dig it. This one has intrigued me. Looks fun.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I can't believe no one online has anything to say about Moto Racer 4 on Switch. I only know the home version got mixed reviews, but I'd like to know if this version is worth playing or not, given its discount price. I used to love Moto Racer on PC!

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How are the batteries in your Switches holding up people? Some of them will be starting their second winter, I'm interested to know how they're dealing with the cold after a heavy comute in places like New York.

I remember an iPhone of mine just switching off when it got particularly cold .

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Foreword: posted this on the Diablo 3 OT but nobody answered so I'm trying my luck here.

So I just bought a second Switch as a Christmas gift for my gf as she's been playing Diablo 2 for like forever and I wanted us to play D3 together without being hindered by each other's inventory management in coop mode.

I have a couple of questions:

I made her an account on my Switch at D3's release so that she would be able to have her own save and play on her own without sharing my stash/paragons etc. Will she be able to transfer that account and save file to her system when she gets it?

More importantly, will cloud saving allow us to move saves back and forth from one system to another if we want to play a coop session on the big screen. Inventory management is a pain this way but it's nice to just sit on the sofa and manage the mess that Diablo can become when you're limited to the same screen space as your partner. Instructions on how to achieve that would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Foreword: posted this on the Diablo 3 OT but nobody answered so I'm trying my luck here.

So I just bought a second Switch as a Christmas gift for my gf as she's been playing Diablo 2 for like forever and I wanted us to play D3 together without being hindered by each other's inventory management in coop mode.

I made her an account on my Switch at D3's release so that she would be able to have her own save and play on her own without sharing my stash/paragons etc. Will she be able to transfer that account and save file to her system when she gets it?

More importantly, will cloud saving allow us to move saves back and forth from one system to another if we want to play a coop session on the big screen. Inventory management is a pain this way but it's nice to just sit on the sofa and manage the mess that Diablo can become when you're limited to the same screen space as your partner. Instructions on how to achieve that would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Hmm, that's interesting for sure. I'm almost wanting to try that out to see if it would transfer properly.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks guys!
Ok tested this out. I added my daughters account, linked nintendo acct, etc. to my main switch. I played D3 on it till lvl5. Checked cloud data, and it was backed up already. Loaded diablo 3 for the first time on her switch, downloaded save data, and play continued. Worked really well actually.

edit:
Both accounts are on my family nintendo online sub.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Ok tested this out. I added my daughters account, linked nintendo acct, etc. to my main switch. I played D3 on it till lvl5. Checked cloud data, and it was backed up already. Loaded diablo 3 for the first time on her switch, downloaded save data, and play continued. Worked really well actually.

That is if they have an online sub.

I believe you can transfer switch to switch physically.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, about the online sub. I edited my post to include that. Without the online sub you can transfer the saved data, but the source switch won't be able access that data any more. Has that changed?

I bought her a one year subscription code with the system and D3 so we're covered. It seems simple enough to manage. Thanks a lot for testing it out.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yes - any microSD card will work just as well as any other.

Game saves are saved to the console system storage, not to a microSD card.
thanks for the quick response.

Ok i feel like an idiot, i thought the console came with a removable 32gb sd card or something, but it's inbuilt into the system yeah?
I checked the sd slot and its empty lol.

So I own a physical copy of mario odyssey, so the save file for that game is saved onto the internal system storage and not the cartridge itself?

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my Switch is dead or something. I had it next to my bed away from the dock so I could play Civ at night and I'd just plug the charger into it. Last night I noticed the battery icon would be red with the charging icon next to it but nothing would happen on the screen, like I was unable to start it or anything. Similar I guess to how an iPhone won't start until it is charged to a certain level.

So I figured I'd leave it on the charger all night. This morning though the same situation was happening, pressing anything on the Switch to "wake it up" to a black screen showing the red battery icon and the charge icon, as if it were charging.

I searched for solutions and found one about holding the sleep button for 10-12 seconds then powering it on 20 minutes or so later. But returning to the Switch a couple hours later, it's now completely dead. It doesn't even show the black screen or battery icon anymore.

I plugged the charger back into the dock and tried docking it... the red light on the dock flashes once and goes off when it's docked. Idk if this is related or normal.

Should I try another charger before sending it to Nintendo? Though, the dock does light up, so it must be getting power.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I think my Switch is dead or something. I had it next to my bed away from the dock so I could play Civ at night and I'd just plug the charger into it. Last night I noticed the battery icon would be red with the charging icon next to it but nothing would happen on the screen, like I was unable to start it or anything. Similar I guess to how an iPhone won't start until it is charged to a certain level.

So I figured I'd leave it on the charger all night. This morning though the same situation was happening, pressing anything on the Switch to "wake it up" to a black screen showing the red battery icon and the charge icon, as if it were charging.

I searched for solutions and found one about holding the sleep button for 10-12 seconds then powering it on 20 minutes or so later. But returning to the Switch a couple hours later, it's now completely dead. It doesn't even show the black screen or battery icon anymore.

I plugged the charger back into the dock and tried docking it... the red light on the dock flashes once and goes off when it's docked. Idk if this is related or normal.

Should I try another charger before sending it to Nintendo? Though, the dock does light up, so it must be getting power.

Hopefully yea not using some random USB-C cable that doesn't have the 56 ohm resistor on it....

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
anyone here that uses a wireless headset with the Switch? Been looking for one that supports both the Switch and the PS4 but there's so many options. Currently considering the HyperX Cloud Flight as that one apparently received an update not to long ago that allows the USB dongle to work properly with the Switch.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is the resolution of the home screen meant to be really low res when docked, or do I need to flip a setting somewhere?

Games look fine, but the home screen text and icons barely look 720p.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp a new charger did not work. Set it to charge last night, checked it this morning, it woke up to a black screen with a low battery icon and the charging bolt then shut off.

I've read people saying once the battery is completely drained the Switch can take over a day to charge. I'll leave it charged for another day before I call Nintendo.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Has Nintendo said anything about the heating issue withn LAN Adapter? Just got one and my Switch is a bit warm when it's in the dock. If I unplug the ethernet cable it cools down though so guess I can do that until it's fixed.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I have a quick question and sorry if it sounds dumb, I'm from the UK and have a Switch, next week I am going to America for 4 weeks to spend the holidays with my girlfriend and her family and I am taking my switch with me. Normally I just play it in portable mode while I'm there but this time we want to play some party games I have on my switch, so we want to play it on the TV. I have a UK to USA plug adapter to plug my switch power plug into but I was wondering if it is safe to plug a UK power plug adapter into a USA extension cord? Where their TV is they don't have plug sockets near by and always use an extension cord to plug things in for it.

Random question I know I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause any weird damage to my switch with it docked in that way.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo is going to repair my Switch, for free, even though it's three days out of the one year warranty. They and MS really have great customer service.

But the support agent said if it can't be fixed it will be replaced and that got me thinking, what happens to my game data and saves? On Xbone it would just download to the new console off of the Internets but how would that work with Switch? Damn I'm glad I didn't get far in Zelda or have any great Civ games so far in turn 300+ or anything.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo is going to repair my Switch, for free, even though it's three days out of the one year warranty. They and MS really have great customer service.

But the support agent said if it can't be fixed it will be replaced and that got me thinking, what happens to my game data and saves? On Xbone it would just download to the new console off of the Internets but how would that work with Switch? Damn I'm glad I didn't get far in Zelda or have any great Civ games so far in turn 300+ or anything.

You can store your save data on the cloud with a Nintendo Online subscription.

They'll do their best to repair your console without a full replacement, and if they have to replace, they'll try to transfer the save data first, if hardware problems permit it. It's not 100%, but your save data will probably be okay.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a couple of questions about the Switch. If I went mostly physical for games how large of an SD card would I realistically need? Do the carts fully install to the card or do the games run from the carts?

Also which glass screen protector is considered the best? The amFilm from Amazon?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a couple of questions about the Switch. If I went mostly physical for games how large of an SD card would I realistically need? Do the carts fully install to the card or do the games run from the carts?

Also which glass screen protector is considered the best? The amFilm from Amazon?

Yes, get the glass amFilm screen protector.

As for mSD cards, you can get 100-200GB ones for quite cheap now, so there's no reason to go for one much smaller. If you're going physical, the amount of space you'll need will depend on what games you get, how large their updates are, if they're fully contained on the cart or require additional download, etc.

Save data is always on the Switch's internal storage itself, for what it's worth, so mixing it up between physical and digital or upgrading mSD cards is quite easy.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I have a quick question and sorry if it sounds dumb, I'm from the UK and have a Switch, next week I am going to America for 4 weeks to spend the holidays with my girlfriend and her family and I am taking my switch with me. Normally I just play it in portable mode while I'm there but this time we want to play some party games I have on my switch, so we want to play it on the TV. I have a UK to USA plug adapter to plug my switch power plug into but I was wondering if it is safe to plug a UK power plug adapter into a USA extension cord? Where their TV is they don't have plug sockets near by and always use an extension cord to plug things in for it.

Random question I know I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause any weird damage to my switch with it docked in that way.
Usually it's fine for us (going from 230 to 110V) while they need a power converter. Don't know how it goes for the Switch though. I would probably dare to myself, but maybe wait for actual experiences.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed Car Quest. I like what it's trying even if basic. One of the more thoughtfully made $0.99 sale games

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's a good cartridge holder for Switch? I need a good one that can hold a few dozen games, if possible. More compact, the better.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A friend of mine just got a Switch for Smash, and had a question about save transfers. A while ago he made a secondary account on my system that he used for his own saves and whatnot - is he able to transfer those saves in any way to his own Switch? I know Nintendo Online has save backups, but am I wrong in thinking it's based on the console itself? Or would he just need to pay for the online via his account on my system, and then just download them onto the new Switch?

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I now have a switch thanks to that facebook deal but now I have a problem, I can really only afford one new game right now so I'm torn between getting zelda or smash bros.....

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Welp I now have a switch thanks to that facebook deal but now I have a problem, I can really only afford one new game right now so I'm torn between getting zelda or smash bros.....

If you have friends to play with immediately, Smash. If you want to go solo, Zelda.