• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does such a thing have to do with my statement saying that most third party games have not sold compared to NIntendo's first party titles?
your statement doesn't mean anything if those 3rd party games don't sell that well on other platforms either. nothing in japan sells as well as nintendo first parties, does that mean everyone should just stop releasing games in japan? a game that sells 200-300K on ps4 can't come on switch expecting to sell a million copies.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So...did it pass the test?

Major third parties:

DentalAnyAfricanwildcat-small.gif

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
your statement doesn't mean anything if those 3rd party games don't sell that well on other platforms either. nothing in japan sells as well as nintendo first parties, does that mean everyone should just stop releasing games in japan? a game that sells 200-300K on ps4 can't come on switch expecting to sell a million copies.

I think you are misunderstanding my original point. First party Nintendo software account for a vast majority of software sold on Nintendo's machine because globally, that is Nintendo's attraction point for consumers, and in Japan its no different, the first party sales outweight the third party on the Switch itself.

The fact that they are beating PS4 sales with third parties and first parties is to be expected in that case.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you are misunderstanding my original point. First party Nintendo software account for a vast majority of software sold on Nintendo's machine because globally, that is Nintendo's attraction point for consumers, and in Japan its no different, the first party sales outweight the third party on the Switch itself.

The fact that they are beating PS4 sales with third parties and first parties is to be expected in that case.
you said 3rd parties underperform on switch. you can only underperform when you expect to sell more than you end up doing. i'm just saying that's not the case for 3rd parties on switch in japan.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I think people are misunderstanding my termage and that's why i keep getting so many responses. I am saying third party sales sell far less than first parties. That's what i mean by "underperform". its by comparison to first party titles.

Ok, yea, thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but to what extent is that because the other franchises are held back by being on less successful hardware?
What if Japanese devs released their biggest and best games on the actual winning hardware (DS, 3DS and now Switch)? Eg, the highest selling Dragon Quest is on DS. The last time they focused their prime efforts on the system that was actually winning was the PS2.

Sorry, forgot to reply. You definitely have a point, the schism has definitely had a hand in causing the Japanese market to decline.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Do the same with PS4+Switch and you get similar results. Nintendo is by far the biggest publisher
It's a bit more even out (8 Nintendo games vs 7 non-Nintendo games) due to SquareEnix and Capcom big IPs (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter) and Switch younger life compared to PS4.

yZCir5s.jpg

That's my point. Nobody from Japan wants to compete with them on the same platform (except some "monsters" like DQ). If you project not titled as MH or DQ, people just won't care.
The current japanese market situation for console gaming is very short of options.
If the game you want to produce can run on Switch there is no reason why a japanese publisher shouldn't aim for a multiplatform release on PS4 and Switch (and later PC too) especially because today multiplatform development is a common practice supported by the more popular middleware.
Only because Nintendo games sell a lot on Nintendo consoles, doesn't mean third-party games cannot be hit on Nintendo consoles.
They need to be desirable though which is the hard part (japanese console gaming is very stagnant).

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's sad to see Japan's home console market in this state, but it's great that at least Nintendo are able to find continued success with a dedicated video game system after the rise of smartphone gaming.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Because PC/PS4/X1 is still waaaaaay bigger worldwide and companies like Capcom concentrate on worldwide market?
Global arguments don't really work against Switch either though. It's selling huge in every region and if anything 3rd party software is doing even better in the west.

Switch is the only console that really serves the entire market well, both domestic and overseas.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Japan has mostly abandoned consoles to rub smartphone screens instead. I will never understand why or how that happened but that's the situation.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
Oh, for sure. They've been disinterested in the Switch since it's announcement. It was just meant as a quick jab regarding Capcom's various "tests".

Malicious not disinterested

Disinterest is not releasing anything or just porting your old games across

Malicious is splitting up games other consoles get on compilation discs, then charging twice as much for dd versions

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Japan is really big into handhelds, and even the Vita sold really well in Japan. Traditional home consoles are just not as big, so im not really surprised by this. I think that if Nintendo does release a smaller switch as rumored, that could be a big deal in Japan, making it more like a handheld, and less like a home console.

Nintendo also has some pretty successful franchises in Japan too, so lets not forget that.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do people still say that the Vita sold really well... well anywhere to this day.

It really didn't.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is good news. Hopefully Sony takes this information and turns PlayStation into a fully western gaming juggernaut.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely amazing and well deserved. I play my Switch more than ps4 or Xbox by far now. It's such a great console. It's very exciting to think what the future holds for this Switch and it's successor.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is about to pass X1 world wide and in only half the time
Yeah but third party games on X1 usually are also on PS4 and PC. Switch can't keep up in the AAA space because of hardware limitations and that's why companies like Capcom don't publish everything on Switch. It's okay for older and less demanding games like Onimusha HD, Okami or Megaman 11 but not worth the downgrades for REmake 2, Monster Hunter World and Devil May Cry 5.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah but third party games on X1 usually are also on PS4 and PC. Switch can't keep up in the AAA space because of hardware limitations and that's why companies like Capcom don't publish everything on Switch. It's okay for older and less demanding games like Onimusha HD, Okami or Megaman 11 but not worth the downgrades for REmake 2, Monster Hunter World and Devil May Cry 5.
Yeah this is a reality on the Switch no matter how much it sells, still a success story for Nintendo though, and whatever games it gets its good, its no ps4 portable

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, japanese 3rd parties doesnt need to make every game an AAA experience that targets the west?
Capcom has series like Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney, Okami that could get a new release that can launch on Switch and those platforms. The same is true about other 3rd parties

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think people are misunderstanding my termage and that's why i keep getting so many responses. I am saying third party sales sell far less than first parties. That's what i mean by "underperform". its by comparison to first party titles.
To be fair nearly everyone underperformed compared to the evergreens.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
this will change nothing. atlus, sega, capcom and spike chunsoft will continue to be terible on the switch. koei, square, namco, level 5, nis will not

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad to see Japan's home console market in this state, but it's great that at least Nintendo are able to find continued success with a dedicated video game system after the rise of smartphone gaming.
It would help if more cared. There is way too much fatalism about and indifference to the Japanese console market from big players for it to be in a better place.

Smart phones are a huge thing, needless to say. So are the actions of industry leaders.