• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moderator Edit: With sincere apologies to Rösti! I messed up the thread merge. Make sure to thank Rösti for the awesome OT.

switch_main5uuug.png

Note: White Joy-Cons only for artistic purposes, not available for purchase (yet).

sectionsbanner_introd3ixql.png

switch-home-mobirkj2.png

Press release: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170303005199/en/Nintendo-Switch-Ushers-Era-Console-Gaming

Nintendo Switch, codename NX, is Nintendo's next generation system combining the mobility of a handheld with the power of a home gaming system. With the two new Joy-Con controllers, a 6.2-inch screen and a modern architecture featuring NVIDIA technology, Nintendo Switch is bound to bring new play styles to life.

This thread's purpose is to provide an overview of Nintendo Switch. Feel free to share details on your experiences with aquiring the system and games for it, your first time starting it up etc. In-depth discussion on games is of course destined for game specific threads.

sectionsbanner_genera3nz06.png

Manufacturer: Nintendo
Features: The Nintendo Switch can function both as a portable and stationary device, and with the the two new Joy-Con controllers many new play styles are brought to life. For in depth details check the Features section.
Release: March 3, 2017 in Japan, the U.S., Canada, major European countries, Australia, Hong Kong and other regions
Price*:
29,980円
US$299.99
CAD$399.99
£279.99
AU$469.95
HK$2,340
22 499 руб
*Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, actual price may vary. See retailer for details.

What's in the box:
  • Nintendo Switch Console
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Joy‑Con (L)
  • Joy‑Con (R)
  • Joy‑Con Wrist Straps
  • Joy‑Con Grip
  • High Speed HDMI Cable
Nintendo Switch AC Adapter
Bundles: At launch two SKUs will be available - Nintendo Switch with Gray Joy‑Con and Nintendo Switch with Neon Blue and Neon Red Joy‑Con. Bundles that include specific games may become available at any time.

switch_hardwareskusr1ks7.png

switch_gray_sku67kf0.png
switch_neon_skuvgjj2.png

switch_accessories7qab3.png

Joy-Cons can be bought in both singular and plural. Joy‑Con Wheel comes in a set of two.

sectionsbanner_featurupakz.png

PLAY ANYWHERE

Home Gaming System
  • At home the main unit rests in the Nintendo Switch dock, which
    connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends
    in the comfort of your living room.

On-the-Go

• Lift Nintendo Switch from the dock and instantly transition to handheld mode for on-the-go gaming. By sharing Joy-Con, players can go head-to-head while away from home.
    You can also enjoy the same great games in tabletop mode by using the included stand to prop the system up.

New Play Styles

• Remove the detachable Joy-Con from either side of Nintendo Switch for more play styles:
    • One player can use a Joy-Con in each hand
    • Two players can each take one
    • Multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options (additional Joy-Con sold separately)
    • Slip a set of Joy-Con into a Joy-Con grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.
  • Bring together up to 8 Nintendo Switch systems for local face-to-face multiplayer.

Joy-Con

• Includes traditional inputs of previous platforms, such as two analog sticks, A/B/X/Y buttons (or directional buttons), and two shoulder buttons.
  • Each Joy-Con can be used as a single controller. When playing this way, Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R) have the same button layout. When a Joy-Con is held horizontally, the buttons on top can be used as L and R Buttons (they are called the SL and SR Buttons).
  • Capture Button: The Capture Button is located on Joy-Con (L) and is used to take gameplay screen shots.The player can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to popular social media networks
  • Motion Control: Each Joy-Con includes a gyroscope and accelerometer.
  • HD Rumble: Both Joy-Con include advanced HD Rumble, which can provide compatible games with subtle vibrations that are much more realistic than before. The effect is so detailed that a player could, for example, feel the sensation of individual ice cubes colliding inside a glass when shaking a Joy-Con. With HD Rumble you can experience a level of realism not possible through sights and sounds alone.
  • IR Motion Camera: Joy-Con (R) includes an IR Motion Camera that can detect the distance, shape and motion of nearby objects in specially designed games. For example, it can tell how far away a player's hand is, and even if the hand is forming a rock, paper or scissors shape.
  • amiibo: There is an NFC reader/writer located on Joy-Con (R). (This is also included in the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.) Nintendo Switch is compatible with existing amiibo; usage is game-dependent.
  • Rechargeable: Joy-Con charge while attached to a docked Nintendo Switch system. They can also be charged using a Nintendo Switch charging grip accessory (sold separately).
  • Colors: Joy-Con are available in multiple colors at launch: gray, neon red and neon blue.
  • Release Button: On the back of each Joy-Con is a small button that is pressed to detach the controller from the main unit.

Enhanced Parental Controls

• The system includes various on-device parental controls, but parents can also download a smart device application that can be used to easily and conveniently monitor and set parental controls for a Nintendo Switch system.
sectionsbanner_techsp57bdb.png

• Screen: Nintendo Switch has a 6.2-inch capacitive multi-touch screen that can display a resolution of 1280 x 720.
  • Dock: The Nintendo Switch dock holds, powers, and charges the system, and outputs video and audio from the system to a TV or external display.
  • Stand: A stand on the back of the main unit can be deployed to position the system upright in tabletop mode.
  • Media: Game cards
  • Video Output: HDMI; up to 1080p resolution when played in TV mode (up to 720p when played in handheld or tabletop mode)
  • Audio Output: TV Mode supports 5.1 channel surround sound. Using the system's built-in audio jack, stereo speakers or headphones can be used when played in handheld or tabletop modes.
  • Battery: Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage
    conditions. For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a single charge. While away from home, Nintendo Switch can be charged by plugging the AC adapter into the console's USB Type-C connector.
  • Storage: Nintendo Switch has 32GB of internal storage, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system, and has the option to expand its capacity using microSDXC or microSDHC memory cards.
  • SoC: Custom Tegra processor powered by NVIDIA
  • Other: USB ports on the Nintendo Switch dock can be used to charge accessories such as the Nintendo
    Switch Pro Controller and Joy-Con attached to a Joy-Con charging grip. The USB ports can also be used with a USB LAN adaptor to connect to the Internet.
  • Networking: Nintendo Switch can connect to the Internet via a wireless (IEEE 802.11ac) connection. In
    addition, up to 8 systems can connect over a local wireless connection in compatible multiplayer games.
    While docked, Nintendo Switch can also use a wired Internet connection by connecting a LAN Adapter.

sectionsbanner_softwa7zylg.png

Nintendo Switch at point of writing features a quite large library of games, with 200+ games now available.

Some of the more popular games include:

switch_gamesa8j5v.png

switch_games2jss55.png

For a full list of games available check here: https://www.nintendo.com/games/switch

Not all games may be available for all regions.

sectionsbanner_supporq9s21.png

Support site for Nintendo Switch in Japanese: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/switch/index.html
Support site for Nintendo Switch in English: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/landing/p/897

Edit:

Third Party Accessories:
HotHamBoy said:
I read that reddit thread and what I took from it was that the D-Pad is improved but it's still not great. It is much less likely to misread your inputs, though. Personally, $70 just seems so steep and the Xeno controller is hideous IMO. I've yet to find a reason to abandon the JoyCons outside of D-Pad needs, so with that said...

I can't comment on the wired pads having rumble but I'm pretty sure they don't.

If you need a great D-Pad for certain games then I strongly suggest 8bitdo's SNES30, which I own and can say is the most accurate recreation of the original SNES controller I've encountered.

I compared my original SNES pad with 8bitdo's side by side and there's only 3 noticeable differences in appearance and feel: it's wireless, it has a different logo and the shoulder buttons are just a tad firmer (which actually feels good in a soft-click kinda way as opposed to the mushy originals).

It's $35 and it's essential IMO for anyone who wants to play 2D fighting games and the upcoming Virtual Console service.
SNES30-04.jpg

Now, 8bitdo offers several other controllers, including the SNES30 Pro. It shoe-horns two analog sticks and ZL/ZR buttons. I cannot comment on the quality of that one but it's more expensive.

I do have a NES30 Pro and while I wouldn't recommend it as your main pad, even for retro stuff (i don't like the stiff d-pad and buttons) it's a pretty solid choice as a compact travel controller for multiplayer use, such as Mario Kart or Bomberman.

Crissaegrim-NES30-PRO-Controller-by-8Bitdo-03.jpg

The Switch/Wii U Pokken controller is extremely comfortable and features 3 advantages over the SNES30: It's got a dedicated Home button, it doesn't have to be configured to pair via Bluetooth and it's $25. The SNES30 accesses the Home menu through a button combo so it's not entirely absent. Both work with all games but, IMO, the SNES30 is the better buy as you can use it in tabletop mode - the USB port on the Switch is on the bottom (against the table) and you need an adapter for the cable if you aren't using the dock.

322610_440x350.jpg

pokken-tournament-controller-for-wii-u-pikachu-471079.1.png

Here's a thing you may not have known about the Hori pad (I sure didn't):

-523301.2.jpg

SURPRISE!!

hori-pad-for-nintendo-switch-523301.6.jpg

I honestly can't comment on this one. It looks pretty nice but Hori has a mixed record on their pads (as opposed to their excellent fight sticks). I can't say I really care for the D-Pad solution, never was a fan of the floating disc style.

Finally, you have Power A's wired pads. They look nice but I know nothing about it.

7459214_R_Z001A

910RYf2AaLL._AC_.jpg

I'd love to hear opinions on the Power A D-Pad vs Hori and Pokken.

Here are some more of the 8bitdo controllers, all of which can be played wirelessly or via USB cable:

SNES30 Pro
1907821.jpg

sfc30-pro-back.jpg

NES30/FC30
img_1907.jpg

2-Set-8Bitdo-FC30-Dual-Player-Wireless-font-b-Bluetooth-b-font-Gamepad-font-b-Game_20170605103324_20171107101659.jpg

Zero
20160601140034_40667.JPG

8Bitdo-Zero-keyring-1.jpg

NES30 Arcade Stick
01-l.jpg

8Bitdo-FC30-Arcade-Stick-3.jpg

The arcade stick will run you about $80. Most reviews are positive but are coming from a casual POV. Shoryuken trashed the stick in their review due to low quality buttons and stick. The good news is that the stick is apparently very easy to mod, allowing you to swap out the buttons and stick for the ones you want with no trouble. But that's going to add about $30-40 to the cost plus the effort.

Alternatively, there's the Hori RAPV. This is a $150, pro-level stick. It's also huge and wired so if the idea of using tabletop mode as a portable arcade is appealing you might still be better off going with 8bitdo's stick and opening it up.

One solution for using wired pads in tabletob mode is to pick up Hori's folding playstand:

61Ly9jIq-cL._AC_.jpg

For $13 ($10 on Amazon right now) you get 3 adjustable angles, an exposed USB port (you'll still need a USB C Adapter) and - bonus - the ability to support the Switch vertically for games that support tate mode (Strikers 1945, Pinball FX3, etc). Of course, this means having to carry around and set up another piece of plastic but it seems like a good solution for that flimsy kickstand.

8bitdo has also released several cool af limited edition versions of NES/FC30 Pro:

NES30-Pro-2-1024x683.jpg

8BITDO-FC30-PRO-Limited-Edition-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-snes-Gamepad-Dual-Classic-sega-for-iOS-Android.jpg

AP40_Closeup_1.0.0.jpg

2PCS-8Bitdo-FC30-Pro-Year-of-the-Monkey-Gamepad-Limited-Edition-Version-Pandora-s-box.jpg

Free-Shipping-8Bitdo-FC30-Pro-Year-of-the-Monkey-Gamepad-Limited-Edition-Version-2PCS.jpg

Free-Shipping-8Bitdo-FC30-Pro-Year-of-the-Monkey-Gamepad-Limited-Edition-Version-2PCS.jpg_640x640.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
out of those, digital loads faster but the difference is very small. only if you're a speedrunner you'd be able to notice it.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Hello this is my first Nintendo console since the Gamecube so any tips, optimizations, etc would be greatly appreciated. Any etiquette advice that would help prolong the system? Recommended accessories?

Also, is the digital version of SMO supposed to load faster?

Lastly is Nintendo working on cloud saves and virtual console for the switch?

Thank you kindly for your suggestions and please forgive me if this is redundant.
Get a glass screen protector.

Consider some grips for your joycons if you're going to use it in handheld mode a lot.

I haven't read anything on it but I'd imagine digital and physical versions should run pretty comparably, as one is the proprietary memory card and the other a microSD, so both are solid state flash media.

They just introduced a save transfer system but cloud saves have in no way been suggested/promised.

Virtual console has been mentioned, but that was before launch and not a peep since.

My game recommendations:
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Steamworld Dig 2
Mario Kart 8 DX
Stardew Valley if you don't want to play it on PC
Shovel Knight if you haven't played it elsewhere before (currently on sale)

If you want some of the digital + physical offerings like Cave Story, Binding of Isaac, etc. understand that Switch has it's own little tax bump in price, with lots of AA/indie games that have been on sale pretty cheap in the past having $40 releases on the system. I'd assume they'll go on sales, the Switch has already had more sales in year one than the Wii U did in most of it's life by my estimation. You can also look into used physical, which is how I got Cave Story+ for $16.

Oct 27, 2017
Be really careful sliding the Switch in and out of the dock, it's easy to get the screen scratched up if you're doing it too fast or fumbling around.

Battery life isn't great if you're playing more graphically intensive games like Zelda or Mario or especially Splatoon online, so don't really count on getting much more than a couple of hours out of it without needing to recharge if you're on the go. Tinkering with the brightness will help but only slightly.

They've started coming out with Wired Pro Controllers for 30 dollars, which is by and far the cheapest controller option, especially when the wireless Pro Controller is 70 and a pair of joycons go for 80 (don't even bother picking up individual joycons, they're not worth it for the price). The wired controller obviously won't work in handheld mode, but if you're trying to build up enough controllers for local multiplayer sessions then they're your best option. Don't know exactly how long the cord is tho.

We know virtual console is coming at some point, but not much else. I've seen nothing for cloud saves or even an Internet browser. On that note, whether you'll get a prompt to log in to public wifi networks is very hit or miss; for instance, I'll get a prompt at a Starbucks or Tim Hortons, but not my university. It's easily the most obnoxious part of the Switch as a system.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I wish someone would create one general Switch |OT|
It has the best rated game of all time for starters, also we could do a lot of general chat about the Switch in one area, instead of tons of mini threads asking for help on accessories, eshop games, hints n tips, what games to buy etc, as we are seeing new Switch owners regularly and I feel we deserve a OT

I have no thread creating privileges as a junior, plus I'm crap at making OT's

Oct 27, 2017
not to say all the cautious people are wrong, but I've taken mine in and out of the dock since launch and even dropped my switch on the floor once, with no protection, and there's been no visible damage at all. Nintendium at work.

Enjoy the system and enjoy HD rumble, especially with the separated joy cons. Dark mode is fun, the pro controller is worth it, you've made the right choice.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Buy Tempered glass screen protector
A gamecube controller works with the adapter that was released for the WiiU
You can buy replacement shells to change the colour of your Switch from third parties and have like translucent purple or many other colours that aren't released yet.
You can buy cheaper 3rd party controllers instead of a pro controller but most don't have motion controls and most are wired, with an adpater these will work in handheld mode too
The Switch is region free
Buy a memory card if you feel you need one, some more games will need them eventually like NBA and WWE already do
Download and play some of the demos even for a game you think you may not like, I did and had fun with Arms and Pokken which I otherwise would have ignored

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
A tempered glass protector is an absolute must.

The best non-Nintendo game on the system is Steamworld Dig 2.

Make an EU and JP account so you can get access to those region's eShops

OP
OP
Anubis

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has the best rated game of all time for starters, also we could do a lot of general chat about the Switch in one area, instead of tons of mini threads asking for help on accessories, eshop games, hints n tips, what games to buy etc, as we are seeing new Switch owners regularly and I feel we deserve a OT

I have no thread creating privileges as a junior, plus I'm crap at making OT's

Yeah I was searching for an official Switch OT.

I'm a Sony and pc guy but I'd like to help and collaborate on one.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Put a screen protector on it before you put it anywhere near the dock. Some people have had theirs scratched just by taking it in and out of the dock.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same boat as OP.

I just got my switch yesterday and love it. But it feels kinda fragile in handheld mode, and I don't exactly trust my siblings with it.

I already ordered a glass screen protector, now I'm just wondering if there is anything I could get that'll keep my fancy red joycons safe.

Last edited:

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Stick with the Pro controller. The dual Joy-con scheme gives you more options, but it's more difficult and more uncomfortable overall. There's at least a bigger learning curve.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Hey guys, ARE they working on cloud saves? Are they ever going to confirm that?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, although I'm not sure if those types of OTs are allowed on this forum.

OP, I would definitely recommend the pro controller if you're going to be playing on a TV. There's nothing wrong with the split joy cons, but the pro controller is the best controller out there IMO. It's very comfortable, has a good weight, and the sticks have great tension.

I would look into the amFilm screen protector and a nice case. I went all out and got the Waterfield leather case, but cheaper ones will work just as well.

For games, the most own full price games in my opinion are Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2. I wouldn't recommend Fire Emblem Warriors if you aren't a fan of Musou games or the FE series, but grab it if you are. I'm really enjoying it. For cheaper eShop games I would highly recommend Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac, Stardew Valley, and Puyo Puyo Tetris if you haven't played any of those on PC or PS4.

Enjoy your new system.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a joycon grip they recommend? I'd like to get the hori ones, but it seems rather pricey for a grip.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello this is my first Nintendo console since the Gamecube so any tips, optimizations, etc would be greatly appreciated. Any etiquette advice that would help prolong the system? Recommended accessories?

Thank you kindly for your suggestions and please forgive me if this is redundant.
  1. Get a Pro Controller and a microSD (I'd recommend 64GB)
  2. Marginally
  3. Allegedly, but we have no official confirmation
Enjoy!

Icespark

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Switch at launch but only played with the Pro Controller or in handheld mode. Mario Odyssey is forcing me to use split Joy Cons and my left Joy Con keeps disconnecting if I am more than a few feet from the TV. How can I fix this? I read there were some issues with early Joy Cons? It's the blue Joy Con from the Neon launch bundle.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I echo any sentiments for Golf Story and grabbing a pro controller. The battery life on that thing is obscenely good.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Add another one to the "don't even use the dock before putting a screen protector". My dock is completely borked (original design for this is utter garbage), so if I hadn't bothered with a protector my screen would have scratches right now.

So I need a Usb-c to usb cable to charge without the dock? Im still waiting Amazon for my screen protector.

Edit: The demos dont have 30 uses like 3ds and WiiU. Play them all you want.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Switch at launch but only played with the Pro Controller or in handheld mode. Mario Odyssey is forcing me to use split Joy Cons and my left Joy Con keeps disconnecting if I am more than a few feet from the TV. How can I fix this? I read there were some issues with early Joy Cons? It's the blue Joy Con from the Neon launch bundle.

Unfortunately Nintendo would be the only ones who could help with that issue.

Speculawyer

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley, Califnornia
I also just picked up a Switch Mario Odyssey pack.

I already have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U and I'm not interested in a long Zelda adventure....what other games should I get?

And do I really need a screen protector? Any other accessories I must get?

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread. But team today is the day, I will get my first nintendo console. Going to get switch + mario odyssey + zelda.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

For accessories, a good tempered glass screen protector is a must for portable, and a PRO controller is great for docked play. As far load times for Mario are concerned, I have no idea, although I'd imagine the differences are minor, if they exist at all. As far as VC is concerned... Well, it was never confirmed as coming to Switch at all.

There will be some NES games offered for free with Nintendo's online subscription next year, but I think that's it, most likely. Nintendo has clearly found a new market with it's Classic Consoles, and appears to be going all in on them instead of VC. That's sad, especially considering Switch would've been a great platform for VC, but it is what it is, I suppose.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First of all, congratulations on owning a Switch.

Buy a high capacity, good quality micro SD card so you're set for the life of the console.

Download all your games. If the bundle you got has a "Mario cart", make it the only one you have so you never have to take it out.