• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Switch has been widely available in China since launch. This doesn't change very much. But it's a good move for sure just for appearances sake.

If Tencent is truly involved then this changes everything.. you're underestimating Tencent's marketing power and its deep pocket.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a hack, but an open secret backdoor. Xbox one works in the same way, and I assume switch would have similar backdoor as well.

Like I said above, there's a simple enough backdoor to enable region change for your Chinese Xbox one console. No need to import now.
Oh damn

Kind of wish I'd known about this, I imported all my consoles from HK for a hefty fee. Oh well

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
That's only very recent (2018 December).
For PS4, there was this backup and restore trick that has been in use since 2015.

For Xbox One, the backdoor was there since 2017. I got my Xbox one S in late 2017 and can switch region already.

how does the backdoor work?

Create an NTFS thumb drive with a dummy file in it, plug it to Xbox one, then switch to the region change settings page on the console. It will show all the regions instead of only China.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Tencent is truly involved then this changes everything.. you're underestimating Tencent's marketing power and its deep pocket.

Nah I know plenty. Just saying that most people into games in china aren't waiting on an official release. I'm sure it'll do fine officially but don't expect crazy official numbers coming out of china.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I know plenty. Just saying that most people into games in china aren't waiting on an official release. I'm sure it'll do fine officially but don't expect crazy official numbers coming out of china.
I'm just guessing it'll affect more the people who can't bother to screw with their VPN to get that online unblocked.

Oct 25, 2017
You think tencents value will be letting people in china play switch online?
for a consumer, it wouldn't be its only value but it would be important. On a company standpoint there's no doubt Tencent's involvement just makes Nintendo's efforts that much smoother regardless of the possibility of helping navigate Chinese online infrastructure.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
You think tencents value will be letting people in china play switch online?

I'd guess Switch Online may have its own servers in China, Tencent certainly has the resource/infrastructure to deliver that, they're fiercely competing with Alibaba in the cloud computing after all.

I'm also hopeful we'll see more Tencent games getting ported to the Switch, the CoD mobile game is actually great.

very few publisher understands Chinese market as Tencent does, and Nintendo can benefit a lot from Tencent's influence from 1bn+ wechat/wegame users all the way up to the central government

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I agreed Tencent will host the Switch Online service no doubt. I just don't know if it will tackle the issue of "limiting region free access" and "content blocking", or I guess it'a handled by the ISPs there.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's good that Nintendo is focusing on expansion. It's one the key advantages Sony has over them.

If they can successfully expand they will have unstoppable momentum.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of already mentioned Hong King there's also South Korea, Switch sold 110k units in it's debut month in December 2017. Not sure if we have seen a number since then but it has an official presence in Asia, I wouldnt call it near zero.

There's also the Taiwan market too. For the SE Asia markets they have different distributors. I recall this during Pokemon 3DS era since Singapore and Philippines had their own Event Pokémon serial codes or whatever.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
unlikely, 3M being all year on china is extremely lowballing.

Not the full 3M, but if they expected to sell 500-800k console or in that range, that plus the lacklusters sales of the first half 2018 could have a weight in their reduction (explaining why they don't went from 20M to 18.5M for exemple)

Coloursheep

Oct 31, 2017
Don't expect much from this, I've been living in China for the last eight years (and visiting since 2008) and there hasn't been a dedicated hand-held that has been popular here since the PSP was huge. I ocassionaly still see people paying vitas and once in a blue moon a will see someone with a switch. The rise of smartphones completely killed dedicated hand-helds over here.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's been a long time since iQue. Interesting that they are working with Tencent, Tencent has the ability to get games passed the check and raise awareness. But what are they going to do with the Pokemon Go clone which is under Tencent?

The same way Riot(owned by Tencent) maintains LoL while Tencent maintains Arena of Valour at the same time.

Besides, Pokemon Go is a Ninantic/TPC venture, pretty much all Nintendo does is pocket a cheque(and suffer stock market losses ;)), so its not like they have much to say on it.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't drybones be a problem inChina cause he's a skeleton?
Or he is he cartoony enough? Or do they have a redesgn for China?

More information from WSJ
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Some quotes from the WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-seeks-to-sell-the-switch-in-china-11555581221

Tencent filed in Guangdong because it is based in the province and the decision applies nationally, analysts said. You Yunting, a partner with Shanghai-based DeBund Law Offices, said the companies would need another license from China's central publishing regulator before they can sell games for the Switch.

A spokeswoman for Tencent, the world's largest videogame company by revenue, declined to comment beyond the regulator's announcement. A Nintendo spokesman confirmed that the company is working with Tencent on applications to Chinese regulators but declined to give details such as when the products would go on sale.

Some Chinese consumers have already gotten their hands on a Switch thanks to gray-market imports from places including Japan and Hong Kong. Daniel Ahmad, an analyst at Niko Partners, said that official distribution and marketing by Tencent could allow the device to "reach a much broader audience."

Nintendo tried to enter China with some smaller machines including the iQue Player with a Chinese-American entrepreneur in 2003. But it didn't succeed because it was hard for consumers to find game for the machines.

Tencent's partnership with Nintendo isn't likely to produce large revenue in China right away because console games make up less than 3% of the country's overall gaming market, said Shawn Yang, managing director of Blue Lotus Capital Advisors. He said most people in China, the world's largest videogame market, play games on smartphones or personal computers.

Mr. Yang said the Nintendo-Tencent tie-up would lead to more lucrative opportunities for both companies, including Tencent potentially making or distributing mobile games using Nintendo characters from franchises such as Mario the plumber and Legend of Zelda.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

lt519

Oct 25, 2017

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
For PS4, there was this backup and restore trick that has been in use since 2015.

For Xbox One, the backdoor was there since 2017. I got my Xbox one S in late 2017 and can switch region already.
A new button combo backdoor has been released for PS4s as well, no need to backup and restore from a non Chinese system.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on my time living there...the Tencent partnership could make this the first viable (LEGAL) console there. You can find everything on the grey market there so its not like if you want a PS4 or Xbox you can't get one but it's all grey market resellers.

You'd see DS's everywhere back in the mid 2000's when I was there for 2ish years.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
The stock is still down yoy significantly. I bought what I have right now at an average of $35, but it was up at $58 in February 2018 (and is now at $44).

I was pissed off at myself for not selling at 55 bucks which I'd always set as my target. I own half of my holding at 30 dollars and half at 14 dollars so I'm still well up on the deal. I'm going to hold out for 50 bucks and then sell out I think.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I was pissed off at myself for not selling at 55 bucks which I'd always set as my target. I own half of my holding at 30 dollars and half at 14 dollars so I'm still well up on the deal. I'm going to hold out for 50 bucks and then sell out I think.
The only time in my life I have ever sold at the exact peak of like a multi-year cycle was with NTDOY last year. I sold at $57.90 and didn't buy back in until November 2018.

It should hit $50 again this year between the Switch success and mobile Mario Kart.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The stock is still down yoy significantly. I bought what I have right now at an average of $35, but it was up at $58 in February 2018 (and is now at $44).

Nintendo stocks are so weird. In my opinion they are very undervalued, but I have very little knowledge on how it works.

Whoever shorted them last year made a great call, despite being an amazing year as a costumer.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This seems pretty huge?
Tencent is massive and I think Switch would be their first time partnering with one of the big 3.

I was half expecting this ever since Arena of Valor was announced on Switch, but yeah, it's big now that it's confirmed and the partnership might expand to mobile.

Mario Kart Tour in QQ Speed mobile skin soon?

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This seems pretty consistent with other players. Sony's price is also off peak and roughly equovalent to what.they were at same.time last year.