• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't even the point to begin with. It's quite obvious that I thook PSP and Vita as examples for "even the failures were popular there". Sheesh.

Are those numbers wrong? I simply googled worldwide sales numbers and took the ones that simply listed the regions on their own.
PSP wasnt a failure tho? it sold nearly 20 million in japan and like 75+million in total. Thats great for a Non-nintendo handheld
Japan may be Vita's best region but....6+ million is terrible in japan . Thats not popular at all. I think the posters are trying to say your examples are flawed. Not that they hated the Vita.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't think this matters for Sony. The sales gap isn't going get to anything significant where they lose their default 3rd party support.

Oct 26, 2017
No one is going to be surprised, it will more than likely be the only handheld console from here on out so of course it's going to continue to sell well.
Except plenty of folk here have said that its sales are going to fall hard as soon as they come out and that there's nothing Nintendo has left to increase sales. Also being essentially the only handheld out there didn't help the 3DS be a huge a success

Yeah it would probably need a nice price cut and bundle to even come close, but Sony has to be considering this.
The number of people holding out for FF7R to buy a PS4 after FFXV, Monster Hunter, and DQXI are incredibly small. At best, you'll see a small bump for a bit but that's about it

I'd blame Sega's inept marketing in the US and the EU, tbf. For some reason they just couldn't figure out how to get to people, wheras Sega Japan had Segata Sanshiro cleaning the plate.
That would absolutely hurt it. But I'd also imagine it was their earlier poor decisions catching up with them and that the Saturn may have been an unsalvageable system in those areas

logash

Oct 27, 2017
And yet Japan didn't prefer the handheld Sony option this generation, which was outsold by the PS4...

I guess they don't always 'prefer handhelds', they just like well designed or well supported platforms or ones that suit their tastes...
I don't get your point? The Japanese Market strongly prefer handhelds and the Vita had immense competition with the 3DS which was a much better option with way more games and cheaper. So what? You are saying that when they have the choice between a much better supported and designed (for many people) handheld they will choose it? Okay?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
the sad thing is this will just continue. by the time switch 2 is out, we're deep into next gen and most big devs have already established their engines and work in a way that'll require more power than switch 2 will have.
personally tho, i'm fine with nintendo first party games, indies, smaller scale japanese game and the occasional nintendo collab/exclusive from 3rd parties. i don't think losing big 3rd parties like the newest resident evil or final fantasy is that important for the future of nintendo's hybrid systems.

Yeah, I think this is the strange and unexpected lesson of the Switch: if you don't compete with Sony and Xbox for AAA dominance, you can win in other ways that still attract the "hardcore" gaming crowd.

Lots of people probably own a Switch and some other system anyway. And then there are the casuals like me, who are happy to play the titles available on Switch because they like the indie games more anyway.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PSP wasnt a failure tho? it sold nearly 20 million in japan and like 75+million in total. Thats great for a Non-nintendo handheld
Japan may be Vita's best region but....6+ million is terrible in japan . Thats not popular at all. I think the posters are trying to say your examples are flawed. Not that they hated the Vita.

So you'd say the Mega Drive sold terribly? Or the Saturn? I'd disagree.

Like I said, they were examples for systems that Japanese players took to, even though they're not considered all that successful.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The number of people holding out for FF7R to buy a PS4 after FFXV, Monster Hunter, and DQXI are incredibly small. At best, you'll see a small bump for a bit but that's about it

Couldn't the same be said for Switch? Who is holding out for Switch after Zelda, Smash, Splatoon, Kart, Pokemon, Mario, Xeno etc have all landed? I think FF7 has a lot more selling power than any SE game released on PS4. There are absolutely people that passed on ff15 and DQ11 that will be very excited to buy FF7. The game is legendary and many consider the psx era the last golden age of the franchise.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't the same be said for Switch? Who is holding out for Switch after Zelda, Smash, Splatoon, Kart, Pokemon, Mario, Xeno etc have all landed? I think FF7 has a lot more selling power than any SE game released on PS4. There are absolutely people that passed on ff15 and DQ11 that will be very excited to buy FF7. The game is legendary and many consider the psx era the last golden age of the franchise.
Not sure about that man. Like I get your argument but I feel like PS4 has hit the ceiling on it's selling power. FF7 will definitely give it a bump but I doubt it will be anywhere near the bump that like say MH gave it. I think that time has past for the PS4 but I suppose we will see.

Oct 26, 2017
No because the Switch is 2 year old platform that hasn't had all of Nintendo's heavy hitters and no price drops or revisions. Going by how any successful system has sold, there are plenty who haven't gotten around to getting one. It hasn't hit anywhere close to its maximum. Whereas the PS4 is a 6 year old platform, so there has been plenty of time for the majority of folk to get into it, that has had the overwhelming majority of its heavy hitters come out by now, including several big JRPGs and Monster Hunter for Japan. Not even those games were able to significantly boost sales long term in Japan

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

Like I said, they were examples for systems that Japanese players took to, even though they're not considered all that successful.
I don't think anyone would disagree that the Mega Drive, Saturn, or Vita sold terribly in Japan. Why is it so difficult to accept? We can compare these systems to actual successful systems in Japan, it's very obvious they underperformed. This is not controversial or "hateful", lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
way too many people. switch is just two years old, hadn't had any price cut, no revision, there's a whole audience that's interested in AC but not that interested in some of nintendo's other games, pokemon will be a massive system seller, etc. there's just no way to compare the sales potential of a 2 year platform and a 5 year old one when it comes to how much a big title would help with sales. pretty much everyone who's interested in ff7 already has a ps4.

Oct 25, 2017
No.
Switch is still full price, hasn't had a revision, no mainline Pokémon yet, and is just two years old. It's up YoY in Japan so new people are buying it.

Oct 27, 2017

Yea actually ,i do think the genesis and saturn sold badly lol

If the PS3 and Wii are considered "ok" sales at 10 to 12 million then in no way can the sega systems that sold half of that be considered successful

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
In your imagination where you put words in people's mouths to make your argument? Who's claiming that porting decisions are based on whether a dev is lazy or not? They haven't ported RE5 or RE6 despite those clearly being able to run. They aren't porting the other DMC games despite them being able to run. These are largely issues with Capcom as a publisher. So miss me with your presumptive instigating bullshit
Imagination? You can look at peoples post history you know, not the first time you've gone down the lazy Capcom route when it comes to Monster Hunter World not being on the Switch.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
Just a small reminder that, at this point in time (2 years and 2 months after release), the PS4 had:
>Bloodborne
>Driveclub
>Knack
>Was about to get SFV
>MGSV
>Infamous Second son
>Uncharted collection, and Uncharted 4 wasn't released yet

And a few multiplats like CoD Black ops 3 (I'm taking this from the best selling game lists on wikipedia here: Wikipedia page)
And somehow some people are saying that if third party games aren't already on switch, they won't be at all? I think it's a bit shortsighted approach.
If anything, the best 3rd party games for the switch are yet to come, as the average development cycle is about 3 years. The switch has momentum, people are willing to spend money, it's the best time to launch games on it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The two years headstart PS4 had matters
You can say this for Switch in 2021 when someone argues the swan song or cross gen exclusive game is going to jumpstart Switch sales further.

Switch hasnt even seen a price.cut or revision yet. The pool is deep

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
No because the Switch is 2 year old platform that hasn't had all of Nintendo's heavy hitters and no price drops or revisions. Going by how any successful system has sold, there are plenty who haven't gotten around to getting one. It hasn't hit anywhere close to its maximum. Whereas the PS4 is a 6 year old platform, so there has been plenty of time for the majority of folk to get into it, that has had the overwhelming majority of its heavy hitters come out by now, including several big JRPGs and Monster Hunter for Japan. Not even those games were able to significantly boost sales long term in Japan

What other heavy hitters are there besides mainline pokemon, and animal crossing? They launched with Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, and a pokemon game all within the first year and a half.

What other heavy hitters are there? They literally launched with their strongest mainline titles all within almost a year . Mario Odyssey and KArt were literally a couple months apart. On top of games like splatoon 2.

If sony had launched system that was 299 or below and had all their big hitters like uncharted, god of war, gran turismo, horizon, days gone all within the first year or so you possibly would be seeing similar sales. Maybe not the extent of zelda, mario kart, pokemon as those are just huge. But you would have seen a much faster sales adoption for sure.

I think this is being remedied by Sony for PS5. They know what Japanese market likes from their stables.

But not to go off, congrats to Nintendo, this is huge for them. Hopefully they continue and get all those 3DS developers releasing Switch games soon. I also think making a non portable switch with beefier specs would benefit them since switch now has basically replaced 3DS.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I don't get your point? The Japanese Market strongly prefer handhelds and the Vita had immense competition with the 3DS which was a much better option with way more games and cheaper. So what? You are saying that when they have the choice between a much better supported and designed (for many people) handheld they will choose it? Okay?
Yet they bought PSP despite it having vastly more immense competition from the DS which sold over 32 million in Japan.

Yet the Wii sold well in Japan at 13 million, far more than Vita and 2/3 of Japan's standard of 20 million for a winning home console.

Even the Wii U sold disproportionately well in Japan, it took the PS4 two years to pass the Wii U there.

Reality is: while Japan does generally prefer portable consoles, a major reason isn't anything to do with portability, it's simply that nobody has released a home console that is well designed, well supported and caters to their tastes since the Wii. They even gave the crappy Wii U more of a shake than everywhere else did. PS4 is a western designed and western focused PConsole, it's more an Xbox successor (literally, having an X86 chip) than a PS2 successor. Japan-focused devs tried to force the PS4 to succeed, even giving it mainline Dragon Quest despite it being by far the least successful system in history to receive a new mainline Dragon Quest. It didn't work.

And now as a result, Nintendo as a publisher is utterly dominant in Japan, because most other publishers have spent a decade simply not releasing their biggest and best games on the most successful hardware. Even games whose primary audience is Japanese.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And its only gonna get better when they bring out a new model which betters the god awful design choices of the original.

Oct 26, 2017
What other heavy hitters are there besides mainline pokemon and animal crossing? They literally launched with their strongest titles with Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon and a pokemon game all within the first year and a half.

If sony had launched system that was 299 or below and had all their big hitters like uncharted, god of war, gran turismo, horizon, days gone all within the first year or so you possibly would be seeing similar sales. Maybe not the extent of zelda, mario kart, pokemon as those are just huge. But you would have seen a much faster sales adoption for sure.

I think this is being remedied by Sony for PS5. They know what Japanese market likes from their stables.

But not to go off, congrats to Nintendo, this is huge for them. Hopefully they continue and get all those 3DS developers releasing Switch games soon. I also think making a non portable switch with beefier specs would benefit them since switch now has basically replaced 3DS.
Lol Fam, I didn't attack the PS4. Calm down. Its sold incredibly well. My point was that there isn't much reason for FF7R to kickstart sales for the system in Japan when it's already done as well as it could have there. You probably didn't even read my whole post and just saw red at me daring to say the PS4 can't sell much more while ignoring the fact that I was speaking purely for Japan

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
I've been wishing for it to happen, and it may finally happen:
The switch has a big userbase, people are willing to spend money on it and it's a bit weaker than the other consoles. It has everything for AA to come back, and especially japanese developpers. Something like Rune Factory 4 coming back on switch and Rune Factory 5 being developped show there's interest for third party studios and small scaled projects are being developped on the switch, much like what was happening on the 3DS but this time with enough power to have proper PS2 RPGs.

Nintendo just needs a big AA success on switch, and more should follow soon after.

Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Well Sony, you know what you have to do now...

hqdefault.jpg

:P

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
The Switch has been killing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up ahead of the PS4 worldwide when all is said and done.

You expect Switch to sell 116 million units lifetime? That is the projected accumulated sales figures for PS4 at the end of its 2019 Fiscal Year. Switch would have have to keep up with the pretty much insane record selling pace set forth by PS4 and retain that pace all the way to its 5th year on the market.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty important milestone for Nintendo, as higher visibility in the domestic market means higher likelihood of being the lead (or only) platform for games developed primarily for the Japanese market, and with the way Switch sales are outpacing PS4 sales domestically, the visibility is though the roof right now.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
You expect Switch to sell 116 million units lifetime? That is the projected accumulated sales figures for PS4 at the end of its 2019 Fiscal Year. Switch would have have to keep up with the pretty much insane record selling pace set forth by PS4 and retain that pace all the way to its 5th year on the market.
PS4 doesn't have record selling pace. The Wii and especially DS sold much much faster.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of being a portable or not the biggest factor in the success of the Switch is Nintendo's own software.

They sell almost literally 10 times as much software as Bandai Namco, the second biggest publisher in Japan.

They have several IPs that are bigger than Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yet they bought PSP despite it having vastly more immense competition from the DS which sold over 32 million in Japan.

Yet the Wii sold well in Japan at 13 million, far more than Vita and 2/3 of Japan's standard of 20 million for a winning home console.

Even the Wii U sold disproportionately well in Japan, it took the PS4 two years to pass the Wii U there.

Reality is: while Japan does generally prefer portable consoles, a major reason isn't anything to do with portability, it's simply that nobody has released a home console that is well designed, well supported and caters to their tastes since the Wii. They even gave the crappy Wii U more of a shake than everywhere else did. PS4 is a western designed and western focused PConsole, it's more an Xbox successor (literally, having an X86 chip) than a PS2 successor. Japan-focused devs tried to force the PS4 to succeed, even giving it mainline Dragon Quest despite it being by far the least successful system in history to receive a new mainline Dragon Quest. It didn't work.

And now as a result, Nintendo as a publisher is utterly dominant in Japan, because most other publishers have spent a decade simply not releasing their biggest and best games on the most successful hardware. Even games whose primary audience is Japanese.

Vita had nowhere near the third party support of PSP in Japan. Also it had nowhere near the third party support of PS4. it sold 6 million in Japan on back of few AA releases and Minecraft. Japan was also the first region where Wii started to falter. its peak was 2007 when in US Wii still sold well even in 2010 ( over 7 million units).