• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Nintendo Switch passes the sales of PS4 in Japan

Oct 27, 2017
it may have happened last week but we didn't get hardware numbers because of the holidays.

numbers according to famitsu:

PS4: 8,077,756 (272 weeks)
Switch: 8,125,637 (114 weeks)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
wow thats incredible! that portability really is a big thing over there! Glad most of the world has caught on :)

Nov 30, 2018
Sony will overcome this great pain in about two or three months when they put out their press release celebrating 100 million PS4s sold.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo bringing that hybrid innovation. Congrats on the success Ninty.

Is this why Sony has moved to an American company now? They got beaten that badly in their own country?
/s

OP
OP
mazi
Oct 27, 2017
it both shows what a great comeback nintendo had after the wii u, and also how lukewarm the japanese market is toward a home console that's doing fantastically and about to pass 100M worldwide.

Oct 8, 2018
thats great! portability is doing really well in japan.
soon the PS4 100M announcement as well, probably by the end of this quarter.
consoles are doing well now.

OP
OP
mazi
Oct 27, 2017
Sony will overcome this great pain in about two or three months when they put out their press release celebrating 100 million PS4s sold.
they don't care, japan isn't a very important market for them anymore and they're doing better than ever outside japan.

Dec 28, 2017
If only the third-party support was up to snuff, huh. Really want to see more VNs and sixth-gen ports on the platform...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Talent wins and loses regardless of what sells the most, as all gaming companies employ a variety of talented individuals.

Case closed.

Oct 25, 2017
Not selling as fast as...

*Check notes*

... The second best selling platform of all time in Japan.

How disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
You would think the switch would be getting more 3rd party Japanese support like from capcom, why are the Japanese ignoring the most successful Japanese console of this gen

Oct 25, 2017
You would think the switch would be getting more 3rd party Japanese support like from capcom, why are the Japanese ignoring the most successful Japanese console of this gen
Because Capcom in focusing in the whole world instead of a single market and is also using an engine that is probably not combatible with the Switch.

Oct 28, 2017
All respect to Nintendo for a great console, even if I personally never use it undocked.

But it says a lot regarding Japan and consoles, when the region is only ~8% of Sony's market.

Dec 20, 2018
Congrats to the Switch. With 25% of its sales coming from Japan and 10% of PS4 sales coming from Japan it was only a matter of time before the Switch caught up. Nintendo definitely knows what Japanese gamers want.

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing numbers. Congratulations to Nintendo.

And some developers like Capcom still doing weird tests like DMC-1 vs DMC-HD. How much more do they need to sell in order to have some confidence with the system?

Oct 25, 2017
Ok? I don't really think Sony is in pain, but this is about sales in Japan, not whether Sony feels bad or not and how they plan to retaliate.
Even though I play docked all the time
You and me both, docked is the path to enlightenment.

Oct 27, 2017
Can’t everyone just get along, join hand in hand and celebrate the fact you both outsold the Xbox one

Edit: I just realised beating like 20 Xbox’s isn’t a cause for celebration, war away

Aug 20, 2018
All respect to Nintendo for a great console, even if I personally never use it undocked.

But it says a lot regarding Japan and consoles, when the region is only ~8% of Sony's market.
I mean...it says as much when Sony relocated SIE to the US...

Pending any miracles, high end home gaming will never be the mainstream again in Japan with prevalence of portables

Oct 25, 2017
Company decisions are based on more than just console A sold this much. Yeah, its a factor but audience for one, is also a big factor.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like it was kinda inevitable so it's not too much of a surprise

Just hope it means more companies develop Switch exclusives, rather than limit their vision with next-gen titles so they can be easily ported.

Oct 29, 2017
Priorities. When you can publish a game for PC/XBOX/PS4 in a userbase of 250+ million users, why limit yourself to one of 40 million? (numbers kind of out of my ass).