• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The impressive aspect is that switch is selling twice as fast as PS4 did.
This is also without a price drop, revision, or MSRP bundle which switch is slated to receive later this year

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
As dominant as PS4 has been globally it is a bit of a disappointment they haven't been able to move more hardware in Japan. Obviously they have done good in Japan, just not nearly as good as they have in international markets. Of course their focus has shifted more to a global focus which is a big reason why.

Oct 26, 2017
What? No one's comparing Vita sales to the PS4. The PSVita outsold the N64, the Mega Drive, the Game Cube, all three Xboxes, etc. in Japan.

Maybe check numbers before berating people. The PSVita is the 5th most successful Handheld worldwide.
None of those systems sold well in Japan and a couple of those didn't sell particularly well in general

Considering that no one outside of Nintendo, and the PSP, have been able to make successful handhelds, that's not saying much

Not the one from Capcom which is the topic of this conversation.
Only because they haven't bothered to bring it over, not because it can't run it

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
What? No one's comparing Vita sales to the PS4.

The PSVita outsold the N64, the Mega Drive, the Game Cube, all three Xboxes, etc. in Japan.

Maybe check numbers before berating people.

The PSVita is the 5th most successful Handheld worldwide.
Maybe check the numbers yourself. PSP had a huge install base in Japan, Vita didn't. Better than Xbox in Japan =/= huge, lol.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
What's this "Talent won" meme?

Congratulations to Nintendo! They've really made a strong comeback after the disastrous WiiU.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i doubt it, the japanese 3rd parties who aren't supporting switch by now aren't going to start, they're just gonna shift their focus to next gen.
Switch 2 won't be too far behind next gen, they should be able to continue to give similar support as the current switch

Should release in 2022 or 2023 going by past systems, possibly less than 2 years after ps5 releases

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Saying that the Vita outsold both Xbox consoles isn't really something to boast about...

How many portables has it outsold?

Several. It's the 5th most successful handheld. Nice of you to omit consoles like Gamecube and Mega Drive, though, I guess that was too inconvenient for your narrative.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
As dominant as PS4 has been globally it is a bit of a disappointment they haven't been able to move more hardware in Japan. Obviously they have done good in Japan, just not nearly as good as they have in international markets. Of course their focus has shifted more to a global focus which is a big reason why.

But it's not? Japan doesn't do consoles anymore. The heydays of the PS2 are but a distant memory. This is an inevitability.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wow, well done Nintendo.

Sadly, I have never owned a single Nintendo console or handheld but boy oh boy would I love me some of those 3D zelda games.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Surely this will mean that Japanese Devs will take the system more seriously and give us some great titles on the system right? Because I can only buy ports, remakes, and HD upgrades so many times in my life time and NO saying were porting X game to the Switch to make X game available to "Nintendo Gamers" for the first time and charging a premium price for it while almost implying that said "Nintendo Gamers" have ignored all other forms of gaming their whole life and we should be grateful we are allowed access to these game for the first time isn't my idea of system support Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami etc.

Because so far my Switch collection is 50% Nintendo games and 50% ports so I'm hoping that eventually we will get some AAA games over here but with the XB2 and PS5 on the horizon that's looking like a very unlikely scenario.

Oct 26, 2017
Switch 2 won't be too far behind next gen, they should be able to continue to give similar support as the current switch

Should release in 2022 or 2023 going by past systems
Nah, it should release by 2023 or 2024, going by their past successful systems and, by then, they'll have already settled with the PS5 and XB2. Not to mention, the Switch 2 will be just as behind them as the Switch is behind the PS4/XB1 and the Vita was behind the PS3/360. Things aren't gonna change

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the sad thing is this will just continue. by the time switch 2 is out, we're deep into next gen and most big devs have already established their engines and work in a way that'll require more power than switch 2 will have.
personally tho, i'm fine with nintendo first party games, indies, smaller scale japanese game and the occasional nintendo collab/exclusive from 3rd parties. i don't think losing big 3rd parties like the newest resident evil or final fantasy is that important for the future of nintendo's hybrid systems.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive when you consider that this happened before a revision, price drop or a new mainline Pokemon.

Kudos Nintendo - Switch is everything what i hoped for.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The impressive aspect is that switch is selling twice as fast as PS4 did.
This is also without a price drop, revision, or MSRP bundle which switch is slated to receive later this year
And that's also before gen 8.

Jesus, once that's out it's going to be a massacre.

giphy.gif

Edit: oh and let's not forget Animal Crossing

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the sad thing is this will just continue. by the time switch 2 is out, we're deep into next gen and most big devs have already established their engines and work in a way that'll require more power than switch 2 will have.
personally tho, i'm fine with nintendo first party games, indies, smaller scale japanese game and the occasional nintendo collab/exclusive from 3rd parties. i don't think losing big 3rd parties like the newest resident evil or final fantasy is that important for the future of nintendo's hybrid systems.
They could possibly plan more for the switch successor this time because of current switch success, making sure their engines are compatible etc for the future

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe check numbers before berating people.

The PSVita is the 5th most successful Handheld worldwide.
i know the numbers dude, but saying it's the 5th most successful handheld worldwide is completely meaningless when it's behind all the successful ones by sony and nintendo (GB, GBA, DS, 3DS, PSP). there's really no way to spin vita's performance into anything noteworthy. they only thing is it didn't bomb in japan as much as it did elsewhere. sony pulling support after a few years is you need to know.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't take very long. Congrats Ninty, the Switch is not only a system that has a huge appeal for Japanese people but it's easy to pick up elsewhere as well. Once 5G becomes a thing and they launch a version with SIM cards, I can see the Switch (or its "sequel") gain even more traction.

Oct 27, 2017
MHW has difficulties to run on PS4/Xbox, it would be horrible on Switch.
I get that, but the point is that it's not simply technical reasons and I don't even think that's the main issue. Capcom has always had tepid support and questionable faith in the Switch. Their only non-port is literally just Megaman 11, they've still yet to release a console RE on a Nintendo system past RE4 (despite RE5 and RE6 being able to run just fine on the system), and they didn't even have the confidence to release all the DMC games

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You're the one that came into the thread with an agenda...

No, I didn't. Unless you're absolutely unable to actually read my first comment.

The gist was "Handhelds are successful in Japan", and that is true, even the Vita was "successful" in Japan. Spare me your fanboy rage about the Vita being mentioned if you think you can claim I came here with an "agenda", the Vita derail is entirely on you.

Are you sure?

I thought it was eleventh behind the DS Lite, 3DS, GB, PSP, GBC, GBA SP, GBA, Switch, DS & DSi.
Even if you amalgamate families it's still behind the DS, 3DS, PSP, GB, GBA and Switch, so 7th as far as I can see.

Counting either of these singularly is disingenoious at best. All DS models are counted in the DS Sales Numbers, and so are all GBA models, and GB Models.

2 Nintendo DS (DS) 57.39 52.07 33.01 12.43 154.90
3 Game Boy (GB) 43.18 40.05 32.47 2.99 118.69
9 Game Boy Advance (GBA) 40.39 21.31 16.96 2.85 81.51
10 PlayStation Portable (PSP) 21.41 24.41 20.01 15.26 81.09
11 Nintendo 3DS (3DS) 24.94 20.84 24.49 4.35 74.62
21 PlayStation Vita (PSV) 2.56 5.24 5.92 2.41 16.13

I did skip the GBA on accident, that's correct, my bad for that. Didn't count the Switch, but if we do, it's still number 7, above quite a number of "big systems".

And again, that wasn't the point, the point, and that was very clear, is that Handhelds in Japan are generally very successful and preferred to regular consoles.

It would be nice if people could quit derailing now, because someone dared to say "Playstation Vita".

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Makes no sense limiting yourself to Switch when the PS4 has sold more world wide thus giving your game more potential for outreach.
So I guess when the PS5 is released nobody will make games for it. Makes no sense limiting yourself to PS5 when the Switch has sold more world wide thus giving your game more potential for outreach.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but the point is that it's not simply technical reasons and I don't even think that's the main issue. Capcom has always had tepid support and questionable faith in the Switch. Their only non-port is literally just Megaman 11, they've still yet to release a console RE on a Nintendo system past RE4 (despite RE5 and RE6 being able to run just fine on the system), and they didn't even have the confidence to release all the DMC games

I'm pretty sure they will release RE 5 and 6 on Switch. I really think technical reasons are the main issue to release modern games on Switch at the moment. They probably think it's not worth it to adapt the RE engine to the console if the sacrifices are big enough to greatly compromise the games's graphic fidelity.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which goes back to my original comment, they are ignoring the switch's success, I think they are even giving more support to Xbox where their games would sell less than they would on switch

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
KING
2JCrJiw.jpg

Numbers are gonna go up if Nintendo pulls off the Animal Crossing/Pokemon/Switch Mini wombo combo this year.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No, I didn't. Unless you're absolutely unable to actually read my first comment.

The gist was "Handhelds are successful in Japan", and that is true, even the Vita was successful in Japan. Spare me your fanboy rage about the Vita being mentioned if you think you can claim I came here with an "Agenda", the Vita derail is entirely on you.

Oh boy...

First off, well done for accusing me of being a fanboy. Great start. Second of all, yes you came into the thread with an agenda. Your first post included this:

They also had huge install bases on PSP and PSVita.

It was quite obvious what you wanted to achieve here. And then it's even more hilarious that you are accusing others of derailing...

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

The gist was "Handhelds are successful in Japan", and that is true, even the Vita was "successful" in Japan. Spare me your fanboy rage about the Vita being mentioned if you think you can claim I came here with an "agenda", the Vita derail is entirely on you.

Counting either of these singularly is disingenoious at best. All DS models are counted in the DS Sales Numbers, and so are all GBA models, and GB Models.

2 Nintendo DS (DS) 57.39 52.07 33.01 12.43 154.90
3 Game Boy (GB) 43.18 40.05 32.47 2.99 118.69
9 Game Boy Advance (GBA) 40.39 21.31 16.96 2.85 81.51
10 PlayStation Portable (PSP) 21.41 24.41 20.01 15.26 81.09
11 Nintendo 3DS (3DS) 24.94 20.84 24.49 4.35 74.62
21 PlayStation Vita (PSV) 2.56 5.24 5.92 2.41 16.13

I did skip the GBA on accident, that's correct, my bad for that. Didn't count the Switch, but if we do, it's still number 7, above quite a number of "big systems".

And again, that wasn't the point, the point, and that was very clear, is that Handhelds in Japan are generally very successful and preferred to regular consoles.

It would be nice if people could quit derailing now, because someone dared to say "Playstation Vita".
You're focusing a lot on the fact that it's number 7, but not on the fact that there's a massive gulf between 6 and 7. That's like saying WiiU did fine because third place is not too bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could possibly plan more for the switch successor this time because of current switch success, making sure their engines are compatible etc for the future
i'm sure UE5 will fully support switch 2 and be better optimized for it since it'll be made with nintendo's hardware in mind as well. i just don't expect the same level of foresight from most big japanese and western 3rd parties.

Oct 27, 2017
The old lazy dev argument, where have I seen this before.

In your imagination where you put words in people's mouths to make your argument? Who's claiming that porting decisions are based on whether a dev is lazy or not? They haven't ported RE5 or RE6 despite those clearly being able to run. They aren't porting the other DMC games despite them being able to run. These are largely issues with Capcom as a publisher. So miss me with your presumptive instigating bullshit