• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really jealous of people who are playing Skyrim for the first time on Switch. What a game.

I've only put about 30 hours into the Switch version, but then I've poured in hundreds across 360 and PS4.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just beat Celeste. Fantastic game, but it made me realize how uncomfortable the d-pad is; my fingers were cramping after that last level.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Alternatively , for the same cost, you can get an 8bitdo wireless adaptor that will let you use any Bluetooth controller
Can't reccommend this strongly enough. Picked mine up for £10 a month back and it's great. I can use my Wii U Pro again and not shell out £70 for a Switch one.

You lose vibration/gyro, but more than worth it in my eyes.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the warranty service in the UK for the Switch is just dreadful thanks to the fact they're using some poor third party. You can't even speak to the company directly, the Nintendo support liaison for you.

I had to go through it last year because my power cable failed while it was still under warranty. They tried to insinuate I was out of warranty and wanted me to pay £32 for it(cheaper to buy one from a retailer...). I contested the charges by contacting the nintendo support saying it was still under warranty and the proof was included in the box(which it was...). They must have pressured the company into fixing it(or they finally looked at the proof of purchase I included...) as the day after I received an email saying it was fixed and was being shipped out.

Now they're at it again. I sent my Switch screen and a right joy con off to be repaired, the former due to the fan and the latter because the joycon comes out of its slot without much force. In terms of the fan it sounded like the bearing in it is going if I had to guess, makes rattling/grinding noises etc. It's not unusual for that to happen to fans, I just replaced one on my PC case for the same issue, though I will admit I think the one on the Switch should have lasted longer. Either way it's still under warranty because every time you go through warranty support they add an extra year on(one of the few good things I guess!). Unfortunately, they're blaming the fan issue on a "operating system failure" and are trying to suggest that a "operating system failure" isn't covered by the warranty so I need to pay £53 to fix it, lol. Laughably if you go onto the UK warranty pdf it even says it's covered through the following lines "This warranty covers Nintendo consoles, including the original built-in software included with the respective Nintendo consoles at the time of purchase (the "Nintendo Operating Software") " and "This warranty does not cover: software (other than the Nintendo Operating Software) or games (whether included with the Product at the time of purchase or not); " so the repair company is talking out of their arse...

I've spoken to the nintendo support again to contest the charges so hopefully they'll step in again, but man I really should not have to do this every time. Reflects really poorly on Nintendo themselves if you ask me.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. An update to this situation. They got back to me saying that the repair company is trying to argue that the warranty is finished now. Even though it's clearly not as they've repaired the joycon that was sent with it under warranty.

Seems like they'll come up with any excuse not to fix it even though I've got warranty until mid-late summer(forget the exact date now).

Contacted Nintendo support again to complain, they're going to put in another incident at the repair company to get them to validate the warranty since they agree I should be covered. We'll see if they try and lie again I guess.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, I just tried the demo for Forgotton Anne on Switch. Is this how RDR2 feels to play? It takes like half a second to turn around.

edit: whoops thought I was in the eshop thread!

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a gameplay-focused game, to be fair. The weighty animations make controls feel slightly clunky, but the visuals are very smooth.

Yeah, I read as much in reviews, but it's still a bit baffling considering there's plenty of walking and jumping (in the beginning at least). Definitely has a nice look to it though.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else noticed the back plastic on their Nintendo Switch is starting to make creaky noises? I imagine this is just something that will happen overtime with any product, I've had my Switch since launch so I figure that's why.

It's not really a huge cause of concern though.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, sorry to hear. Nintendo's support in the U.S. is thankfully great, in my experience.
Yeah I've heard good things about the US repair service. Unfortunately with the UK it just seems like pot luck after a cursory glance at the Nintendo Switch reddit topics regarding the UK one.

The first time I went through warranty support for the power button crack issue I think I got lucky as they fixed it no questions asked, came back with the screen a bit raised but at the time there was no save backups so didn't want to risk sending it off again. Others weren't so lucky being charged a whopping £180 to replace the case of the console.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
They're sticking by the out of warranty crap because the letter apparently only extends the warranty of the thing you send off. Maybe that'd make sense if the letter didn't say "As a result of the works carried out to your console and to provide you with the best possible service, your Nintendo Consumer Warranty has now been renewed for an additional 12 months from the date of this letter to protect you from any further defects."... Also why did they repair my controller then, lmao.

Contested again since the letter is misleading and they repaired the controller so someone agreed it covered everything, dunno how hopeful I am though. It's just difficult when you can't speak to the repair people directly.

Really frustrating since my actual warranty only expired last month. -.- I've had so many issues with my launch Switch console that it's just tainted my experience with the console really. Love the device but I've had way more faults develop with it than I've had for any console ever, and the experience of sending it back to be repaired has been arduous to say the least.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Guys, question. If I buy a digital game and DLC for it, can I access the DLC with a physical copy if I eventually buy one?

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any early impressions of Dragons Dogma for Switch? I want it but I just want to know if it's a good port....

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, question. If I buy a digital game and DLC for it, can I access the DLC with a physical copy if I eventually buy one?
Yeah shouldn't be a problem if the region is the same.
Have done this with StarLink personally, had to manually archive and re-download game updates to recoup used SD card space from the digital game but DLC sticks. For StarLink, bought DLC downloaded alongside the game updates, I assume other games work in similar fashion. Mind, there's no separate "re-download DLC" options in the eShop as Nintendo doesn't offer that granular function and treat any DLC as part of the digital base game (a hurdle if you say redeem free DLC that takes up space that you don't necessarily want, no option to not download that).

javac

Oct 28, 2017
So I have a UK Switch and I had brand new physical US copies of Sushi Striker and Valkyria Chronicles 4 and they both allowed me to redeem the gold points to my UK account, is that normal?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So I have a UK Switch and I had brand new physical US copies of Sushi Striker and Valkyria Chronicles 4 and they both allowed me to redeem the gold points to my UK account, is that normal?
Could be that the cards have the same ID or whatever it is called. Meaning the US card is the exact same as the EU card (maybe even the japanese card) except for maybe the art on the card. Many Switch games only have one "international" version of a game.

That's why the japanese Version of Breath of the Wild features all languages (and your EU/US copy features japanese). As far as I know at least.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I just found out you can use coins to purchase stuff from the eShop. I thought that stuff was only for garbo like WiiU/3DS game discounts.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Is the dock scratching the screen an actual concern? I've had a screen protector on since day one and now that I've got the VR set put together I'm considering taking it off. Tiny imperfections in how I installed it or driving me crazy in VR mode even though it's barely noticeable normally.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Is the dock scratching the screen an actual concern? I've had a screen protector on since day one and now that I've got the VR set put together I'm considering taking it off. Tiny imperfections in how I installed it or driving me crazy in VR mode even though it's barely noticeable normally.
Apparently it was a legitimate thing back around launch. I've had a screen protector on mine since day 1 though, so mine's still pristine.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
My brother got me an Anker Powercore 20100 as a gift. I've been trying to find out if it's safe to use with Nintendo Switch, but apparently there's a Switch branded Powercore 20100 so I'm having trouble confirming. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks.

Edit: a Powercore 20100 is a portable charger.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
My brother got me an Anker Powercore 20100 as a gift. I've been trying to find out if it's safe to use with Nintendo Switch, but apparently there's a Switch branded Powercore 20100 so I'm having trouble confirming. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks.

Edit: a Powercore 20100 is a portable charger.

I think I have the same Anker and I never had problems when charging my Switch, though I do not use it often for that. It is the model with two USB-A outputs, right? Using a good USB cable that is USB-IF certified or has the 56k Ohm resistor is also important.

If it the same as mine: As it uses USB-A output at 2.4A (times 2 ports) it should be safe. Using a USB-A power bank with the cable included with the Pro Controller or the Charging Grip should be safe in general.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Switch thread I have a question. Are there decent shooters on the Switch? With Doom Eternal and Wolf Youngblood so close I'm not really looking into buying Doom and Wolf 2...but is there something else worth my time? Modern Combat maybe?

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i want to asks something
about the official charging stand

61oDXxMwLiL._AC_UL654_QL65_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Adjustable-Charging-Stand/dp/B07D12JGBB

does this allow to run the switch full power same as it was on the dock?

because i want something like that when i am not at home.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I wonder whether the next model will dispense with the kickstand and just suggest people get this charging stand instead.

I understand where you're coming from, but I hope not. It may be a little small and not as stable as one sometimes with, but it still works.

Make it larger (would need smaller vents) or add another one on the other side. While they are at it: make that latch the reader for a SIM card or a second SD card.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I had a horrific incident with my pro controller yesterday, my niece spilled an entire glass of orange juice on it. I tried cleaning it up but he dpad and buttons are all sticking plus it just is kinda gross and not working right. I have been playing XC2 today with the joy-con grip and it is just not an ideal experience. Does anyone have any experience with the PowerA Enhanced Wireless Switch Controller? I was thinking of picking one up on the cheap as the reviews seem pretty good and I could care less about HD rumble.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I had a horrific incident with my pro controller yesterday, my niece spilled an entire glass of orange juice on it. I tried cleaning it up but he dpad and buttons are all sticking plus it just is kinda gross and not working right. I have been playing XC2 today with the joy-con grip and it is just not an ideal experience. Does anyone have any experience with the PowerA Enhanced Wireless Switch Controller? I was thinking of picking one up on the cheap as the reviews seem pretty good and I could care less about HD rumble.
I do not have any experience with that controller. But I have a witee Hori Switch controller that was cheap, without hd rumble and with a great d pad. It also have a turbo button function thatI found useful for xc2.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Did you try opening it up and cleaning it? I would at least try before I buy new stuff.