• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where will Switch hardware end up before it is discontinued

• 120-130

Votes: 33 6.1%
  • 131-140

Votes: 143 26.2%
  • 141-150

Votes: 161 29.5%
  • 151-160

Votes: 125 22.9%
  • >160

Votes: 83 15.2%

• Total voters

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Itprintsmoney.gif

Wow, how close will it get to PS2 and DS! Might get close.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Will it ever stop exceling?

Having outsold the Wii is already remarkable. Will we actually see the PS2 being dethroned?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy numbers. I also don't think they are gonna have a failure next console. It'll probably sell even more.

Jawson

Jan 20, 2022
j4b3pj0.png

Is there any possibility of it hitting 1 billion software sold?

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Crazy numbers and to say that several people thought it was going to flop lol

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
With Switch Sports, the new Pokémon games, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, and whatever the rest of Nintendo's unannounced holiday lineup will be coming out, I feel that the Switch is going to continually selling well. Pokémon and Splatoon alone will do massive numbers this holiday.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
if the new revision of Switch hardware is counted into Switch sales and not separately then Switch would comfortably be the best selling console of all time.

Aug 12, 2019
These continued success numbers and projections are why I just do not think a Switch successor is coming in the next year. There's just too much momentum to rush one out. Still one hell of a turnaround for Nintendo that is just overall great I think.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Voted 160+ million, mostly because I expect the Switch will get a pro revision which will increase longevity to 2025 before the Switch is officially discontinued

Dec 2, 2020
They've said several times in the last year that Switch is only just past it's halfway point. The new Drake chip is almost certainly a revision to the console for 4K like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X so all Switch product lines combined will probably push it ahead of PS2 by the time of Switch 2 / the next console idea.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They've said several times in the last year that Switch is only just past it's halfway point. The new Drake chip is almost certainly a revision to the console for 4K like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X so all Switch product lines combined will probably push it ahead of PS2 by the time of Switch 2 / the next console idea.
Given what was leaked & how different the SoC is from the original Switch, I'm not so sure about that. Also, didn't Nintendo mostly say midway point (which was repeated over a few years)?

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Even with the next Gen consoles out, Switch still feels relatively modern. Guess being the only major hybrid on the market and having high selling titles spaced out evenly in its lifetime can help with that.

I wonder how much a price drop will increase the sales even more. Feel like they never will be one and with the current chip shortages and Nintendo can just make later models retain the $200/$300 price while the older models quickly leave retail within a year or two.

Oct 26, 2017
Shout out to those 19 people who said it would stop selling between 100-110M in a poll 4 months ago
www.resetera.com

Now that the Switch basically reached 100 million units, how far will it go?

I looked through the funny poll threads of the past: https://www.resetera.com/threads/one-year-later-betting-time-will-the-nintendo-switch-sell-over-100-million.20138/ https://www.resetera.com/threads/2-years-later-what-is-your-stance-on-switch-reaching-100-million.113520/ So now, that this...

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I still have some faith about the successor coming next year, and considering their expectations for this fiscal year, I wouldn't be surprised if it sells about 10 milion once the successor is out. I don't expect it to reach PS2/DS numbers, but it will pretty sure become the third highest selling console of all time.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Should be an easy target with only Splatoon 3, new Pokémon generation, and BotW2 which is most likely a March release again. And they still haven't done a price cut at all.
The only unknown is if production/stocks will get better or not.

OP
OP
Personablue

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
I still have some faith about the successor coming next year, and considering their expectations for this fiscal year, I wouldn't be surprised if it sells about 10 milion once the successor is out. I don't expect it to reach PS2/DS numbers, but it will pretty sure become the third highest selling console of all time.
I dont think there is any successor plan for the next 2 years. They are expecting 21 freaking million this year

TsarOfAbility

Oct 28, 2017
With Switch Sports, the new Pokémon games, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, and whatever the rest of Nintendo's unannounced holiday lineup will be coming out, I feel that the Switch is going to easily sell even more. Pokémon and Splatoon alone will do massive numbers this holiday.

You mean even more than 21 million? They adjusted their forecast downwards recently due to chip shortages, i.e. the limit is not consumer interest/software lineup

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe the PS2 has a legitimate challenger. Wow! Switch has been just an incredible machine for Nintendo.

TsarOfAbility

Oct 28, 2017
Will end up selling >1000% of Wii U, with best ever sellers for most of their biggest franchises. Having to negatively adjust projected sales because manufacturing cannot keep up - after 5 years on the market at full price (even higher than in 2017 with Oled). Best part for fans is that they managed it without a gimmick, but instead with a fantastic hybrid system which they can reiterate for at least the coming decade.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
I think the biggest threat to the Switch beating the PS2 is clearly supply constraints. IIRC Nintendo have already reduced their forecast for this year due to possible supply shocks. Here's hoping these issues get resolved

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Yeah it's likely going to beat PS2 seeing as the Switch hasn't had a price drop yet and lots of software is yet to come.

Hell, Switch Sports only just dropped.

Which is a shame cause this is, in my opinion, Nintendo's worst built console to date.

Seanlole

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to see the Switch surpassing the PS2 or the DS.
But it will surpass the PS4 and the GB/GBC and get a remarkable 3rd place in the most sold systems list at the end of the year.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
You mean even more than 21 million? They adjusted their forecast downwards recently due to chip shortages, i.e. the limit is not consumer interest/software lineup
Oh, I didn't mean more than 21 million, haha. Sorry, tired! I think I just meant in general it's going to sell a lot this year, and continue to do well.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I think it really depends on if the next Switch is a Switch 2 or Switch Pro.
I think the pro boat has sailed. There was a lottttttt of evidence (some that we were shown when vetting insiders, too) that pointed to a pro, but with the pandemic and chip shortage it's quite possible they'll just go for a full on Switch 2 (with BC of course) at this point.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Not in this lifetime man. DVD player, + 12-13 year lifetime will be unmatched.

Earlier in the Switch's lifetime I would have agreed with you. Now, I'm not so sure. By the end of the fiscal year they're expecting to reach 128 millions. Ps2 sits at 150ish. It's not that farfetched to close that gap in the next 3 years or so, especially if a pro model is released and/or we see a price drop. Let us remember this console hasn't had a single price drop yet, but it's still selling gangbusters.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I think it really depends on if the next Switch is a Switch 2 or Switch Pro.

Pro would be a stupid Idea. The market has shown since like forever, that pro consoles don't tend to sell as well as "sucessors". That's basically one reason why the Wii-U failed incredibly. Cause Users thought it was a slightly better Wii.

A Switch 2 would sell gangbusters, cause it would feel like a successor, similar to PS4 -> PS5.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This makes absolutely zero business sense. We're 2 years minimum for the successor, and potentially more if the current sales don't slow down. There hasn't even been a price drop yet and BOTW2 will need time to shine before any kind of announcement for next Gen is released.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
The more impressive thing is the switch hasn't seen a price drop since launch. This isn't a 100$ PS2 situation, it's pretty insane.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
2023: 128m (+21)
2024: 142m (+14m)
2025: 149m (+7m)
2026: 152m (+3m)
2027: Discontinued.

This seems realistic (even a little pessimistic) without a Pro version. 2023 calendar could be easily a 18m year with Metroid and BOTW 2.

Yeah the PS2 is toasted.