• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that Switch is somehow "on its own", while the other 3 (PS4, xbox and PC) are close enough to make porting between them "easy and quick".
The switch having an ARM processor is very standard compliant, it's not harder to port to it than to ps4 or xbox feature-wise. Besides having to refactor some things to use the system's API (which you would have to do on PS4 and Xbox too) it's just the matter of hitting a compiler switch unlike the Wii U still sticking to PowerPC years after it was discontinued

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3rd party doesn't always choose for the console that has the most succes. While the wii was selling massively, 3rd party didn't created also less and no aaa games for it. While the ps4 for a long time didn't sell well. Still it gets all the support and AAA games for it.

I feel like 3rd party just wants to create games for the most strongly console. Also when looking at switch, 3rd party support still isn't on par with xbox and PS, this while de switch is doing extremely well.
While developers don't like being limited by hardware this hasn't been an absolute rule historically. SNES, PS1 and PS2 weren't the strongest platforms of their generation but still received the largest support

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoy Ani low key shittalking Falcom. :)
my problem with the Falcom issue is that it seems tehy're still relying on Sony for Asian support. my question is, how long is that gonna last? Playstation is American now and I'm sitting here wondering how much longer is Sony Japan and Sony Asia still gonna get support when HQ shown they don't really give a shit? the long Falcom takes to transition to something else, the longer they're fixin to hurt. they should have moved to an agnostic engine a while ago, like Unity or some shit

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
When talking about Disgaea 5 Complete NIS mentioned that they didn't even know which buttons were used for confirm and cancel on Nintendo systems.
Nah, you are joking right? Please be joking.

It will be true obviously, but even after all these years, the videogame industry finds a way to surprise me with bizarre stuff.

Just look at Falcom.
Ha, true. But they are one of the strangest of the bunch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it may have happened last week but we didn't get hardware numbers because of the holidays.

numbers according to famitsu:

PS4: 8,077,756 (272 weeks)
Switch: 8,125,637 (114 weeks)
Switch sales in DDR form:

HBFsd8S.gif

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
my problem with the Falcom issue is that it seems tehy're still relying on Sony for Asian support. my question is, how long is that gonna last? Playstation is American now and I'm sitting here wondering how much longer is Sony Japan and Sony Asia still gonna get support when HQ shown they don't really give a shit? the long Falcom takes to transition to something else, the longer they're fixin to hurt. they should have moved to an agnostic engine a while ago, like Unity or some shit
Well their "not really giving much shit" has been 1000 times better than Nintendo's so far.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well their "not really giving much shit" has been 1000 times better than Nintendo's so far.
in third party support? nah, that's happened in spite of Playstation not being Japan-focused. PS4 is still the #1 console, if you're not locked to a system, it still makes sense to support it. it's why Omega Labyrinth is even releasing on the system in it's stunted form.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
in third party support? nah, that's happened in spite of Playstation not being Japan-focused. PS4 is still the #1 console, if you're not locked to a system, it still makes sense to support it. it's why Omega Labyrinth is even releasing on the system in it's stunted form.

sinonobu is presumably talking about the fact that Nintendo just licenses to Maxsoft in most of SEA, who seem a bit crap.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, sony doesnt have to give a shit because they are currently the number 1 console with the biggest install base. Thats why they threw so many smaller 3rd party devs under the bus with the censorship thing, they will continue to support PS4 regardless. Its kinda like sony at the end of the PS2's life, they were basically guaranteed Japanese support so lets make the PS3 even more of a nightmare to develop for we dont care.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sinonobu is presumably talking about the fact that Nintendo just licenses to Maxsoft in most of SEA, who seem a bit crap.
oh yea, that. yea that makes sense. but as good as Sony is supporting that, my point is how long until they might pull the plug on that. though, I can see it staying up. hard to tell how Sony feels about that

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Nope, sony doesnt have to give a shit because they are currently the number 1 console with the biggest install base. Thats why they threw so many smaller 3rd party devs under the bus with the censorship thing, they will continue to support PS4 regardless. Its kinda like sony at the end of the PS2's life, they were basically guaranteed Japanese support so lets make the PS3 even more of a nightmare to develop for we dont care.
What censorship thing? The one that's been rightfully targeting the sexualization of minors so far? Because AFAIK, the DMC5 stuff ended up being a non-story in the end.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What censorship thing? The one that's been rightfully targeting the sexualization of minors so far? Because AFAIK, the DMC5 stuff ended up being a non-story in the end.
The targeting the minors thing is fine, but sony has also censored VNs that had 18+ year old women, there was even a thread on this I believe. Regardless my point was those devs that made a niche on PlayStation for tht type of content had it put in jeopardy which hurt them, especially with the lack of proper communication on what was going on

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018
I'm also curious about any word on how JP devs are reacting to the censorship rules which is extremely obviously having an impact, but any insight would be VERY interesting. Compile Heart we know is mashing that "port-to-Switch" button, even going as far as having Idea Factory localize Mary Skelter 2 exclusively on Switch, a VERY unheard of idea period. D3 bizarrely is choosing to make the previously Switch-exclusive Omega Labyrinth Life also available on PS4 in a heavily censored release that even changes the name to Labyrinth Life.

Looks like some of JP devs are reacting to the Sony censorship rules by mocking.

Watch the Omega Labyrinth Life reveal trailer, which is mocking Sony's Western sensibilities (around 6:18):

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they know that some fans will only buy games on a Sony platform. Cf hardcore Vita fans.
haven't sales of other games shown that many of them didn't jump ship to the PS4? and given the game seems to sell of the large tracts of land, wouldn't the lack of it further cripple the PS4's selling potential? a whole lot about this doesn't make much sense to me