• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 18, 2018
Switch really is perfect for Nintendo and Japan loves their portable consoles. Also the price difference probably helped a lot. BotW and Splatoon are 2 of the greatest games this gen. Well done! I don't think it will pass PS4 WW sales but we'll see. Also, PS4 could take the lead back with FF7R later this year. That game is going to sell PS4s in Japan big time.
Is it going to sell more than Pokemon sword+ shield or animal crossing or Mario maker 2.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
btw, as for SW sales (retail), difference is still big

s3qIOgO.png

40,5 M (PS4) vs 24,9 M (NSW)

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
considering the top 10/20/30 charts are dominated by switch games, that gap is going to get smaller as well.
Switch is going to pass in SW due the big first party releases, but these top 30 sales are funny because it's common to see a PS exclusive game at the top with a big lead over everything else, then a bunch of Switch evergreens with a few thousands every week, so I don't think they would pass only with this.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Like I said, I feel like Capcom is more concerned about next-gen at this point than the Switch (outside of, say, Mega Man & Ace Attorney) going by their 2019-2020 fiscal year outlook.

Oh, for sure. They've been disinterested in the Switch since it's announcement. It was just meant as a quick jab regarding Capcom's various "tests".

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is going to pass in SW due the big first party releases, but these top 30 sales are funny because it's common to see a PS exclusive game at the top with a big lead over everything else, then a bunch of Switch evergreens with a few thousands every week, so I don't think they would pass only with this.
it'll be quite easy to pass ps4's software number, switch is just over 2 years in the market compared to ps4's 5 years, and some serious heavy hitters like pokemon and AC are still not released.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, not surprising. Switch is doing fantastic in Japan. But PS4 isn't doing poorly either, it's an OK-but-not-great performance from Sony.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
also, top 15 games on NSW (took retail only, since digital numbers are estimates)

7MdU23h.png

Only 2 games are from 3rd party publishers (+ 2 games from Pokemon Co.). Everything else is Nintendo.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
that's impossible (as you said) and will remain impossible for the duration of ps5's life. maybe a few years into next gen a portable ps4 becomes feasible, MAYBE.

lol, let me dream!

Speaking about only the GPU, if the screen is 720p then that means the GPU only has to push 921,600 pixels compared to 2,073,600 for 1080p or 8,294,400 for 4K. If the majority of games on the PS4 are native 4K then the GPU on a portable would just have to push 1/9th the amount of pixels compared to the PS5 itself.

Of course then there's the CPU, RAM and whatever other goodness to contend with... but I'll just sit and hope that a die shrink or two might get them closer to making that a reality :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, let me dream!

Speaking about only the GPU, if the screen is 720p then that means the GPU only has to push 921,600 pixels compared to 2,073,600 for 1080p or 8,294,400 for 4K. If the majority of games on the PS4 are native 4K then the GPU on a portable would just have to push 1/9th the amount of pixels compared to the PS5 itself.

Of course then there's the CPU, RAM and whatever other goodness to contend with... but I'll just sit and hope that a die shrink or two might get them closer to making that a reality :)
honestly i'd really like a portable ps4. i'd get to play a lot of the games i've missed out on, and if it has BC with vita/ps2/psp/ps1 games then i'd buy it for a high price.

also, top 15 games on NSW (took retail only, since digital numbers are estimates)

7MdU23h.png

Only 2 games are from 3rd party publishers (+ 2 games from Pokemon Co.). Everything else is Nintendo.
well i don't think 3rd parties can really complain here, they haven't put out anything for the system that could get into that chart anyway. maybe octopath, but SE fucked up the game's launch and undershipped.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Switch is on pace to outdo Ps4's Lifetime sales too

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Damn, this is put some things in perspective.
Ps4 has all of japan third party behind their back and Switch with only first party and abysmal third party is catching up really fast.
Really sad.

That just shows the strength of Nintendo first parties in Japan and weakness of third parties in general. Most third parties on Switch underperform, and PS4 titles in general underperform compared to Nintendo first parties

Oct 26, 2017
That just shows the strength of Nintendo first parties in Japan and weakness of third parties eveywhere else. Most third parties on Switch underperform.
Probably because the overwhelming majority of 3rd party support is elsewhere. You can't exactly build an audience for them when you're only giving a fraction of the support you're giving everywhere else

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Switch is on pace to outdo Ps4's Lifetime sales too
that would be really hard since ps4 will end up with +110M units sold. i think ~90M for switch would be a massive success, specially since i think switch 2 will come sooner rather than later and i don't expect switch to have a 7 year lifespan like ps4.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not true. Also, many third party titles on NSW underperformed in Japan compared to PS4.

Oh, it's true. Switch does receive some mid-tier support, in fairness.

PlayStation receives all major support in Japan from third party publishers. The entire third party industry rallied behind PS4. They'll do the same for its successor.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

7MdU23h.png

Do the same with PS4+Switch and you get similar results. Nintendo is by far the biggest publisher

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
that would be really hard since ps4 will end up with +110M units sold. i think ~90M for switch would be a massive success, specially since i think switch 2 will come sooner rather than later and i don't expect switch to have a 7 year lifespan like ps4.
If the switch pro is gonna be a real thing, wouldn't it elongate the lifespan?

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it's more likely that the Switch has a 7 year lifespan than a short traditional 5 year one. It's appeal isn't really tied to any of the other systems and its actually successful. It's lifespan will be more like the DS or 3DS and less so like the Wii U or GameCube

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Nintendo is by far the biggest publisher
That's my point. Nobody from Japan wants to compete with them on the same platform (except some "monsters" like DQ). If you project not titled as MH or DQ, people just won't care.

I don't remember any big new release for Switch, only ports
Ports are games too, you know. Or you suggesting that everyone who own Switch also own PS4 and PC?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the switch pro is gonna be a real thing, wouldn't it elongate the lifespan?
i'm still not sure what the pro is, i don't expect any big improvement specially since games still have to run on base switch.

I'd say it's more likely that the Switch has a 7 year lifespan than a short traditional 5 year one. It's appeal isn't really tied to any of the other systems and its actually successful. It's lifespan will be more like the DS or 3DS and less so like the Wii U or GameCube
i think it's kinda important for nintendo to put out a new system ~2 years into next gen. while 3rd party games aren't THAT important for switch, i still think putting out a new more powerful system that could get some 3rd party ports with ps5/xbox next is somewhat necessary. stuff like crash, doom, mortal kombat, all of those are the kind of games switch will miss out on if it gets too long into next gen.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Capcpom (or insert any other hands sitting publisher): That's nice. We'll keep monitoring the situation and wait and see before releasing more games.

Oct 26, 2017
Ports are games too, you know. Or you suggesting that everyone who own Switch also own PS4 and PC?
But ports don't have as much impact as brand new releases and, yeah, many people own both a Switch and another platform

i think it's kinda important for nintendo to put out a new system ~2 years into next gen. while 3rd party games aren't THAT important for switch, i still think putting out a new more powerful system that could get some 3rd party ports with ps5/xbox next is somewhat necessary. stuff like crash, doom, mortal kombat, all of those are the kind of games switch will miss out on if it gets too long into next gen.
Those are absolutely nice games to have but the Switch isn't exactly depending on them. They make up an incredibly small part of the library and don't come around often enough or even early enough to have too much of an impact. That and waiting out longer would allow for them to have a more powerful system with better battery tech to better justify the leap into the next generation. Not to mention, it's become expected for these systems to hold out for a while

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Late ports hardly ever do as well as the originals, regardless of platform. If people wanted to play those games they would have done so when they originally came out. Trying to use that as any form of judgement of third party performance on the Switch is highly disingenuous.

Games that have come out on Switch and PS4 at the same time have had generally similar performances.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Nintendo games dominating sales on Nintendo consoles has been the case since... the NES.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the numbers show the profound difference compared to first party releases and third party releases. Nintendo's first party software are just on another level, especially in Japan. Its the reality of the situation.

That stands across all platforms though for Japanese third parties. Pokémon Let's Go are underperformers at 10m copies sold but the amount of Japanese third party games to even get close to that figure can be counted on your fingers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are absolutely nice games to have but the Switch isn't exactly depending on them. They make up an incredibly small part of the library and don't come around often enough or even early enough to have too much of an impact. That and waiting out longer would allow for them to have a more powerful system with better battery tech to better justify the leap into the next generation. Not to mention, it's become expected for these systems to hold out for a while
i agree that they're not a very important factor, but they're A factor in why some people are enjoying their switch. for the first time ever people are getting day 1 portable ports of some of their favorite games, i think their absence would be missed if that stuff is no longer on switch next gen and the system has to only rely on 1st party/indie/exclusives. i dunno, i don't think nintendo wants to miss out on that stuff again.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's my point. Nobody from Japan wants to compete with them on the same platform (except some "monsters" like DQ). If you project not titled as MH or DQ, people just won't care.

First: They don't want to compete with Nintendo but western indies seem to compete fine? Also on PS4 they have to compete with the likes of Rockstar and Activision
Second: I doubt that everyone who owns a switch in Japan owns a PS4, but for people that are fan of the series they will buy a ps4 if they need to play the game, someone won't buy a switch because of a port. There is also the marketing, the marketing for a port is much smaller than for a new game

Oct 26, 2017
i agree that they're not a very important factor, but they're A factor in why some people are enjoying their switch. for the first time ever people are getting day 1 portable ports of some of their favorite games, i think their absent would be missed if that stuff is no longer on switch next gen and the system has to only rely on 1st party/indie/exclusives. i dunno, i don't think nintendo wants to miss out on that stuff again.
Ehh...very few of them are really day 1 and they're so sporadic that I don't think it'd be an issue. Of course, plenty of people are enjoying them. They're selling well. But I think those very occasional game are more of a nice bonus for the system than something that helps to really drive sales for the Switch. Their absence would hurt for sure but it's not as if they'll go away as soon as the PS5/XB2 come out. There will still be quite a few late ports from that gen they can bring over or even PS3/360 titles as many of them never showed up on a Nintendo system

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the numbers show the profound difference compared to first party releases and third party releases. Nintendo's first party software are just on another level, especially in Japan. Its the reality of the situation.
it's not like 3rd parties are trying and failing, nintendo is the only one on that chart because they're the only ones trying. if 3rd parties gave ps4 the same level of support that they're giving switch, their games would sell ~200k tops on that platform as well.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That stands across all platforms though for Japanese third parties. Pokémon Let's Go are underperformers at 10m copies sold but the amount of Japanese third party games to even get close to that figure can be counted on your fingers.

I mean, yeah...but that's what i said. Nintendo first parties are are the thing that sell in Japan. That's why Switch is so much stronger than PS4 and even Switch's own third parties.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
it's not like 3rd parties are trying and failing, nintendo is the only one on that chart because they're the only ones trying. if 3rd parties gave ps4 the same level of support that they're giving switch, their games would sell ~200k tops on that platform as well.

PS4 has had plenty of support and success, but its nowhere near as strong as Nintendo first party software, cause that's just what Japanese audiences gravitate towards.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah...but that's what i said. Nintendo first parties are are the thing that sell in Japan. That's why Switch is so much stronger than PS4 and even Switch's own third parties.

You said most third parties have underperformed on Switch. That's not true relative to what they have released.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 has had plenty of support and success, but its nowhere near as strong as Nintendo first party software, cause that's just what Japanese audiences gravitate towards.
i'm just saying, they haven't shown up with anything deserving of high sales so we can say 3rd parties don't sell on the system. look at microsoft of all publishers, they're there with a 700K seller that will keep selling and pass 1 million. what has capcom/SE/bandai namco/etc put out that sells that well on ANY platform in japan? just cuz nintendo's games sell ridiculously well doesn't mean 3rd parties can't sell as much as they can on ps4, they just don't put out games of that caliber for switch.