1. v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi
    Banned Member

Road to millions! Great to see Asian market growing on Consoles, Switch and Ps4 will help alot.

2. Falchion

Falchion

This system is selling like hotcakes.

3. Damn. Congrats to Nintendo....well deserved!

4. sinonobu

sinonobu
    Member OP

They don't lmao.

Out of three first party releases at launch only Mario got localized. What's more hilarious is that all those first party titles are literally European copies, too.

On top of that UI isn't also translated, and eshop is not accessible with Korean account at this point.

5. Koppai

Koppai

That's a little crazy that Nintendo didn't translate all their games at this point? They've had all year to do so...

6. sinonobu

sinonobu
    Member OP

7. Cinemikel

Cinemikel

Byuutiful

8. foxuzamaki

foxuzamaki

9. Wulfric

Wulfric

New DJ Max when?

10. Medalion

Medalion

NOTHING STOPS THIS TRAIN!!! Congrats Ninty

11. gnilres

gnilres

Insane

12. Isn’t the thread title wrong?

13. sinonobu

sinonobu
    Member OP

Yeah. I reported for the title change.

14. already being reported.

15. Fafalada

Fafalada

Non handheld you mean.
    DS outperformed Wii and then some IIRC - at its peak you literally couldn't walk the street without bumping into people using the device everywhere.

16. MasterChumly

MasterChumly

17. Plankton2

Plankton2

How does that compare with PS4? Or older Sony systems

What's the state of home consoles in Korea? PC bangs are king but I'm sure a decent amount of people might be interested in console stuff

18. Coolwhip

Coolwhip
    Banned Member

Soon Nintendo isnt the underdog anymore.

19. spad3

spad3

NINTENDOOMED!

but seriously, holy shit. Totally unfamiliar with that market and to see these kind of numbers pop out from that region is fckn insane. Good job Nintendo!

20. Compsiox

Compsiox
    Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account Member

Nintendo has been making only good decisions. Next they need to cancel their plan for pay2play for online.

21. night814

night814

Wow those are some crazy sales numbers then, wonder what the game sales are looking like.

22. DeuceGamer

DeuceGamer

Wow...that’s an amazing number for that market from what I’ve seen/read. Wonder what the forecast will be for 2018 now.

Nintendo seems to have done well in expanding in some of the emerging markets. Wonder if that strategy will continue in 2018.

23. number8888

number8888

I thought the console market is abysmal in SK (since PC is king), so this is quite impressive.

24. Fafalada

Fafalada

It's abysmal in raw numbers (PC was the size of China's market until 2011 or so, which was already massive then) - but it's not so small as to be irrelevant.
    PS2 had a multi-million presence, but the software sales were non-existent(IIRC tie-ratio was less than 1.0). This changed when NDS/PSP came out - even though they were still heavily hit by piracy. NDS was a phenomenon unlike anything I've seen - the machine was omni-present on the streets for about a year.
    I don't really know much about hw performance beyond that except that IIRC 360 was popular enough to sell similar amounts in Korea as it did in Japan for awhile, which seemed significant enough at the time.

25. Nosgotham

Nosgotham
    Banned Member

Ohhh hell yes!

26. Philippo

Philippo

Time to port some MOBA or MMORPG then.

27. Late to the party but damn nice!

28. Pooroomoo

Pooroomoo

Seems quite impressive to me.

29. mazi

mazi

30. cw_sasuke

cw_sasuke

Those sales are crazy when you compare it to to a market like the UK.

[email protected]

31. DrDeckard

DrDeckard

This things going to make any other consoles sales performance seem weak in comparison isn't it?

32. tolkir

tolkir

Congrats

[​IMG]

33. Zedark

Zedark

110k is huge! That's a really decent expansion of the market. Wonder if it can half a million by the end of 2018, that'd be a great result. Any word on software?

34. Musubi

Musubi

Switch going worldwide baby. Really great console. I'm excited for Feb and the release of Bayonetta 2.

35. Good job, though

That's remarkably frontloaded, and also just tiny. Like, even smaller than something like the Netherlands most likely.

36. Oregano

Oregano

On the topic of China it kinda got buried but The Pokémon Company is starting to distribute merchandise and said it will include the games in the future.

Would be weird to officially distribute games for a system that isn't officially distributed in the market.

37. Zedark

Zedark

Apparently DS sold 1 million by the end of 2007 according to this article. It's in Japanese, though, so I can only assume the machine translation conveys the truth. Don't know when DS launched in South Korea either.

Source: http://japanese.yonhapnews.co.kr/itscience/2008/01/09/0600000000AJP20080109001700882.HTML

38. Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Pokemon is really popular there. I think they will try to penetrate the Chinese market around Pokemon Switch launch.

39. ? Why, it's less than the UK opening in March? Or you mean that percentagewise it's not that far off UK numbers?

40. Zedark

Zedark

No kidding. UK is a big market (though not quite as successful for Switch), and these numbers are probably only a bit behind UK launch numbers for the month, which is really unbelievable when you compare the markets.

41. TheWraith

TheWraith

Come on now, population density aside, Japan's population size is around 126 Million, South Korea 50 million. Can't compare the two like that, Japan's a juggernaut in comparison.

42. LordOcidax

LordOcidax

Tell me that you are joking.... Please.

43. Nitpicker_Red

Nitpicker_Red

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aukcan fly, which are named penguin in some languages (French).

44. Sphinx

Sphinx

Are some scandinavia countries like the only places in the planet where Switch isn't a success??

the thing seems to be breaking records everywhere else.

EDIT: and the UK, of course

45. cvxfreak

cvxfreak

I'm probably misunderstanding your post, but if you're referring to population density, Japan's actually much lower than South Korea (336 vs 509). In terms of population size, Japan has a much larger population than South Korea - 127 million vs. 51.5 million. Land size is also not similar: 378,000km^2 vs. 100,200km^2.

46. mclem

mclem

They evolved it as a necessary long-term survival measure.

[​IMG]

47. Raijinto

Raijinto

What source do you have that says the Switch is clearly not a success in the U.K.? It has 3 exclusives in the top 10 best selling software in the week just gone as an example to contradict that.

48. Zedark

Zedark

This really a question?

I thought he was saying that Switch wasn't breaking records in the UK (doesn't match grammatically, but fits the content of the comment better). It's definitely successful in the UK. Not on the level of PS4 or Wii, but still successful enough.

49. olubode

olubode

Isn’t this number now wildly off? Surely double or triple that number now for all 2018?

50. pld

pld

lmao